New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

The thoqqua, like the ravid, is another immigrant from the Planescape setting.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like a +0 to me; a bit hard to work with, but solid stat boosts and some useable abilities. It's good enough that at least for some builds it will work quite well.
    and you can get a very high AC early on which can be handy.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm a firm -0.
    No manipulators. No limbs. No ability to speak.
    Always on contact fire damage complicates healing/buffing and wearing items.

It's questionable whether or not it works with Totemist/other meldshapers, because soulmelds occupy magic item slots, and it's missing hands, arms, legs, and feet.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #364

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    I'm with you on the -0, but I feel like the thing that really complicates item-wearing is the lack of actual body parts. You're totally at your DM's mercy when it comes to determining what body slots you'd even get: maybe just waist, throat and head, and possibly shoulders.

It's questionable whether or not it works with Totemist/other meldshapers, because soulmelds occupy magic item slots, and it's missing hands, arms, legs, and feet.
    Well, Magic of Incarnum actually addresses this in the Monster chapter. Creatures with no limbs don't have arms or hands chakras, but they still get head and shoulders, and they can count their tail end as their feet chakra. Also, all totemist soulmelds can occupy the totem chakra, which isn't associated with a body part, and binding to the totem chakra doesn't occupy a magic item slot. So, totemist is still functional for a thoqqua, though your options are obviously still a bit more limited than they would be for a humanoid.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2017-09-16 at 12:02 AM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Cure moderate wo-OW! ...Cure serious wounds!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

Is there any races that heal from fire the way Mechanatrix heal from electricity?

7. - Top - End - #367

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Is there any races that heal from fire the way Mechanatrix heal from electricity?
    Iron golems heal from magical fire attacks.

Maybe some kind of fire subtype elementals or outsiders, appropriate type of mephit maybe? But those might require actual flames.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #368
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Iron golem :D

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Ash Rats from MMII and Giant Striders from Monsters of Faerun. The latter actually have a LA despite an Int of 1 (they got it in the update document just like the Hairy Spider did). As I recall, neither is exactly like Mechanatrix Electricity Healing, and that they instead get the benefit of a Cure Light Wounds spell when they would otherwise take fire damage.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2017-09-16 at 03:44 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Over the past week or two, an amusing discussion in one of the spinoff threads went in a silly direction that some of you might be interested in. Its roots start here, if you're interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Mephits get fast healing from various conditions.

Fire, Magma, and Glass Mephits all require some fire to gain their fast healing.

Not really the same thing but it's close, and it's a playable race (unlike Iron Golems which are fun but not as PCs).

12. - Top - End - #372

Planetar

Away from books, but I think the Phoelarch do.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Titan

Titans, being the 20 RHD outsiders they are, are very hard to assign a LA to, if only because of the sheer number of abilities they get. To somewhat simplify things, I'll be comparing them to balors, those other 20 RHD exemplars of chaos.

The most obvious difference is size: balors are Large whereas titans are Huge. In terms of ability scores, titans definitely come out on top. Their land speed is higher, but they can't fly like balors can. Natural armor is equal. A titan's SR is 4 points over the fiend's, but has no energy immunities or telepathy and worse DR. Balors also have slightly stronger natural attacks, as well as much stronger special weapons.

Magic-wise, I think balors are better off as well compared to the kinda weak list of SLAs titans get. The titan's stronger 1/day abilities are more than compensated for by at-will True Seeing and Summon Demon, in my opinion (unless your DM allows Gate cheese, in which case all bets are off anyway).

All things considered I'm not sure I'm convinced the titan deserves +0 LA. -0 and +0 both seem possible: for now I'll go with +0 because it's still a versatile and strong ultra-outsider.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #374
    Barbarian in the Playground

Definitely +0 for a Titan. Outsider HD and, for once, acceptable at-will SLAs on par with lesser spell lists. However, the CL on the SLAs concerns me-a specified caster level means the SLAs will not scale past 20HD, and that will get noticeable around ECL 25-26.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

The RHD rule out being a casting class, but I would take a Titan 20/Warblade 1 up against almost any mundane low-epic character and expect the Titan to win. It has a number of abilities that are normally unavailable (without major work) to non-casters:
    -Greater Dispel
    -Invisibility/purge
    -Etherealness (no ghost touch weapon? too bad, you miss 50% of the time)
    -At-will healing, 1/day greater restoration,
    -Decent suite of 9th-level spells (Gate, maze, SNA9, meteor swarm) that grant good minions or major versatility boosts.
    -Auto-quickened at-will Chain Lighting for 20d6 AOE damage with a 1200' maximum range. IF it sees them coming, the Titan can kite and chain-lightning almost anything that lacks Evasion to death with its 60' move speed.

