New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Slaves in the Empire of the Drowning Sun [IC]

Listening intently to both his tea guests, Raphael sits quietly, not daring to break the spell of quiet peacefulness within the little shop.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

As Salvos chastises the centaur, a man laden with many satchels and odds and ends that threaten to spill out of the bags approaches them. He seems extremely worn though there is no apparent reason why he should be besides the weight of all the baggage he carries.
    "Hello, I do believe that I have something of importance to discuss with you and the Peacekeeper. I assure you that it will be worth your while to come to her quarters tonight. After all, I believe your interests could benefit one another."
    He doesn't offer any further explanation before he continues on his way to where the auditions are being held.

Eventually night descends and the appointed time comes for those invited by Lady Gaulstaff to meet. Prior to that time, she also managed to contact Jormindrill and Captain Justinian with the same information.
    Should anyone go, the Gathering House is locked but candlelight still flickers in the glass of the windows near the door.

In the middle of the night, a knock sounds on Kaya's door. It's Erwin.
    His complexion looks a bit crazed now, as if he hasn't slept. However, he keeps his voice even as he addresses the Peacekeeper.
    "I'm sorry to disturb you but I believe there is a meeting that is happening that will be of great interest to you. I also believe there to be an explanation due to you that your superiors have 'conveniently' forgotten about."
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2017-09-23 at 09:33 PM.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kaya nods, then opens the door a little wider to permit Erwin's entry. "Please, come in. Make yourself comfortable. I can't say that I'm surprised to be left in the dark, but this does seem to be well beyond the lack of information that I am generally used to. What can you tell me?"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A sparrow waits for Raphael just atop the door to the Gathering House, practically invisible in the dark, pecking lazily at the wood.

5. - Top - End - #245

Lizardfolk

Salvos makes his way to the Peacekeeper's quarters in the middle of the night, concealing his features with a hood and full-body cloak as he attempts to remain anonymous and unseen.
    Oh geez, this should probably be meaningful or something.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Raphael looks up and smiles at the sparrow, giving it a nodding approval to take a spot on his shoulder before knocking on the door to the Gathering House.
    I like the globe warm...

7. - Top - End - #247

Justinian

Spending most of his time wandering the Elvish buildings on the island (and avoiding near-riots), marvelling at the architecture of a heritage he'd never really explored, Justinian was on the newly arrived Northern Wind, discussing the ship's journey (uneventful with favourable winds) with his first mate when he received Lady Gaulstaff's message.

--

"So you were dragged into this too, Raph?" asked Justinian quietly as he emerged from the shadows around the Gathering House, approaching the doorway as Raph's knuckles rapped against the wood.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Indeed, it seems we are gathered for some mysterious reason." Raphael says in response. "I hope it is not for the reasons I suspect." You know the reason! No, I...we do not. Not yet.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2017-09-25 at 09:54 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Oromus, Mercenary Slave
    Oromus smiles at the Peacekeeper, as the teleports in front of them and then away, keeping silent and all but ignoring any warnings she has to give. After Salvos "disciplines" him, "I meant to be seen by her. Bugs, castings, and all. There's something to be said to know the abilities of someone. And what does she know about me now? I'm big, dumb, and obvious. How could I do that right out in the open? I care not what some Peacekeeper thinks of me. But if I can trick her into thinking that I'm something I'm not....." Oromus pauses as Archimedes flies back to him and lands on his shoulder, "that gives me the advantage. And it wouldn't be the first time I've been attacked or arrested by a soldier or Peacekeeper. But I wouldn't want it to affect our.....arrangement." Oromus never actually apologized, and he's sure Salvos noticed it, but Salvos' words were heard and understood.

It was then a strange man started walking up to them, Oromus moved to a position more in front of Salvos so he might protect him better in an attack. He made himself ready to grab is sword, if provoked. The man said his peace and left. Oromus shrugged and calmed himself after the man left. He then went on with his business until Salvos dismissed him.

