New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    That's my main issue with Fallout 4, as I put in some too-crude language a few months back. The storyline INTRUDES on the sandbox, briefly turning it into a hallway. Skyrim had the same issue in certain ways, but it's heavily exacerbated in Fallout 4. Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas...none of them ever required you to TOUCH the story past the prologue.

Skyrim and to a much larger extent Fallout 4 locks certain content and non-story quests behind the main story quest progression. In Skyrim it can be largely overlooked unless you want to play a character who heavily utilizes Shouts, but Fallout 4 is a whole 'nother beast.
    Well, I generally agree, though personally the only thing I found to be an affront in that matter was the whole Lifetime movie of the week 'Scientists Stole my Baby' plot. The implicit urgency of that motive kind of kills any exploration impulse the game might otherwise foster. Find some other, less primal mcguffin to hang the plot on, and the cognitive dissonance should more or less disappear. It's kind of weird how saving your baby is somehow more urgent than saving the world, but I think it really is true. It's just the way we're wired. FWIW, I also think the problem could be defused simply by putting some arbitrary obstacles into the main plot arc, to prevent you from just beelining the main plot, and artificially enforce exploration. The criminally underrated Mad Max game by Warner Brothers did this, and it works pretty well.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

Frankly, even the button to open the secret room in Kellogg's house doesn't exist if you haven't talked to Nick. That's some hard core railroading.

That said, as Sandboxy as even Morrowind was, it had things you had to go through the main quest for. Oblivion locked away Sancre Tor, Skyrim had Sky Haven Temple and the top of Throat of the World. Fallout 3 had Raven Rock. New Vegas locked away Caesar's Fort. Even the most open games lock things away.

The Pitt is probably my second favorite of F3's DLC. Broken Steel takes so spot naturally, but Pitt is actually interesting with an unclear choice, and no clear moral right. One side is keeping slaves, one side is attempting to kidnap a child.

I think she's immune because she actually survived to birth. It would make sense that something that sickens adults as bad as the Pitt does, would kill any infant not immune.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    The Pitt is probably my second favorite of F3's DLC. Broken Steel takes so spot naturally, but Pitt is actually interesting with an unclear choice, and no clear moral right. One side is keeping slaves, one side is attempting to kidnap a child.

I think she's immune because she actually survived to birth. It would make sense that something that sickens adults as bad as the Pitt does, would kill any infant not immune.
    Well, it's more like one-side is keeping slaves while trying to find a cure, while the other side is manipulating you into stealing a child so that he can be the one in charge of keeping the slaves.

It actually doesn't! If you read Sandra's terminal entries, it says that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trog Studies
    Troglodyte Degeneration Contagion
    Research by Dr. Sandra Kundanika

An epidemic of the environs around the Pitt, which I have named Troglitic Degeneration Contagion (or simply "TDC") appears to be the result of intensely concentrated radiation, but the unique toxins and pollutants in the Pitt cause it to be far more pervasive.

Anyone living in TDC-active areas experience skin lesions after a few weeks of exposure, which can clear up after a month or more away from infected areas. For many healthy adults, this is the full extent of the effect. TDC also seems to interact with brain chemistry in a manner that produces a number of psychological effects, even if the subject remains physically healthy. I'll need to recover more information about psychosis before attempting to enumerate those effects.

Approximately 20% of adults will progress further, losing higher reasoning and motor skills over the course of years, until they have degenerated into a bestial "Trog". No subjects have ever been recovered from full degeneration, although wishful rumors persist of Trog retaining memories and recognizing the faces of loved ones.

More tragic, however, is the fact that children born in TDC-active areas have a (virtually) 100% degeneration rate, often becoming feral within weeks of birth.
    Emphasis mine
    Most tellingly and the reason that Marie might not actually be immune to the radiation or a source of a cure is that there are other children with the same immunity to the TDC. Paladin Kodiak, nee Greg Bear, tells us that he was one of twenty-one unmutated children that were taken and raised as Brotherhood members following the Scourge of the Pitt. Ashur even tells us that Kodiak's older brothers, left by the Brotherhood, grew up to be the same Bear Brothers that you kill in the Pitt.

