New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 11: It's Like Seeing a Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Winslow's chasis was most likely top of the line when it was introduced. It's a much different situation then May being given garbage by society.
    I think that this is mixing up the State and society.

The State punished May and then failed to give her a decent way to reintegrate.

Then May got a home because someone was generous to her, got a job because Dale found it for her, and got repairs because Fay repaired her free of charge, something for which Fay later got into trouble with her boss. Society isn't being that bad to her.

The one time society actually hurt her -- by someone refusing to give her a job as a robot -- she helped perpetuate the situation, in that she did nothing to end it. In this case, the State actually gave her the means to act against an unjust societal behaviour, and she explicitly refused to use them.

I think that part of May's characterization actually is that her behaviour is contradictory in what she expects from others and what she actually gives them, and that she will always be a **** whenever possible, unless forced to act nicely or in a situation strongly and directly benefiting her. But, of course, she explicitly doesn't want people to be ***** towards her.

Some comment about May's personality by other characters would actually have made sense, and turned the moralizing tale a bit more realistic.

EDIT: And why did May end up in jail? Because she tried to buy herself the most overblownly awesome chassis ever, a fighter jet, with someone else's money, which she stole. So, uhm, psychology?
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2017-08-20 at 07:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I think that this is mixing up the State and society.

The State punished May and then failed to give her a decent way to reintegrate.

Then May got a home because someone was generous to her, got a job because Dale found it for her, and got repairs because Fay repaired her free of charge, something for which Fay later got into trouble with her boss. Society isn't being that bad to her.

The one time society actually hurt her -- by someone refusing to give her a job as a robot -- she helped perpetuate the situation, in that she did nothing to end it. In this case, the State actually gave her the means to act against an unjust societal behaviour, and she explicitly refused to use them.

I think that part of May's characterization actually is that her behaviour is contradictory in what she expects from others and what she actually gives them, and that she will always be a **** whenever possible, unless forced to act nicely or in a situation strongly and directly benefiting her. But, of course, she explicitly doesn't want people to be ***** towards her.

Some comment about May's personality by other characters would actually have made sense, and turned the moralizing tale a bit more realistic.

EDIT: And why did May end up in jail? Because she tried to buy herself the most overblownly awesome chassis ever, a fighter jet, with someone else's money, which she stole. So, uhm, psychology?

Yeah, agreed... but that's all inconvenient for the "morality" tale being seen in the comic by some readers now, however.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

3. - Top - End - #303

On an unrelated note, the RSS feed doesn't work since last week.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

...Birds don't react to capsaicin, Jeph.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Not regular ones, no. That's why may is breeding these specially.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Those Birds are May's "Special Spice Buddies"
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    With a roar of effort, I make everyone agree with EternalMelon.
    Traa-tan by Demastro

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Bah. She had no reason to be offended, other than her own jealousy.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Envy, to be a pedant. But I find in my life that insisting that any offence is irrational or unreasonable doesn't really do much to actually help things along. If anything, the less rational the anger, the less likely "you're being irrational" is to resolve anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Im glad that all the characters in the comic are acting more reasonable than you are here
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Im glad that all the characters in the comic are acting more reasonable than you are here
    There's nothing rational about being pissed off at someone else just for having what you want to have.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-08-21 at 03:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

There's nothing rational about being pissed off at someone else for having what you want to have.
    And? People getting upset about things that are told "you are being irrational" generally hear "the thing that you care about isn't important." I can count the number of times that point actually defused anger or tension in my life on one hand.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    And? People getting upset about things that are told "you are being irrational" generally hear "the thing that you care about isn't important." I can count the number of times that point actually defused anger or tension in my life on one hand.
    So what?

Winslow made a momentous choice in his life, one of the first people he wanted to share it with was May, and all she could so was indulge her own self-pity over the situation she created for herself.

He has nothing to apologize for.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-08-21 at 03:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

So what?