As Salvos leaves his quarters, walking right past Oromus, the centaur immediately takes step behind him. He takes out his bow, and puts an arrow in the same hand for easy access....just in case they are attacked.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2017-09-25 at 10:13 PM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

10. - Top - End - #250

Justinian

Justinian grinned in response, "Well, if we do have to make a run for it, I have a ship nearby, and I know a few safe ports in the area."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The sparrow flits down from atop the door, landing on Raph's shoulder with a small 'pat' of a sound, and looks up at Justinian. "You two know eachother then?" the sparrow asks in a low voice. "Hello. Don't remember if you actually gave me your name." it says, inclining its tiny beak towards the man.
    Last edited by Genth; 2017-09-25 at 11:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

As Erwin is about to enter the room, he calls out into the darkness.
    "I'm not certain where you are but I know you well enough to know that you are here. It's not polite to keep a lady waiting after all my scaly friend."
    He waits a while as if expecting someone.

The door opens at the knock as a pudgy-looking man opens up the door with a small lantern in his hand. He peeks out and looks at each of the group before his eyes alight on Raphael and he beams at them.
    "Ah! You must be the guests Lady Gaulstaff told me to expect. Come in, come in!"
    The door opens wider as the man makes way.
    "I've been instructed to lead you to the Hearing Chamber as it is one of the few places large enough for all of you."
    He leads you through a series of twists and turns that are rather confusing, passing by several paintings and sculptures depicting a woman with feathered wings gathering all sorts of beings within their enormous folds or sweeping aside chains and shackles.
    He finally leads you to a large set of double doors that lead into what turns out to be the room that the representatives are auditioning.
    Lady Gaulstaff is sitting in one of the seats reserved for those hearing the representatives. She smiles as the group comes in, a small candle beside her and a scroll in her hands.
    "I am glad you came on such short notice. I must speak to you about the presence of the Imperial troops here and my concerns."
    The pudgy man bows respectfully to Lady Gaulstaff as he excuses himself, closing the doors behind him.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Religion)
    Show
    Spoiler: DC 15
    Show
    The statues and paintings depict the Gatherer. The patron deity of the Gathering of Dorn. The Gatherer looks remarkably like Lady Gaulstaff.
    Spoiler: DC 20
    Show
    No one actually knows the real name or image of the patron deity but she is supposedly one that promises freedom to all. Though whether or not it is during this life or not is another point entirely.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

13. - Top - End - #253

Lizardfolk

From a shadowy corner Salvos lights his lamp, bringing him and Oromus into view as he carefully pads forward before extending into a luxurious bow.

"Good evening. Please, forgive my prudence - Discretion is the better part of valor, as the wise say. I trust you will not object if my manservant accompanies us to keep us safe?"

His soft and apologetic words sharply contrast with his appearance; in the flickering light, looming head and shoulders above a regular human, he is somewhat of an imposing figure, even without the heavily armed centaur standing behind him.
    Last edited by Quantumphear; 2017-09-26 at 04:12 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just before entering, Stay here and watch the door, remain hidden and let me know of any trouble. As you desire In the darkness it is difficult to notice Raphael's cloak flowing from his shoulders and disappearing into the shadows surrounding the doorway.

Standing quietly to the side he watches the room, taking note of who is at the meeting and more pointedly who is not.
    I like the globe warm...

15. - Top - End - #255

Justinian

Outside

Justinian swept his hat from his head, revealing his upswept elven ears, and bowed to the sparrow, "Captain Justinian of the Northern Wind, The Reaver of Storms and Personal Emissary of the King of Air to the Empire, at your service." With a grin, he added, "I was there when Raph got a bit more animated."

--

Inside

"Concerns that you have a brewing rebellion on your hands, or concerns over what the Empire intends to do with an expeditionary force of that size? Either one is nasty business." asked Justinian after the guide's footsteps faded into the distance.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Oromus, Mercenary Slave
    Oromus squints just slightly as the lantern is lit from the darkness. He puts his arrow up and hangs his bow over his quiver. But he keeps his hands ready just in case the are attacked. He wants easy access to his sword in case he needs to use it.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