As a result, we have at least 23 examples of others with a similar immunity to the disease surrounding the Pitt. That's not nearly the same as "Virtually 100%" of children, and as such we have no evidence that Marie is anything more than a child who hasn't yet succumbed to TDC. Heck, we don't even know that she won't succumb later on.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

The Pitt just sucks, in my opinion.

You were scammed by a jackass who wanted to take over and be big dog and failed the last time. He lies about wanting to help slaves, he lies about the nature of 'the cure', the entire premise for your being there is completely and utterly false.

Asher is also a complete jackass. Oh sure, he tries to be a Big Brother, but he just doesn't have the charisma to pull it off effectively and form a personality cult.

Honestly, what I'd do? Shoot them all, give Asher's wife a choice to come back to the Capital Wasteland and work with the Brotherhood to find the cure with better hardware and support, respect her choice if she decides she needs to die with her husband, take her kid either way since the Pitt is no place to raise a child. I'd probably take Marie to Dr Li, if the child is in fact completely immune to radiation, Li would be more than happy to figure out why and see if the mythical 'cure' can really exist, and do it with a lot more support.

I'd leave the Pitt with a trail of bodies in my wake. I'd kill both Wherner for lying to me and Asher for forcing people into this sort of life. I'd probably end up either freeing the slaves and letting them leave the Pitt to go wherever they might want, or simply putting them out of their misery if they force me to. I'd also go kill every last Trog and Wildman I could get in my crosshairs, as well as every last Raider so this kind of BS doesn't start back up again.

Then I'd sabotage the plant. It's the only reason anyone wants to try to work the Pitt, so remove the temptation. Let it fester in peace, undisturbed.

Let the ghosts of the dead be all that is left to inhabit the wretched place.

And really, playing their game is a sucker's bet. What I'd do, if the game would let me instead of railroading me, is just kick in the front door, guns blazing, and kill every last raider, letting the slaves go free, then sabotaging the plant so no one else has any reason to come in. Quick, clean, effective. Wouldn't be the first den of raiders I've knocked over, won't be the last.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2017-10-14 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

Shneekey's got PTSMD. (Post Traumatic Sierra Madre Disorder) Places with slave collars and red mist annoy him greatly. Not that I blame him.

I'm largely with you Shneekey, but I'd go the other way, go to the Brotherhood and send Lyons in to wipe the raiders out, free the slaves and throw the Brotherhood's science at the job. I'm willing to bet Power Armor and quick rotation will protect from TDC, Brotherhood have the technology to produce Robots who would then be immune to it, and could run the plant without issue.

Ashur likely gets treated to an execution, though Lyons is more forgiving than most brotherhood leaders. Werner more than likely gets trampled under by power armor wielding groups of knights and paladins mistaking him for just another raider, which he is.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

Shneekey's got PTSMD. (Post Traumatic Sierra Madre Disorder) Places with slave collars and red mist annoy him greatly. Not that I blame him.
    To a large degree, yes, but at least Dead Money has a thematic REASON for railroading you. You walk in, get hit with knockout gas. I can see that. Granted, it happens even if you have a Rebreather on, or an Elite Riot Helmet with what appears to be a full blown WW II style gas mask, but I can wave that as 'after two hundred years of wear and tear, the filters have become compromised'. But the Pitt? Bunch of damn raiders? Really?

I'm largely with you Shneekey, but I'd go the other way, go to the Brotherhood and send Lyons in to wipe the raiders out, free the slaves and throw the Brotherhood's science at the job. I'm willing to bet Power Armor and quick rotation will protect from TDC, Brotherhood have the technology to produce Robots who would then be immune to it, and could run the plant without issue.

Ashur likely gets treated to an execution, though Lyons is more forgiving than most brotherhood leaders. Werner more than likely gets trampled under by power armor wielding groups of knights and paladins mistaking him for just another raider, which he is.
    What, again? They've done it before, they just didn't set up the robots. They'd also have to leave a guard in place to protect the robots.

