New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Nordic/Viking themed Races/Classes for 3.X

Hey all,

My friendly local game master has decided to switch up his game a bit.
    After a long history of playing Bards and Rogues and such, I've decided to go with something a bit more a$$-kicking

Are there any thematic butt kicking classes for a Nordic "Viking" game?
    (Yes I know that its a proud culture and such, but I'm interested in the hitting people with Ax's and such.
    Human, Elves and Dwarfs spring to mind, and Classes like Fighter, Bard, Barbarian, but are there any that are even more thematic?

What Im thinking in particular is a valkyrie race/class, it seems like there would be one, but I cant seem to find one. (maybe it would just be a Paladin of Odin with a pegasus mount?)
    The GM's requirement for things she will allow are it must be 3.X/must have been published in a physical book at some point.

Thanks in advance :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Nordic/Viking themed Races/Classes for 3.X

History note, valkyries served Freya, not Odin. Also, there is the Jotunblud template somewhere, I'm afk or I'd have a source.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    History note, valkyries served Freya, not Odin. Also, there is the Jotunblud template somewhere, I'm afk or I'd have a source.
    Oh, I didn't know that, very cool, my actual knowlage of Vikings is very, very limited.

Id like to keep things as close level one as possible, the ST will likely give me some wiggle room but she wants to start at close to first level as she can.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I am fairly certain Valkyries brought warriors to Valhalla, Odin's great hall. There is a relation to Freyja because of her hall, Folkvangr, which receives half the honored dead.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

In terms of a direct Nordic theme, the skald from the Advanced Class Guide is named after the epic poets of Scandinavian lore, who performed long poems praising both their patrons (usually a king or chief) and the warriors and gods of the heroic age.

In game terms, the skald combines the barbarian’s rage with the bard’s inspiring performance and limited spellcasting. If you want a warrior-poet who stirs the souls of his comrades and plunges into melee while bellowing mad exhortations, the skald should fit the bill.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by chaosgirl View Post
    Hey all,

After a long history of playing Bards and Rogues and such, I've decided to go with something a bit more a$$-kicking

(Yes I know that its a proud culture and such, but I'm interested in the hitting people with Ax's and such.
    Human, Elves and Dwarfs spring to mind, and Classes like Fighter, Bard, Barbarian, but are there any that are even more thematic?

What Im thinking in particular is a valkyrie race/class, it seems like there would be one, but I cant seem to find one. (maybe it would just be a Paladin of Odin with a pegasus mount?)
    The GM's requirement for things she will allow are it must be 3.X/must have been published in a physical book at some point.

There is a prestige class (I think in one of the Forgotten Realms books) that is Griffon Riders. Could be re-fluffed... I think there's one that is Pegasus Riders as well, but I don't recall it at the moment.

There's a Unicorn Rider prestige class... I think in Book of Exalted Deeds?

Two levels of Fighter, then levels of Paladin... Or go Paladin with Smite-to-Song for Bardic Music related stuff. Go Crusader if you want a less "magical" and more "pure determination" style fighter... maybe even Crusader/Bard with Song of the White Raven.

Take "Perform: Opera" and be all Wagnerian with it.

Just don't forget your Spear and Magic Helmet.

7. - Top - End - #7

If you are alright with 3rd Party content, you might want to take a look at the Complete Northlands Saga (which is available as a hardcover).

This massive 800 page tome, includes lore, mechanics, and adventures for a viking themed campaign, and comes very highly recommended by Endzeitgeist.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hackulator View Post
    I am fairly certain Valkyries brought warriors to Valhalla, Odin's great hall. There is a relation to Freyja because of her hall, Folkvangr, which receives half the honored dead.
    Not going to argue every semantic, but scholarly debate of Freya and Frigya being the same being exists in more than one place.

Also. If you really want to be true to source material, go read the Eddas. It's essentially the Nordic bible.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Not going to argue every semantic, but scholarly debate of Freya and Frigya being the same being exists in more than one place.

Also. If you really want to be true to source material, go read the Eddas. It's essentially the Nordic bible.
    Where did you get the name Frigya from? As far as I can tell that name does not appear in the Edda (poetic or prose), is it from some other source?