17. - Top - End - #257

Kaya shakes her head and sighs softly at the sight of Oromus and Salvos, then gives a quiet chuckle accompanied by a bemused smile. "It seems this time you have been invited into Peacekeeper business. That was not so difficult now was it?" she says with a laugh. "Please, do come in and try to make yourselves comfortable. Things may be a little cramped for you though, Oromus. I'm afraid the furniture was not laid out with centaur guests in mind." She opens the door a bit wider to permit the passage of the new and unexpected guests. After all have entered, she turns to address Erwin. "Now, to business?"
    Last edited by nolongerchaos; 2017-09-26 at 12:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Āita rides comfortably on Raph's shoulder as they enter, and when she sees Lady Gaulstaff herself, she hops off, and with a flurry of cold wind, the Uldra stands, leaning on her staff. "Greetings, Lady Gaulstaff. A pleasure to be speaking face-to-face. I am Āita, Chief Grandmother to the Uldra, but I'm sure you knew that." she says, before sinking down into a cross-legged position on the floor, not too far away from Gaulstaff herself. "Now then dears, I agree with the dashing young Captain there" she says, giving Justinian a wink. "Any idea what they are here for Adrianna? May I call you Addy? Saves time."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Erwin nods as the door closes.
    "Naturally."
    He then unloads all of his satchels onto the ground and takes a seat, back bent as he steeples his fingers together near his sleep-deprived eyelids.
    "Peacekeeper, you know that they will be creating a new Anchor at the island do you not? What they didn't tell you about the Anchors is why they are constructed."
    He pauses for emphasis as he looks about the room.
    "Without those Anchors the islands will sink, taking all who dwell on them to a watery grave. At this moment, Lady Gaulstaff has called a meeting with some of your acquaintances this night."

Lady Gaulstaff smiles at Aita's request.
    "But of course. It's no problem at all
    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Spoiler: DC 32
    Show
    Her smile is slightly forced even as she speaks the words.

She obliges them as she explains the situation.
    "I fear that the Empire has taken an unhealthy interest in Dorn's Rest. I fear that their presence heralds an end to the peace that has been present here."
    She continues as she puts down the scroll she had been perusing to pick up the candle, making her way to stand in front of Raphael.
    "I also believe that it's because of your presence within the Empire. They are scared of what a being who existed before the Shattering could accomplish. It's likely they have come here to destroy you under false pretenses."
    She stares up at the towering figure, eyes unflinching in the face of his.
    Jormindrill can tell something isn't right here. Adrianna looks and sounds like herself but something is off. Then it becomes obvious. She looks too perfect, too ideal, her figure is more suited to attract the eye though the changes are so subtle that only one who knew her for as long as Jormindrill could have possibly noticed.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

20. - Top - End - #260

Kaya nods in acknowledgement. " I see now why the Anchors are so heavily guarded. They are protected for the people's own safety as much as to secure the Empire's interests. And since I am soon to be overseeing the process, can you tell me anything of how they are constructed?" Kaya waits for a moment before the rest of what Erwin said sinks in. "Wait, you said our acquaintances are meeting with Gaulstaff? That is useful information, but why bring it up? Does their meeting have any bearing on ours?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    You know. Just in case.
    Sense Motive - (1d20+17)[36].

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Oromus, Mercenary Slave

Oromus snorts through his nostrils, face looking slightly annoyed as Kaya talks and invites them into her quarters. It is, indeed, cramped but he figures out a way to squeeze in there. It worries him a bit, being so cramped, that it will be harder for him to get to his weapons. But if the Peacekeeper wanted them dead, she probably would have already attacked.

He listens to the odd man, hearing about how the anchors are "for the people's own good", he says under his breath, "For their own good. Empire says jump....." Though the bit about the meeting shuts him up fairly quickly. His face goes a little worried, "Yes, why are they meeting? Are we, or they, in danger?"

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

22. - Top - End - #262

Lizardfolk

Salvos is unsettled by this new revelation, his tail lashing wildly back and forth as he digests the information. Within a few moments he narrows his eyes and ventures to speak:

"If this is indeed the case, I understand why such a fact is not common knowledge. Every island with an Anchor would be subject to endless assaults by malcontents and rebels."