It just seems silly to me that a fellow in... let's just use a 'random example'... Exile T51 power armor, a Gatling Laser, a Fat Man, aaaand... I dunno, riot shotgun or something. Maybe some kind of assault rifle in case you run out of ammo for the Gatling Laser. Loaded for bear. Bust it open with a couple of mini-nukes, spray n pray with the Gatling Laser until everything gets dead, and go door-to-door with the riot shotgun to make sure the raiders are gone. You'll be done in an afternoon, tops. It really won't be that hard, certainly not as difficult as busting through the Super Mutants at Jackson's Memorial. Drop a couple of nukes down in the Steelworks to clear out most of the Trogs, loot n scoot.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but I'm a kind and Gentle soul.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ugh, I'd forgotten about the BS beginning of the DLC. "I am BAMF No.1 of the Capital Wasteland, decked out head to toe with power armor and the best weapons money can't even buy. Here, lemme just stand here and be knocked unconscious by five raiders with lead pipes."
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

Amusingly it's more believable with FWE than in vanilla.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So I think my cooling-off period has been long enough, and I might try to unstick my character from this encounter with a Deathclaw. Hopefully a handful of chems will see me through. Does anyone remember if Danse tilts if I get high while he's watching? If so, I may just try to power through his affection trudge by jumping in and out of my power armor between quick-saves before I start this fight. I do enjoy Survival mode, I only wish there wasn't such a huge gulf between the regular humanoid supermutants and bugs and stuff, and the immortal bulletsponge Deathclaws and Radscorpions.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

Modded? If not I'd be willing to give it a try and see if there's a way out for you. If so I'd have to have a mod list and load order.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    So I think my cooling-off period has been long enough, and I might try to unstick my character from this encounter with a Deathclaw. Hopefully a handful of chems will see me through. Does anyone remember if Danse tilts if I get high while he's watching? If so, I may just try to power through his affection trudge by jumping in and out of my power armor between quick-saves before I start this fight. I do enjoy Survival mode, I only wish there wasn't such a huge gulf between the regular humanoid supermutants and bugs and stuff, and the immortal bulletsponge Deathclaws and Radscorpions.
    I think my least favorite part about F4's Survival is it disabling the Console. With as many quest/gamebreaking bugs (and the potential to get stuck in an encounter, as I assume you're having an issue with?) as any Bethesda game has, that's a pretty raw deal.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

Especially since even with all the work they've done, I've found a spot or two that need the console or fast travel to escape.

I'm having entirely too much fun using the Fallout 4 Steyr AUG by The Shiny Haxorus from the Nexus. It's almost too good, but fortunately 5.56 is rare early on. Though you can convert it to 10mm. The best bit though, is that it's got a flashlight mod, and when it's equipped and the gun is out, it replaces your Pip-boy light with the flashlight. It's actually pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2017-10-20 at 11:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

So, considering doing another LP of F:NV, modded of course. I've been working on some recording audio settings and have come up with a much cleaner mike audio, which is a relative term since I'm using a headset mike (Razer Kraken Pro v2 analog). I can't seem to filter out my keyboard since it's a mechanical keyboard, but hey... baby steps, right? At least I managed to eliminate the background hum and the popping. Finally.

So, the old one is pretty well dead, for various technical reasons involving trying to run this through WINE. The problem is that either I run it 32 bit, in which case I can't use the Large Address Aware, or I run it 64 bit, and cannot use FOMM (because FOMM requires .NET 3.0 which doesn't like to run through WINE 64 bit, only 32 bit). So... yea.

Anyway, any ideas on what mods to include? I'm obviously going to include Project Nevada, AWOP, and WMX. Not sure if I want to add in EVE if I have to run 32 bit without LAA. Anything else? Maybe some kind of UI mod? Let me know!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

I've been enjoying my current playthrough with the Some Guy Series of mods. The first New Vegas Bounties is pretty eh, but amusing enough. Bounties II is so far MUCH better.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

NVB1 is kind of interesting since it has two options to it's ending. The good ending is the default that leads into NVB2, but the alternate evil one leads into Arizona Killer.

You're right though, that it's not as... refined. It's a huge mod for one person. I also know enough about the underlying bits to say he makes it look easy.

It's also basically a chain of fetch quests. Go here, get finger, repeat. NVB2's quests are a bit more free form to start, and more polished with multiple options to complete them. I managed to talk one guy into giving up by convincing him his gang was going to turn on him, and another guy was convinced to not shoot me. (Not that I let him live anyway.)