If you have any references to sources discussing the relationship between valkyrja and Freja I'd be interested in reading them!

As for races/classes, anything related to giants would fit thematically and if you want to play a spellcaster read up on sejdr.
    Geyr nú Garmr mjök
    fyr Gnipahelli,
    festr mun slitna
    en freki renna
    Now Garm howls loud
    before Gnipahellir
    The fetters will burst,
    and the wolf run free

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Why not just refluff some other class into being a viking? There's nothing that says that Rogues, Wizards, and the like can't be viking-themed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If you are open to a Pathfinder game/material, there is also the Viking fighter archetype and the skald class which purport to be Viking themed. You could also probably make a wizard, witch (especially if the character were Finnish), or warshaper style wildshape focussed druid fit into a viking setting with very careful spell selection. There are a number of wizards and witches who show up in the sagas though they don't do fireballs and teleportation.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

Guys, discussing historical Norse deities as opposed to fictional D&D/OotS versions was quite literally given as an example of Forbidden Topic.

@OP: Skald was already suggested, but I would also say that Witch and Oracle (particularly Sea-themed versions e.g. Sea Witch and Waves Mystery) would keep with the Norse theme while also being quite powerful. You can even combine the two via the Shaman class.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #13

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Guys, discussing historical Norse deities as opposed to fictional D&D/OotS versions was quite literally given as an example of Forbidden Topic.

@OP: Skald was already suggested, but I would also say that Witch and Oracle (particularly Sea-themed versions e.g. Sea Witch and Waves Mystery) would keep with the Norse theme while also being quite powerful. You can even combine the two via the Shaman class.
    Good catch.

14. - Top - End - #14

Kobold

Hey all,
    Berronar Valkyrie is a set of 3 Paladin substitution levels for female dwarves. From Champions of Valor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagroth View Post
    There is a prestige class (I think in one of the Forgotten Realms books) that is Griffon Riders. Could be re-fluffed...
    Aglarondan Griffonrider, from Unapproachable East. Cranks mounted combat up a few notches. I've played one before, very fun.
    I think there's one that is Pegasus Riders as well, but I don't recall it at the moment.
    There's the Windrider PrC from Masters of the Wild (a 3.0 book, but still useful) that improves your existing mount. There's also the Skylord, from BoED. Have to be an Elf, but you get a flying mount of your choice (from the list of Giant Eagle, Giant Owl, or Pegasus, all of the Celestial type). There are two more from Champions of Valor, the Knight of the Flying Hunt, that gives you a Pegasus, and the Moonsea Skysentinel, which gives you a Dire Hawk.
    There's a Unicorn Rider prestige class... I think in Book of Exalted Deeds?
    That would be the Beloved of Valarian, yes, from BoED. The Healer class, from Miniatures Handbook also gets a unicorn. That class sucks though, avoid it like the plague.
    Just don't forget your Spear and Magic Helmet.
    winning.
    Last edited by WeaselGuy; 2017-07-12 at 04:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Regardless of what happened, I welcome WeaselGuy's Weasel into our little community.
    My Extended Sig!

Weaselguy's Index of Handbooks and Guides (3.x Ed)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fire_insideout View Post
    Where did you get the name Frigya from? As far as I can tell that name does not appear in the Edda (poetic or prose), is it from some other source?

If you have any references to sources discussing the relationship between valkyrja and Freja I'd be interested in reading them!

As for races/classes, anything related to giants would fit thematically and if you want to play a spellcaster read up on sejdr.
    Its one of the many translative differences. I'm trying to remember where I found the comparison of the two, and where it stated that they were one and the same. I'll dig some more, and grab you a link when capable. It was less from the prose/poem, more a scholarly extraction and analysis.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Bariaurs are LA +1 outsiders from the realm of Ysgard, which is the D&D Asgard.

Races of Faerun has a rather interesting prestige class in Warrior Skald, which grants some bardic music capabilities while being full BA. Deities and Demigods has a unique PrC in the Berserk, which has a rage like ability and the ability to take the form of a few animals. Frostburn has Disciple of Thrym, which is a Full BA divine caster with its own list, including the immensely discounted and utterly hilarious Summon Giants.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Warrior Skald and Berserk, as mentioned.