On top of that, it has great stat bonuses, 15' reach, good DR, and more Natural Armor than any player aside from a druid or dragon will normally get.

I am probably going to be in the minority here, but I think LA+1 or LA+2 is appropriate.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

16. - Top - End - #376

Titans are borderline.

It can get a +0 on the merits of its magical abilities, but there's no path to improve them. That's a serious problem.

At Level 20, it's magical abilities are roughly comparable to a Warlock 20. It's capable of being a competent melee combatant, but that's of relatively low value at this level, and only declines further, relatively speaking.
    However, once each levels up, the Warlock 21 can be a whole lot better, depending on which epic warlock feat gets taken (Shadowmaster).

I really don't know how you would go about advancing a Titan.
    You could maybe try talking the DM into letting the Charm Monster SLA meet the Charm Person SLA prereq of Mindbender, but ... eh?
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

+0 is good. -0 is for things that are either horribly weak or straight up unplayable. Titans are at least competent, even if they're not the best of the best.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

titan looks like +0 or +1
    the balance point gets kinda weird here, which makes it hard to assess. the ever growing divergence between martials and casters; plus the fact that it's about to enter epic makes it hard to assess. titan looks like it would compare favorably to many martials; it has huge and awesome stat boosts, which will greatly help out its martial potential, and opens up a lot of other things. good built-in slas.
    I find it really hard to figure on a number.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    It has a number of abilities that are normally unavailable (without major work) to non-casters:
    I'm not going to dispute the list, but why would you compare a titan, which is clearly a gishy type, to a non-caster, instead of a bardsader or Ordained Champion-type build? Not necessarily a full caster, but at least something with access to 6th or 8ths and a decent caster level. Suddenly, the comparison is much less flattering. Titans still aren't bad, but they don't need more than LA +0.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    The RHD rule out being a casting class, but I would take a Titan 20/Warblade 1 up against almost any mundane low-epic character and expect the Titan to win. It has a number of abilities that are normally unavailable (without major work) to non-casters:
    -Greater Dispel
    -Invisibility/purge
    -Etherealness (no ghost touch weapon? too bad, you miss 50% of the time)
    -At-will healing, 1/day greater restoration,
    -Decent suite of 9th-level spells (Gate, maze, SNA9, meteor swarm) that grant good minions or major versatility boosts.
    -Auto-quickened at-will Chain Lighting for 20d6 AOE damage with a 1200' maximum range. IF it sees them coming, the Titan can kite and chain-lightning almost anything that lacks Evasion to death with its 60' move speed.

On top of that, it has great stat bonuses, 15' reach, good DR, and more Natural Armor than any player aside from a druid or dragon will normally get.

I am probably going to be in the minority here, but I think LA+1 or LA+2 is appropriate.
    Note that the quickened spell-like ability only works 3/day, so it's not actually as good as you fear.

Other than that, I agree that those are good capabilities -- but to me they look like fair play vs. what other level 20 characters can do, especially since level 20 puts Shapechange on the table.

They're more like a primary caster gish than like a BSF, so that's how I'd evaluate them. And so far as I can see, a Titan can't do anything that a competent gish couldn't do.

Verdict: LA +0.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Titan is pretty silly IMHO. It had huge stats, strong SLAs, amazing HD and cam even negate the downside of being huge at little cost to itself. No way this thing is -0. That being said, a few things occur:
    1) It scales awfully into epic. Getting those caster levels on its SLAS up will be hard and starting a class over from scratch except wit epic bonuses is bleh.
    2) Very little flexibility. Two similarly aligned titans will only really be different in feats and those can only do so much, especially since it misses out on some of the (IMHO) really cool monstrous feats.
    3) Difficulty specializing. Some of those SLAS are amazing, but the titan will struggle to get those to keep up with someone who really wants to be good at the thing the SLA does. Titan in turn will have better melee but the other person will have casting to back them up.

