New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Q677
    Is there a prestige class that grants an animal companion early on that does not lose out on advancing divine spellcasting levels?
    A 677 partial

The closest I can find is Gatekeeper Mystagogue (PGtE), but it doesn't advance casting at 1st level (9/10 casting).

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q677
    Is there a prestige class that grants an animal companion early on that does not lose out on advancing divine spellcasting levels?
    I believe Harper Paragon (Player's Guide to Faerun) is the only one.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q677
    A 677

According to the List of Stuff, no.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q678: destruction does 10d6 on a ssuccessful save, death on a failed save. If you are protected from death (like death ward), do you take no damage on a failed save and yes damage on a successful save? can you choose to fail your saving throw so that you take no damage?
    Same goes for other similar spells that kill on a failed save and deal damage on a successful one
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Q678: destruction does 10d6 on a ssuccessful save, death on a failed save. If you are protected from death (like death ward), do you take no damage on a failed save and yes damage on a successful save? can you choose to fail your saving throw so that you take no damage?
    Same goes for other similar spells that kill on a failed save and deal damage on a successful one
    A 678

Quote Originally Posted by SRD>Death Ward
    The subject is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects.
    Destruction is a [Death] spell, so you're immune to it

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    A 677

According to the List of Stuff, no.
    The List of Stuff is not comprehensive. There is such a class. It's just not listed there.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 679

I know this question has been asked before, but I need a RAW answer for an upcoming game.

When calculating the DC for Su abilities, the normal formula is 10 + 1/2 HD + ability mod. My question, is do class levels factor into the HD?

For instance, would a Young Black Dragon (10 RHD), Con 15, and 4 levels of Barbarian have a breath weapon DC of 17, or 19?

Citations if possible, please. I've seen varying answers to this question before.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 679

I know this question has been asked before, but I need a RAW answer for an upcoming game.

When calculating the DC for Su abilities, the normal formula is 10 + 1/2 HD + ability mod. My question, is do class levels factor into the HD?

For instance, would a Young Black Dragon (10 RHD), Con 15, and 4 levels of Barbarian have a breath weapon DC of 17, or 19?

Citations if possible, please. I've seen varying answers to this question before.
    From the glossary:
    Hit Die. In the singular form, a die rolled to generate hit points. In the plural form, a measure of relative power that is synonymous with character level for the sake of spells, magic items, and magical effects that affect a certain number of Hit Dice (HD) of creatures.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

Q680
    Does the feat: Undead Meldshaper allow an undead creature to use it's wisdom score for determining if it meets prerequisites for most of the feats in the book (which require a constitution)

Example: A ghoul used it's 1st level feat to select Undead Meldshaper. At third level could it select the feat: Shape Soulmeld? (presuming that the ghoul has at least 13 wisdom)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 679

In general, there is no clear answer. IMO, without further specification, Hit Dice means all of a creatures Hit Dice.

However, if you look in the glossary of the Monster Manual, you'll find that the detailed descriptions of most of the special attacks refer specifically to the monster's racial Hit Dice when determining the saving throw DC.

For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual 3.5, page 306
    A breath weapon attack usually deals damage and is often based on some form of energy (such as fire). Such breath weapons allow a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + 1/2 breathing creature's racial HD + breathing creature's Con modifier, the exact DC is given in the creature's descriptive text). A creature is immune to its own breath weapon unless otherwise noted. Some breath weapons allow a Fortitude save or a Will save instead of a Reflex save.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Q680
    Does the feat: Undead Meldshaper allow an undead creature to use it's wisdom score for determining if it meets prerequisites for most of the feats in the book (which require a constitution)

Example: A ghoul used it's 1st level feat to select Undead Meldshaper. At third level could it select the feat: Shape Soulmeld? (presuming that the ghoul has at least 13 wisdom)
    A 680

By a strict RAW reading, no.

The feat allows what it says it allows

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 681

If a Rogue 5/Psion 1 manifests a fire Energy Ray vs a Dex denied target, is the damage 1d6+1+3d6, or is it 4d6+4? The language "+1 point of damage per damage die" doesn't seem to discriminate what type of die (such as Sneak Attack dice)
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2018-04-19 at 10:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 681

If a Rogue 5/Psion 1 manifests a fire Energy Ray vs a Dex denied target, is the damage 1d6+1+3d6, or is it 4d6+4? The language "+1 point of damage per damage die" doesn't seem to discriminate what type of die (such as Sneak Attack dice)
    Well, well... It would appear so, that you indeed add +1 to each die, especially because Sneak Attack damage is of the same type as the source (in this case, Energy Ray) would do otherwise and by RAW Sneak Attack doesn't specify if the attack must be made with a weapon. Interesting exploit, to be honest!

(I could be wrong and just have forgotten (or couldn't find) a rule that would prevent adding sneak attack on touch attacks such as spells, powers, etc.)
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-04-19 at 11:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 682

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/seeds/reflect.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spell...Reflection.htm

Is EPIC SPELL REFLECTION expanded when triggered ?
    I mean : do I need to cast this ward again if I reflect a spell ?

And : If you reflect a spell, are you still affected by this spell ?
    Last edited by Puke; 2018-04-21 at 10:08 AM.
    Old setting I used to play : Endless Campaign, Gods and mortals

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

A 682
    No.

