New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShIVe: Damn It, Dan, Stop Teasing Us!

Okay I found the "Nothing stops fire!" Line to be incredibly amusing. Also if Raven actually dies here thats going to be traumatic and Pandora is going to go absolutely berserk and will probably be forced to reset.

Still I don't think thats likely. Either Pandora takes the bullet herself for Adrian, Adrian is hurt and Susan has to fight and defeat the other immortals with Pandora power boost or perhaps Diane awakens with Pandora's help with a healing spell of some sort?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am enjoying how these villains have thoughts that make sense and help the reader understand what's going on, while it's happening.

By comparison, the Goo shouted random menaces around, while Adam explained what he had done with the dream net after he had used it, and the fire monster fight had no explanation whatsoever by the baddies.

It feels much more dynamic, and emphasizes the threats to the characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Okay I found the "Nothing stops fire!" Line to be incredibly amusing. Also if Raven actually dies here thats going to be traumatic and Pandora is going to go absolutely berserk and will probably be forced to reset.

Still I don't think thats likely. Either Pandora takes the bullet herself for Adrian, Adrian is hurt and Susan has to fight and defeat the other immortals with Pandora power boost or perhaps Diane awakens with Pandora's help with a healing spell of some sort?
    Pandora takes the bullet for Adrian which, of course, doesn't actually hurt her but the interference would cause her to reset.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Pandora takes the bullet for Adrian which, of course, doesn't actually hurt her but the interference would cause her to reset.
    Same, but no reset: It's only breaking the rules if she thinks it'breaking the rules, and she's guano insane.

If she just happens to be where the bullet is at a certain time, then Scarf has randomly attacked her.

And Voltaire to Tara and Pandora to Emissary have both implied that Immortals can act in retaliation if attacked.

(Tedd just met his Fairy Godmother has yet to meet his Godfather, Dianne and Susan have just learned of their possible (great(s))Grandparent and greater grandparent, and Noah has yet to confess that he sees Raven as a father. I will be might pissed if they don't both come away from this kinda okay.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Pretty sure Scarf is gonna hit with that. Also since Immortals can definitely solidify I suspect that he's gonna hit Pandora. I think its also been implied that Immortals can defend themselves.

Whelp I guess we get to see which wins: Magic or Humanity's Toys.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #336
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well he could miss completely and it could be a joke about him never having used a gun before. But yeah unlikely.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Also I have been racking my brain as to why immortals would have agreed to the rules they have now and came to the conclusion that magic forced them to. My guess is that the very first time magic reset its emmisary told immortals that if they didn't agree to those rules the reset would effect them as well as humanity.

Because, really, is there a single modern day immortal that likes those? I can't see any immortal agreeing to them unless they were forced to, yet they had a majority (if not unanimous) vote on the matter.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2018-01-05 at 04:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Also I have been racking my brain as to why immortals would have agreed to the rules they have now and came to the conclusion that magic forced them to. My guess is that the very first time magic reset its emmisary told immortals that if they didn't agree to those rules the reset would effect them as well as humanity.

Because, really, is there a single modern day immortal that likes those? I can't see any immortal agreeing to them unless they were forced to, yet they had a majority (if not unanimous) vote on the matter.
    Or they set them up ages ago after a particularly bad immortal caused a lot of havoc. Aka an overeaction to a tragedy that happened just then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

9. - Top - End - #339

I think the implication is that Immortals chose the rules themselves.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I think the implication is that Immortals chose the rules themselves.
    Yes. Pandora was pretty clear that they would have rejected rules that they thought were unacceptable, so the immortals must have decided that the rules they wound up implementing were acceptable.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well it has been established that Immortals will straight up lie in the information they leave their future incarnations. The current Immortals may not actually know the full truth about their restrictions.

12. - Top - End - #342

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Well it has been established that Immortals will straight up lie in the information they leave their future incarnations. The current Immortals may not actually know the full truth about their restrictions.
    Repeat: Immortals only get punished if they 1: Think what they're doing breaks the rules and 2: They did it on purpose.

Immortal doesn't know what arule is=that rule doesn't apply to them.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Repeat: Immortals only get punished if they 1: Think what they're doing breaks the rules and 2: They did it on purpose.

Immortal doesn't know what arule is=that rule doesn't apply to them.
    I'm not so sure. If it were that easy to circumvent the rules, there would be tons of immortals doing it - especially any that reset improperly. I think it works more like this: Immortals get punished if their belief about what they are doing and why breaks the rules. If there's a rule against killing aberrations, and an immortal kills an aberration, what matters is whether the immortal intended to kill an aberration. Whether the immortal knows that killing aberrations is forbidden is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2018-01-06 at 03:04 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

14. - Top - End - #344

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I'm not so sure. If it were that easy to circumvent the rules, there would be tons of immortals doing it - especially any that reset improperly. I think it works more like this: Immortals get punished if their belief about what they are doing and why breaks the rules. If there's a rule against killing aberrations, and an immortal kills an aberration, what matters is whether the immortal intended to kill an aberration. Whether the immortal knows that killing aberrations is forbidden is irrelevant.
    Pandora explicitly says that they have to knowingly and deliberately break the rules or it doens't count.

"Nobody would have agreed to the Laws is they could be tricked into breaking the Laws or break them by accident. The only way to break Immortal Law is to break it intentionally."

This is why she can get away with what she was doing--there's no "spirit" of the Laws, there's just the strict letter and whether you personally believe deep down that you are breaking that strict letter or not.

She also says that there's no debate or Trial, the other immortals just automatically know that you think you've broken the rules and force you to reset.