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I think my least favorite part about F4's Survival is it disabling the Console. With as many quest/gamebreaking bugs (and the potential to get stuck in an encounter, as I assume you're having an issue with?) as any Bethesda game has, that's a pretty raw deal.
    I'm not having any crash problems, personally. The issue I'm having is that I'm a level 52 sole survivor who keeps getting wrecked by a level 41 legendary glowing deathclaw, because he can 2-shot me through power armor, and my fully-upgraded Deliverer can barely dimple his hide. Even a critical (with better criticals and calibrated powerful receiver) doesn't take more than a quarter of his health, which he immediately mutates off. Danse isn't doing anything to him either. It's frustrating.

I've also got a VATS-enhanced plasma pistol I tried, which theoretically should do more damage, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

As it happened, I just went around him and got on with my mission, but it's kind of disappointing that I'm this far in and there's enemies 10 levels under me that are still functionally immune to my weapons.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The part I don't like about FO4's survival setting is that it gets you coming and going. "You're going to need food and water now, and ammunition now has weight... oh, and we're cutting your carry capacity 125 points." "You can't save anymore except by going to bed, but we're going to amp up the damage the enemy does while crippling yours, so expect to get one-shotted and run out of ammunition regularly." "You can't fast travel, but you can't use most bedding to get sufficient rest in." "You are ALWAYS going to need water, but the water pumps you place in your settlement stop working for you after a little while."

But yeah, then you factor in bugs, and it gets worse. My "favorite" bug that I've encountered is needs suddenly not updating. I come back form a big fight, hungry, thirsty, and tired, and I get a good 9 hours in, only to find out that my tiredness won't go away, and it doesn't matter how many purified waters or grilled radstag I consume, nothing is going down but the penalties remain. 20 hours into the game, trying to play a "rebuild" run (Minuteman faction, heavy focus on functional settlements), only to have the game rendered unplayable.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

Deliverer is kind of junk anyway, but I assume you're remembering to aim for the Belly which is the weak point?

If you're going to do anything with crits you want that perk that let's you stock up on them, so you can spam out 2-3 against several enemies, or one tough one.

The better option of course is use a non-legendary but more powerful weapon. If you sticking with Pistols, a .44 should do the trick.

The water pumps not working was vanilla before Survival. Store them in the workshop and put them down again. The game treats it as a new entity.

As for the other, I never had that problem, but spent enough time wandering the Mojave to know not to leave without a few days of food, some water and a plan to get back to safety. Plus the fact I kept ahead of the food/water situation helped immensely.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2017-10-24 at 02:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    The part I don't like about FO4's survival setting is that it gets you coming and going. "You're going to need food and water now, and ammunition now has weight... oh, and we're cutting your carry capacity 125 points." "You can't save anymore except by going to bed, but we're going to amp up the damage the enemy does while crippling yours, so expect to get one-shotted and run out of ammunition regularly." "You can't fast travel, but you can't use most bedding to get sufficient rest in." "You are ALWAYS going to need water, but the water pumps you place in your settlement stop working for you after a little while."

But yeah, then you factor in bugs, and it gets worse. My "favorite" bug that I've encountered is needs suddenly not updating. I come back form a big fight, hungry, thirsty, and tired, and I get a good 9 hours in, only to find out that my tiredness won't go away, and it doesn't matter how many purified waters or grilled radstag I consume, nothing is going down but the penalties remain. 20 hours into the game, trying to play a "rebuild" run (Minuteman faction, heavy focus on functional settlements), only to have the game rendered unplayable.
    So, I more or less only play survival now... and I don't ever see this, yeah, you get one shotted, but unless you're fighting a death claw or a super mutant so does everything else.

Though yes, the carrying capacity cut is annoying, but it just means you need proper safehouses.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Deliverer is kind of junk anyway, but I assume you're remembering to aim for the Belly which is the weak point?
    If by 'junk', you mean 'the best silenced pistol in the game by leaps and bounds', then sure. Yes, I'm aiming for the Belly, but I'm an agility build, so if the Deathclaw is charging at me, my hit chance isn't so hot, until he rears up to rip my head from my torso. Like I said, even a belly crit is only good for maybe 25% of his health, so it's not like the difference is night and day in any case.

