New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #7771
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Yeah, but now he can make people explode without even being present. The same with mindraping Barnet after she blacked out from the pain she was going through, which he induced.
    But, well, it's not like Mookie had cared about the possible consequences of giving his characters insane superpowers before. At least Celesto goes through with it.

2. - Top - End - #7772
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, Dominic's able to screw with people's heads from a distance too. And this was before everyone got all "over 9000!"
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-04-21 at 05:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #7773
    Titan in the Playground

You know, Gregory's reaction in that strip is very accurate. Lord Dominus is a God, and Gregory was the first to realize this.

All hail Lord Dominus, and his prophet Greg the White!
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #7774
    Orc in the Playground

Wow, Celesto is pretty dense isn't he?

"Let me kill Barnet for you! It's for making amends."
    "No, please don't kill people..."
    "FINE!!!!"

Later

"Look, I killed someone for you! I'm making amends! Now I'm leaving before what I did makes you throw up."

5. - Top - End - #7775
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mookie-D barfs way too much. Clearly, it's some sort of instinctual reflex of the Dominion Ape. In times of stress or danger, a Dominion Ape will regurgitate to repel predators. Just like the Fulmar.

6. - Top - End - #7776
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    Wow, Celesto is pretty dense isn't he?

"Let me kill Barnet for you! It's for making amends."
    "No, please don't kill people..."
    "FINE!!!!"

Later

"Look, I killed someone for you! I'm making amends! Now I'm leaving before what I did makes you throw up."
    Well, there's always the chance that he is being intentionally dense just to irritate Mookie-D. Which is awesome. Or maybe he just enjoys exploding people...and who doesn't?

7. - Top - End - #7777
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InkEyes View Post
    Mookie-D barfs way too much. Clearly, it's some sort of instinctual reflex of the Dominion Ape. In times of stress or danger, a Dominion Ape will regurgitate to repel predators. Just like the Fulmar.
    I have an alternate theory. It is thought that Donovan Deegan may be comic-aware, that is to say, able to see through the fourth wall and to understand in what, exactly, he is. Dominic partly inherited from him, and the constant barfing is his own reaction to his moments of webcomic-awareness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #7778
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I have an alternate theory. It is thought that Donovan Deegan may be comic-aware, that is to say, able to see through the fourth wall and to understand in what, exactly, he is. Dominic partly inherited from him, and the constant barfing is his own reaction to his moments of webcomic-awareness.
    It's completely possible that both theories could coexist. Perhaps Dominic is vomiting in a futile effort to repel Mookie and his bad storytelling skills.

9. - Top - End - #7779

How silly of him. Vomit only works on gay people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

10. - Top - End - #7780
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    How silly of him. Vomit only works on gay people!
    Celesto is bisexual! Though the effects are dulled, it still makes him queasy.

Also, Dominic's Bastard Watch? Completely worthless.
    a secret to everybody.

11. - Top - End - #7781

no points for guessing who ascended a caste

and oh covered why celesto isn't a self insert
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

12. - Top - End - #7782
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    Also, Dominic? Completely worthless.
    Fixt.

Errors of the day:
    • 0000 - Blush maniac
    • 0002 - Snouts-a-plenty
    • 0301 - Is there some weird-o fanning Dominic off-panel? That paper's going everywhere, and unless Dominic is trying to straighten out while Celesto's talking to him, something's up.
    • 0801 - That paper has a weird number of pages. It's got 5 pages in panels 1 and 2, 6 pages in panels 3 and 7, and 4 in panel 5.

Call out any others.

13. - Top - End - #7783

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Well, there's always the chance that he is being intentionally dense just to irritate Mookie-D. Which is awesome. Or maybe he just enjoys exploding people...and who doesn't?
    Can't it be both?

14. - Top - End - #7784
    Titan in the Playground

See, I still hope that Celesto is using Obfuscating Stupidity to act like he's really on Dominic's side, when in fact he is just executing a Xanatos Gambit to invalidate Dominic's Omniscient Morality License, forcing Dominic to come to terms with his previous actions and shout "My God What Have I Done?!"

But it's increasingly becoming clear that Mookie is immune to such awesomeness. I guess Celesto is actually just going to Flanderize himself down to Dominic's Evil Counterpart until he's forced to make a Heroic Sacrifice which proves the errors of his ways.

There is a good chance that Celesto will be eaten my Karnak anyhow, since Siggy did the exact same thing and was still damned. But, Celesto isn't racist (aside from one off-handed comment) so he might be OK.

Also: Celesto is nauseated by vomit, but not by exploding people?
    ~ Error 0203: Characters routinely exposed to Ludicrous Gibs should not be seriously affected by far lesser stimuli.