It doesn't say it is, so it isn't. It is permanent, as specified in the spell. You are not affected by a spell you reflect. The spell's effects take place on the caster.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q683.
    Do the feats Parrying Shield and Shield Ward stack similar to the way you can get Wis to AC more than once?

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Skevvix View Post
    Q683.
    Do the feats Parrying Shield and Shield Ward stack similar to the way you can get Wis to AC more than once?
    A 683

I assume you meant to say "add shield AC to touch AC" and not "Wis to AC".

But no, they don't. Both feats let you use your shield bonus to Touch Ac, and bonuses with the same name don't stack

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A 683

But no, they don't. Both feats let you use your shield bonus to Touch Ac, and bonuses with the same name don't stack
    ...unless mentioned otherwise. Dodge bonus, for example, stacks with itself.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 684

Do armor and weapons for small creatures weigh less?
    I'm pretty sure they do, but can't find the rule to support it.

20. - Top - End - #1280

Q 684

Do armor and weapons for small creatures weigh less?
    I'm pretty sure they do, but can't find the rule to support it.
    A 684

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm
    "Weight figures are for armor sized to fit Medium characters. Armor fitted for Small characters weighs half as much, and armor fitted for Large characters weighs twice as much."
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm
    "Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A Small weapon weighs half as much, and a Large weapon weighs twice as much."

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 685
    Fire Seeds ...what happens when you miss? Specifically in this case, the acorn grenade version, which is treated as a splash weapon.

If you miss the target (whether aiming at a creature or a grid intersection), roll 1d8. This determines the misdirection of the throw, with 1 being straight back at you and 2 through 8 counting clockwise around the grid intersection or target creature. Then, count a number of squares in the indicated direction equal to the range increment of the throw.
    But Fire Seeds doesn't have a range increment, just a range of 100 ft.

Last session, a player tried tossing one at an enemy inside a murderous mist created by the party's druid. The foe thus had 20% concealment. He got the touch AC, but failed the concealment roll, then rolled a 1 on the d8, and I had no idea where the heck the grenade ends up. I decided in the end that the range increment is effectively "100 ft or however far it was thrown" (it was like 95 ft, so it didn't matter much) and he ended up splashing himself for 16 damage. The caster did not agree with my ruling, though.

How is it supposed to work?

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    Q 685
    Fire Seeds ...what happens when you miss? Specifically in this case, the acorn grenade version, which is treated as a splash weapon.

But Fire Seeds doesn't have a range increment, just a range of 100 ft.

Last session, a player tried tossing one at an enemy inside a murderous mist created by the party's druid. The foe thus had 20% concealment. He got the touch AC, but failed the concealment roll, then rolled a 1 on the d8, and I had no idea where the heck the grenade ends up. I decided in the end that the range increment is effectively "100 ft or however far it was thrown" (it was like 95 ft, so it didn't matter much) and he ended up splashing himself for 16 damage. The caster did not agree with my ruling, though.

How is it supposed to work?
    A685 Fire seeds' acorn doesn't seem to actually be a splash weapon, it just deals splash damage. Consequently, the splash weapon rules shouldn't activate.

In any instance, your player was right. The splash rules have you count range increments in squares so you're not gonna be far enough off the mark to burn yourself most of the time. Either way, if the range increment is "100 feet or however far" then that's one range increment, so you would only count one square away from the target, not 20.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q686
    If a magic weapon hits someone under the effects of both Starmantle (BoED) and Mystic Shield (AtEoS?) is the weapon destroyed?

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A685 Fire seeds' acorn doesn't seem to actually be a splash weapon, it just deals splash damage. Consequently, the splash weapon rules shouldn't activate.

In any instance, your player was right. The splash rules have you count range increments in squares so you're not gonna be far enough off the mark to burn yourself most of the time. Either way, if the range increment is "100 feet or however far" then that's one range increment, so you would only count one square away from the target, not 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Seeds
    Depending on the version of fire seeds you choose, you turn acorns into splash weapons that you or another character can throw, or you turn holly berries into bombs that you can detonate on command.
    It's possible I misinterpreted the meaning for the misfire range. I thought it meant "it misfires a distance equal to its range increment," but it's quite possible that wording actually means it lands a number of 5 ft squares away equal to how many range increments it is. Of course, that would mean if fire seeds just has a "range increment" of 100 ft that you'll always at least deal splash damage to the target since it has a 10 ft radius, which I'm not sure should be how it works, either....

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

A 683

So for clarification, how is it that you can I your Wisdom bonus to ac multiple times?

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

So for clarification, how is it that you can I your Wisdom bonus to ac multiple times?
    A 683 - Clarification

I don't personally know if there's a way.

Taking levels in two classes that have such a class feature might work, however the two most famous ones - Monk and Swordsage - don't synergize because of the armor requirement. Swordsages have to wear light armor and monks have to wear no armor.

Usually, questions on "how" are better left for separate threads and not the RAW Q&A.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

As a side-note, this is probably a good place to check: [3.x] X stat to Y bonus

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q 687

What is the difference between HP and Bonus HP?

It's surprisingly unclear in the SRD, so thank you in advance if you have a good explanation.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

Q688

Does a familiar with alternate form gain the bonus natural armor in their altered forms, or only in their natural form?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ettin in the Playground

A 688

Only in their natural form, however it gains the antural armor of the new form:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Alternate Form
    The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
    The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.