New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default What's your favorite movie figth?

I love fighting, I mean I greatly hate violence but I do love the choreography of fights in movies, especially if they use a good music with it, it kinds of end up looking like a dance.

Too bad nowadays fights are too fast and have too many cuts on it.

So I want to know what's your favorite fighting sequence in a movie\anime\tv show? Mine is this fight from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. They use so many different weapons and fighting styles, it's between two strong female characters and it's a battle of raw power vs. wisdom and wit. I love it.

What about you guys?
    "The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door."

I want more Strong female characters.

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: What's your favorite movie figth?

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
    I love fighting, I mean I greatly hate violence but I do love the choreography of fights in movies, especially if they use a good music with it, it kinds of end up looking like a dance.

Too bad nowadays fights are too fast and have too many cuts on it.

So I want to know what's your favorite fighting sequence in a movie\anime\tv show? Mine is this fight from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. They use so many different weapons and fighting styles, it's between two strong female characters and it's a battle of raw power vs. wisdom and wit. I love it.

*snip*

What about you guys?
    I must have fallen asleep during that movie because I don't remember that scene. I grant the scene was well done, though. Must have been fun to choreograph. Is the lesson that the older woman is 1% better skilled than the younger?

I must submit the fight scene from They Live between Nada and Frank. Can't see this one too many times.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

[QUOTE=Donnadogsoth;22196115]I must have fallen asleep during that movie because I don't remember that scene. I grant the scene was well done, though. Must have been fun to choreograph. Is the lesson that the older woman is 1% better skilled than the younger?

No the lesson is the younger girl was relying on a super powerful weapon that could destroy any other the older lady used to offset her lesser skill. She was a decently skilled fighter, but not even remotely the best, but was using the stolen sword to act as if she was the queen of the martial arts. Hence the ending where she lost. The older lady could have slit her throat in that moment, magic sky sword or not, because she was outskilled.

A modern way to phrase it is. Imagine if you were a decent shot with a gun. You manage to get your hands on some super advanced gun, it aims itself, loads itself, all you have to do is point and click. So you go down to the gun range and show off how awesome "you" are. Then a navy seal with a pistol shows up and whups your ass because he is far better trained, more experienced, and isnt relying on his weapon to do the work for him. Thats what was going on here.

*EDIT* Here is my favorite movie fight scene. If only because they must have cleaned out three grocery stores worth of celery to provide the sound effects. Skip to 1:40 for when the actual fight begins.

Last edited by Traab; 2017-07-14 at 09:38 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

This one, probably. Fairly mediocre film otherwise.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite movie fight?

I feel like I should pick something swashbuckling (like those posted in the Swashbuckling adventure movies? thread, which were AWESOME!), or something poignant (Saving Private Ryan comes to mind), but alas what sticks in my mind is:

And also this (look at the bones!)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Yeah, Tony Jaa is pretty great. That's my favorite scene in Crouching Tiger, too, but those wuxia movies are a little too wire-y and full of stunt doubles for me to consider them "great fights".
    But if we're going with wuxia fights, here you go
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur68dWVpPRI

There are a lot of movies from the past ten years or so with really intense, fast, brutal fight scenes which are cool. Tony Jaa stuff, The Raid, etc. But I still appreciate some good old fashioned kung fu choreography.

One of my favorite training montage scenes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eZnQhEyTh0

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

So I want to know what's your favorite fighting sequence in a movie\anime\tv show?
    The train fight in From Russia With Love. Old-school Bond movie from the early 1960's, with a superbly well choreographed fight towards the end.

I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Call me a nerd.

But like, it's still so cool.
    I do love the choreography of fights in movies, especially if they use a good music with it, it kinds of end up looking like a dance.
    And it uses good music, and ends up looking like a dance.
    Last edited by Gastronomie; 2017-07-15 at 01:57 AM.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Open Range has a great gunfight scene. Unfortunately, while they get a lot of things "more right" than a lot of other western gun fights, particularly the inaccuracy and chaos of a battle involving pistols, they still resort to a few Hollywood cliches which lessens the overall effect.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

10. - Top - End - #10

Default Re: What's your favorite movie fight?