I guess a better way of putting it is that titan is extremely strong but very much a known quantity. If the DM can figure out how to deal with them then there is really no room for the titan player to pull a rabbit out of their hat (aside from regular Gate shenanigans, but plenty of classes can do that anyways).

+0 seems fine here.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

build-wise for a titan; my assumption would be that with its huge base stats bonuses (then augmented even further with the +stat items and tomes), it's basically going to use a dip build focused on getting the x stat to y bonus things, plus any other random utility effects it can get.

to a fair extent a titan's effect in a game would depend on the optimization level (at least that's my impression); mostly the titan just gets bigger numbers, at a low op table where big numbers matter, it'll shine; at highre op tables those big numbers mean very little.
    or maybe it's just that the titan is a high floor/low ceiling choice.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2017-09-17 at 08:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    build-wise for a titan; my assumption would be that with its huge base stats bonuses (then augmented even further with the +stat items and tomes), it's basically going to use a dip build focused on getting the x stat to y bonus things, plus any other random utility effects it can get.

to a fair extent a titan's effect in a game would depend on the optimization level (at least that's my impression); mostly the titan just gets bigger numbers, at a low op table where big numbers matter, it'll shine; at highre op tables those big numbers mean very little.
    or maybe it's just that the titan is a high floor/low ceiling choice.
    The best x to y is Charisma stat really isn't high enough to do that any better than a Unicorn or a Succubus. Alternatively, INT, but the same statement goes with other lower hanging races.

I tend to agree though that +0 is appropriate. A well designed Titan can function fine.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

24. - Top - End - #384
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd say it's easily comparable to a T2 caster, before you factor in one of the best chassis in the SRD.

+32 STR, +2 DEX, +28 CON, +10 INT, +18 WIS, +14 CHA. Full BAB, all good saves, 8+INT skill points, SR 32 (so pretty good against even a CL20 caster), DR 15/Law, +19 NA. Those are some stupidly huge numbers.

Now factor this:
    Spell-Like Abilities
    At will—chain lightning (DC 23), charm monster (DC 21), cure critical wounds (DC 21), fire storm (DC 24), greater dispel magic, hold monster (DC 22), invisibility, invisibility purge, levitate, persistent image (DC 22); 3/day—etherealness, word of chaos (DC 22), summon nature’s ally IX; 1/day—gate, maze, meteor swarm (DC 26). Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based

At wills are comprehensive and potent, especially Greater Dispel, but I don't think it's any worse than an equal-leveled sorcerer considering 3/day Etherealness, Word of Chaos, SNA IX and the 1/day Maze, Meteor Swarm and Gate. Yeah, can't cherry pick obscure spells, but compare it to a PHB Sorc, or even your non-forumite one, and the Titan will probably come ahead by a good margin.

For crying out loud, that's nine 9th level spells per day, plus 3 of one of the strongest 7th levels around, plus either another 9th level or Greater Reatoration. Your at wills make Warlocks cry, your melee makes barbarians cry.

It can more or less answer to any situation with its SLAs, it's all-around highly resistant, considering its saves, huge stat boosts, SR and the wealth of a 20th+ level player. It's awesome at skills due to 8+INT and having +10 racial to it, the DCs of the SLAs all be hitting mid-30s to low 40s.

Closest thing I can think of is a Gestalt Barbarian/Sorcerer with very high point buy, and even then, the Titan comes ahead in a number of aspects.

Would I allow it in a 20th level game? Probably, but that's considering everyone else would be rocking PrC capstones and whatnot.

I'd feel more comfortable with an LA of +1.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2017-09-18 at 12:10 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Majority seems to favor +0 (and the other -0 and +1 votes cancel each other out to some degree), so LA shall be kept at +0.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Tojanida

The tojanida is one of those things that's just too weird to make jokes about. Where to even start? Its ridiculous arrangement of limbs? Its strange eye-things? Its deformed mouth? (or at least, I hope that is its mouth)

Ah well, let's just start the assignment.

Juvenile

3 outsider RHD, small size, and bonuses to each stat that's not intelligence or charisma (with the former being average and the latter incurring a small penalty). Natural attacks are two weak claws and a quite strong bite. As is to be expected of an aquatic outsider, its swim speed is high. Sadly, land speed is a joke. Immunity to two energy types and resistance to two more is useful, and to a lesser degree all-around vision is as well.

