New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Kickstarter Discussion Thread - How the Paladin Got His Scar (SPOILERS!)

Backing the Kickstarter all those years ago was worth it just for this. Such and awesome story. Although the story of Shojo and Miko may have just gotten even more tragic than it already was.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Kickstarter Discussion Thread - How the Paladin Got His Scar (SPOILERS!)

Who knows? If we ever return to the Jirix administration, he might come down with a case of "improperly preserved gouda".

It won't happen, but it's a wonderful callback to a more lighthearted time. That whale though. That was a side-splitter. I always figured that paladin mounts tasted like vanilla and/or chicken.
    Last edited by Yana; 2017-05-15 at 11:58 PM.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Yes, definitely. Most likely outcome is that I bundle it with the Therkla story and a few other Azure City-themed short stories and sell it as a book, rather than as solo stories like I did Belkar and Halelo/Julelan. Best case scenario would be this Fall, more likely is holiday season.

A lot. Main comic is going to be getting my full attention probably for the next month, then I'll need to see whether I need to split time with an income-generator of some sort.
    One of my classmates also reads OOTS but missed out on the Kickstarter. Guess what she's getting for Christmas.

And porthos, you took the words out of my mouth. This comic is one of those pieces of art that softly but firmly grabs you by the heart and doesn't let go. There are a few lines in Night Watch that I go back to every few weeks. The cover is so worn that the pages fall open to those lines automatically. I just sit and look at those lines for a while. I think I might be doing something similar with some of your pages.

Thank you.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Excelent addition to the Oots lore! Glad I was able to donate to the KS when it was on!

also (sorry for pointing this out, but there ir a grammar error in the Ettin dialogue in page 10)

Oh, no,I can’t do that. Stopping him would would constitute an unreasonable restriction of his rights.
    There is an extra WOULD
    Used to be Halfling Rogue/Ranger/Shadowdancer...
    Miss that character a lot...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zhao is the greatest. That is all.

(Well, ok, the fight with the troll ettin troll ettin was also pretty fun. As is Supreme Leader (II), and "The Grinch Who Stole Reservoir Day". And, of course, O-Chul remains amazing and the greatest Paladin to ever have only a stack of Fighter levels, and the flashback story is a really nice bit of misdirect - I was with Saha the whole way. Also "45 minutes later". OK, lots of things to like. But Zhao is still the greatest.)

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Thinking about this, as I said over at KS, I think the only very, very, very minor criticism I would have of this is that Miko 'learning life lessons' was a tiny bit too neat.

Just a tiny bit. Like a smidgen.
    Eh. The O-Chul lesson was a bit on the nose, sure. The Gin-Jun lesson was, IMO, a pretty nice bit of characterization, explaining how someone ostensibly raised by Shinjo could end up like that.
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2017-05-16 at 12:05 AM.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Since I lightly criticized the 'Miko life lessons', let me balance the scales by commenting that Rich MASTERFULLY threaded the needle of "Sapphire Guard Doing Bad Things" that has been the center of the raging controversy ever since SoD hit our shelves.

It could have so easily not worked. It could have so easily been "Just OK". Instead it was absolutely on point, and well, perfect.

You had an out of control leader. A subordinate who had misgivings but didn't have the courage of convictions to rock the boat too much until the situation changed. And a bunch of, well, sheep, going with the flow.

Until their eyes were opened to what was really going on.

Then EVERYONE, with one notable exception, stood up for What Was Right.

It took a LOT for them to see reason. But reason they still saw.

You also had a very good answer as to why the hobgoblins didn't just obliterate Azure City beforehand (SPOILER: They could have AND at least some were planning on it).

And how both O-Chul and Hinjo found themselves joining the SG? Just beautiful.

So, yes. How the Paladin Got His Scar stuck the landing, as they say. And a VERY difficult landing, I might add.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Up since 4 this morning, spent all day driving to D.C., and had to read it before I went to bed. Totally worth it. I can never get enough O-chul.

Porthos, you called it as the Good-version of Start of Darkness.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Great story, but my pedantry must be dealt with.

On page 82, when the sword chops through the polearm, the polearm's pieces are moving outward, rather than inward. Also, the sword slashes in the midsection when the angle would look more natural going into the shoulder. Either that, or the polearm should be at a different angle while the sword should be swinging under the target's arm (though that angle would likely cover someone's face).

Still, very interesting look into the characters' pasts.

9. - Top - End - #39

In retrospect, this strip has a LOT more weight than it did.

