+ 10 unearthed Arcana.. fast character that loose 1 hp per level
    +5 feat in complete warrior

+ swiftness boots × 2

230 land speed ?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: 230 land speed?

Boots of Swiftness as in the Haste power? The cap on the bonus is 30.

Also, this might help.

Some fly options double (admittedly fly) speed.

Plus there was that spear thing(from AEG I think?) that you merely need to carry to receive 2x speed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

swiftness boots double you land speed and has haste 3/day but it says dont stack

Haste gives +30 but dont stack

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by martixy View Post
    Plus there was that spear thing(from AEG I think?) that you merely need to carry to receive 2x speed.
    Rapid Wrath. Ghostwalk.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Become a were-cheetah. Once per hour, you can move at 10 times your speed during a charge instead of the usual double speed. This applies to both animal & hybrid forms.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I wonder what's the highest one can go without magic of any kind - a character with nothing beyond "extraordinary" abilities.

Can one have a low level character (say, human Barbarian 1/Monk 3) who can Hustle a marathon in just over 2 hours?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I wonder what's the highest one can go without magic of any kind - a character with nothing beyond "extraordinary" abilities.

Can one have a low level character (say, human Barbarian 1/Monk 3) who can Hustle a marathon in just over 2 hours?
    Have to check on that, because the top 10 fastest marathon times on record are all under 2:05 (but above 2:00). So I suspect that combination (depending on feats and skills) should easily be able to break the 2:00 mark.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Throw a single level of Ardent in there with the Freedom Mantle for an untyped +10 speed and you can take the Speed of Thought feat for a +10 insight bonus. It'd get less side eye than mixing the must-be-lawful monk and the can't-be-lawful barbarian.

I don't remember the exact build and equipment on it, but I had an Ardent once who got mind switched into a horse; I'd already had those two things, and horseshoes of speed put my tactical speed at 100 without really trying. I added Up the Walls and had a good laugh when everyone realized what was going on.
    Last edited by PacMan2247; 2017-04-26 at 08:33 PM.
    If something I've said can be construed in more than one way, there's a better than average chance that I meant it in the least offensive of the options.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't a properly-CL-boosted (with stacking Extend effects) Footsteps of the Deity break the sound barrier?

And doesn't Overland Flight set your Fly speed to 70mph by default (or close to it)?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

A human Barbarian 1/Monk 3 with the Quick trait (Unearthed Arcana) and the Dash feat (Complete Warrior) has a base speed of 65ft. A double move brings that to over 88mph... so it would take this character about 20 minutes to run a marathon.

For anyone wondering, a non-Lawful Barbarian retains all class abilities except for Rage. If the alignment shenanigans bother you, though, you can switch out Monk for Scout and get the same effect at this level.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post
    And doesn't Overland Flight set your Fly speed to 70mph by default (or close to it)?
    8mph, as it gives you a fly speed of 40 and allows you to hustle without penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    A human Barbarian 1/Monk 3 with the Quick trait (Unearthed Arcana) and the Dash feat (Complete Warrior) has a base speed of 65ft. A double move brings that to over 88mph
    ???

His base speed is 6.5 mph. Double move brings that to 13 mph. How do you get 88mph? Even doing straight conversion of moving 65 ft every six seconds--instead of D&D math which is designed to synch up with a league--you only get ~7.4 mph, or 14.8 when hustling.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Don't forget the Chaos monk ACF from Dragon magazine, i think it still had the speed bonus and whas non-lawful aligned.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Does the monk and barb movent even stack? They both have the exact same name for the increased speed... the barbs doesn't say a type, but regardless since it has the same name doesn't the two supercede each other?

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    A human Barbarian 1/Monk 3 with the Quick trait (Unearthed Arcana) and the Dash feat (Complete Warrior) has a base speed of 65ft. A double move brings that to over 88mph... so it would take this character about 20 minutes to run a marathon.
    130 ft per round - 21 and 2/3 ft per second: 156000 ft in two hours - 29.54 miles in two hours - a marathon is 26.2 miles - so it's a bit faster than the world record, but it's not Hustling a marathon in 20 minutes.

