New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Structural Class Changes (Mana, Talents, Clear gish structure)

Quote Originally Posted by Descole View Post
    Mending, Make Whole, Memory of Function - Could fit rather well in the alteration theme
    Knock/Lock - Protection maybe
    When I created Alteration I purposefully avoided adding object altering spells here. If I did then it basically becomes the Transmutation school. Knock/Lock for example starts to fit if we add all these object modifying spells. Enlarge/Reduce makes sense as it's main application is on people. Fabricate should maybe belong with these other spells instead of being in Alteration.
    Knock/Lock feels like "general magic". There isn't really a place for basic stuff like this. :(

Antimagic could use a See invisibility type spell
    Added See Magical Invisibility (See Invisibility with the Ethereal Plane part stripped out) to the Antimagic theme.

==============

Scatter (chaos)
    2-3 mana - Action - 120 range - Each creature in a 15 feet diameter sphere is teleported 2d10x10 feet in a random cardinal direction (roll 1d8, 1 is north, 2 northwest and so on).
    Use as escape tool or to divide a group of enemies.
    This is great! Though I think I'd make it a cone and place it at 1 mana. We'll have to add the rules for being shunted in to objects/creatures dealing (4d6 damage).

Unstable form (chaos)
    4-6 mana - Bonus Action - self - 1-minute duration - You transform into a random monster (maybe limit to a certain type) with Cr X (maybe base on mana spent) gaining all its statistics and actions. At the start of your next turn you transform into a new monster. You may end this spell as a bonus action, if you do you revert to your original form.
    A nice chunk of Hp and some fun new attacks, set Cr makes it less hit or miss.
    This could work if the HP is set and not refreshed every round. Otherwise this becomes invulnerability except to instant death from large burst damage spells that can do more than the max HP of a creature.
    Still kind of annoying for the player to pull up a new statblock every round - I could see that slowing the game down if the player couldn't manage it well.

Replace Target (chaos)
    1-2 mana - Reaction - 60 range - As a reaction to a single creature becoming the target of a spell, attack or ability you may force the caster/attacker/user to succeed on a will saving throw or change the target of the spell, attack or ability to another random target within range excluding itself, if there are no other possible targets this spell fails.
    A nice defensive tool fitting in the random paradigm
    Good idea. I need to convert several class features like this to spells - the Defy Death class feature for example.

==============

My attempt to split Mind and telepathy into Intellect and Emotion:
    Intellect: Overpower, outwith, cold, disciplined, controlling
    Emotion: Stress, understand, calm, disrupting

Message - Intellect
    Sense minds - Emotion
    Alienation - Intellect
    Detect Thoughts - Intellect
    Sending - Intellect (A feeling/picture based one can be made for Emotion)
    Telepathic Bond - Intellect
    Distract - Emotion
    Mind Thrust - Intellect
    Agonizing Rebuke - Emotion
    Call to Mind - Intellect
    Disable - Emotion but could go either way
    Dissonant Whispers - Emotion
    Ego Whip - Emotion
    Meld Mindcrystal - Intellect
    Mind Spike - Intellect
    Mind Trap - Intellect
    Brain Lock - Intellect
    Confusion - Emotion
    Enemies Abound - Emotion
    Mind Blast - Intellect
    Psychic Crush - Intellect
    Thought Shield - Intellect
    Modify Memory - Intellect
    Personality Parasite - Can’t decide
    Synaptic Static - Emotion
    Co-opt Concentration - Intellect
    Mind Switch - Can’t Decide
    Schism - Can’t Decide
    Mind Blank - Intellect
    Power word Stun - Emotion
    Psychic Reformation - Intellect
    Solicit Mindcrystal - Intellect
    Symbol of Insanity - Emotion
    Feeblemind - Intellect
    Mind Seed - Intellect
    Hmm.... not sure I'm seeing it. I want to, but..

Sense Minds is definitely Intellect imo. The caster is looking for minds (thoughts), not emotions.
    Symbol of Insanity should be Intellect imo. Insanity is related to intellect, not emotions.
    Personality Parasite, Mind Switch, and Schism are definitely Intellect
    Many are just barely more "emotional": Power word Stun, Synaptic Static (because muddled?)

That'd leave us with a lopsided split: ~10 for emotion and ~25 for Intellect. I'd rather have a mega-theme than that. A possibly more workable split would be Mind Assault and Mind Defense. I think I started out with that. Not sure if that's the best option. Maybe 34 spells isn't so bad.
    Last edited by Kryx; 2018-11-01 at 05:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mundane" could be an option for some spells.

Grease, Knock/Lock, Wall of Stone, Mending, Homunculus, Mighty Fortress, Mansion. Mix in the cloud of daggers, blade barrier, etc.

I could see it working, but it definitely needs to be unique and not similar to Force.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground

Reposting with editions

I like your changes to Arcane and Nature theme, but a problem emerged now at my table.

I have a Transmuter Wizard player at my table, and he really likes grease as more material/alchemical spell. I too think it is a cool "mundane" spell (I.e.: not dealing with planes and high magic). So I was thinking where a spell like that should go, and I came with a suggestion.

Create a **Creation/Material** theme. A spell list could be:

Cantrips
    Mending
    Instantaneous Blade (melee attack cantrip, 1d12 damage?)

Mana 1
    Forge Armor (similar to Mage Armor, temporary 13+dex AC)
    Grease
    Ram (damage, push, extra damage on objects)
    Make Whole
    Blade Barrier
    Cloud of Daggers

Mana 2
    Knock/Lock
    Shelter (weaker version of Tiny Hut, a physical house with a door or window, penetrable)
    Prestidigitation (should maybe be here instead of Force?)

Mana 3
    Wall of Stone

Mana 4
    Create Homunculus
    Iron Maiden (similar to banishment, but deals damage per turn and costs more)

Mana 5
    Create Golem/Shield Guardian

Mana 6
    Mighty Fortress

15 Spells, 3 cantrips.
    ___

Well, I can see it has some overlaps with Force. Wall of Stone, Shelter, Ram. And Prestidigitation, which I don't think it really fits Force (it's ok when there isn't somewhere else).
    Last edited by Marcloure; 2018-11-02 at 12:18 AM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

If it is Creation then Prestidigitation and Knock/Lock don't fit imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloure View Post
    Instantaneous Blade (melee attack cantrip, 1d12 damage?)
    Sounds like a force theme spell. A weapon attack shouldn't be more damage than a normal weapon unless there is a reason. There aren't reasons like acid or anything coming from Mundane.

Ram (damage, push, extra damage on objects)
    This is the Telekinesis spell "Kinetic Throw" and doesn't fit here.

Shelter (weaker version of Tiny Hut, a physical house with a door or window, penetrable)
    I'm not seeing the point of this spell. Tiny Hut is great because it ensures a resting place. This is more cosmetic and keeps the rain off. I guess it makes a good story element. I created it, but unsure...

5. - Top - End - #425

Quote Originally Posted by Kryx View Post
    If it is Creation then Prestidigitation and Knock/Lock don't fit imo.
    Some bullet points from Prestidigitation fits Creation, others don't, as well as with Force.

And maybe Creation might not be the best name after all, if we want to fit all those spells. I named it like that because a lot of spells where something like Mending, Make Whole, Mighty Fortress etc.

Sounds like a force theme spell. A weapon attack shouldn't be more damage than a normal weapon unless there is a reason. There aren't reasons like acid or anything coming from Mundane.
    Can't disagree

This is the Telekinesis spell "Kinetic Throw" and doesn't fit here.
    I thought of putting a spell to destroy along with the ones to create. But yeah, Ram would be very like some other spells.

I'm not seeing the point of this spell. Tiny Hut is great because it ensures a resting place. This is more cosmetic and keeps the rain off. I guess it makes a good story element. I created it, but unsure...
    The invaders would need to knock the door down, I guess. At least, the creatures in the shelter can't be surprised in most cases. But I too don't know if the spell is worthy.
    ___

If you think that the theme doesn't make a whole, I wouldn't totally disagree. But a lot of spells that currently are Unthemed fit together, and I feel like there is somewhere those spells could theme up with Grease, Prestidigitation and Knock/lock.

Maybe Creation is not the right thing though.
    Last edited by Marcloure; 2018-11-02 at 01:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Creation theme:
    • Fabricate moved from Alteration
    • Blade Barrier, Cloud of Daggers, Mending, Make Whole, Memory of Function, Create Homunculus, Mighty Fortress moved from Unthemed
    • Grease brought back
    • Forge Armor added
    • Form Golem added as a TODO
    • Shelter added
    • Iron Maiden added
    • Creation variant added

The Creation theme currently has 15 spells (1 cantrip)

Other changes:
    • Sword Burst moved from Unthemed to the Force theme. That's the flavor from 4e and it fits.
    • Added Scatter to Chaos

