New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Why doesn't Action Surge grant another Bonus Action?

When I read Action Surge I understood that it granted another action for the character. Thus allowing a level 5 fighter to Attack 4 times and use 1 single bonus action if they wanted. But Why exactly doesn't Action surge grant a second bonus action?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Why doesn't Action Surge grant another Bonus Action?

Action Surge (as written) is one of the absolute best class abilities in the entire game. There is no need to give an extra bonus action as well. The game designers are well aware of this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdar View Post
    Action Surge (as written) is one of the absolute best class abilities in the entire game. There is no need to give an extra bonus action as well. The game designers are well aware of this.
    Exactly this. No need to make it more overpowered than it already is, and it's enough that about every (multi-)class guide mentions "oh yeah and if you dip fighter make sure to take 2 levels for action surge!" somewhere, in a community that tends to frown upon impure levelling.
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

In addition to being one of the best abilities as is, as Sirdar states, there are too many things that can break the action economy, such as the Eldrich Knight's War Magic features, that would allow it to fire of two cantrips, and make two weapon attacks in a single turn, or later a spell, a cantrip, and two attacks, if it got a bonus bonus action.

To see how powerful this is, compare the Haste spell, which is the only other way of getting an additional action on one's turn that I am aware of for a PC: It specifically limits the target to basically, every core action that its target can take, except casting a spell.

So avoid this or other shenanigans, they retain a single bonus action.

The only downside, really, is to the relatively rare TWF fighter who can still only make a single of hand attack, and can't use action surge to get both a .off-hand weapon attack and a second wind in the same turn (Although your DM may or may not let you).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

This doesn't quite answer the OP. They asked why it doesn't grant a second bonus action, not why it shouldn't. I usually would not nitpick this, but I recently started a thread where all of one person actually answered my request - the rest were telling me what I was doing was badwrongfun. (Slight exaggeration, but the situation still irked me)

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyIke View Post
    When I read Action Surge I understood that it granted another action for the character. Thus allowing a level 5 fighter to Attack 4 times and use 1 single bonus action if they wanted. But Why exactly doesn't Action surge grant a second bonus action?
    Nitpick aside, what Sirdar sort of didn't really say above is correct. It does not grant a second bonus action.

The "Why doesn't it?" question comes about because of the wording: On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and possible bonus action. The part which can confuse readers is the "and possible bonus action" bit - the reason it's worded that way is because bonus actions are only given due to special abilities, spells, or other features (such as class features). You don't naturally have the ability to take a bonus action - you need to meet prerequisites to use it.

A rewording may make it easier to understand: On your turn, in addition to your regular action and possible bonus action, you may take one additional action.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the input everyone. I was just curious of what others thought.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by SpamCreateWater View Post
    This doesn't quite answer the OP. They asked why it doesn't grant a second bonus action, not why it shouldn't. I usually would not nitpick this, but I recently started a thread where all of one person actually answered my request - the rest were telling me what I was doing was badwrongfun. (Slight exaggeration, but the situation still irked me)

Nitpick aside, what Sirdar sort of didn't really say above is correct. It does not grant a second bonus action.

The "Why doesn't it?" question comes about because of the wording: On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and possible bonus action. The part which can confuse readers is the "and possible bonus action" bit - the reason it's worded that way is because bonus actions are only given due to special abilities, spells, or other features (such as class features). You don't naturally have the ability to take a bonus action - you need to meet prerequisites to use it.

A rewording may make it easier to understand: On your turn, in addition to your regular action and possible bonus action, you may take one additional action.
    Point taken. I didn't occur to me that the thread could be about the confusion that the wording of Action Surge can cause.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I have a weird question here: let's say for a moment that Action surge would give an extra bonus action, other than TWF or second wind, and maybe the ocasional quickened spell, what would make it so much more broken? what are some inventive uses of such an increase in its power?
    "Those who fear Darkness...
    ...have never witnessed what Light can do"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The reasons are as everyone have already said above, but that having been mentioned, it could be fun to have a sub-class of some other class that can grant an extra Bonus Action per rest. Could open up a lot of fun possibilities.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kadarai View Post
    I have a weird question here: let's say for a moment that Action surge would give an extra bonus action, other than TWF or second wind, and maybe the ocasional quickened spell, what would make it so much more broken? what are some inventive uses of such an increase in its power?
    Crossbow Expert and Polearm Master mainly. It'd also be very handy for a MC Warlock or Ranger juggling a marking spell.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

"I'm a Rogue 2/Fighter2. I Action Surge, Disengage from your bodyguard, Dash 60ft to engage your Wizard, Attack him (Sneak Attack!) and Ready an Attack. Your go."

"Uh...I, er...start casti..."

"Stop there. I Sneak Attack you again. You're dead."
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Fighter2 Warlock 2 Sorcerer 6 with hex pulling off twelve 1d10+1d6+5 Eldritch Blasts?
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2017-06-27 at 06:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Shoot, I'd just be happy to Healing Word, Attack with Spiritual Weapon and cast Sacred Flame or Melee Attack with my cleric...
    Trollbait extraordinaire

14. - Top - End - #14

At my table we saw it as you take a set of action, so Action Surge would give the bonus action.
    Possible we aren't doing it right but i'm sure at one point on the forum we had an understanding about it being that the Action surge does give the bonus action.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sirithhyando View Post
    At my table we saw it as you take a set of action, so Action Surge would give the bonus action.
    Possible we aren't doing it right but i'm sure at one point on the forum we had an understanding about it being that the Action surge does give the bonus action.
    The first time I played a fighter in 5th with you guys the DM only granted me one bonus action. And in the game you're talking about (me and Sirith are rl friends) you guys told me I got the other bonus action so since you play more than I do I figured you knew what you were talking about :P

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    "I'm a Rogue 2/Fighter2. I Action Surge, Disengage from your bodyguard, Dash 60ft to engage your Wizard, Attack him (Sneak Attack!) and Ready an Attack. Your go."

