New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th edition!

1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: 4th edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Lorelei View Post
    Well, it makes sense. I mean, why would you release a Rules Compendium if you weren't about done publishing rules?

I'm also sure they intend to keep supporting 3.5, possibly even releasing books.
    A Compendium of Rules that are about to become obsolete?

This leads me to believe that either A: 4th Ed is going to be pretty compatible with 3.5, or B: More likely, they're trying to milk as much money as they can out of 3.5 before dropping it like a turd and beginning to crank out new 4th edition products.

By the way, I accidentally discovered that if you hold down the Shift key, 4th edition becomes $TH EDITION. Coincidence? You decide!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
    A Compendium of Rules that are about to become obsolete?
    Yes. It's a valuable resource for people who, oh, decide that a new edition is just an eeeeeevil ploy to make money and stick with the old one.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    On the other hand, I really don't want to shell out 90 bucks for three more rulebooks.
    You don't need to do that; the 1st edition books can be got for a lot less on eBay.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    You don't need to do that; the 1st edition books can be got for a lot less on eBay.
    Edit: that was a little blunt.
    So I'll just say that anyone who has ever considered 1st edition could already have it. They've even likely tried it and decided they didn't like it. It's pretty obvious that someone remotely interested in 4E won't be interested in 1st ed.
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2007-08-16 at 04:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yes. It's a valuable resource for people who, oh, decide that a new edition is just an eeeeeevil ploy to make money and stick with the old one.
    Good point.

But I considered the Rules Compendium to be a somewhat less eeevil ploy to make money. And I didn't like the idea of paying for errata, which is exactly what the Rules Compendium 4th Edition is going to be.

Okay, just kidding on that last one. That was a cheap shot.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaerou View Post
    As long as they make Kobolds a PC race i'll be happy. >_>
    Ehhhh...I think that already exists :P
    I just love the barbarian way

7. - Top - End - #157
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
    Good point.

But I considered the Rules Compendium to be a somewhat less eeevil ploy to make money. And I didn't like the idea of paying for errata, which is exactly what the Rules Compendium 4th Edition is going to be.

Okay, just kidding on that last one. That was a cheap shot.
    From what I've heard, the Rules Compendium contains either no or very little errata.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

From what I've heard, the Rules Compendium contains either no or very little errata.
    Quiet, you!

You're stifling my hissy fit!

...Okay, if what you're saying is accurate, the Rules Compendium now rates a 3 out of 10 on the evil scale, and a 7 out of 10 on my "Personally Useless" scale.
    Last edited by Overlord; 2007-08-16 at 04:20 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

*shrug*

Gencon, which starts Thursday, is four days long. Wizards of the Coast is a co-sponser of said con. Coincedence? You decide!

My guess is that it's a countdown to Gencon. Course, I could be horribly wrong about that, and it really is 4th ed. In which case I shall cry.
    Isn't this just the sort of thing Wizards would do to promote that?
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2007-08-16 at 04:36 AM.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

10. - Top - End - #160
    Banned

Edit: that was a little blunt.
    So I'll just say that anyone who has ever considered 1st edition could already have it. They've even likely tried it and decided they didn't like it. It's pretty obvious that someone remotely interested in 4E won't be interested in 1st ed.
    I have to admit that I only posted that because I knew you would see it. I'm a bad man ()

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    *shrug*

Gencon, which starts Thursday, is four days long. Wizards of the Coast is a co-sponser of said con. Coincedence? You decide!

My guess is that it's a countdown to Gencon. Course, I could be horribly wrong about that, and it really is 4th ed. In which case I shall cry.
    Isn't this just the sort of thing Wizards would do to promote that?
    It would be a bad business move to promote it without saying it's gencon _ being that Thursday is today. GenCon is something one normally plans for, and 'announcing it' (even though so many people already know of it) in such a way, especially since the announcement happens for a long period of time afterwards, is quite silly.
    Also, GenCon isn't just D&D for wizards - there is magic (their main money raking engine - though i still love it) - and the magic page doesn't have this stop sign of a countdown on it. If it was wizards counting towards it - I would imagine it would be on their whole website - not just D&D.

Finally, there's the forums that was up for only a short minute showing topic discussions of 4th edition, that was quickly closed. Official, WotC forums. That still exist. (You can tell because you can't access them - not a missing page, no, you just can't access the page that is there).

*pats your back* it'll be ok... *hands handkerchief*
    Last edited by Reinboom; 2007-08-16 at 04:55 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, I just read that topic as well. Looks like it really may be 4e! Oh how I have waited for this day... apparently they're bringing back Kits...
    Quote Originally Posted by horseboy View Post
    I wonder if this has anything to do with them loosing Dragonlance.
    eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Hilarious.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-08-16 at 05:09 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
    Finally, there's the forums that was up for only a short minute showing topic discussions of 4th edition, that was quickly closed. Official, WotC forums. That still exist. (You can tell because you can't access them - not a missing page, no, you just can't access the page that is there).
    Yep... In this post, there's a link to a screenshot.

Looks pretty real (if that was 'shopping, it was quick, besides, several people have seen the same... and the links work).

Cheers, LT.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't know how legit this is, but I found this link.

