New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1069 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MadPooka View Post
    In Panel 3, does anyone know what she meant about living and dying, and also about what Roy said about another couple of days? I'm afraid I don't know what they're talking about
    Roy and Co. are trying to prevent the gods from voting to destroy the world. The tiebreaker vote concludes in about 2 days. Durkula is trying to rig the election.
    She thinks she'll live because she's going to kill him (which is also why he will die), but he knows she will actually die with everyone else.
    Even the wind will know agony.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Elan's concentrating face is great! I don't think we've ever seen him look quite so strained before.

I also don't think I've ever found him as relatable as I do right now.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    Roy and Co. are trying to prevent the gods from voting to destroy the world. The tiebreaker vote concludes in about 2 days. Durkula is trying to rig the election.
    She thinks she'll live because she's going to kill him (which is also why he will die), but he knows she will actually die with everyone else.
    OOOH! Right of course, it all makes sense now. haha how did I forget about that?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do I have the feeling that Elan is poking some fun at readers who try to read too much into the comic's "SFX" and how they translate into game mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbey View Post
    Looks like the verdict is... Stunned!
    Also prone.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    It must be turned into a smiley. The Gods demand it!
    You know, if my laptop wasn't in the shop, I'd probably make that.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPooka View Post
    OOOH! Right of course, it all makes sense now. haha how did I forget about that?
    I don't know. I mean, she was literally trying to kill her that panel.
    Oh, did you mean the world-destroying thing? It's been out of focus for the past couple dozen strips or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm guessing that it took Elan 11 attempts to cast mending once but not that he burnt through 11 spell slots to do so.

If Roy could transition to 5th ed. Eldritch Knight then at 3rd level he could summon his sword at will.

...crickets...

Oh, for goodness sake, Roy: Get a spear or throwing ax or something!
    Last edited by Basement Cat; 2017-03-30 at 06:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    -Staggered: You have taken nonlethal damage equal to your remaining HP. You can take a move action or a standard action, but not both. Yeah, this one is very niche.
    There's also a feat, "Staggering Strike", that can inflict the Staggered condition following a sneak attack.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyTheNeko View Post
    is that a rules joke at the end? it seems to be a combination of rules joke and the artwork joke.
    Yes, it's both a rules and artwork joke. Swoopy stars being a reference to the stunned, staggered, dazed and dazzled conditions. Those are all conditions that can affect a character's ability to take actions in D&D. Those conditions, artistically, are represented by the swoopy stars.

I believe the swirly eye reference is to conditions that affect one's mental well being. Conditions such as confused or fascinated are examples of these. I also think Rich uses swirly eyes to represent certain spell effects that aren't conditions, such as charmed or dominated.

Here is a link tothe conditions listed in the SRD if you want to see the mechanical effects of the conditions Elan cited.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2017-03-30 at 06:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Turns out it was much easier than expected to get a replacement weapon ... and it did a lot less good than expected.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan View Post
    Turns out it was much easier than expected to get a replacement weapon ... and it did a lot less good than expected.
    What did you expect? Did you expect something different? 😉
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2017-03-30 at 06:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by chy03001 View Post
    First place goes to the Sexy Shoeless God of War for having the most epic of D&D creeds to live by.
    The battle prowesses of the Halfling are pretty much entirely artistic licences, though.

I mean, Small Daggers, negative modifier to WIS, Barbarian class features he could not really benefit from?

If DnD rules were to be applied, I'd say that Lord Sojo had a decent chance against Beklar.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Speculation on how Elan can save Roy:

Maybe he could ...

Spoiler
    Show
    ... cast an illusion of a bag over her head, so she thinks she can't see.

Do illusions work like that?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

12. - Top - End - #72
    Colossus in the Playground

Why would Belkar not benefit from his barbarian class features?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    There's also a feat, "Staggering Strike", that can inflict the Staggered condition following a sneak attack.
    ...How does that work, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Speculation on how Elan can save Roy:

Maybe he could ...

Spoiler
    Show
    ... cast an illusion of a bag over her head, so she thinks she can't see.

Do illusions work like that?
    Something like that could work. After all, illusions block one's vision of things behind them. It would need to be an illusion which can move with the giant's head, though, or it's not going to work for long.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Only 11 tries! Woo! Roy will be so proud!

