New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords [IC]

Sechrin

Jeando: "Intruders...shall the rest of us stay here, sir Sechrin?"

Sechrin nods. "For the moment. Alan and I will get some idea what's involved. We'll be back shortly."

Trez: "Oh wonderful, some people might find us and tell us how to get out of here. I doubt that they're all acting funny as well, don't you? I should call out to them so they can find us faster and help us out."

"No, Trez. I'm hoping to avoid any surprises. I don't know how widespread the problem is, but nearly everyone I've encountered today, has been acting strangely. Friendly or official one moment, and aggressive the next. It's best to be cautious to avoid harming them or them harming us. I'm sure you understand."

He turns to Alan, nodding as the man begins down the right-hand corridor. Sechrin, likewise, moves directly ahead, falling into a stealthy stance as soon as sufficient shadow is found.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving ahead at the usual half-speed (15') pace while attempting to hide/move silently, keeping ears out, and stopping the moment I see either people or a moving/shaking/bobbing light source, reflection or otherwise.

Hide - (1d20+11)[17](28)
    MSil - (1d20+11)[17](28)
    Listen - (1d20+11)[20](31)
    Spot - (1d20+3)[3](6)

-edit note- With such a high listen check, if there is any talking to be heard, and I can understand the language, I might be able to make out the words, depending on the distance modifier involved.

Also, a reminder that passing near a secret door gains me a free search check: Search - (1d20+14)[14](28).
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-09-20 at 02:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122

Meanwhile the 'lets-occupy-Trez-and-make-him-think-we-are-friends-game' begins...

Speaking quietly so that voice doesn't carry, "So, here is my copper for the bank. All that want to join, have to match it, then we roll"
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Passing out one six-sided die to each player, Trez begins to elaborate. "Ok, here's the full rules. Everyone playing places a copper down and makes one roll of their die after the house (that's me) rolls his. Anyone who doesn't meet or beat my roll loses their ante. Everyone else can either take their ante and leave the game even, or add another piece to stay in another round. Then we roll again. This time, if you meet or beat the house roll, you can either collect your full stake (2 pieces of copper in this case, giving you 4 total), or add another piece and hope to walk away with 6 the next round. This goes on until everyone's happy, broke or a fight breaks out. Usually the last one. Ready?" asks Trez as he rolls his house die.

(1d6)[4]

"Oooh, even chance. Great starting odds."
    Last edited by Xian; 2007-09-20 at 12:21 PM.
    Meh, I have nothing clever to say here.

4. - Top - End - #124

place 1 copper, roll (1d6)[4]

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Drops his copper (and winces at the clink) (1d6)[4]

"Aw, surely fights aren't that common. I mean, we're all civizlized here, right? Who would fight over a handful of coppers?"

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alan moves down the corridor, silent as the shadows he hides in, and noticing a lever in the wall almost immediately beyond the archway from the intersection. As he goes along, the sounds get louder, and they are indeed voices of some of the inhabitants. They sound as if they are in discussion, but are a little too far and muddled to be understood. They don't seem to be moving any closer, at least for the moment, and the tones of voices sound somewhat relaxed.

Sechrin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sechrin's stealth would allow him to sneak up on a roomful of high-strung cats as he moves deftly and silently from one shadow to the next. The sounds grow louder as he progresses, and they are indeed voices of some of the inhabitants of the establishment. Though still distant, they seem to be slowly moving closer, and Sechrin can make out some bits of the conversations.
    "....can't believe that. A lizard? Come on, that's just absurd."
    "Sergeant said to be on the look out for it, and it's not like we haven't seen stranger before."
    "Yeah, but still it sounds like someone munched on some bad mushrooms."
    ---
    "Aww, sit on it; you're carrying the torch 'cuz you're a klutz."
    "I already told you, I'm sorry about dinner. The chicken grease made my hands slippery, and that wound will heal in no time. Besides, the eye patch makes you look rather dashing."
    *BAP* "Smartass."
    ---
    "So I learned this new Invocation the other day, and look!"
    "Wow, and you can do that all day, right?"
    "Yeah, I think so, though I'm still getting the hang of movement; it's not quite like walking."
    "I'll admit, I'm jealous; I usually need a scroll or my book to do something like that."

"You'd be surprised," says Trez to Rashnik. "Some people really hate losing money and they'd even fight someone like you if they thought you were cheating...or just didn't want to have to pay up."
    Last edited by Xian; 2007-09-21 at 11:28 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mathias

Mathias quietly adds a copper and rolls a die to join in.

(1d6)[6]

((Stick_Ninja's having some conflict issues with school eating up most of his free time, so at his request, I'm NPC-ing Mathias for a while, and as I really don't want to have to kill off a character for something like this, hopefully he'll be able to pick him back up once he gets into a routine and can find time to post again.))

8. - Top - End - #128

Sechrin

For Xian and Non-Player Readers
    Spoiler
    Show
    The still distant sounds of conversation cause Sechrin to freeze in place in that shadowy in-between created by the widely-spaced torches.

One snippet revealed that at least one of the speakers was bearing a torch, and so he waits until he sees the telltale sign of its wavering leading edge as it reflects from the stone walls. His ears continue to strain to decipher the mix of words.

Listen - (1d20+11)[17](28)
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-09-21 at 02:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

Spoiler
    Show
    Alan is intrigued by the switch, attempting to find out what it triggers (if there are any visual clues)
    Search - (1d20+3)[8]
    Spot - (1d20+6)[25]

As the sound of voices reaches his ears, Alan becomes more apprehensive. He cautiously moves forward along the wall, leaving the switch behind, until he can make out what they are saying.

Listen - (1d20+6)[26]

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's difficult to tell what the lever would do when pulled as there are no visible mechanical clues to its purpose; all of its mechanisms are hidden within the stone walls.

As Alan works his way closer and closer, he reaches a bend in the hallway. Peeking around the corner, a contingent of about 8 humans can be seen, both men and women. They have congregated at the one spot and don't appear to be moving for the moment. Hiding back around the corner, Alan can make out some bits of conversation.
    "So Sgt. Vanel is thinking of mobilizing the whole aerie? That's a lot of trouble for a few intruders, don't you think?"
    "I do, but word is they caused a lot of damage and trouble for the boss. A LOT of trouble. And now they've gone and killed some more guards, so everyone wants 'em gone. Maybe that priest'll have a use for 'em."
    "Ugh, he creeps me out."
    ---
    "Whadda ya mean I lost?! You're a bleedin' cheat, you are!"
    "Calm down and look at your hand again. You could have won, but you threw away the tiles you needed trying to go for a fancier set instead of just trying to win. Your ego made you lose, so sit down. Call me a cheat again and I'll take your other ear."
    *Grumble*
    "Hey, knock it off over there! You're on duty, so at least act like it!"
    ---
    "Ugh, soldiers, always thinking with their man-meats instead of their brains."
    "Even the women?"
    "Haw! Especially the women."

Sechrin:
    Spoiler
    Show

As the group slowly gets closer, the chatter continues. Nothing terribly more informative is revealed, but they are clearly aware of the group of intruders and are deliberately hunting them down. The amount of footfalls and distinct voices suggest a size of roughly ten humanoids, though it's difficult to be absolutely certain without performing a headcount, a measure that, given their closing distance, would be a risky move. Before long, the light patterns of a moving torch begin to make themselves known. Accompanying it is an odd musky smell, something vaguely suggestive of livestock.

"Wonderful rolls! Everyone stays in, so that means you can either withdraw now and keep your copper, or put in another copper and hope to double your entry. Ready?"

(1d6)[2]

11. - Top - End - #131

Sechrin

Sechrin sniffs the air, his nose wrinkling and an eyebrow raising at the result. The shifting light becomes apparent, cuing him to turn away and skulk back toward the intersection where he'd left his companions. He only vaguely wonders what discoveries Alan's made, knowing his own were problem enough.

So as not to startle the group that had begun playing a game, of all things, Sechrin announces his presence just before he reappears from the shadows.

"We have trouble ahead, as expected. I gauge six to ten men, at least one of which I suspect to be a caster. Also, I noted an odd odor that brings to mind a ox or bull or something of that nature. I figure they're about <pending> paces down the hall, right about now," he says in a quiet voice.

He adds, for Trez' sake, "Their conversations tell me without doubt that they are afflicted. One told another how much he enjoyed disemboweling some woman he'd come across in the hall earlier that day," He regards Trez directly. "Trez...does the odor of a beast of burden or something similar mean anything to you? Quickly, and keep your voice low."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

MSil - (1d20+11)[7](18)
    Hide - (1d20+11)[4](15)

If either of these rolls create a problem or special circumstance, I'll edit in something to deal with it.

About how far away would I gauge the enemy to be by the time I make it back to the others, considering half-speed for hiding? For anyone who cares, I'm going to set myself a precedent and consider a "pace" to be roughly 35-40 inches, or about 1 meter/yard. "Paces" are so much more atmospheric than "feet," eh? :)
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-09-22 at 02:16 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132

Aerhalyss

Awaiting the scouts return the group of players is crouching around a cleaned floor tile. With visible joy sparkling in her eyes Aerhalyss adds another copper and rolls the dice happily once again, "I stay in the game" (1d6)[6]

When Sechrin arrives, she looks up at her fellow elf and picks up the dice quickly, handing them back to their owner "Sorry Trez, let's continue this later, the game is frozen until the next rest"

She looks down the right corridor where Alan went, saying "We shouldn't be separated in this maze, if Alan doesn't appear soon, we must follow him"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

Leaned back against the wall, Alan's mind starts racing. I seem to have found a contingent of guards. And some others? Hmm... too many for me alone... the group will probably want to avoid this area... I wonder what Sechrin came up with, hopefully a safer route.. and at once, Alright, I doubt I'll get any more helpful information than that. Back to the group...

He stalks back down the hallway, looking behind him every few feet, and relates his findings when he returns to the group.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Rashnik

"Ugh. Those casters can do a lot of damage. I'd suggest we try knocking the spell caster out before the guy goes on a killing rampage, but I'd hate for the other guards to come in behind us. Perhaps we should go left."

The lizardman also tosses in another copper in. (1d6)[3]
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2007-09-22 at 04:52 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tristan

News of nearby guardsman brings Tristan out of his calm maintenance. With a firm nod, he clicks his pale faceplate back into position.

If he can hear the slavers getting closer, Tristan will intone a few old sounding words and lift his shield above him.

Spoiler
    Show

If these slavers get close, Tristan casts Bless and then moves to block. Of course, if we run, he takes rear guard and will make sure to position himself between any oncoming attacks and party members if possible. Except for Trez.
    Last edited by Godhand; 2007-09-23 at 12:34 AM.
    "Yes, I am shaking in my omnipotent boots at their new outfits. I am helpless against the powers of fashion."

16. - Top - End - #136

Sechrin

Upon hearing Alan's report, Sechrin nods gravely. "Yes, it appears they will be crossing paths right at this point. They'll likely continue in their respective directions, but we certainly don't want to be in their sight when they come together. I suggest we either commit to heading left in hopes of finding a place to hide while Alan's group passes by, or double back to an area we have some passing familiarity with and confront them there, hoping nothing else has shown up while we've been walking."

He turns to Alan and fills him in on his own report so all would be aware of the same, then he asks him, "You didn't happen to catch any indication of animals that might have been with that group? I'm concerned that even if we try to hide, we may be sniffed out if they are accompanied by dogs or some other creature able to scent. As I said, I seemed to get the impression of some kind of bovine, which might normally seem safe to ignore, but I worry if that odor indicates something less innocuous."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still kinda waiting on Trez to interject on the topic of the bovine smell I asked him about. That might clear up some of the haze.

Xian - I'd like a guesstimate as to how long it will be before the two groups come into view of the intersection (I've assumed they will probably show up at about the same time--correct me if that's wrong). Also, how far down did Alan and I go before we stopped? I presume there were no cross corridors within that distance?

17. - Top - End - #137

Aerhalyss

"What about if we take the right path to talk to those guys there. Trez could meet the group coming from front and tell them that he guards this crossing and he didn't see us coming this way. This would spare a lot of bloodshed that the poisoned funny in the mind people would cause otherwise."

She switches her speech to elvish and addresses Sechrin "Do you think you can trusthim that far? We can take on the unprepared guards to the right. Divide and conquer before they can merge"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Hmm, an ox smell? That's probably Brunk, or maybe Krawner. Could be both. They're minotaurs, so they've got that weird musky smell. Or maybe they're half; I don't quite remember. Heh, can you imagine that wedding night? 'Specially if the man was the human? Wow. Either way, don't call neither of 'em a cow; they're not too bright, but they take offense to that."

OOC:
    ((VE, your group is approximately 5 rounds, or 30 seconds away. JE, once yours mobilizes they're about 7 rounds, or 45 seconds away. I'm putting the rounds in so that, if you decide to engage one of the parties, you'll have a rough idea of how long before reinforcements arrive. As for the dice game, Trez has pretty much packed up the pieces, putting it on hold per Aerhalyss' suggestion...particularly since he'd be out some coppers!))

19. - Top - End - #139

Sechrin

At the mention of minotaurs, Sechrin looks significantly more concerned than before.

"That's not good news, Trez. If these patrols are afflicted, it might include the minotaurs. They're aggressive enough as it is, from what I've heard."

Scanning the various faces, and in one case, a visor, Sechrin shrugs faintly and says, "We have neither time, nor many options. We either engage one group and hope it is not afflicted so that we may join it, or we take the left path or doubleback and hope we don't run into any others that are afflicted. If that happens, even if we are set upon by one group, the other will be far enough away as to not be able to aid them quickly, if they hear anything at all." Hoping the others still remember that certain words and claims are for the charmed guard's benefit, he continues.

"In any case, we need to make a decision quickly. On short reckoning, I'd think doubling back would be best. We know the layout, and...wait..."

He turns to Trez and asks, "How many patrols are typical in this area, and the area we were at earlier? Do the ones on the way continue that far?"

Sechrin can almost be seen to be counting the passing seconds in his head.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Usually it's less than one for a given area, so there's some blind spots, but since they're on high alert looking for you guys I'd say there's some overlap with two or even three patrols crossing paths in some areas. The ones back there where I met you might not make it this far, unless they already knew where you were or went."

21. - Top - End - #141

Sechrin

With a nod to Trez, Sechrin reiterates the options, adding, "It seems, as long as these other two patrols are not expected to travel as far back as we were earlier, we should be able to doubleback and avoid them entirely. Otherwise, we should engage one, hope for the best and deal with the consequences. However, as much as I dislike having to hide away, two such patrols will be more than we'll want to handle, and if they're both afflicted, within moments of engaging one, we'll be set upon by the other. We have no advantages here. But if the one ahead comes far enough back to where we were before, we can deal with them as necessary, but without so much concern about the second group. I find the decision easy to make, but I don't speak for you all. Quickly, though."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for dragging this out, but I don't want to see a TPK. We're looking at two rather sizable parties in fairly close proximity. Running away and/or hiding is just another useful tactic to keep your heart beating a little longer.

22. - Top - End - #142

"One of the groups is stationary, the other is moving. I agree that we should avoid the group that is searching for us actively, we can always come back later and there won't be so many guards around. However, I'd like to point out that we are not getting anywhere just by running around, we must start solving problems soon"

23. - Top - End - #143

Sechrin

Sechrin scratches his head, and paces a few times before saying, "Then perhaps our best option would be to confront them directly. Trez and I, and perhaps Aerhalyss and Mathias can remain out of sight just around this intersection's corners. If the patrol is afflicated, as I'm going to guess they are, they won't recognize the others as friends, but as enemies and either attack immediately or threaten them, and then attack no matter what they do. If that occurs, those of us around the corner can come into the intersection to help our comrades."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I see I was missing some info, as I didn't read Alan's spoiler up above. I was under the impression his group was also on active patrol. That changes things.

I'm still phrasing and arranging things so as to minimize Trez' ability to question the situation, thus the hiding around the corner bit. It's not a bad setup, anyway. Unfortunately, this rules don't offer a layered "surprise" attack option.

24. - Top - End - #144

"Let's drop back a little further and find a place behind a curve or bend in the tunnel, if the patrol follows us, at least they won't see us directly and we will be hopefully outside the hearing range of the stationary group. If they go left, then even better for us, we can simply come back"

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

I'm all for a good scrap, especially when someone has it coming to them...but I'd rather it be on our terms. This is a tenuous position, especially with two patrols bearing down...on us. I say back up the corridor, away from here. There were less guards the other way...from what I could tell.

But whatever we do, we need to move now. The patrol I located may not have been on the move...but they're not far from here.

As he says this, one might interpret Alan as aloof, as he is gaze alternates between each of the hallways, but rarely turns to his audience. He pauses in places, as if stopping to see if he heard something (ooc: that's what the ellipses are supposed to represent). He seems edgy, and more than once while he's talking, his right hand moves instinctively to the hilt of one of his prized blades, then relaxes again.

Someone make the call.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tristan

"We fall back. No need to kill everything."

From his tone, Tristan wants to plant himself and fight, but two groups with minotaurs? That's pushing even his limits. With another hollow sigh, the knight waits for others to agree or disagree, and heads down the hallway away from guards if they do.
    "Yes, I am shaking in my omnipotent boots at their new outfits. I am helpless against the powers of fashion."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Rashnik

I'd rather not stay at the intersection so close to both groups. If they both are hostile, we could be in-trouble. Let's back up so we only have to worry about one. Come on!

The lizardman then starts to move off.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

If there are bends or side passages the way they came, the lizardman will lead the way back until they are at least 400 ft (10rounds for encumbered hustling creatures) from the intersection and at a corner/side passage that would give everyone concealment or cover to surprise the guards from.

If the way they came is too straight and smooth to break line of sight from the intersection within 3 rounds of movement, Rashnik will instead suggest going left, again for at least 400 ft.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148

Aerhalyss

The elf nods in total agreement with Rashnik and starts off in the same direction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    like Psionic Dog: back to a bend if we passed such on a way to this crossing or if it is one straight road, then left instead.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC:
    ((There are substantial bends in the back passageway, including a z-shaped section approximately 120-150 feet back. The party would make it around the first sharp angle right before the moving patrol enters the intersection. Also, just a minor clarification that shouldn't have affected anything just yet, the intersection is essentially a large room, about 30x30, with the hallways branching off the four walls. There would be enough room for two groups to engage in combat feeling somewhat cramped, while all three would be quite the cluster.))

30. - Top - End - #150

Aerhalyss

Hurries to get behind the Z in time. Once there, she will start listening to find out what the patrol does.
    Spoiler
    Show
    listen: (1d20+5)[12]