Explanatory Rant
    Spoiler
    Show
    ... and yes, I know this was an attempt to make Celesto more interesting by having an apparently contradictory flaw (which is a trope, but I can't find it right now!) but that only works if said contradictory flaw can be rationalized. So, a murderous thug who kills the devout exclusively but secretly maintains a private confessor is OK if you elaborate that the thug suffers from intense spiritual dissatisfaction and thus kills those who are spiritually satisfied in revenge.

If the same guy killed dogs all the time with a burning hatred, but raised and loved puppies, you would just say he is totally insane.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

15. - Top - End - #7785

Just a quick aside from a lurker here, I find it scary that you can remember a single piece of dialogue said by a villain in a daily comic, four and a half years ago.

As to the Celesto flaw thing, I feel it would be better if he had some kind of phobia about mindscapes or something since he's spent a lot of time in that chaotic plane.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

16. - Top - End - #7786

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    ~ Error 0203: Characters routinely exposed to Ludicrous Gibs should not be seriously affected by far lesser stimuli.

Explanatory Rant
    Spoiler
    Show
    ... and yes, I know this was an attempt to make Celesto more interesting by having an apparently contradictory flaw (which is a trope, but I can't find it right now!) but that only works if said contradictory flaw can be rationalized. So, a murderous thug who kills the devout exclusively but secretly maintains a private confessor is OK if you elaborate that the thug suffers from intense spiritual dissatisfaction and thus kills those who are spiritually satisfied in revenge.

If the same guy killed dogs all the time with a burning hatred, but raised and loved puppies, you would just say he is totally insane.
    Meh, it's pretty clear to me that this is just to taunt Dom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #7787
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Meh, it's pretty clear to me that this is just to taunt Dom.
    Maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe.

Though why did he say "again?" That would imply that he was watching Dom while Dominic was fighting the virus... which would add further credence to my Celesto "Xanatos" Morgan theory, since Celesto would have had no good reason to spy on Dominic before Celesto read about it in the paper.

Ooo, ooo! Maybe Celesto has mind-raped Luna while Dominic was otherwise occupied and altered her soul so that she'd end up hating Dominic. After all, It's Personal.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

18. - Top - End - #7788

Explanatory Rant
    Spoiler
    Show

I completely overlooked that. Mookie really should have put that at the end, because it actually would have made a pretty funny punchline.

Obligatory alternate interpretation:
    Celesto's actual line is "I'd rather not be around when you get sick. Again. That sort of thing makes me queasy." He's not referring to vomiting outright, but rather to Dominic getting sick. What he's really saying is as follows: "People like you, who claim to be saving the world but in reality have no stomach to do what must be done, make me sick."
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

19. - Top - End - #7789
    Troll in the Playground

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe.

Though why did he say "again?" That would imply that he was watching Dom while Dominic was fighting the virus... which would add further credence to my Celesto "Xanatos" Morgan theory, since Celesto would have had no good reason to spy on Dominic before Celesto read about it in the paper.

Ooo, ooo! Maybe Celesto has mind-raped Luna while Dominic was otherwise occupied and altered her soul so that she'd end up hating Dominic. After all, It's Personal.
    (<- link)
    I'd still bet on that, even though I see the chances of this whole thing being part of Celesto's scheme dwindling. Celesto may just have wanted to dispatch of a potential witness, but still, Mookie may really have developed an immunity to such a plot.
    Also, I originally thought so because of Luna's behavior here, but now she's back to her normal, bitchy, uptight self.
    Oh, and a possible explanation for Celesto saying "again"? You don't really think Mookie keeps track of character knowledge, do you?

Uh...middle of page 260, eh? Bah. I need to finish that damn article. I'll post it tomorrow, you can hold me to it this time.
    ...page 260...bah!

20. - Top - End - #7790
    Banned

Okay, so...Celesto coming back and trying to kill Barnet as a twisted olive branch to Dominic was okay for me, because it made it look like he actually had more on his mind than "REVENGE! DEATH! CHAOS! MUST KILL EVERYTHING!!"

Celesto coming back and killing Serk Brakkis, once again to please Dominic, is now making it look like he has a raging manlove crush on the seer and wants to kill all his enemies to create a perfect utopia for the two where all the day they can waste away lying in bed and spooning.

Satan spooning.

21. - Top - End - #7791

Excellent idea... I am doubtful whether I will manage to finish the Encycopedia's 2nd edition while still on this page, and I also kinda wanted to hand out awards again (though I am a bit hesitant with regards to that, since so many would have earned some that no way am I going to remember everyone).

Hence, placeholder.

I didn't have an actual breaking-point, it was more of a gradual process for me, which started with the very first few strips of the Snowsong arc, and reached full blossom with its last.
    Get on with it, already. It's been ten pages.
    a secret to everybody.