Also, wow, Andy somehow managed to not screw this one up :)
    11 tries. Elan is probably low on spells now.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    The battle prowesses of the Halfling are pretty much entirely artistic licences, though.

I mean, Small Daggers, negative modifier to WIS, Barbarian class features he could not really benefit from?

If DnD rules were to be applied, I'd say that Lord Sojo had a decent chance against Beklar.
    This reminds me. Tarquin's dagger was a Medium dagger, so is Belkar now wielding it as a short sword? I mean it's a 1d4, not much higher than his 1d3 previously, but it's not like the thing can resize.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Markozeta View Post

Priceless
    It must be turned into a smiley. The Gods demand it!
    I love this idea.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

This reminds me. Tarquin's dagger was a Medium dagger, so is Belkar now wielding it as a short sword?
    He's wielding it as a Medium dagger, because it's a Medium dagger.

Because it's Medium and he uses Small weapons, it's a one-handed weapon for him instead of a light weapon and he has a -2 penalty on the attack roll because of the size difference; but otherwise it's not particularly different from any other weapon he could wield.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

This reminds me. Tarquin's dagger was a Medium dagger, so is Belkar now wielding it as a short sword? I mean it's a 1d4, not much higher than his 1d3 previously, but it's not like the thing can resize.
    It's a small short sword, I suppose, but some DMs say that magic weapons and armor re-size for the users.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

No, I believe that per the rules he is a small creature using a medium dagger, he takes a -2 to his attack rolls for using an inappropriately sized weapon. The damage is unaffected.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    He's wielding it as a Medium dagger, because it's a Medium dagger.

Because it's Medium and he uses Small weapons, it's a one-handed weapon for him instead of a light weapon and he has a -2 penalty on the attack roll because of the size difference; but otherwise it's not particularly different from any other weapon he could wield.
    Interesting, okay. I mean, I guess the +5 is easily making up for the deficit, given that the geeks determined his off-hand was a +2 before. Now he's wielding +5/+4 if I'm not mistaken?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Nice comic, looks like Elan finally became slightly proficient in concentration
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course the cutlass didn't help. Roy tried to wield it like a longsword
    ungelic is us

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So the helium leak is patched, which is good. Which makes me wonder, can the Mechane conjure more from the Elemental Plane of Air and slowly regain lift? Having lost as much as it has, it would take time to get enough to clear the pass, but perhaps the Mechane won't crash, it'll just be forced to anchor until the balloon's filled up, providing time for the mutiny subplot while still leaving the Mechane in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    Not really, the cutlass is still right there next to him on the deck before it cuts back to Elan. And presumably Elan is about to descend back to the deck and help Roy duel the remaining frost giant fighter/barbarian/etc. ... hey, maybe Elan will end up dual-wielding the cutlass and his Chaos Sabre? That would be badass.
    ...You know, that would be cool, and not just because of the dual-wielding thing. Have you noticed that the members of the Order of the Scribble and the Order of the Stick have had quite a few parallels/foils for each other? Elan would make a great foil to Girard if that happened.

On the other hand, I doubt that Elan has TWF, or proficiency with a cutlass for that matter.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Nice comic, looks like Elan finally became slightly proficient in concentration
    You mean he passed the check (assuming a check was even necessary at the time).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...You know, that would be cool, and not just because of the dual-wielding thing. Have you noticed that the members of the Order of the Scribble and the Order of the Stick have had quite a few parallels/foils for each other? Elan would make a great foil to Girard if that happened.

On the other hand, I doubt that Elan has TWF, or proficiency with a cutlass for that matter.
    Alas, Dashing Swordsman only works with rapiers, if my possibly overly literal interpretation of Julio's wording is correct. So it'd be a liability in a fight, sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Markozeta View Post

Priceless
    I take back everything bad ive said about this arc. It was worth it for that face.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

This is like the first time you see your kid using the toilet like a big boy.

"Daddy is so VERY, VERY happy and proud with you Elan!"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I take back everything bad ive said about this arc. It was worth it for that face.
    ALSO a relevant example of seeing your kid using the toilet like a big boy for the first time.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder what that cutlass counts as. There are stats for a cutlass, but it's non-core(think it was in Stormwrack or something?).

And you're probably right either way.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.