"As long as I am Supreme Leader..."
    100%. I don't know why, but basically all and any goblins and hobgoblins are the most fun characters for me.

Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Yes, definitely. Most likely outcome is that I bundle it with the Therkla story and a few other Azure City-themed short stories and sell it as a book
    called it! Please title it The Blue Book so I can feel sufficiently like a future psychic.
    !

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post

Eh. The O-Chul lesson was a bit on the nose, sure. The Gin-Jun lesson was, IMO, a pretty nice bit of characterization, explaining how someone ostensibly raised by Shinjo could end up like that.
    It just felt a tiny bit like caricature than characterization. On the other hand, Miko is exceedingly difficult to write. Plus the rest of her scenes were very well done and believable.

It's not something I want to make a big deal about. It's just something that I see looking back on the whole story.

(As I think about it even more, I think going to the well twice on Miko Life Lessons which was what is really giving me my minor mixed feelings.)

FWIW, I think when we found out that Miko views herself as a Special Person of Destiny in the bonus strips in W&XP was handled a lot better. But this book is also not Miko's Story AND it's an exceedingly minor quibble.

So consider my thoughts as read, as I really don't want to detract from what I think will be viewed as a masterpiece in time.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, now we know about the lore...Plus explanation something about "Why are there Chinese and Korean names?"
    I wonder what happened to Realm of the Dragon? Sure they might have peeve with their blue cousin, but there is a thing called "ancestral birthright" and having Goblin nations at the border might not sit well with them.
    Depends if they decided to push their influence now that Azure City is officially gone. Come to think of it, that might be another reason for other cities to join with Gobbotopia for "protection".
    Also was it me or I am seeing Miko as Kenshiro?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

12. - Top - End - #42
    Colossus in the Playground

This might be the exhaustion talking but one interesting thing is that the title, "How The Paladin Got His Scar," implies that O-Chul already had levels in Paladin when he got his scar. He didn't. At this time he was a single-class Fighter, not a Paladin.

At least, he wasn't technically a Paladin. But he was definitely a paladin through and through, and more of a paladin than Gin-Jun ever was or would be.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    This might be the exhaustion talking but one interesting thing is that the title, "How The Paladin Got His Scar," implies that O-Chul already had levels in Paladin when he got his scar. He didn't. At this time he was a single-class Fighter, not a Paladin.

At least, he wasn't technically a Paladin. But he was definitely a paladin through and through, and more of a paladin than Gin-Jun ever was or would be.
    Treat the entire story as a Narrated Flashback.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

i just finished the o-chul PDF. and i must say, it was beautiful. loved all the things that tied in to what we've already seen in the comic and the like.

LOVED the hobogoblin-centric focus of a majority of the PDF. as a Goblinoid myself i appreciate learning about how a group of humans did their best to protect my cousins. loved the little cultural exchanges as well, very nice overall.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2017-05-16 at 12:30 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Well, now we know about the lore...Plus explanation something about "Why are there Chinese and Korean names?"
    Oh, yeah, I forgot "nobody knew why they called themselves the Ancient Empire, but besides that, times were good."

I wonder what happened to Realm of the Dragon?
    IIRC from... Don't Split The Party?... the red dragon died and was replaced by a much younger, much less intelligent white dragon, and they're dealing with all the internal squabbling that opened up.
    Show
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    IIRC from... Don't Split The Party?... the red dragon died and was replaced by a much younger, much less intelligent white dragon, and they're dealing with all the internal squabbling that opened up.
    It was actually a standalone comic in SS&DT, though I really wonder whether it might have been originally meant to go in the never-produced OOTS setting book, since that's probably where a lot of this worldbuilding on the South came from. The Ancient Empire was previously namedropped in the Azure City excerpt from W&XP.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

You also had a very good answer as to why the hobgoblins didn't just obliterate Azure City beforehand (SPOILER: They could have AND at least some were planning on it).
    I don't think they could have. What we saw was the end result of 20 odd years of peace and the massive infrastructure projects Supreme Leader Mk II was talking about. At the time of this story they clearly didn't have the population.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    It was actually a standalone comic in SS&DT, though I really wonder whether it might have been originally meant to go in the never-produced OOTS setting book, since that's probably where a lot of this worldbuilding on the South came from. The Ancient Empire was previously namedropped in the Azure City excerpt from W&XP.
    Yeah, the... I want to say DStP again... pdf bonus content included some snippets of the splatbook, and the Realm of the Dragon was mentioned in there (I think). The black and white stuff - realm of the dragon, dirt farmers in Medieval Town, "how baby water elementals are born" - were explicitly described as being recycled from the splatbook.