22. - Top - End - #7792
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    Okay, so...Celesto coming back and trying to kill Barnet as a twisted olive branch to Dominic was okay for me, because it made it look like he actually had more on his mind than "REVENGE! DEATH! CHAOS! MUST KILL EVERYTHING!!"

Celesto coming back and killing Serk Brakkis, once again to please Dominic, is now making it look like he has a raging manlove crush on the seer and wants to kill all his enemies to create a perfect utopia for the two where all the day they can waste away lying in bed and spooning.

Satan spooning.
    Making a utopia through death, as written by Mookie? Dear gods, it'd be like Death Note, except without the complex characters, blurry ethical lines, and intricate cat-and-mouse detective games. He might be able to pull off the sexism if he works at it, though.

23. - Top - End - #7793
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    Making a utopia through death, as written by Mookie? Dear gods, it'd be like Death Note, except without the complex characters, blurry ethical lines, and intricate cat-and-mouse detective games. He might be able to pull off the sexism if he works at it, though.
    I thought he'd surpassed it ages ago. I mean between the rape, the ass-shots, the sexualisation of the helpless, the rape, the fact that Miranda is the only non-fourth caste female character without a crippling emotional weakness, the rape, fluctuating breast sizes and the rape I think he's easily out-done DN in sexism. Hell at least then the only real problems the female cast (all four of them) had were either insanity, stupidity, gullibility or a combination of the three.

24. - Top - End - #7794
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    I thought he'd surpassed it ages ago. I mean between the rape, the ass-shots, the sexualisation of the helpless, the rape, the fact that Miranda is the only non-fourth caste female character without a crippling emotional weakness, the rape, fluctuating breast sizes and the rape I think he's easily out-done DN in sexism. Hell at least then the only real problems the female cast (all four of them) had were either insanity, stupidity, gullibility or a combination of the three.
    On the other hand, at least the female characters in DD have some use beyond shallow ditzes/lovesick pawns.

25. - Top - End - #7795
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    On the other hand, at least the female characters in DD have some use beyond shallow ditzes/lovesick pawns.
    Yeah, but the fact that, the very second comic of the series made fun of the "Females with huge breasts" thing, and now all the females have huge breasts of varying sizes (even between themselves) shows that he's fallen pretty far.

26. - Top - End - #7796
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    Yeah, but the fact that, the very second comic of the series made fun of the "Females with huge breasts" thing, and now all the females have huge breasts of varying sizes (even between themselves) shows that he's fallen pretty far.
    Too true. Still, better to have fallen off the mountain than to never have climbed.

27. - Top - End - #7797

utopia through death, by mookie...

in other news, can anyone piece that speach together?

28. - Top - End - #7798
    Titan in the Playground

Jeez, who gave Mookie a collection of "Death Note" manga?

WARNING - Extremely rambly
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celesto "Kira" Morgan has now taken the stage, and apparently is tracking (with great difficulty?) TIM, who is now Over 9000. Is this a subplot? A spin-off? Or just Mookie trying so hard to make a Kudzu Plot. At least this Arc is over (see the Arc Words were right there)...

Also: "realm of cyclopean insanity" - WTF? I know it sounds good in your head, but try to make the words mean something when they're strung together.

Um... but on that note, at least we see that Celesto (apparently) still has a character. Maybe he really is a Mookie-C now, a Darker and Edgier version of Mookie-D, but if so, how can Mookie possibly allow two equal versions of himself to co-exist in a comic? Mookie-N was quickly shipped off to WA (and Mookie-S was sent to Aberxast), so Mookie-C is allowed to Walk the Earth to get him out of the picture.

But eventually, these guys will need to actually share the stage with Mookie-D, if this comic is still going to be about him. Maybe... is Mookie trying to set up another Epic Arc, like "War" or "Storm?" Perhaps that will be his last hurrah, after he realizes that he can't do another "Storm" because everyone knows that nobody they care about will die, and if they do they're just going to be brought back as a bastardized version of their former self.

I wonder what Celesto will look like in Hell? Or maybe Mookie will just un-make him, since Celesto is the only character who does not fit in this Theme Park comic. Hey, maybe we'll see Jacob doing something after a thousand years. He was in "Visions" and then just had cameos in "Storm" and "Class Action" - wasn't he supposed to be a major villain? If Mookie is going to resurrect Celesto, he'd better give Jacob some screentime!

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #7799

Celesto: Oracle.... AND Hunter.

Whatta tweest!
    a secret to everybody.

30. - Top - End - #7800
    Troll in the Playground

utopia through death, by mookie...

in other news, can anyone piece that speach together?