A base speed of 60 ft also allows for the world-record break, at Hustle pace - but a base speed of 55 ft won't.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-04-27 at 02:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ahem.

3.5 conversion of base speed to overland movement treats miles as having 6000 ft. 10 ft. of base land speed translates to 1 mph (walking) or 2 mph (hustling) during overland movement.

Consequently, 65 base speed will be 13 mph during hustle and you'd need 70 ft. to break world record.
    Last edited by Lazymancer; 2017-04-27 at 03:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I will share the build latter but i reached 1400 or more via little bit optimization in pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by death390 View Post
    Don't forget the Chaos monk ACF from Dragon magazine, i think it still had the speed bonus and whas non-lawful aligned.
    I was going to suggest the wild shaping ranger from UA which gets the barbarians fast movement. but...

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Does the monk and barb movent even stack? They both have the exact same name for the increased speed... the barbs doesn't say a type, but regardless since it has the same name doesn't the two supercede each other?
    Good point. I don't think they do.
    If they did, mixing ranger, barbarian and Chaos monk would give the bonus 3x.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beheld View Post
    Wholly Crap! Did someone just make an argument based on the actual rules text! You clearly don't belong in this thread.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, doesn't a properly-CL-boosted (with stacking Extend effects) Footsteps of the Deity break the sound barrier?
    Chuck E Cheese

Does more than break the sound barrier, he goes faster than the speed of light.

Also featured: 75.6 quadrillion damage and setting almost the entire continental United States on fire
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Chuck E Cheese

Does more than break the sound barrier, he goes faster than the speed of light.

Also featured: 75.6 quadrillion damage and setting almost the entire continental United States on fire
    If I recall correctly, that build has been invalidated by errata, I don't remember why/what, and I sure am not going to review the entire build to find it. Regardless, there's probably enough tricks in there to still win the marathon.
    Wholly Crap! Did someone just make an argument based on the actual rules text! You clearly don't belong in this thread.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Twurps View Post
    If I recall correctly, that build has been invalidated by errata, I don't remember why/what, and I sure am not going to review the entire build to find it. Regardless, there's probably enough tricks in there to still win the marathon.
    Footsteps Of The Divine got turned into a dischargeable spell, making it an invalid target for Persist.

Nog een vrolijke Koningsdag gewenst!
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-04-27 at 01:04 PM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Lazymancer View Post
    Ahem.

3.5 conversion of base speed to overland movement treats miles as having 6000 ft. 10 ft. of base land speed translates to 1 mph (walking) or 2 mph (hustling) during overland movement.

Consequently, 65 base speed will be 13 mph during hustle and you'd need 70 ft. to break world record.
    I was focusing on "true mile" not "D&D mile".

That said, if you're going for, not the marathon, but the 1 mile record "at the hustle" rather than at the Run (since in D&D it is very hard for low level characters to run for much more than 1 minute) - you do need 140 ft per round (70 ft base speed) to hustle 5280 ft in less than 4 minutes.

there's probably enough tricks in there to still win the marathon.

I was also thinking along the lines of someone who fits with this:

http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/...expectations-2

no more than 5th Level total, no Supernatural abilities whatsoever, no magic items. The idea being - to create a "realistic, record-breaking low-level D&D character".
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-04-27 at 02:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post

Nog een vrolijke Koningsdag gewenst!
    Thanks, we had a blast!

I was also thinking along the lines of someone who fits with this:

http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/...expectations-2
    no more than 5th Level total, no Supernatural abilities whatsoever, no magic items. The idea being - to create a "realistic, record-breaking low-level D&D character".
    That is a fun thing to read (though I only got halfway through yet). Wasn't there a similar topic on this forum about Archery once? Turns out a lvl5 d&d archer compared pretty well to real life archery (by the pro's) as well.