So, you're saying, it doesn't allow an extra bonus action so that the fighter/rogue has to either take some damage from an opportunity attack that might hit them, or be one move speed iteration closer to pull this off?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
    So, you're saying, it doesn't allow an extra bonus action so that the fighter/rogue has to either take some damage from an opportunity attack that might hit them, or be one move speed iteration closer to pull this off?
    No, I'm just saying that this is something a Fighter/Rogue can do if Action Surge allows an additional Bonus Action as well. Choosing between Disengage and Dash as a Bonus Action is a pretty frequent conundrum for a Rogue; allowing both...well, it takes out that decision. That's not to mention the possibilities of Use an Object...

Likewise, a Monk could get 4 additional attacks from FoB with that additional Bonus Action. Or Dodge and FoB. Whether or not any of that is reason anough to disallow an additional Bonus Action with Action Surge is another matter (RAW aside).
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

No, I'm just saying that this is something a Fighter/Rogue can do if Action Surge allows an additional Bonus Action as well. Choosing between Disengage and Dash as a Bonus Action is a pretty frequent conundrum for a Rogue; allowing both...well, it takes out that decision. That's not to mention the possibilities of Use an Object...

Likewise, a Monk could get 4 additional attacks from FoB with that additional Bonus Action. Or Dodge and FoB. Whether or not any of that is reason anough to disallow an additional Bonus Action with Action Surge is another matter (RAW aside).
    Right, but the rogue can still do that if-> they don't need to dash or disengage. As I said, all this means is the rogues engagement range is increased by 30ft or they decide to eat an opportunity attack. This is not a criticism of double bonus actions.

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

Uh guys, go read the ability again. It DOES grant an additional bonus action. I know, I was surprised too.
    "No, she's already given her epic one-liner! We're committed now!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Madfellow View Post
    Uh guys, go read the ability again. It DOES grant an additional bonus action. I know, I was surprised too.
    Look again. "On Your Turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible Bonus Action."

The bonus action mentioned is part of the clause modified by "on top of."

Think of it this way: "On Your Turn, you can take one additional action on top of your [regular allotment of on-your-turn actions, which are your] regular action and a possible Bonus Action." On a normal turn, you get Action+potentialBonus, on a action surge turn, you get Action+Action+potentialBonus.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2017-06-27 at 02:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Cybren
    This is not a criticism of double bonus actions.
    I'm not saying it is. I was responding to the post that asked for suggestions on what you can do with double bonus actions.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Nope.

SA p4: "Does the fighter’s Action Surge feature let you take an extra bonus action, in addition to an extra action? Action Surge gives you an extra action, not an extra bonus action."
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Why does everyone want one of the best abilities in the entire game to also have sprinkles and a cherry on top? I can think of no reason to allow an extra bonus action that wouldn't make the two level dip even more lucrative than it already is. Why compound this problem?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Point taken. I didn't occur to me that the thread could be about the confusion that the wording of Action Surge can cause.
    I only thought of it because I had the same issue when I first read the ability. I was incredibly confused and had to put the book down, walk away, and read it another time

Try parsing the sentence like this: [On your turn, you can take one additional action] [on top of your regular action and possible bonus action].
    Or On your turn, you can take one additional action; this is on top of your regular action and possible bonus action.

Edit: On second thoughts, a possible explanation could be that there is no mind given to how bonus actions work. My initial lack of understanding with the ability, I think, was because I failed to grasp how bonus actions worked - the word "possible" threw me. While reading the ability, keep this in mind: It is not your Pelor-given right to have a bonus action each round.
    Your bonus action each round is only possible due to circumstances or class abilities; a third way to read the ability could be: On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and bonus action.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Why does everyone want one of the best abilities in the entire game to also have sprinkles and a cherry on top? I can think of no reason to allow an extra bonus action that wouldn't make the two level dip even more lucrative than it already is. Why compound this problem?
    I think you're misattributing intent. It's not that people want it to have "sprinkles and a cherry on top". It's that the ability is worded in such a way that can - and obviously does - cause confusion.
    Last edited by SpamCreateWater; 2017-06-27 at 06:36 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

His spell would go off first.

To answer the OP, it is because of multiclass balancing.
    Last edited by Misterwhisper; 2017-06-27 at 07:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    His spell would go off first.
    Depends on the exact wording of the readied action.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Action Surge would be a great skill if it was not on the worst class. In it's current state its a mediocre toy.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Matticusrex View Post
    Action Surge would be a great skill if it was not on the worst class. In it's current state its a mediocre toy.
    Mediocre toy? You certainly are brave saying such a thing in this forum. Prepare to defend yourself.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Matticusrex View Post
    No comment on the fighter being worst. However, I'm pretty sure that the design intent of 5e is that you never look at features or abilities in a vacuum. One of the reasons Shillelagh is reasonable is because it is so hard to get along with multi-attack (or SCAG melee cantrip), using the correct attribute, on a character who has the AC to want to enter melee, and somehow doesn't need Str or Dex (making it moot), without so much dipping or feats that it defeats it's own purpose. Same propbably with Action Surge--those who might potentially find the greatest abuse for it also have to most to lose by a 2-level diversion into the fighter class.

30. - Top - End - #30

Lightbulb Re: Why doesn't Action Surge grant another Bonus Action?

"On Your Turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible Bonus Action."
    let me diagram it for you...

one additional action
    --------------------------------------------
    regular action & Bonus Action

On Your Turn, you can take one additional action

(this would be the action surge part.)
    Last edited by N810; 2017-06-28 at 07:58 AM.