New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default All kobold party ideas

The DM has a campaign idea for a bunch of kobolds. Playing a kobold is a requirement and there are plenty of players who love the idea and want to play.

I'm probably going moon druid just because it sounds like the more obvious stuph will be taken. Plus I was thinking a lot of the party are probably going to be ranged and our pack tactics might actually work against us with everyone wanting someone else to get adjacent to the enemy. I figure a moon druid can at least be an off-tank (and just a plain tank at tier 1). I figure I can also summon things that can help folks get pack tactics. I can wild shape to switch off sunlight sensitivity as needed.

Other ideas that I could share with my party?
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: All kobold party ideas

That seems like a great choice, especially if you think your party is going to be made of predictable archetypes. I would suggest a Dragon Sorcerer, a Rogue of any stripe, a Dexterity based Fighter, and/or a lightly armored Cleric. Combined with your Moon Druid, for which you could play up the draconic nature of your beast shapes, you've got a full party of variety that are all conceivably from the same clan.
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Stranger in the Playground Retired Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Maybe an Artificer? Tools and weapons are more Rube Goldberg-esque devices based on rubber bands and unstable compounds than as formal machines.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

When I run All the Same Race games I get rid of specific racial stat modifiers. So instead of +2 Dex, -2 Str, it's +2, -2 in the stats of your choice. Might propose that, never had anyone dislike the option.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

as a moon druid kobold, ask the dm if you can add drakes/wyverns to the shape list

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The homebrew suggestions are great but this will be an AL game.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Warlock, Fighter, Paladin, Monk

all characters that can do multiple attacks for cause pact tactics

All can benefit from Dex, so Dex Fighter, and Dex Paladin. and Dex bladelock if warlock goes blade.

Have them all serve some big powerful dragon, who is the patron for the Warlock and God for the Paladin

if PoC or Tome lock always have the faimliar , pick a hard one to kill, give the help action to the fighter unless hes a ranged fighter, or the Monk so they can start with advantage to balance out the sunlight sensitivity , once either the monk or familiar is next to an enemy yall lose your disadvantge,

also always fight inside or at night. Sleep during the day, adventure when the stars are out, so your pact tactics always is working with out the disadvantage
    Last edited by SaA; 2017-10-27 at 03:05 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Hmm... let's run down the list...
    (Note: Some of these are PHB+1+Kobold, so it depends on how AL your AL game is.)

• Barbarian: Mostly a comedy concept, as Strength focus is difficult. Still, Dex-barbarians can be done (usually with MC support, so guess who's dropping a 15 in strength anyways?) Rage is for damage resistance and other riders.
    • Bard: Hells yes. Nobody will ever be as happy as a Kobold Bard playing a Lute. Valor makes you a decent Dex-melee. Lore makes you a bad insult comic. Cutting Words! Grovel! "You suck... don't hurt me!"
    • Cleric: War and Trickery are part of Kurt's bag, but what you really want is Light. Which is really Fire. Just like Momma T likes it.
    • Druid: You got it. Underground Land Druid also has thematic potential.
    • Fighter: DEX. I'd lean Battle Master for the sheer joy of pushing ogres around based on your Dexterity. Note that BM works as a ranged build.
    • Monk: Oh yes. Shadow Monk mixes well with your natural preference for dim and darkly (un)lit places. Remember, the teleport is about light levels, not visibility. Open hand is hilarious. 4E has its issues, and Sun Soul is... an odd choice, but you could respin either into Dragon Fist Adept.
    • Paladin: Sure, why not? Auras are nice... evokes a little Dragon Shaman. I'm partial to Ancients, though Vengeance is probably more in line with the Dirk Anger style.
    • Ranger: Dex Fighter con Queso. I lean Hunter (Giant Killer or Collossus Slayer at 3), but beastmaster can work here. 1) medium creatures are mounts for you, and 2) lets something else be in melee. Nobody said you had to be a nice Ranger. Suggested Favored Enemy: Humanoid: Gnome and Human or Dwarf, depending on the elevation of your game.
    • Rogue: Always. Thief makes you more wriggly, Swashbuckler is pure comedy gold+decent melee, Mastermind lets you pack tactics from a safe distance. Or Arcane Trickster. The last two can be worked as trapmasters with some fluffing.
    • Sorcerer: The world is your oyster here. Draconic is an obvious option, but Wild Magic feels right as well.
    • Warlock: A good fit. Fiend is probably the most natural fit (Fire, plus guess which five-headed draconic being resides in the Nine Hells and has a penchant for cultists?). But don't neglect the fun of the Great Old One. ("I summon tentacles!" "Gathrak, you can't solve every problem with tentacles..."). Any of the pacts will work.
    • Wizard: An odd choice, but doable. You have access to the most "dragons spew this element" spell options, and it comes with a ritual book. BUT, I'd be most inclined to play this as "creepy and wrong," with the Enchantment or Necromancy tradition. Yes, even moreso than Warlock. Work on your Peter Lorre.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.