If the Empire wanted Dorn's rest to cease being a nuisance, destroying the Anchor would be the perfect way to make an island of dissidents 'disappear', instead of organising a direct intervention by Imperial troops. Perhaps the upcoming assault is a mere smokescreen for the Empire's true objective?
    Last edited by Quantumphear; 2017-09-29 at 11:36 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Unable to help himself, Raphael bristles a bit at Lady Gaulstaff's assessment, "Many have tried, yet...I remain." Again he visibly shakes off the aggression inherent in his nature and inclines his head to the Lady, "My apologies, Lady Gaulstaff, if my presence here will bring harm to you or your subjects then I can depart." He inclines his head towards Justinian, "The Protector will allow me to stay on his vessel, hopefully, if not there are places I can go. I would not willingly bring harm to you or yours."
    I like the globe warm...

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Āita gives a small sigh when she sees the woman's smile. "Lady it is." she replies, softly before listening to her explanation. Her lips purse for a moment, nodding slowly, but there is a frown on her features. "If I may interject, Raphael, Lady, that seems like an odd leap of logic. Yes, Raphael represents something new, but so far he hasn't done much to disturb the peace other than being a focus for rumor and gossip. The summit itself, and the loud anti-slavery voices now congregating would surely be more of a motivator for the Empire to act. At the very least, with the information you have furnished us with." something rather annoyed flits within the Uldra's eyes, and her lips tighten again.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I believe what she meant was me as a rallying point or focus for all that you just mentioned. If you're Empire has been around nearly since I was trapped then they have not survived by allowing potential threats like what I represent to simply fester and take hold. Were it my task to maintain the grip they have upon you all I would certainly try to eliminate potential threats before they became full fledged ideas. Once formed you cannot kill an idea." Raphael bows his head in sadness, "No matter how hard you try."
    I like the globe warm...

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Erwin nods to the both of them.
    "Not only would it be a target, chaos would break out as the populace panics. As for why it's important to know about the meeting-"
    He stands and walks over to his pile of satchels before he pulls out a strange looking bowl and places it on the chair he was just sitting in.
    "-Let's just say I have my own reasons. If you'd like to listen in to what they're saying right now, just run your forefinger around the rim twice."
    He then collects his satchels and makes his way for the door.

"I agree with your assumption. The Empire will not take any chances. Your presence anywhere is sure to attract attention. Combine the fact that Dorn's Rest openly defies the Empire and it makes for an irresistible prize. Before they act, we must rid them from the island."
    She looks at each of them with hard eyes.
    "I'm not looking for bloodshed, I want to know what they're up to and you should cooperate with them if necessary."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Āita tilts her head, thinking. "You want us to.. assist the Empire in what they plan to do here?" she asks, slightly incredulous. "Why on earth would they trust us? I mean, there's little the forces could be here for that we'd likely agree with." she taps her chin thoughtfully. "Lady, I find your principles, from what I know of this place, to be admirable. And certainly, I'll help you in any way you deem useful, but I'm not a young snowflake who goes bounding off on every quest a wise old person gives me. Usually I'm the one giving them!" she turns and looks at Raphael. "What are your thoughts, Raphael?"

28. - Top - End - #268

Lizardfolk

The moment Erwin is gone Salvos turns to the Peacekeeper, questioning her even as he activates the listening device and snoops on Lady Gaulstaff's meeting.

"You know this... person. Who is he?"
    Last edited by Quantumphear; 2017-09-30 at 02:01 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269

Kaya gives a small bow to Erwin as he leaves, but chooses to remain silent as he does so.

Again Kaya chuckles softly to herself before responding to Salvos' question. "You follow a stranger to my quarters, knowing nothing about them? That seems surprisingly trusting.

I met Erwin aboard the Wavehopper. He nearly drowned himself trying to board the ship as it was leaving the dock at Bor'salla. I know little of him, but he is reasonably well informed; as best I can make of it his information has always been true, though that is not to say that he tells all that he knows.
    "

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Were it up to me I would wipe the island of their presence this very moment and begin the end here! But alas, it is not up to me. Without her guidance I am admittedly lost as to a course of action to take. I do not see us being able to simply 'talk' them off the island though." Looking down at Aita he smiles warmly, "I believe she means that if they wanted me to submit to them I should do so willingly." NEVER! We will never submit to this farce of a rulership willingly! No, no we will not.
    I like the globe warm...