(Sorry for the lack of clarity, I'm sleepy and doing this away from the computer I have my pdfs on. If someone has the pdfs at hand, I stand to be corrected.)
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2017-05-16 at 12:55 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't believe I didn't realize this until now: The Sapphire Guard are basically the SCP Foundation. They do horrible things in the darkness so the rest of us can live in the light.

The Snarl escaping containment would be an XK-class End of the World Scenario...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is an awesome story! In fact I might want to buy it when published, even though I have read it already. But I take from the Giant's comment that other pdf stories have already been published? I didn't know that.

Also, thank you very much for showing us a sane Miko.
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    This is an awesome story! In fact I might want to buy it when published, even though I have read it already. But I take from the Giant's comment that other pdf stories have already been published? I didn't know that.

Also, thank you very much for showing us a sane Miko.
    Uncivil Servant and Haelo & Julelan are available on Gumroad as downloadable PDFs.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-05-16 at 01:05 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

OldWizardGuy

So, Saha Kapoor and her kids... If they're moving to Cliffport or Greysky or points nearby, did we ever see them again? Particularly her kids? They would have been young adults by the time of the main story.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Halfling in the Playground

Loved the comic! O-Chul continues to be awesome.

I did have one question, though. Early on, Nguyen is injured and we get this exchange:

Nguyen: "Captain...if the hobgoblins attack again...you know you can’t count on her, right"
    O-Chul: "I know. But right at this exact moment, a live coward is more useful to me than a dead hero [...] Or a half- dead hero who struggles to talk when he has several broken ribs."

And Nguyen apologizes.

Is this supposed to be:

* A joke about how in high fantasy there's very often 'dying' characters who, despite crippling injuries, manage to gasp out entire pages of exposition and warnings before finally perishing?

* An implication that Nguyen isn't really injured and was faking it out of cowardice like Zhou, hence him being able to warn O-Chul when his injuries should have precluded it?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

For timeline purposes, HtPGHS takes place approx 12 years before the start of the comic (the attack on Redcloak's village was 22 years prior and that in turn was 34 years before the start of the comic).

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't think it's supposed to be a meta joke - just O-Chul humorously chiding Nguyen not to strain his injuries by talking.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by ZMiles View Post
    Loved the comic! O-Chul continues to be awesome.

I did have one question, though. Early on, Nguyen is injured and we get this exchange:

Nguyen: "Captain...if the hobgoblins attack again...you know you can’t count on her, right"
    O-Chul: "I know. But right at this exact moment, a live coward is more useful to me than a dead hero [...] Or a half- dead hero who struggles to talk when he has several broken ribs."

And Nguyen apologizes.

Is this supposed to be:

* A joke about how in high fantasy there's very often 'dying' characters who, despite crippling injuries, manage to gasp out entire pages of exposition and warnings before finally perishing?

* An implication that Nguyen isn't really injured and was faking it out of cowardice like Zhou, hence him being able to warn O-Chul when his injuries should have precluded it?
    I interpreted it as a reminder to Nguyen that he shouldn't risk hurting himself further by trying to talk right then.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, that was just amazing. Great hopping buddha, so relevant and important. Very much in sync with a lot of thoughts I've been having about the world - "Everyone who is for war is really on the same side, everyone who is for peace is really on the same side." serious shades of C.S. Lewis there too, i.e. "The Last Battle". And yes, I agree with other folks who have posted, a wonderful mirror image to "Start of Darkness", Lewis vs Moorcock's Elric tragedy. The ends can justify the means if it's yourself you're sacrificing- other people, no not at all.

And 95 pages of work, my inner stat geek tells me that if we imagine that as equaling one page of the regular strip every 3 days - a very fast turnover, really - that would be the equivalent of 285 days of Oots updates. In other words, totally worth the wait the last few weeks.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ow wow. A call-forward/in-joke that COMPLETELY slid by me on first read through.

"What are you doing creeping around listening out there? I really should put a door up one of these days."

Yes... Yes you should have.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, we actually got backstory for a 3-panel gag character. Nice job screwing over another neutral goblin settlement, Redcloak.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Nice job screwing over another neutral goblin settlement, Redcloak.
    It'll all be worth it. You'll see.
    Show