As for offensive special abilities, there's improved grab (of questionable use on a small creature) and the ability to either duplicate Fog Cloud (underwater) or briefly blind foes with ink (out of the water). The blinding may be worth it as a short-range debuff, the cloud will hamper your teammates as well.

Are juveline tojanidas unplayable? I don't think so. The chassis is pretty neat compared to its cost, and especially in more aquatic campaigns various builds are viable. +0 seems okay.

Adult

Medium size, slightly more strength, a slightly harder shell, and slightly stronger natural attacks, and all that for the low price of 7 RHD! How about no.

Elder

15 RHD does not make up for what's just another size increase. -0 here as well.

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

I was looking these over last night in preparation and I would go -0 for all of them outside of an aquatic campaign specifically because I am not confident that they can breathe air. Water subtype creature can explicitly breath water but can "usually breathe air" but offers no clues as to when that may be. Assuming it is decided by individual monster then tojanida cannot breathe air and thus really are not suitable for non-aquatic games.

If they can then I am still not convinced they are +0 but that is mostly because 10 foot land speed is just painful.

Also I am sleepless and thus suffering l'esprit d'escalier :
    First I realized at like 7 AM EST that great Wyrm metallic and red dragons could actually be +0 worthy because of the way epic works; secondly someone in an early thread was lamenting the lack of good RAW goblinoids and I totally forgot to mention air goblin. Sorry dude whoever you are! I hope you discover those cool dudes eventually!

Also an air race tojanida would cleanly solve the breathing problem but such a thing is outside the scope of this thread.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    [CENTER]Tojanida

Juvenile

3 outsider RHD, small size, and bonuses to each stat that's not intelligence or charisma (with the former being average and the latter incurring a small penalty). Natural attacks are two weak claws and a quite strong bite. As is to be expected of an aquatic outsider, its swim speed is high. Sadly, land speed is a joke. Immunity to two energy types and resistance to two more is useful, and to a lesser degree all-around vision is as well.

As for offensive special abilities, there's improved grab (of questionable use on a small creature) and the ability to either duplicate Fog Cloud (underwater) or briefly blind foes with ink (out of the water). The blinding may be worth it as a short-range debuff, the cloud will hamper your teammates as well.

Are juveline tojanidas unplayable? I don't think so. The chassis is pretty neat compared to its cost, and especially in more aquatic campaigns various builds are viable. +0 seems okay.
    Being Small doesn't mean Improved Grab is useless. You just need to stack on the bonuses, like any other optimization problem. In this case, Totemist (for Girallon Arms) + some Psionic class (for Expansion) => Soul Manifester (to advance both).

Regarding land speed... yeah, you're going to want a way around that.

I don't see any good ways off the top of my head, though. Elocator wants base speed. Wing grafts seem to also target base speed or base land speed.

Barbarian 1, maybe? Trade out your basic Lion Spirit Totem class feature for +10 ft. movement?

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by White Blade View Post
    The best x to y is Charisma stat really isn't high enough to do that any better than a Unicorn or a Succubus. Alternatively, INT, but the same statement goes with other lower hanging races.

I tend to agree though that +0 is appropriate. A well designed Titan can function fine.
    it's not the x to y charisma that's great; it's that it has huge boosts in many stats which means it can get the x to y bonuses for cha, wis, int, and con simultaneously. (and str, but there'es not much for str).
    Last edited by zlefin; 2017-09-19 at 10:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #390

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Being Small doesn't mean Improved Grab is useless. You just need to stack on the bonuses, like any other optimization problem. In this case, Totemist (for Girallon Arms) + some Psionic class (for Expansion) => Soul Manifester (to advance both).

Regarding land speed... yeah, you're going to want a way around that.

I don't see any good ways off the top of my head, though. Elocator wants base speed. Wing grafts seem to also target base speed or base land speed.

Barbarian 1, maybe? Trade out your basic Lion Spirit Totem class feature for +10 ft. movement?
    The Quick trait? +10ft speed for -1HP/HD? Racial bonus to Constitution helps mitigate the downside there.

I'd go -0 for all of the Tojanidas.

The "crablike claws" sound like they'd be poor manipulators/substitutes for hands.
    Spoiler
    Show