New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris II: I, For One, Welcome Our New Robot Fungus Hivemind Overlords

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    What if there was a Endgame Crisis that wasn't military in nature? How might something like that work, in terms of an end-goal or obstacles? Just brainstorming, basically.
    An AI crisis could always have been a bit more interesting. Instead of just taking over robot pops and ships, I'd really like to see an AI crashing your research databases, or your stock market.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris II: I, For One, Welcome Our New Robot Fungus Hivemind Overlords

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I feel like planets fill up *way* faster the more species you have (that actually like the biome, of course).
    Or in the rare case, you have pops that dont like the biomes immigrating too. (Or refugees. I can't tell.)

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it just me, or does post 2.0 feel slower and buggier?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I haven't noticed any major speed change since 2.0.

2.2 is apparently considerably faster though due to one of the major loads being AI pop management which no longer exists.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Is it just me, or does post 2.0 feel slower and buggier?
    It's not just you, no. In a lot of ways, 2.0 was a major step backward for the game.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

Been playing again, came up with a few thoughts...

Voidborn is good if you want to get into megastructures as quickly and efficiently as possible, because you go for some ascendency, then Voidborn, then Master Builders, then finally into the megastructure construction as your 4th option. However, if you don't, then you don't qualify for Master Builders until after Megastructures, which has to be the 4th regardless because it requires three other ascendency perks first, meaning you can't just start building your Dyson Sphere or Ringworld or whatever as cheaply until after your next ascendency perk gain. Of course, Habitats are a bit of a nuisance to begin with, I've only recently discovered how efficient they aren't. So this time I'm skipping it all together, and just settling for being unable to build megastructures as rapidly until my fifth ascension slot.

I'm trying to stack tall instead of deep this run, so I only have three planets colonized, however both of my colonies have population caps over 20. I'm trying to keep down the incidental costs of tech and unity for now.

In other news, this is probably my first game where my neighbor doesn't immediately want to rip out my guts, and HIS neighbor is at least tolerably amused by me. I've already got a non-aggression pact with my neighbor, which seems pretty mutually beneficial. Unfortunately for him, I 'accidentally' expanded into his two choke points, meaning either he has to war with me or his other neighbor to go anywhere, preventing him from being a major long-term threat without at least warning me of his hostile nature by breaking the treaty with me or his other neighbor first.

I've run into an interesting FE. It has three systems with ringworlds set up. I'm a bit concerned because they were preserving biologicals from <Data Corrupted>, which makes me worry about the Ghost Signal as my long-term crisis event. Considering I'm playing as an AI race... this is troublesome. I am also absolutely salivating over the thought of those ringworlds belonging to me. Obviously, I don't have near the fleet strength or the tech to deal with them now, but there will come a day... oh yes, there WILL come a day. I still need megastructure ascendency to repair ringworlds, right?

I've also got a couple of enclaves in my territory, one artist troupe and one science.

The only really hostile fellows in 'town' are blocked by the FE, so a non-threat at the moment. They only have an equivelant fleet strength anyway, I'm not too concerned about them yet. They are adjacent to a fairly friendly race, and since they're xenophobic, I foresee a war breaking out in that region in the not too distant future.

Currently working on cruiser tech, my single fleet consists of ten destroyers in an 1L/3S configuration. No one yet has any missiles or hangar bays, so there's no need for PD. I haven't built up yet because I haven't really felt a need to and I'm a bit poor at the moment from trading with the various enclaves, so I don't really want to increase my maintenance costs to the point that I can't keep up. I probably could work it up to max fleet strength if I wanted to, but honestly it won't take me long if I have a sudden need to and I am focusing my efforts on other areas at the moment. It's not like any of these ships are still likely to be in commission in the end game anyway. Hoping to unlock Terraforming and Star Fortress tech soonish, although I'll definitely snap up Battleship construction if it pops up next.

It's not a shabby place to be at the moment. I'm working on slowly but surely surveying and claiming with a pair of science vessels and a pair of construction ships behind them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

7. - Top - End - #1327

Flumph

I've been playing the New Horizons Star Trek mod.

I think it improves quite a lot over the base game, especially in fleets and in special mechanics like the Federation Council that lets you do diplomacy, change some special policies, and get special techs based on who your members are (other species have their own like the Obsidian Order or Tal'Shiar).

My super-late-game fleets in this mod have 5 ships in, and that uses 248 fleet cap.

That means each individual ship means way more.

It does tank performance though, with a 1400 star galaxy with about 60 empires scurrying around.

Spoiler: There have, however, been some unforseen outcomes...
    Show

What could possibly go wrong?

8. - Top - End - #1328

Well, for one thing that could possibly go wrong, the picture in your spoiler box could not show up for the same reason your avatar isn't.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ettin in the Playground

To be more precise - imgur no longer works on the Playground. We can't even for the most part tell that an imgur image has been posted - it's blank. You can see it, because caching. We can't.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

10. - Top - End - #1330

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    To be more precise - imgur no longer works on the Playground. We can't even for the most part tell that an imgur image has been posted - it's blank. You can see it, because caching. We can't.
    If you click reply on his post you can extract the Imgur link from the text and view it that way--bit awkward, true, but it works.

11. - Top - End - #1331

So, who else is super excited for Megacorp? Playing a crime syndicate sounds delicious.

12. - Top - End - #1332

I'm excited to combine the crime syndicate and mega-church rules to play as a galaxy-spanning cult!

Edit: This is basically the Foundation series expansion, isn't it? I'm very excited.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2018-10-29 at 06:41 AM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

13. - Top - End - #1333

We already had a patch called Asimov, but yeah, I guess it is.

Why is this one called Le Guin anyway? I don't see anything that connects to any Le Guin novels I've read.

