New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1097 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Or a Greyview smilie? I'd use that one with some frequency.
    Greyview and Blackwing do have smileys here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Stick-Smilies

You have to insert them as an image (instead of just clicking through the smiley menu), but they do exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    Greyview and Blackwing do have smileys here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Stick-Smilies

You have to insert them as an image (instead of just clicking through the smiley menu), but they do exist.

Thanks!

"Yes! Good. Learning is happening."

(I've already made use of that thread, for my Sig etc., but your kindness towards those who may not have known deserved a shout out)
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Thanks!

"Yes! Good. Learning is happening."

(I've already made use of that thread, for my Sig etc., but your kindness towards those who may not have known deserved a shout out)
    Yeah, I wish that thread was stickied.

After getting a message from someone asking about the Greyview in my sig, I made the smiley into a link in the hopes it would help point people in the right direction. Not sure how many people would think to hover their mouse over an emoticon to see if it would go anywhere, but hopefully it's helped someone.
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Odin is, at best, playing a dangerous game.
    Dungeons & Dragons?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    It's a reference to Sleipnir, the eight-legged horse, Loki's son and Odin's mount (as well as nephew).
    I wouldn't say Sleipnir is Odin's nephew. Odin and Loki are not related, except as 'blood brothers'.

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by NothingButCake View Post
    "I see worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn."
    Indeed it was a nice hint.

Good strip and good development.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    Thanks.

Post smilie, get treats.

As to yarns within yarns, sounds like a story that a sailor in a story tell.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-09-12 at 09:08 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nmphuong91 View Post
    While this thread is going in the direction that "Odin sent Durkon to OotS to save the world", but...
    According to Tarquin, the rule of narration will make sure that the OotS will get a cleric, one way or another. So, even without Odin's prophecy, the OotS will get Dukela Silvershield/Veldrina/Hilgya instead. So, if Odin is all-knowing, isn't it's fine doing nothing? Like that Oracle, because the story will have a happy ending, so he doesn't really care about messing around with his prophecy.
    One of the themes of the last book is that Tarquin is wrong about the kind of story this is.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    One of the themes of the last book is that Tarquin is wrong about the kind of story this is.
    Indeed. Tropes do play a major part in how the OotSverse works - but they don't bend backwards for him, not like he thinks.

That being said, I do suppose his knowledge of them is indeed part of the reason why he's so dangerous in general.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #190

Tarquin is wrong that he is the primary antagonist and his son the primary protagonist. He isn't wrong that the Order won't go on to the next book without a healer, whether that be by resurrection or replacement.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    I've never heard this twist. All the retellings I've heard suggested that Loki stayed humanoid and gave birth while male, because divine pseudobiology.
    This raises so many questions for me. I am 90% certain that I don't want to hear the majority of those answers, because they would just raise more questions.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    He isn't wrong that the Order won't go on to the next book without a healer, whether that be by resurrection or replacement.
    At this stage, it's impossible for us to be certain about that--prophecy doesn't work as well in the real world as it does in stories.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Indeed. Tropes do play a major part in how the OotSverse works - but they don't bend backwards for him, not like he thinks.

That being said, I do suppose his knowledge of them is indeed part of the reason why he's so dangerous in general.
    Tarquin... him dying off-screen would be so frustrating and satisfying at the same time.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Tarquin... him dying off-screen would be so frustrating and satisfying at the same time.
    This could so easily happen. It would only take one panel to say that some scouting party from the resistance movement found him in the desert, that he received a quick trial and execution. It would of course imply other things that would be reveals but it could happen.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Giant: Belkar says "a criteria", which should be "a criterion" since it's singular.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    Giant: Belkar says "a criteria", which should be "a criterion" since it's singular.
    I feel like misuse of grammar would be perfectly in character for Belkar.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #197

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    ...doesn't sound like something Belkar would be aware of. An in-character error, if you will.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Prophecies working isn't my worry - it's them being misinterpreted or overlooking gaps that I think makes Odin's game dangerous.

Tiamat is a perfect example - her own oracle gave V the prophecy that led to incalculable numbers of her children being murdered. She seemed to be pretty angered/blindsided by that event despite her own follower predicting all the events that led up to it. In short, she "saw it coming" in such a way that she did not at all see it coming. Odin is probably smarter, but Tiamat's oracle was pretty smart too. What might they be missing?
    Agency? What makes you think the gods have direct control over what prophecies get told? If anything, I'd say that the two prophecies we're discussing are direct evidence against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Runeclaw View Post
    I wouldn't say Sleipnir is Odin's nephew. Odin and Loki are not related, except as 'blood brothers'.
    ...Wouldn't that make Sleipnir Odin's "blood-nephew"?

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    This raises so many questions for me. I am 90% certain that I don't want to hear the majority of those answers, because they would just raise more questions.
    It's a myth about a god turning into a mare to seduce a super-horse to the god's buddies don't have to pay the super-horse's owner the price they promised to pay if he did the work he did. What do you expect?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

19. - Top - End - #199

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    This could so easily happen. It would only take one panel to say that some scouting party from the resistance movement found him in the desert, that he received a quick trial and execution. It would of course imply other things that would be reveals but it could happen.
    Maybe if he wanders out on his own again since Laurin already sent him home.

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Maybe if he wanders out on his own again since Laurin already sent him home.
    D'oh. I just failed the OOTS trivia quiz.

21. - Top - End - #201

Lizardfolk

Tarquin is wrong that he is the primary antagonist and his son the primary protagonist. He isn't wrong that the Order won't go on to the next book without a healer, whether that be by resurrection or replacement.
    If this was a write-up of a D&D campaign, then yes. However, it's plausible that the Order will go into the Xykon fight without one. How will that work? Guessing they'll just have to fight smarter.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

They HAVE a healer. His name's Elan. He's not nearly as good at it as Durkon was, but he's what they've got. And hey, he can give buffs and do pun-duels too. So that's fun.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

23. - Top - End - #203

Man, a new comic posted and I had no idea people were still talking about something I said in the previous comic's reaction thread. (Specifically, disagreeing.)

Suffice it to say, I believe it's safe to say that the Order won't go into their climactic fight without either a resurrected Durkon or an exciting new member with a similar level of divine-casting ability.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

24. - Top - End - #204

BlackDragon

And I think that's because you're seeing this like a D&D campaign rather than a story. Stories don't need to have tank, healer and DPS.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    And I think that's because you're seeing this like a D&D campaign rather than a story. Stories don't need to have tank, healer and DPS.
    No, I'm seeing this as a story, specifically a story where narrative devices and tropes are acknowledged as a powerful force [I]within[/¡] the story. Tarquin was right about that part.

I don't even know what "DPS" even stands for, but I know that in a team adventure, if one of the core team falls away, they either come back, or they are replaced by a new character who fills their role.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm thinking along the lines of "Will they have the luxury of giving Xykon/HPoH extra time to do Gate stuff if a viably-leveled divine caster isn't readily available," myself.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

27. - Top - End - #207

I don't even know what "DPS" even stands for, but I know that in a team adventure, if one of the core team falls away, they either come back, or they are replaced by a new character who fills their role.
    It stands for "damage per second." Annoying people in morepigs (Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games) use it instead of "damage" even in cases where it makes no sense to care about damage per second, as such.

Rich is not going to introduce a new member of the Order for the seventh book out of seven, or even for part of the sixth and all of the seventh. Healer or otherwise.

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

Rich is not going to introduce a new member of the Order for the seventh book out of seven, or even for part of the sixth and all of the seventh. Healer or otherwise.
    I'd be surprised: a resurrection or a kinda-still-a-vamp-but-Durkon's-soul-is-in-charge-now kind of thing seem more likely.

But the Order going into the climax shorthanded, I would find that far more surprising.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    It stands for "damage per second." Annoying people in morepigs (Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games) use it instead of "damage" even in cases where it makes no sense to care about damage per second, as such.
    I'd argue that the difference between raw damage and DPS (or damage-per-turn, or damage-per-round, or whatever nomenclature you prefer) is relevant. Being able to cast fireball once a minute versus magic missile as a move action is pretty significant; fireball deals more damage, but if you can cast magic missile 20 times as often, it's usually going to be more useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.