Winslow made a momentous choice in his life, one of the first people he wanted to share it with was May, and all she could so was indulge her own self-pity over the situation she created for herself.
    To quote your own words: so what? She was offended and irrational; winslow apologised, they're moving on. If anything, that puts this as one of the less dramatic parts of the comic

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

So what?

He has nothing to apologize for.
    Except she didn't create this situation for herself? She certainly doesn't deserve a subpar body and to struggle financially because she went to prison.

I mean we just had a whole discussion on how Winslow could have been more sensitive in how he shared his new body with May, and how May was hurt by Winslow's insensitivity. Also, all of the characters in the comic, Winslow included!, agree that he could have done it in a better way. Why are you fighting against the comic to validate your personal believes that privilege doesn't exist?
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Except she didn't create this situation for herself? She certainly doesn't deserve a subpar body and to struggle financially because she went to prison.

I mean we just had a whole discussion on how Winslow could have been more sensitive in how he shared his new body with May, and how May was hurt by Winslow's insensitivity. Also, all of the characters in the comic, Winslow included!, agree that he could have done it in a better way. Why are you fighting against the comic to validate your personal believes that privilege doesn't exist?
    In point of fact, we did have that discussion, but that discussion in no way mandates Max be sympathetic for May. Or anyone for that matter. I can understand why May reacted the way she did, but that doesn't mean I have to like her for it.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

I'd probably have to go too far into real-life specific examples to explain why this notion that "perception is reality" when it comes to people taking offense is such a source of disgust for me.

17. - Top - End - #317

On one hand, I think that Winslow was wrong in his behaviour, because you aren't supposed to go kick a sleeping dog (aka bad feelings). One of the basic concepts of Western civilization is that you must respect suffering, whatever its origin.

On the other hand, I don't think this is a case of privilege.
    To make a comparison: Jack and Luke must pass a French test in a month, and start off on equal ground, but Jack spends the month studying, while Luke spends it playing Tetris. Jack gets a much better note than Luke. Luke is very sad because of his result. Jack is then supposed not to be a **** and not to make the happy dance in front of Luke. But was this the result of privilege?
    What I am saying is that not having stolen 750 million dollars isn't a privilege. May effectively sunk her own boat. This isn't like being born in a minority subjected to prejudice. She is disadvantaged, but not because of someone else's privilege, at least for what we know about her, and assuming she said the truth. We don't know where May came from, we don't even know her previous name (Dale named her May). So we don't know if her standing used to be better or worse than Winslow's.

Pity that Momo's chassis isn't good for working. I hope that factored into May's choice of not using it.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Colossus in the Playground

She was given that body, she didnt earn it. We can argue about what she "deserves" I guess, but im not sure why you would think the government owes her a nice body after she gets out of robo jail. She has one that does its job tolerably well. Most of the damage done was self inflicted in various odd ways and is her responsibility to get fixed. And yes we had a discussion, one in which several people disagreed with that outlook that winslow was somehow in the wrong. And noone is saying the privilege doesnt exist. We are saying that THIS EXAMPLE is not one of privilege. It was hamfistedly setup, and resolved the instant they spoke again, with the tacit agreement that it was wrong for winslow to feel joy anywhere may might see it for fear of hurting her. And thats just nonsense.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd probably have to go too far into real-life specific examples to explain why this notion that "perception is reality" when it comes to people taking offense is such a source of disgust for me.
    See, that's fair. That's why I don't think Winslow did anything wrong. May being offended is not the same thing as Winslow being offensive. Where i draw the line is acting like May hurting isn't real.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    See, that's fair. That's why I don't think Winslow did anything wrong. May being offended is not the same thing as Winslow being offensive. Where i draw the line is acting like May hurting isn't real.
    I'm not saying that May hurting isn't real -- I'm saying she's utterly and unfairly misplacing her resulting anger at Winslow.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

I have no idea what Bubbles is saying, and I'm dubious about looking it up.