It's not the most elaborate or the most aesthetically pleasing movie fight, but that's not the point. It's one of the most beautifully outmatched curb-stomping ever. The Walter Sobchak vs. the Nihilists fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have to say my favorite scene is from Kiss of the Dragon with Jet Li fighting Cyril Raffaelli and Didier Azoulay. It's just so intense, with the music backing it up excellently.

All in all there are a lot of great fight scenes in that movie, another favorite is when he curb stomps the karate class at the police station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKStvs5pXEg

And I can't believe this thread still hasn't shown the scene where Bruce Lee fights Chuck Norris in the fricking Colosseum! Not my favorite, but still one of the most iconic fights in the history of kung-fu flicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bxisdu-0_A

Also a good lesson in why you should shave your chest hair if you do martial arts
    "In defeat, malice; in victory, revenge!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Captnq View Post
    Roleplay liking each other or GET OUT. Because I've had it up to my eyeballs with REAL role-players and their "concept" being more important then the rules, fun, and the other players

12. - Top - End - #12

ElfRogueGirl

If we're going to compare fighting to dancing, we should probably give a nod to O-Ren and the Bride, from the first Kill Bill movie.

https://youtu.be/6u90aLRlvnY
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

13. - Top - End - #13

GnomePirate

The heartbreaking, intense, emotional climax of The Room must be my favourite fight scene ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyl6Et9bjKY

14. - Top - End - #14

It's partly nostalgia, but I have a deep abiding love for Jackie Chan. This isn't a specific fight, but it features a lot of ones that I did like and talks about what is good about them.

The Avatar series has some of the best supernatural fights because of how coherent and well realized bending is as a power set. I dunno, I just really like that they can have someone use bending in a creative way mid fight and not have to do any sort of explanation because the audience has a good idea of what kind of things are possible.
    Last edited by solidork; 2017-07-15 at 12:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Here's another good one:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The final fight from City Hunter.

Now, I'm a huge Jackie Chan fan. I own more Jackie Chan movies than most people even know exist, and even though a lot of them aren't very good story-wise, they always have amazing choreography. Jackie Chan has his own style, and he knows exactly what he's doing. Even the worst movies are great to watch to see what he comes up with.

Now, City Hunter is based on an anime of the same name, and is done in the style of a live-action anime. It is very, very silly, and I would be loathe to ever call it a good movie. But hot damn, is it an enjoyable watch. One fight has Jackie Chan directly taking moves from a Bruce Lee movie to win, one fight has Jackie Chan hallucinating everyone as Street Fighter characters, and some jaw-dropping legwork by the gay terrorist (can't remember the actor's name). But the fight scene with Richard Norton is wonderful. The reversals in who is winning are both incredibly stark and hilarious, Jackie Chan showcases his incredible strength and control, and he mixes much more defense while still getting injured than he normally does (which just helps the comedy of the scene). I think Chan likes that movie less than almost any others he's done, and while I agree it's not very good, it's just fun, and that makes it one of my favorites. Although the biggest downside is that because of the director, even the competent women come across as hot goofs, because that's just how he does things. That could have been better.

tl;dr - It's a very silly live-action anime, but it's damn fun to watch.

Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

What about you guys?

That's not even the best fight scene in that movie.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    That's not even the best fight scene in that movie.
    Hey, if we're talking about best fight scenes, I need to re-pick. This is favorite fight scenes.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

How about the fight scene that made generations of young boys pick up sticks and wack each other, all with a merry "Aha?"...Errol Flynn vs Basil Rathbone!

Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2017-07-16 at 09:20 AM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Cap Vs Winter Soldier would be my favourite super-powered fight. The opening move, fist ringing against shield encapsulates the two characters motivations and histories. A shield for the defender, painted patriotic colours because he's a leader and symbol. A cyborg arm for the brainwashed assassin who was made strong against his will, only by having something taken from him, a part of his humanity.
    The ebb and flow as the Soldier pulls out weapon after weapon and Cap reacts to each one in a different way, completely covering against the assault rifle which has power and precision, dodging far and with obstacles against the less powerful and less accurate submachine gun, closing the distance when it quickly runs out of ammo, and staying close while blocking against the semi-automatic.
    Theres hints of the characters thought processes. When the submachine gun runs dry, Cap takes a quick peek before leaping to disarm it. Gives you the feeling that this isn't a choreographed dance (i mean it is obviously but it doesnt feel that way).
    Even when disarmed Cap fights like he's used to a shield. His shield arm covers his face and just tanks hits.
    The noticeable difference between the Soldiers two very different arms, the left being the brute force, the right being the subtle maneuvers.
    The heroic music as they clash that goes quiet and intense as the Soldier gets an advantage.
    My favourite part is that they slow down. The fancy knife moves that blur at the start become a little sloppier and Caps intricate locks and blocks become more rudimentary and desperate. Even supersoldiers get tired fighting each other.
    And its capped (no pun intended) by the emotional climax of Cap becoming unable to fight, so his friends have to save him.
    Cap struggles more against an even match than being completely outgunned, which totally fits his character. The Soldier is at his best when he's closing the distance, like an assassin.
    Yes the cuts are too rapid and theres too much jitter, even the music needs work. But god i love that fight scene.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The final fight in Rob Roy is pretty rad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27M5KWI_q50 ... If we're going into anime probably something from Samurai Champloo, not sure which since I haven't seen the series in ages. There are also some pretty fantastic fight scenes in Avatar TLA and Korra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Does The Raid count? It's essentially a 90-minute long fight scene.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Does The Raid count? It's essentially a 90-minute long fight scene.
    Well, if you enjoy it, you have to read this running commentary where cracked watched it with dodgy subtitle.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-most...movie-history/
    Last edited by Fri; 2017-07-16 at 11:36 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Hey, if we're talking about best fight scenes, I need to re-pick. This is favorite fight scenes.
    Fair 'nuff.

26. - Top - End - #26

RogueGuy

It's either Darth Mail v Obi, qui gon in episode I ..or Anakin v Obi round 1 in episode III.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Spamalot in the Playground

My favorite movie fight sequence? Probably any of the T-800 vs. T-1000 fights from Terminator 2: Judgement Day.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

28. - Top - End - #28

The rooftop fight from Who Am I? is great. I don't think Jackie Chan even knows how to disappoint. He's especially great at mixing comedy and tension into the same scene without detracting from either.

Speaking of comedic fights, Kung Fu Hustle. Start to finish. A loving parody of old-school kung fu films, it's as ridiculous as it is clever, particularly the scene with the musicians.

There wasn't a fight in Jet Li's Fearless that wasn't captivating, particularly the last fight. Impeccably choreographed, emotionally satisfying, and suitably tragic. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it on Youtube, so here's another one that's almost as good.

The Protector/Tom Yum Goong, mentioned upthread, has lots of great fights. My personal favorite is the temple fight scene. The visuals of the flooded burning temple alone is sublime, and Lateef Crowder manages to do something unthinkable: Make Capoeira look dangerous. (It actually is, but it's usually derided as goofy dancing if it's acknowledged at all.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    The Protector/Tom Yum Goong, mentioned upthread, has lots of great fights. My personal favorite is the temple fight scene. The visuals of the flooded burning temple alone is sublime, and Lateef Crowder manages to do something unthinkable: Make Capoeira look dangerous. (It actually is, but it's usually derided as goofy dancing if it's acknowledged at all.)
    The Capoeira part looks really cool (though it seems like it that sort of matchup the guy doing all the flips and handstands is going to run out of steam sooner than his opponent no?). The sword fight part though looked super goofy to me, as did the 'roid rage vs skill fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

My first instinct would be Luke against Vader in The Empire Strikes Back.

The final fight against the spider mech in Ghost in the Shell is also great, even though it's avery simple one. But works perfectly for that moment in the movie.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying