New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: What are you playing right now?

I've fallen into a sports-and-third-person-shooter hole lately.

Super Mega Baseball 2, because I haven't finished my custom league yet, and beating up on teams named after my friends is fun.

Mario Golf Toadstool Tour is a relaxing way to kill time.

Splatoon 2 is still a delight and treat in single player, and is still one of my favorite multiplayer games.

Fortnite, because playing it on switch is pretty enjoyable and I can lounge about anywhere in my apartment playing it.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been enjoying playing Conan Exiles co op with the husband the last week or so. I keep accidentally hitting him with my daggers and bow though then bleeding or poisoning him. Oops

My holidays have started now so Im going to try to get back into and finish a few games I've started and never got around to completing, namely Persona 5, Breath of the Wild, Dragons Dogma and Bloodborne.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Huh. I think i saw them both heavily discounted, so I'll take that into consideration, thanks. What makes them better, though?
    Dragonfall has stellar writing, especially concerning the 4 companion NPCs. The game's structure and pacing of the narrative are also very well done.

I would even go as far as saying that Dragonfall could be used as a textbook example on how to construct a narrative in a story-based video game.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Dragonfall has stellar writing, especially concerning the 4 companion NPCs. The game's structure and pacing of the narrative are also very well done.

I would even go as far as saying that Dragonfall could be used as a textbook example on how to construct a narrative in a story-based video game.
    The entire series was pretty great... though I'd kind of like to see Returns redone with the UI improvements of DF/HK.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Banned

Yeah, the Shadowrun series really was excellent. It's hard to believe that the same company made the recent Battletech game. Not that it's a bad game, but it's not near the quality of the Shadowrun games to me.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was just lamenting to a friend that Shadowrun: Dragonfall is not held up as one of the greatest cRPGs of our time, which I truly think it is, especially compared to the dull tryhard fantasy drama of Torment: Fantasy Word Salad and Pillars of Redundancy.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ufo View Post
    I was just lamenting to a friend that Shadowrun: Dragonfall is not held up as one of the greatest cRPGs of our time, which I truly think it is, especially compared to the dull tryhard fantasy drama of Torment: Fantasy Word Salad and Pillars of Redundancy.
    For reasons I do not pretend to grasp, a lot of people really like Obsidian games. The only title they've developed that I've ever finished was Alpha Protocol, which was at least interesting, if deeply flawed in any number of ways. I found Pillars to be an excellent boredom simulator; the writing was both tedious and voluminous, and although the combat was decent it took a long time and there was a huge amount of it. It felt a lot like one of those fantasy novels where the author is just totally convinced that taking standard fantasy and subverting it a bit will, like, totally blow your mind, dude. Nevermind that some bog-standard subversions are honestly about the least interesting thing to do with conventional fantasy; there's still elves and dwarves and all, only now they probably aren't elves and dwarves I actually particularly enjoy.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

8. - Top - End - #638

PirateGuy

It feels like sci-fi/cyberpunk/modern/'real-world" RPGs have a ahrder time breaking into the "Greatest RPGs ever" discussion, as if the presence of a gun makes it a new genre entirely. Not a unified theory though, since people put the Fallout games on various charts, but it seems like fantasy has a leg up on the competition for whatever reason.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    It feels like sci-fi/cyberpunk/modern/'real-world" RPGs have a ahrder time breaking into the "Greatest RPGs ever" discussion, as if the presence of a gun makes it a new genre entirely. Not a unified theory though, since people put the Fallout games on various charts, but it seems like fantasy has a leg up on the competition for whatever reason.
    Probably volume more than anything - when there's way more fantasy RPGs than any other genre (and I mean at least an order of magnitude, probably over two) it's much more likely that they'll show up in the discussion. Plus there's the small matter of how the entire genre is descended from D&D, and a handful of those D&D game tend to dominate the list. By which I mean Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    There's also Knights of the Old Republic and the Mass Effect games, which are generally rated very highly.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

11. - Top - End - #641

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    There's also Knights of the Old Republic and the Mass Effect games, which are generally rated very highly.
    Or the original Deus Ex.

I think Knaight was on to something when they mentioned volume. I may have been shortsighted and forgot about Mass Effect and Deus Ex, but it feels like there's so many fantasy RPGs that maybe that alone dominates the conversation.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Yeah, but KotOR was D&D with a Star Wars coat of paint on top (quite appropriate, since Star Wars is more closely related to High Fantasy than SciFi). And Mass Effect & Deus Ex can be classified as FPS with RPG elements, so I can see how it wouldn't make the same lists as the others.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Deus Ex, the original I'd class as an RPG with FPS elements. Shooting skill from the player was less a component than JCDenton's shooting skill was. You's spend the first parts of the game compensating for it unless you went stealth melee. Or pure stealth.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

14. - Top - End - #644
    Pixie in the Playground

I am playing Assassin's Creed.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Troll in the Playground

Not gonna lie, I lasted ten minutes into Shadowrun before bailing to play something else. Doesn't help I don't actually know anything about shadowrun the setting or the system and the chargen bit didn't explain anything, so the entire chargen process is basically "here, make a bunch of choices you have zero context for", which kind of doesn't exactly foster a great mood for taking the beginning of the game well.

I have to agree on Pillars, though. Like, it was serviceable, but that's about it. An RPG often lives and dies by its cast and quest design, and the entire cast of Pillars had like two people who weren't thoroughly boring and neither of them actually was allowed to be consequential to the narrative, and the quest design had very little in the way of interesting twists and turns.

I did mostly enjoy Numenera while I was playing it, though holy christ guys way to botch the ending and sour half the thing retroactively.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kryp View Post
    WoW or other MMOs like EVE Online :)
    Hey! I'm in the middle of playing eve online too! How new is your character and do you have a corp you fly with currently?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

17. - Top - End - #647
    Banned

Since we were talking about Shadowrun, has anyone played any of the fan made scenarios for Dragonfall or Hong Kong? Some of them have quite high ratings so I was thinking of giving a few a try and I'm looking for suggestions.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

I've gotten back into Monster Hunter World, and have started fighting tempered monsters. I'm also slowly dipping my toes into other weapons besides the insect glaive and hammer, which is making the game feel fairly fresh again.

I've also recently gotten into this game called Dreadnought, which is a ship-to-ship combat game where you play the bigger, slower ships rather than the small starfighters, making it feel more like naval combat and less like dogfighting. It's definitely interesting, but the game seems to have a really small player base even though it's free to play. Some modes take several minutes to find a match, while others seem to never have anyone playing at all. Thankfully there's an option to search first available match of any mode, but not being able to play certain modes does hamper progress and makes the trophy hunting basically impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

19. - Top - End - #649

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I've gotten back into Monster Hunter World, and have started fighting tempered monsters. I'm also slowly dipping my toes into other weapons besides the insect glaive and hammer, which is making the game feel fairly fresh again.
    I really loved my first 100 hours of MHW, but after I fought all the monsters, and the only thing left to do was fight tougher versions of the same monsters while grinding for optimum equipment...well...I'd rather just move on. Had a blast, though.
    "...one may smile, and smile, and be a villain..."

JB: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
    LP: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not put upon this world to "get it"!

20. - Top - End - #650
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    I really loved my first 100 hours of MHW, but after I fought all the monsters, and the only thing left to do was fight tougher versions of the same monsters while grinding for optimum equipment...well...I'd rather just move on. Had a blast, though.
    Yeah, I felt the same. I'm not sure it's really a knock on the game that there's "only" 100 hours or so of amazing content before it gets repetitive, but it would have been really nice if there were a few more areas to explore.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

So, a month after release, I'm still playing BlazBlue Cross Tag pretty regularly. My difficulties picking characters have been partially solved, sort of, in that I can't bring myself to not have Yang on my teams anymore. And not for any of the usual reasons I wind up with a main in a fighting game either, but just because she's too damn awesome not to play.
    Spoiler: Warning: fighting game lingo.
    Show
    Every time I get a Semblance comeback, or do a pushblock into Bionic Arm Burning Gold punish, or land Burning Gold on someone throwing around too many projectiles predictably (which is surprisingly quite a few characters that are pretty popular in this game), or manage to armor through something with her 5B to get a counter-hit combo, it feels so good and makes me so happy. Or hell, just having Semblance activate and hear that perfectly-timed "I Burn!" ring out as her music kicks in.

Or multiple at once. Today I managed to armor through Gordeau's full ex-scythe-spin special with her 5B, but had the damage from that reduce my health enough to trigger Semblance, which immediately activated after the 5B hit. To my surprise and delight, I was able to link 5A after that and continue into a full combo, which the Semblance power-up made potent enough to finish my opponent off. I had no idea that could happen and it was absolutely awesome to see.

Anyway, on another subject, I recently got the desire to do something I haven't done in a very long time - re-play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Wound up needing to buy a new copy off GoG since my old CD copy kept crashing, but eh, game's more than worth $10 to me after so long. It's kind of weird going back to it after all this time though. I mean, obviously the visuals are pretty janky compared to what we're used to now, but oddly that doesn't bother me nearly as much as, say, when I briefly played a little of WoW for a cross-promotion it did with Hearthstone (perhaps because, unlike WoW, I played KotOR back when the visuals were more the norm). What does a little is the voice acting. While the main cast is generally fine, some of the NPCs are... not so much. Granted, it's rarely the important ones that sound really off, but still. Also, wow, the pathfinding on your companions sometimes - come on Mission, I told you to disarm that mine, not walk into and set it off. And really guys, why are you half the map away when I'm trying to move into the next area, and why will the game not let me do that if you're not close by?

But yeah, beyond stuff like that, I'm still enjoying it. Classic D&D-esque fun.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

22. - Top - End - #652
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cosmic. Star. Heroine.

Just wow.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

Rebooted Renowned Explorers with the DLC, and it's pretty fun. I wish more devs would think about spicing up their battle mechanics like they did with this one.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp, I haven't gotten to GOW yet. Blame Games Done Quick!

I got Borderlands: The Pre-sequel, and I have to say I kinda regret not getting it on release, I actually enjoyed it a lot! It helps the game is obscenely australian. Literally in the case of The Boganella. Though the backtracking and occasional clucky quest mechanics were occasionally an issue...One oft mitigated by the absurdity of the late-game guns and dialogue.

Painkiller has proven to be good...though coming off Borderlands, I've suddenly been made aware that older-style shooters are way more stressful due to resource depletion.

100% orange juice is... Well. It is.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

25. - Top - End - #655
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm playing Elona now.

Specifically, Elona+ Custom.

Streaming, again, found here. Stream over.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-07-10 at 08:20 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

26. - Top - End - #656

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Painkiller has proven to be good...though coming off Borderlands, I've suddenly been made aware that older-style shooters are way more stressful due to resource depletion.
    Just took me several attempts to get through part of the original Call of Juarez because Ray was down to 001 health and I kept dying, but I was darned if I was going back to a previous save!

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Started my on-again/off-again relationship with DBZ Dokkan about a month or so ago.

The game's currently in the middle of it's 3rd year celebration & they have two major banners (Legendary Rare Vegito & Gogeta banners) at discounted pull rates and they've tossed out all the "throw money at our gacha" you can imagine (30 stone for your first three pulls, your fourth pull is free and you get tickets towards a bonus draw). I've spend the whole last 1.29$ on my Google Play store towards this game. Free to play no more am I!

Managed to pull a single copy of the LR Vegito. This thing is basically powercreep given form: high stats like all LRs, Great links, high self atk & def buffs, bonus ki on rainbow sphere AND anytime your HP is less then 50% after 6 rounds of combat, he transforms. The transformation fully heals you, raises the self buffs even high, gets somewhat better links, more bonus ki on rainbow spheres, gain a powerful counter attack AND your special deals more base damage.

Now consider that in addition to the one on your team, you can have a second one borrowed from a friend...

Absolutely disgustingly powerful and I hear the Gogeta is basically the same. I slightly modified my Potara fusion team for some bonus Vegito goodness (I pulled both the LR Vegito & a PHY Super Saiyan Vegito) and now endgame content that caused me to use a couple of items or just give up entirely is being steamrolled.

On the plus side, at least I won't have too much trouble grinding out materials needed to max out my Bardock now.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Just took me several attempts to get through part of the original Call of Juarez because Ray was down to 001 health and I kept dying, but I was darned if I was going back to a previous save!
    Sounds about right

Though I've since changed my mind about the painkiller remake's difficulty: With the addition of better guns and the absence of those accursed black knights, the game has moved from "Frighteningly hard" to "pleasingly challenging." Also, the Alastor fight is still awesome.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2018-07-11 at 05:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #659

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Though I've since changed my mind about the painkiller remake's difficulty: With the addition of better guns
    I refuse to believe that the remake could possibly have added a better gun than the one which impales enemies to walls with medium-sized tree trunks...

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I refuse to believe that the remake could possibly have added a better gun than the one which impales enemies to walls with medium-sized tree trunks...
    It doesn't add any guns to my knowlege, but I now have access to that gun, as opposed to the buzzsaw launcher (which could kill anything but those knights) and the almost automatic shotgun (which was also terrible against the knights...see a pattern?)
    Though may favorite has to be the shurikens-and-lightning gun of Yahtzee fame.