If you're going to do anything with crits you want that perk that let's you stock up on them, so you can spam out 2-3 against several enemies, or one tough one.
    Yeah, I haven't yet got my luck high enough for critical banker, though it's in the plan. Maybe once I've maxed out my luck tree, the Deathclaws may stop being insufferable bullet sponges, but I kind of doubt it.

The better option of course is use a non-legendary but more powerful weapon. If you sticking with Pistols, a .44 should do the trick.
    Well, kind of off motif, and Survival does discourage you from using a 'golf bag of weapons' strategy. If I did want to roll with a .44 magnum I'd just use Kellogg's pistol. What's really ailing me, I suspect, is how the armor formula just ruthlessly punishes anything but rifleman. IIRC, my Deathclaw was rolling with 250 physical resistance (and higher energy resistance), so I'm losing something like 70% of my damage, not including the 25% off the top you lose just for playing Survival. Now if I can bring off a Ninja/Sandman/Silenced Crit, everything is exploding, which, I suppose, means that stand up fights should just stay off-limits for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    The way I'd put it is this: The biggest challenge to Survival mode is withstanding the tedium. Here's what I've done to circumvent the worst of it:

• Vertibird signal grenades for hauling junk back from a mission.
    • Heavy investment into stealth to keep from getting dumpstered by unexpected encounters.
    • Set home base near a doctor for easy access to disease cures.
    • Unlock every settlement in the commonwealth, and set up clean beds, food and water in each one.
    • Sleep early and often. Adrenaline is a trap, pure and simple.

I will say, I've never encountered any unrecoverable bugs in my Fallout playthrough, but then I'm also playing clean. I certainly have never found a status I couldn't clear off with the right treatment. Are you sure you're treating your status correctly? Eating won't fix being tired, you need sleep, and it's possible you're riddled with diseases. Antibiotics, water, and rest in a clean bed should take care of everything.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, but the Deliverer is probably the worst pistol in the game. I'd rather have a pipe pistol. The 10mm with the large mag and armor piercing automatic will beat that Deathclaw handily with it's massive staggering effect from Commando. Advanced Receiver will probably also win with it's 8 extra rounds.

Sing it's praises all you like, you'll never convince me. Give me regular VATS enhanced, or give me Rapid instead. Or better still, Lucky.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, but the Deliverer is probably the worst pistol in the game. I'd rather have a pipe pistol. The 10mm with the large mag and armor piercing automatic will beat that Deathclaw handily with it's massive staggering effect from Commando. Advanced Receiver will probably also win with it's 8 extra rounds.

Sing it's praises all you like, you'll never convince me. Give me regular VATS enhanced, or give me Rapid instead. Or better still, Lucky.
    Eh, automatics aren't really all that good in this game, due to how armor is calculated, kinda like F:NV vs FO3, which took automatics from 'best in class' to 'mediocre'. Sure, armor piercing is nice, but it isn't THAT nice once you run the numbers and how high the armor on the Deathclaw likely is. You still aren't breaking the 20% threshold. Which means you are still shooting cotton candy.

Personally? Gimme an assault shotgun with the Advanced Receiver. Let's see how it likes a belly full of lead. If you can't find better, Le Fusil Terribles works just fine with 25% more damage period. Of course, Plasma Infused or Freezing are better, and if you don't mind fragging yourself every so often, Explosive does the most damage of almost any weapon in the game, but it's a guaranteed drop. And will stop deathclaws cold.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

The Armor Piercing is only a nice bonus, it's the stagger that turns the tide. Wastelanders friend is actually supremely good in this particular situation. Add the crippling to stagger and it won't be long before I can dance around him forever.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Titan in the Playground

The Armor Piercing is only a nice bonus, it's the stagger that turns the tide. Wastelanders friend is actually supremely good in this particular situation. Add the crippling to stagger and it won't be long before I can dance around him forever.
    Or just get a Kneecapper pipe pistol and rig it up to be a .38 SMG
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

That work's also, but I know where I can get Wastelander's Friend, I have to go searching for a legendary to get a Kneecapper. Incidentally, I just got my hands on a AUG of the Rapid off a Feral Ghoul. This gun is absolutely amazing.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    The way I'd put it is this: The biggest challenge to Survival mode is withstanding the tedium. Here's what I've done to circumvent the worst of it:

• Vertibird signal grenades for hauling junk back from a mission.
    • Heavy investment into stealth to keep from getting dumpstered by unexpected encounters.
    • Set home base near a doctor for easy access to disease cures.
    • Unlock every settlement in the commonwealth, and set up clean beds, food and water in each one.
    • Sleep early and often. Adrenaline is a trap, pure and simple.
    Oh, I solve the tedium by modding the hell out of it. Journey lets me fast travel between connected settlements, keeping exploration difficult but making it easy to get around established turf. Survival Options allows me to set damage as a flat 3x (me and them) to make every conflict tense, reactivate transition saving because the game is not stable enough to survive without at least semi-regular saves, reduce the rate of increase for needs so that it's not such an unpleasant addition, and remove the carry penalty. Wasteland Energy Shields mixes well with this, providing a regenerating shield quickly shorts out under heavy fire, keeping the fighting intense without being frustrating (you are by no means invincible, but you can shrug off a hit or two). Follower Revive System adds an additional aspect, making your ally (not including animals) able to heal you at 0 health just like you can heal them (it's naturally game over if your ally goes down as well). Finally, a mod I can't remember the name for that lets you have one companion, one animal (including Dogmeat), and one Automatron follower at a time. I think the mods mesh together pretty well to make it a far less tedious experience where you're not made of glass but not able to be reckless, either.

I had a blast with this build the last time I played, but the bug I mentioned (needs freezing on me) rendered the game irreparable and that just kinda let the air out of the experience for me. I'm gearing up for another run, I just hope I get to actually get somewhere before bugs ruin this run for me.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Titan in the Playground

I went a different direction with mods, I love stomping around in power armor, so I added Salvage Beacons, so I drop stuff and settlers carry it back for me. That eliminates weight issues, so I can fill up on Water and Mutfruit, 3 of which will reduce one level of hunger.

I tend to find enough Antibiotics diseases aren't an issue except for Infection and Weakness. Insomnia and Parasites are both totally insignificant.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2017-10-25 at 06:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

You know, with my mod loadout (including WMX, AWOP, and P:NV), I'd have to say that the .308 Marksman's Carbine M is just not able to keep up.

On the one side, you have All American, which uses a cheaper and lighter weight ammo, in trade for like two damage less. And is generally easier to obtain unless you can purchase it for 10k caps from the dude in the radio broadcast center, but that's still going there over by Cook-Cook or heading to Vault 34's armory... call it a wash at best.

On the other side, you have Christine's BoS Silencer Rifle. With WMX, she's got a 10 round magazine, and half the weight of the other two, and almost twice the damage output per shot base (AA is 43, Marksman Carbine M is 45, Christine's is 78) with a 100 Guns skill.

If you like using multiple weapons, go with Christine's and use a backup weapon for CQB like Light Shining in Darkness, which is an Improved Holdout weapon that can go up to 85 damage per shot with HP ammo. Super handload rounds pushes it up respectably and has DT penetration, but has horrid gun condition modifiers. And with WMX, can be Silenced and go up to 9 round mag. Perfect for the stealthy sniper on the go who wants a dependable backup that can be concealed and taken into more civilized areas.

Of course, if you don't mind going loud and proud, you can try the Riot Shotgun M for your CQB weapon. It's heavier, and you are certainly not going to sneak that past security at any of the Casinos on the strip, but it does speak with a commanding voice, and is particularly effective on those blasted Cazadores.

But hey, at least the game doesn't have The Draugr Are Training random mob escalation like Fallout 4 does... actually, replace Draugr with Super Mutant, and you've pretty much captured FO4. With the final one being 'Legendary Super Mutant Behemoth' or something similarly obnoxious.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2017-10-25 at 07:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    But hey, at least the game doesn't have The Draugr Are Training random mob escalation like Fallout 4 does... actually, replace Draugr with Super Mutant, and you've pretty much captured FO4. With the final one being 'Legendary Super Mutant Behemoth' or something similarly obnoxious.
    There are still a lot of enemies with extensive leveled lists. The Fiends might not be training, but the Roboscorpions definitely are.