And to all those that are saying that 4E is going to be purely electronic, I'm sorry to bust your bubble, but in various places WotC employees have flat out said that print books will not go the way of the dodo for some time. I'll try and find the quotes after I sleep.
    Last edited by illathid; 2007-08-16 at 05:15 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

Heh, I enjoy the "Hallelujah!" and "Doomsday" Threads in that screenshot - they're actually giving people an official place to praise or whine.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight View Post
    Heh, I enjoy the "Hallelujah!" and "Doomsday" Threads in that screenshot - they're actually giving people an official place to praise or whine.
    Well, given the reactions before this event (we've seen it lately here as well - and it's been longer running in the wotc community forums), I would imagine it's more of WotC trying to prevent the two from flaming each other relentlessly.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kjones View Post
    Does anyone else here read Knights of the Dinner Table? A while ago, they did an arc about rushing a new edition out the door to boost flagging sales... along the lines of promising "33% more content" by bumping up the font size 22% and adding redundant sidebars and tables for the other 11%. The predictive powers of satire are astonishing...
    That was a comment on the 2e revision in 1995, this would just be history repeating itself. So, one year to go.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

I for one welcome our new masters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Whatever, Charity! You never even made the switch from 3.0 to 3.5!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

If it is the 4th edition then i think it will come out next year.

4e still uses miniatures

next year there will be a new starter set of miniatures with random + 4 standard figures.

Let me guess around then the 4e is coming out and there are only 4 main classes. fighter/cleric/mage/rogue????

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

The "streamlines parts...that are too complex" quote worries me somehow.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    As an enthusiastic 2E player, this news does not effect me in the least. Although I am vastly amused to know that in the near future, there will be such a thing as a '3E grognard.'
    There won't be, no matter how many kids declare themselves such on ENWorld. Even 2E is not fully and 100% grognard yet, 3E players will have to wait at least one more decade for the title of grognardry.

If ever.
    "I had thought - I had been told - that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants. The goodness is in the laughing. I grok it is a bravery... and a sharing... against pain and sorrow and defeat."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

the fact the PHB comes "packaged with pre-painted miniatures" according to that article hints that they will be making a definite move to miniature heavy combat, which is probably a bad sign for those hoping for more roleplay emphasis in the new edition but hardly surprising considering the popularity that miniature games are having at the moment.

however it looks like 4ed with its miniature focus will make online games more available through the wizards website that will let DMs Build adventures online for their players to play over the net.

i can definitely see how an emphasis on model combat will also "streamline parts of D&D that are too complex", like Combat and reach, flanking, tac-5 steps, etc.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    That worries me too.

My biggest concern is this May 2008 release date. I'm not sure whether or not to trust that. If it is, then I think we have a problem. WotC have, for months, answered every query about 4E with a denial that they were considering it. So either they were lying to their cutomer base (real smart) or they are planning on putting something out without mcuh play testing. I suspect, if true, they may have been 'stealth designing' using Saga and such as a base. However, even Saga's not been out very long, and I find it hard to believe they feel they've got enough feedback on that yet. So it may be that they have already decided (perhaps unofficially, so they could lie to us) to use some or all of Saga in 4th. (Which I personally I think is a big step back in a lot of respects, though Saga did have a few clever ideas). As Saga is simiplified a great deal, it leads me to beleive this even more.

Not to menton the pointlessness of the Rules Compendium. I suspect that will sell very few copies now, since many of the border-liners will probably not bother with it, or at least wait until they see what 4E is like.

On the other hand, it they are just announcing and preparing well in advance (12-24 months, say), to get a suitable amount of serious feedback (not idle speculation) then they are to be commended. If this is the case, then I shall look forward to 4E, confident they've thoguh enough about it. But, sadly, I very much doubt that.

And blocking the main D&D site was just childishly annoying.

Fortunately for me, I'll be up late enough to have a gander when it goes down, since it'll only be half-one when the timer expires.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2007-08-16 at 07:18 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

Seriously though I have two things I'd like to see in 4e:

1) NOT using Star Wars Saga Edition system like some people on WotC boards suggested - seriously it *sucked*

2) Some thing simmilar to (not necessarily identical) ToB maneuvers for fighter classes.
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am going to make a wild guess as an option not mentioned yet. What if this 4E does not make 3.5 dnd obsolete, but works besides it? perhaps its entirely digital, perhaps its even a special program for playing DnD online. (this going on on many forums, it would seem like a good market to explore for them) this of course is falls hope. But hope anyway.

Also, I have a faint feeling of dread, fear and expectation about this, strange, I will probably be awake to see what it is anyway
    Last edited by YPU; 2007-08-16 at 07:21 AM.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

27. - Top - End - #177
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's going to include collectible cards. I think they were already doing something like that for some classes and special abilities and stuff, but people just ignored the cards and played as if they had them.

It's going to suck... nobody will buy it... then they will can some people or pull out some expensive ingredient and repackage it as DND 3.9 Classic and sell all the books again.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malek View Post
    2) Some thing simmilar to (not necessarily identical) ToB maneuvers for fighter classes.
    you wont see those for fighters because fighters are supposed to be the easy learner class (and there really would not be space for maneuvers in a PBH already crowded with spells).

however i wouldn't mind a variation on Maneuvers for casters, throw away the old spells per day for a more spells per combat style that means wizards can go all day instead of being the deciding factor for when the party rests.
    Last edited by Jarlax; 2007-08-16 at 07:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

I've heard it's going to be closer to a 3.75 than a full blown 4.0, but I don't know how accurate that is.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Really? That's my number one desire for 4E. Right now, combat at any level higher than about 6 or 7 involves far, far too much time spent adding up modifiers, tracking durations, looking up spell effects, trying to remember which debuff affects which stats, calculating the effect of 5 points of Strength damage on a monster's secondary natural weapon, and hunting for that last +1 under the couch.

And the grapple rules need a major fix, too.
    Last edited by Dausuul; 2007-08-16 at 07:34 AM.