23. - Top - End - #23

I was going to suggest the wild shaping ranger from UA which gets the barbarians fast movement. but...

Good point. I don't think they do.
    If they did, mixing ranger, barbarian and Chaos monk would give the bonus 3x.
    Monk's stacks with Barbarian's because one's an Enhancement Bonus and the other's an Untyped Bonus.

However, a case could be made that Barbarian's doesn't stack with Wildshaping Ranger's - because they're both from "the same source" : Fast Movement, Barbarian Version - the Ranger's is "as the Barbarian".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

A Shadow Creature (template) has all movement types increased by +50%.

25. - Top - End - #25

That helps the OP - but is a bit less helpful for creating "D&D version of real-world athlete" because it's overtly supernatural.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    ???

His base speed is 6.5 mph. Double move brings that to 13 mph. How do you get 88mph? Even doing straight conversion of moving 65 ft every six seconds--instead of D&D math which is designed to synch up with a league--you only get ~7.4 mph, or 14.8 when hustling.
    130 ft per round - 21 and 2/3 ft per second: 156000 ft in two hours - 29.54 miles in two hours - a marathon is 26.2 miles - so it's a bit faster than the world record, but it's not Hustling a marathon in 20 minutes.
    Forgive me, Forum, for I have done math on six hours' sleep over two days. I have failed you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    There's definitely an argument here, but I think that they stack. The abilities accomplish the same thing and have the same name, but they have different limitations and (more importantly) bonus types. This is firmly "ask your DM" territory.

However, a case could be made that Barbarian's doesn't stack with Wildshaping Ranger's - because they're both from "the same source" : Fast Movement, Barbarian Version - the Ranger's is "as the Barbarian".
    I was thinking the same thing. That class specifically calls out the Barbarian when describing the ability. That should make it count as the same source.

If you want to rule otherwise, though, you can toss on Druidic Avenger for another +10ft.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Become a were-cheetah. Once per hour, you can move at 10 times your speed during a charge instead of the usual double speed. This applies to both animal & hybrid forms.
    Y'know, it's occurred to me that a few of these animals in Monster Manual have pretty unique abilities, that are neither present in other creatures or emulated by any kind of class ability or feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Do you consider wildshape to be magic? I'm not sure if this quite fits the spirit of this, but something you could do is be a level 5 druid with the Aberration Wild Shape feat would allow you to wildshape into a Clamor from the Tome of Horror II (its a 3rd party book from Frog God Games). They get an extraordinary ability called Speed of Sound: "Once per day, a clamor can move at the speed of sound for a number of minutes equal to its Hit Dice. Its speed becomes 6,820 feet per round (1,364 squares), but it cannot attack or make use of any of its other abilities when moving this way."

Base clamor has 4 HD so for 4 minutes your speed becomes 6,820 which if you go during the whole time, I believe means that you would move 272,800 ft in 4 minutes if my math is correct.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by IIzak View Post
    Speed of Sound ... Its speed becomes 6,820 feet per round (1,364 squares)
    Interesting. Does it just fix the speed to this number, or does it vary the speed based on conditions? (Speed of sound changes based on the composition of the medium, so, for example, in water, it's like 4x faster and in air at high altitudes it's somewhat lower). If it doesn't, they should call it "speed of sound in dry air at 20°C".

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Allanimal View Post
    Interesting. Does it just fix the speed to this number, or does it vary the speed based on conditions? (Speed of sound changes based on the composition of the medium, so, for example, in water, it's like 4x faster and in air at high altitudes it's somewhat lower). If it doesn't, they should call it "speed of sound in dry air at 20°C".
    Nah the part in quotation marks in my above post is all the information they give, so it looks like it is "Speed of sound in dry air at 20 degrees celcius,"

They probably just thought that was a bit of a mouthful