Besides: Immortals hate Aberrations as a rule. I seriously doubt that they'd have agreed to a rule that forbade them from killing them in situations where they could get away with it.(or you know, acting against them at all.)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #345

I'm not seeing anything there that refutes my idea. Pandora states that the judgement is based on the immortal's intent. I am merely contending that knowledge or ignorance of the law does not change whether the law applies.

As I understand it, you are saying that if there's a law that says "don't do X" then it's only broken if the immortal's intent included "break that law". I am saying that it's broken if the immortal's intent included "do X".
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's reasonable to assume that another property of the rules is that every immortal knows about them automatically, related to how immortals send energy to force a reset automatically. Clearly there's some outside working that can read information about, and send information to, any immortal, outside of the control of any individual immortal; the system wouldn't work otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #347

I'm not seeing anything there that refutes my idea. Pandora states that the judgement is based on the immortal's intent. I am merely contending that knowledge or ignorance of the law does not change whether the law applies.

As I understand it, you are saying that if there's a law that says "don't do X" then it's only broken if the immortal's intent included "break that law". I am saying that it's broken if the immortal's intent included "do X".
    Pandora explicitly states that if she doesn't belive she's breaking Immortal Law, then she's not breaking Immortal Law.

You have to know that a law exists before you can believe that you're breaking it.

This isn't what I'm saying, this is what the comic said.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #348

Pandora explicitly states that if she doesn't belive she's breaking Immortal Law, then she's not breaking Immortal Law.

You have to know that a law exists before you can believe that you're breaking it.

This isn't what I'm saying, this is what the comic said.
    Regardless, it's probably a moot point since I think Qwertystop is correct - whatever system enforces the laws also automatically informs all immortals of what the laws are, whether they want to know or not.

Really, the main idea I think is almost certainly true is that ignorance of a law is somehow, in some way, not a viable way to circumvent a law. If it were, it would be way too easy to abuse. There's probably some way for an immortal to use magic to remove his or her own knowledge of something specific, and even if there isn't they could just lie about the laws to their next incarnation.

Making it so that ignorance of the laws is simply not possible for an immortal would take care of it quite well, and the means of enforcement seems extremely similar to what would be needed to magically maintain knowledge among all immortals. Plus, it would explain how improperly reset immortals know the laws.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Regardless, it's probably a moot point since I think Qwertystop is correct - whatever system enforces the laws also automatically informs all immortals of what the laws are, whether they want to know or not.

Really, the main idea I think is almost certainly true is that ignorance of a law is somehow, in some way, not a viable way to circumvent a law. If it were, it would be way too easy to abuse. There's probably some way for an immortal to use magic to remove his or her own knowledge of something specific, and even if there isn't they could just lie about the laws to their next incarnation.

Making it so that ignorance of the laws is simply not possible for an immortal would take care of it quite well, and the means of enforcement seems extremely similar to what would be needed to magically maintain knowledge among all immortals. Plus, it would explain how improperly reset immortals know the laws.
    No, I don't don't think it would necessarily be too easy to abuse. There could be an immortal law against doing anything with the intent to allow you to abuse immortal law. That would keep someone from magically erasing knowledge of the law from their memories. Basically, I agree with Rater202. I think there must be some possibility of immortals having varying interpretations of the law; otherwise Pandora's response seems very odd. That said, I suspect that there could be some some protection against forgetting the laws during a reset. IIRC, certain basic things are always retained during a reset. The laws might have been made some of them.

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I think there must be some possibility of immortals having varying interpretations of the law; otherwise Pandora's response seems very odd.
    Of course there is. I have never even hinted that I thought otherwise. The only thing I am arguing against is the idea that it's possible to bypass a law by simply not knowing that the law exists.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351

And I was arguing against the idea of a law that Pandora doesn't know screwing her over by pointing out that if she doesn't know about it, she can't break it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #352

And both our arguments are satisfied together by the idea that the law enforcement system includes that all immortals automatically know all the laws.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Looks like plan Chaotic Mess went off perfectly.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

While I was expecting this result, I hope that more planning went into Pandora's side of things to string enough contingencies together to still keep other things she set in motion going along in desired paths.

25. - Top - End - #355

Quick Pandora, swear a vow to never ever forget your friends and family!
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-01-08 at 01:25 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #356

I wonder how quickly Pandora can do a proper reset (or "refresh") while under pressure. She should have about a minute available.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2018-01-08 at 02:02 AM.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder how quickly Pandora can do a proper reset (or "refresh") while under pressure. She should have about a minute available.
    Do you actually have a source for that number?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

28. - Top - End - #358

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Do you actually have a source for that number?
    Any immortal who breaks immortal law has a minute, tops, before they reset!

I expect that Pandora should be at the top end of the range with how old and powerful she is. It has also been established that Pandora has already been preparing for years what she wants to pass on, so there should be very little decision making involved, just the mechanics of it.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2018-01-08 at 02:41 AM.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359

Do you think Pandora doing that counts as a Vow?

...You know what would be the ultimate fake out? If the next comic is just five panels of everyone starring at Pandora in silence and then she's like "Huh, I guess deep down I don't consider Vampires moralt enough to be protected" and we carry one from there.

I'm not expecting that, but I'm not going to dismiss the possibility, knowing Dan's dislike of hurting his characters.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

...You know what would be the ultimate fake out? If the next comic is just five panels of everyone starring at Pandora in silence and then she's like "Huh, I guess deep down I don't consider Vampires moralt enough to be protected" and we carry one from there.
    Zeus has tears in his eyes, though. It makes me feel that he already got the immortal email alert that Pandora broke the rules.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est