Anything rune related could also be fluffed to be Nordic flavoured (Runecaster etc.).

Frenzied Berserker and Bear Warrior could also be fluffed as being Nordic, fairly easily.

There is a Valkyrie in ToB, but with 11 RHD and LA +5, not very player friendly. The fluff is also kind of wrong for a traditional Valkyrie, IMHO.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Maybe a Warblade then go for the prestige class that throws things? I only bring it up because the book it is in (Tome of battle: the book of 9 swords) actually has Valkyries in the back as a monster (not level 1 though!).

Edit: Huh, it says that the Valkyries have favoured class as Swordsage (and their disciplines are Setting Sun, Tiger Claw and Stone Dragon). Not what I would have expected.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2017-07-12 at 08:10 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Nordic tales are also quite a bit different from the normal way tales are told in modern times, where important characters are offed without much fanfare and anyone can just die from a single swing of a weapon.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Maybe a Warblade then go for the prestige class that throws things? I only bring it up because the book it is in (Tome of battle: the book of 9 swords) actually has Valkyries in the back as a monster (not level 1 though!).

Edit: Huh, it says that the Valkyries have favoured class as Swordsage (and their disciplines are Setting Sun, Tiger Claw and Stone Dragon). Not what I would have expected.
    The Bloodstorm Blade

Theres also bound to be something in frostburn, probably.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Its one of the many translative differences. I'm trying to remember where I found the comparison of the two, and where it stated that they were one and the same. I'll dig some more, and grab you a link when capable. It was less from the prose/poem, more a scholarly extraction and analysis.
    Thanks, any help is much appreciated!
    Geyr nú Garmr mjök
    fyr Gnipahelli,
    festr mun slitna
    en freki renna
    Now Garm howls loud
    before Gnipahellir
    The fetters will burst,
    and the wolf run free

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragon #337 have small "Viking Raider" article; it doesn't include almost no RAW, but suggesting Fighter class, and says "Viking types are common in Greyhawk's Frost Barbarians and the Forgotten Realm's Sword Coast."
    Also, Seafarer feat, which add Profession (sailor) and Survival to class skill list, and gives +2 on checks in them on a ship or boat

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Are you aiming for historic/mythically accurate or more of a "raiders from the cold north" trope? Either way barbarian or warblade would be my first class choices. There are various skalds out there, but you said you were trying to do steer away from bards.

Race wise, you could go a few different ways, though most of the overtly Norse options are high ECL. The aforementioned Valkyrie from ToB and the Midgard dwarf from Frostburn come to mind. I would probably go Aasimar if I wanted to emulate a Valkyrie. Goliaths and Darfellans are fun alternatives if you want a more exotic northern sea raider.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey all,

Favored Soul gets permanent wings at level 17 with Sorcerer slots and spells known and the Cleric spell list, as well as having 3/4 BAB and getting Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization for their deity's favored weapon. Also Energy Resistance 10 from any three types, chosen at levels 5, 10 and 15. Lawful ones get DR 10/Silver at level 20, while Chaotic ones get DR 10/Cold Iron instead. Neutral on the law/chaos axis get to pick which one.

This obviously works better than Cleric for axe-to-face, as it has better baseline combat ability without needing to use spells. It's also less prone to decision paralysis because you choose a limited set of Spells Known from the Cleric list instead of selecting spells from said list for every slot from that list every in-game day. Spontaneous casting has added advantage in this by letting you pop the buffs when needed without opportunity costs of other spells being prepared. Not knowing other spells is a disadvantage, but it's not like you will need more than the known spells very often.

25. - Top - End - #25

BarbarianGuy

You might find this useful or inspiring, particularly the thread at the bottom about society and culture.

This is much of the same stuff, just consolidated in one thread.

Your DM might find this useful.
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2017-07-15 at 12:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Thanks everyone :)

Ive got some good reading material for Gaming and Not Gaming reasons :)