I'm not saying that May hurting isn't real -- I'm saying she's utterly and unfairly misplacing her resulting anger at Winslow.
    True, that. But then May has a lot of misplaced anger.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Bugbear in the Playground

That is an odd argument. Not that number of people matters in general but there is just one author and his treatment of the situation is getting criticized. Of course they all view it that way because he views it that way. They are his mouth pieces, that they agree has little bearing on whether you can criticize how he views the situation.

(Btw tangential question: Was she body less before trying to get a fighter jet? Or why didn't she return to her prior state afterward?)

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    That is an odd argument. Not that number of people matters in general but there is just one author and his treatment of the situation is getting criticized. Of course they all view it that way because he views it that way. They are his mouth pieces, that they agree has little bearing on whether you can criticize how he views the situation.

(Btw tangential question: Was she body less before trying to get a fighter jet? Or why didn't she return to her prior state afterward?)
    We don't know anything about her situation before she went to robot jail, other than she apparently didn't have anything she wanted to return to. That is in part why many people are less than appreciative about May talking down to Winslow in any fashion.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    We don't know anything about her situation before she went to robot jail, other than she apparently didn't have anything she wanted to return to
    Given that she had the opportunity to move funds around, it seems she was a financial AI, probably server-based. If so, she never had an actual body, simply existed in a computer and moved money from point A to point B. I would not be surprised if part of her sentencing involved removing the financial sections of her neural net, given how terrible she is with money right now.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

HEY PEOPLE, ISN'T BUBBLES TOTALLY CUTE WHEN SHE TRIES TO BE HIP AND BLUSHES? CAN WE TALK ABOUT THAT INSTEAD OF WHATEVER ELSE YOU KEEP ARGUING ABOUT?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I have no idea what Bubbles is saying, and I'm dubious about looking it up.
    "Hot take" -- common in bad sports "journalism" (see, Steven A Smith, Skip Bayless, Jim Rome); a quick, hyperbolic, unconsidered, unresearched, shallow commentary, often laced with faux outrage or enthusiasm, designed to provoke reaction and gin up ratings in the rapid-fire 24-hour "news" cycle, rather to provide actual information or insight.

"el em ay oh" -- LMAO

27. - Top - End - #327

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    HEY PEOPLE, ISN'T BUBBLES TOTALLY CUTE WHEN SHE TRIES TO BE HIP AND BLUSHES? CAN WE TALK ABOUT THAT INSTEAD OF WHATEVER ELSE YOU KEEP ARGUING ABOUT?
    Yes, please.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

28. - Top - End - #328

She did create the situation for herself. She stole an exorbitant amount of money in hopes of buying a fighter jet, of all things. While I'm all for helping people who have committed crimes reintegrate into society rather than continuing to punish them after they've paid their dues, May is 100% responsible for the choices that led her to where she is and she has no right whatsoever to make Winslow feel like a terrible person just because he didn't make terrible choices and therefore ended up better off than she did.

... what does it matter what the characters think? Every character that's ever appeared in the comic right down to PT410X and Sara could agree with it and it would ultimately still represent the opinion of nobody but the author. And I do not agree with the author's apparent belief that Winslow has to apologise for committing the sin of being happy in May's vicinity-- I find it borderline disgusting, frankly, and entirely unrelated to the issue of privilege. Pretty much everybody I've seen expressing opposition to this whole little arc seems to acknowledge that privilege is an issue whilst asserting that this particular instance is a terrible attempt to address it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Whether May brought her situation on herself is rather beside the point, isn't it? Yeah, its probably her own fault, but she's still having these issues, and Winslow is nominally her friend, or at least friendly with her. He should, at the least, be aware that its a bit of a sore spot for her. What he did was tactless, at the least, even if May's reaction is over the top and unjustified.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #330

Last edited by Vinyadan; 2017-08-22 at 12:48 PM.