New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Erfworld on the TV Tropes Wiki

I haven't been around here as much lately because I've become obsessed with the TV Tropes Wiki. I thought that you might be interested to know that Erfworld has become the canonical example of More Than Mind Control. Okay, so I was the one to put the picture there, but I only did that because someone else pulled the quote from the Erfworld example to be the page quote, and I figured that the panel itself would work perfectly.

It's also mentioned under Les Yay, Notable Webcomics (a sort of inside joke), Remix Comic and Role Playing Game Verse. I only added half of those, so it's not just me.

Update: I added it to The Dragon and MacGuffin.
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-08-14 at 01:14 AM.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld on the TV Tropes Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Scientivore View Post
    I haven't been around here as much lately because I've become obsessed with the TV Tropes Wiki.
    Oh, that reminds me - I've been meaning to lay a hideous curse upon you for posting a link to TV Tropes here a week or so ago. Do you have any idea how many hours I've sunk browsing that site since then?! It's worse than Wikipedia! >_<

*sigh* I guess I can't say I wasn't warned...

Note for the humor-impaired: "Lay a hideous curse upon" ==> "thank". That is all.
    "We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is
    whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct."

............- Niels Bohr, co-founder of quantum theory

3. - Top - End - #3
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zillion ninjas View Post
    Oh, that reminds me - I've been meaning to lay a hideous curse upon you for posting a link to TV Tropes here a week or so ago. Do you have any idea how many hours I've sunk browsing that site since then?! It's worse than Wikipedia! >_<

*sigh* I guess I can't say I wasn't warned...

Note for the humor-impaired: "Lay a hideous curse upon" ==> "thank". That is all.
    Indeed. I need to do something along those lines, but I haven't had any time lately for some reason....

4. - Top - End - #4

I remember certain folk telling me that saying Erfworld contained tropes was stupid and blasphemous. Huh.

I'll have to look through that site; it sounds pretty interesting.
    Glorious Chaiman Kaga avatar by the impeccable Kalirush!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Scientivore is a prostitrope
    Exploding nuns, just what everyone needs...
    Never were truer words spoken ThorFluff

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zillion ninjas View Post
    Oh, that reminds me - I've been meaning to lay a hideous curse upon you for posting a link to TV Tropes here a week or so ago. Do you have any idea how many hours I've sunk browsing that site since then?! It's worse than Wikipedia
    Seconded hard. My time, it has spiraled down the drain of compulsiveness. I love how big a fan of OOTS the site appears to be...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arameus View Post
    I remember certain folk telling me that saying Erfworld contained tropes was stupid and blasphemous. Huh.
    Huh indeed. I'll quote the same site:
    These therefore usually come from the people who don't know the meaning of the word "trope". The whole point of tropes is that they work; that's why they're used so much. Use of tropes isn't a bad thing, so there's no reason to defend your favorite show by justifying its tropes.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...JustifyingEdit
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Strengfellow View Post
    Scientivore is a prostitrope
    Nono, I'm an entry pimp. I approve of your use of a portmanteau though, as I've contributed to that entry (and invented the term "portmantrope" for a portmanteau trope name).
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Nono, I'm an entry pimp.
    No, I think you're more like a "trope dealer". The first [page] hit is free, but that's followed by an inevitable archive binge. After that, it's a downhill slide into mushroom sambas and epileptic trees. And maybe some all-blue -brown posts, too.

If I ever kick this habit, I'll probably learn an important life lesson. Or not.
    "We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is
    whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct."

............- Niels Bohr, co-founder of quantum theory

10. - Top - End - #10
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

I've gotten drawn in to the point of adding a few examples, including the obvious Erfworld one for BFS (Big, er, Fragging Sword).

Fortunately, running computer searches serves the same workday function as compiling.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-08-15 at 04:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Huh indeed. I'll quote the same site:
    These therefore usually come from the people who don't know the meaning of the word "trope". The whole point of tropes is that they work; that's why they're used so much. Use of tropes isn't a bad thing, so there's no reason to defend your favorite show by justifying its tropes.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...JustifyingEdit
    That's what I've said a million times. That damned submarine has a slim-to-none chance to get away because it's boring for it not to get sunk.
    Glorious Chaiman Kaga avatar by the impeccable Kalirush!

12. - Top - End - #12

What's the TV trope for he's a good guy but we don't like him so he has to be sacrificed so we can all feel guilty?

And what's the TV trope for we like her and want her to be the hero but she's conflicted and can't see the real deal until the good guy gets sacrificed and then we feel bad about her so she can get redeemed?

13. - Top - End - #13

Must...resist...urge...to...visit...addictive website...

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by ag30476 View Post
    What's the TV trope for he's a good guy but we don't like him so he has to be sacrificed so we can all feel guilty?
    Ansom is a Knight in Shining Armor, the Captain and the Ace, with a MacGuffin that is also an unattuned empathic weapon. It's being the Ace that makes us not like him, and I suspect that his romantic blindness to Jillian's troubling behavior will be tragic for him.

And what's the TV trope for we like her and want her to be the hero but she's conflicted and can't see the real deal until the good guy gets sacrificed and then we feel bad about her so she can get redeemed?
    Jillian is simultaneously the Toblerone, a Troubled But Cute Tsundere Jerk With a Heart of Gold, and a Hot Amazon Rebellious Princess Action Girl with a BFS. Oh, and she's a Distressed Damsel under More Than Mind Control by the Dragon of the color-coded Big Bad.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Ansom is a Knight in Shining Armor, the Captain and the Ace, with a MacGuffin that is also an unattuned empathic weapon. It's being the Ace that makes us not like him, and I suspect that his romantic blindness to Jillian's troubling behavior will be tragic for him.
    Awesome! Thanks!

Even better! Good work on More Than Mind Control. And Toblerone is my favorite chocolate bar ever since I was a kid!

16. - Top - End - #16

Good work on More Than Mind Control.
    Thank you, but all I did there was add an example and a pic. Out of the entries that I've seeded, the one that I'm really proud of is Meta Trope Intro. I originally wrote the seed for that one to wrap my own head around the trope tropes, and I expect that other people will find it similarly useful.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Thank you, but all I did there was add an example and a pic. Out of the entries that I've seeded, the one that I'm really proud of is Meta Trope Intro. I originally wrote the seed for that one to wrap my own head around the trope tropes, and I expect that other people will find it similarly useful.
    Everytime you seed a trope in wiki a butt monkey hangs a lampshade.

Nice work on the "meta" tropes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

I will now remember that the more a butler glows, the most likely he is to have done it.

It'll be useful in my crimefighting career.

Although, if they glow after doing it, maybe it should be called an afterglow?
    Last edited by Gez; 2007-08-21 at 03:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

The warm glow of a job well done. The brooding resentment of a subservient underling, endlessly festering, then bursting out in an orgy of violence - the classic motive!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dear GOD it's worse than crack.

I started reading Meta Trope Intro and the next thing I know an hour has passed and I'm now au fait with Mr Exposition,The Rick, Sarah Janes, Hanging Lampshades and a raft of other things.

I'm off to get a cup of tea and a packet of biscuits, and then I'm going to surrender myself to the interwub.
    Exploding nuns, just what everyone needs...
    Never were truer words spoken ThorFluff

21. - Top - End - #21

Heh...I see what happened there, someone added some excellent new examples based on "the butler did it" without changing the intro. Okay, it's a little more coherent again now.
    Spoiler
    Show