14. - Top - End - #1334

BlackDragon

Was there anything linking to Asimov's work in the Asimov expansion? Pretty sure they're just using random SF author names.

15. - Top - End - #1335

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    We already had a patch called Asimov, but yeah, I guess it is.

Why is this one called Le Guin anyway? I don't see anything that connects to any Le Guin novels I've read.
    Have they been matching up names to content previously, or just going through the Sci-Fi touchstones?

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

16. - Top - End - #1336

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Have they been matching up names to content previously, or just going through the Sci-Fi touchstones?
    Hmmm....

Heinlein - Leviathans. Free Features: auto-explore, rallying navies, expansion planner, strategic resources, revised ship types, sector governors. He doesn't deal much with large ship fleets or interplanetary bureaucracy, does he. Or giant space monsters, as far as I know. Something something Starship Troopers?

Banks - Utopia. Paid Feature: Megastructures, Ascencion Perks, Purging, Slavery. Free features: rights, privileges, refugees, changes to unity and traditions, consumer goods, etc. Seems to fit quite well. Megastructures and Ascencion are a very Culture thing.

Capek: Synthetic Dawn. Paid features: Machine Empires, machine revolts. Free features: refining robot workers, pre-sapient policies, vassals, purging. Capek was the first person to use the word "robot", formerly a serf, for a mechanical humanoid, in his play Rossum's Universal Robot.

Cherryh: Apocalypse. Paid Features: PLanet Destruction, Titans, Ion Cannons, nomadic marauders. Free: general war and border overhauls. She certainly wrote some very large-scale Sci-Fi, some of it concerned with wars, but I haven't read enough of it to really judge.

Niven: Distant Stars. Sealed off gateways, new anomalies, unique solar systems, new gargantuan creatures. Hmm. Mote in God's Eye is about first contact, he's also famous for Ringworld and Known Space... the Belter stuff doesn't really apply here, but I guess Ringworld does feature space archaeology, in a way.

So, that's two very obvious matches and a few unclear ones.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2018-10-29 at 07:10 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Do we have a date when this is coming out?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Do we have a date when this is coming out?
    No, not yet. Not for a while, though - it's something like 4 months on average between announcement and release for Paradox.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    No, not yet. Not for a while, though - it's something like 4 months on average between announcement and release for Paradox.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was longer yet. They are redoing basically the entire economy of the game along with a lot of the stuff that are connected to it (i.e. traditions). It's on par with the scale of the changes in the 2.0 update. With all the bugs that came along with 2.0 and a lot of the bad press that update got initially (although a bunch is due to limiting the FTL systems), I could imagine the team really wanting to wait it out. I doubt the team is going to be pressured to pump it out given that Stellaris is possibly PDS' biggest hit.

Regardless, as soon as I heard that the Le Guin update was going to add in a Vic2-esque system of social stratification, I hit the "can't play current version because new update looks too good" phase of the patch cycle.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Bugbear in the Playground

I haven't played Stellaris since about 4 months after it came out. It didn't grab me the same way most other Paradox titles have (except HoI - couldn't get into those either). Do you think it will be too complex to jump back into without having read any of the patch notes between then and now?

21. - Top - End - #1341

Currently, I wouldn't say it's actually much more complex than it was when it came out. Especially if you don't buy the DLCs. But it's more interesting. I mean, have a go, you'll see. Some stuff was actually simplified and there's less bookkeeping for some stuff.

22. - Top - End - #1342

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by houlio View Post
    Regardless, as soon as I heard that the Le Guin update was going to add in a Vic2-esque system of social stratification, I hit the "can't play current version because new update looks too good" phase of the patch cycle.
    I've gotten to that point as well.

Partly because my last empire was surrounded by hostile advanced starts (I set all AI to advanced start, Grand Admiral/Scaling difficulty) and their giant federation keep declaring ideology wars on me (the third one just started). They're easy to win because all I have to do is swat their fleets down and wait for war exhaustion to status quo out as they don't make claims, but they have annoyingly large and persistent fleets and it's four on one (technically two but AI defensive pact partners aren't very useful).

So waiting for 2.2 so I can play a Fanatic Xenophile/Charismatic Megacorporation with Criminal Heritage and the Xeno-Compatibility perk.

Space Pimps.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Currently, I wouldn't say it's actually much more complex than it was when it came out. Especially if you don't buy the DLCs. But it's more interesting. I mean, have a go, you'll see. Some stuff was actually simplified and there's less bookkeeping for some stuff.
    Cool. Thanks.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Banned

Planetar

What are everyone's Iron Man friendly mods please? Reinstalling for 2.2, not played since before the Hyperlane only FTL decision.

25. - Top - End - #1345

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    What are everyone's Iron Man friendly mods please? Reinstalling for 2.2, not played since before the Hyperlane only FTL decision.
    The only mod I play is Star Trek: New Horizons. Which is basically the best Star Trek game and includes lots of things the base game could do with stealing (like the Federation mechanic if you're playing a UFP founder). (Actually that might be the solution to my ennui with my vanilla game. Play Borg.)

The popular ones among the non-total-conversion ones are New Ship Classes, Gigastructural Engineering, and More Events.

Can't speak to their quality or ability to integrate into the feel of the game though.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2018-10-30 at 01:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ettin in the Playground

I think that "48 Empire Colors Revival" is Ironman-compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

My god, how did I not know about these guys before? This is great!

My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

28. - Top - End - #1348

They just showed up in my feed too. THey are pretty great.

29. - Top - End - #1349

Oh man, they do video now? I'm here for this!
    Oh my god the voice acting is actually exquisite.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2018-11-17 at 02:06 PM.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

That is pretty impressive. :)