Entropic Shield kind of already covers "Replace Target" (I'd only allow it to include attacks, not saves) on self. Not sure there is room for both even with the reaction vs buff situation. Instead perhaps Entropic Shield makes more sense as a +1d4 or +1d8 or + 1d12 AC reaction similar to Earthen Bulwark type spells.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Changes:
    • Fighter has more maneuvers known (in line with half caster spells known)
    • Moved subclass based Fighter maneuvers to to subclasses like Monk is
    • Minstrels know all Blade Flourishes (5)
    • Monk Martial Maneuvers moved to ki features.
    • Monk subclasses learn "up to" for themes so they can learn up to their spells known limit.
    • Added Redirect Attack to the Chaos theme
    • Cleaned up the wording for the Shelter spell in the Creation theme
    • Fixed site formatting so no element should ever be bigger than 100% width on mobile.
    • Telepathy merged in to Mind.
    • Monk ki reduced to match half caster mana. The usages should be equivalent to spells.
    • Ray of Sickness poisons for 1 minute.
    • Added Noxious Plume and Toxic Fumes to Poison
    • Blink moved to 1 mana and added augment options for higher mana
    Last edited by Kryx; 2018-11-03 at 12:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Pixie in the Playground

These are some nice changes! Due to work I've been extra busy. I'll be sure to bring up any issues, so far everything looks amazing.

One of my players does have one question. Is there a reason for Inflict Wounds has such high damage and scaling? It seems to be the best DPR spell especially when augmented.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wherf View Post
    One of my players does have one question. Is there a reason for Inflict Wounds has such high damage and scaling? It seems to be the best DPR spell especially when augmented.
    See Spell Themes Balance and you'll see that Inflict Wounds is comparable to other 1 mana spells. It is an attack whereas most other spells are saving throws. Attacks have a higher chance to hit and can crit, but they do not have half damage. Missing out on half damage is a bigger detrement than the benefit of higher chance to hit and crit damage. Therefore it does 1d6 more than spells like Dessicate.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

Why does the Lightning Lure cantrip do so much damage? (2d6 at level 1, 8d6 at level 17)

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ugganaut View Post
    Why does the Lightning Lure cantrip do so much damage? (2d6 at level 1, 8d6 at level 17)
    Cantrips aim to do about 3.3 damage value. The actual damages range based on other conditions like range, attack/save, effect, etc.

Lighting Lure does 7 damage because it is a range of 30 and only goes off if the creature is pulled within 5 feet of you. So if the creature is at 30 or 25 feet it takes no damage.

I've thought that the spell is a bit weird and a standard damage + effect might be better. Thoughts?

FYI I'm rebalancing spells with a slight damage nerf from 14.3 to 13 at 1 mana (which changes all tiers). Working my way through now.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

Cantrips aim to do about 3.3 damage value. The actual damages range based on other conditions like range, attack/save, effect, etc.

Lighting Lure does 7 damage because it is a range of 30 and only goes off if the creature is pulled within 5 feet of you. So if the creature is at 30 or 25 feet it takes no damage.

I've thought that the spell is a bit weird and a standard damage + effect might be better. Thoughts?
    I knew I missed something. So even if they fail the save, it still doesn't do damage if not within 5ft.
    I think because you are standardizing the ranges, the damage + effect would be the way to go. "You create a lash of lightning energy that strikes at one creature of your choice". I don't actually see why this spell only does damage at 5ft, you aren't made of lightning, the lasso thing is, so if you fail the save, you're getting zapped and pulled by lightning. I'd say range 30, reflex save, pull 10-15ft, one dice of appropriate damage.

13. - Top - End - #433

I came up with some spells suggestions. Mostly, I'm trying to create a cantrip for Spirits and Divination.

Spirits theme

Cantrip
    Some sort of reflavored druidcraft.
    I was looking at 4e for some inspiration, and there is a druid power named Call the Spirits.
    Spoiler: Druidcraft-like, but with spirits
    Show
    As an action, you can:

• increase the burn of a candle, torch or fireplace
    • shut or open an unlocked door
    • create a small burst of wind that lift leaves and dust
    • create sparks at your firgertip that lights candles and torches.

Spirits is already a bit druid-oriented, with Wrath of Nature and Grove, so I guess "Favor of the Spirits" could go in too. Although I'm not sure if weather forecast has anything to do here.

1 mana spell
    Spoiler: Unseen Servant
    Show
    I don't see it anywhere searching on the spreadsheet, but it might have merged into some other spell.
    That said, Unseen Servant could be in Spirits.

Divination theme
    Cantrip
    Again, another inspiration from 4e. This one might be a bit powerful though.
    Spoiler: Project Senses
    Show
    Project Senses (or Far Senses) concentration, 1 round
    As an action you project your senses into a space within 30 feet. For the duration, you can determine what you see and (or?) hear as if you were standing in that space.

Antimagic theme
    I'm not sure how much I like Minor Spell Resistance. It is Resistance but more specific, and thus less powerful. But I guess it works.

Cantrip
    I thought of many versions of this one. Most of them would a) break any secrecy from most NPCs, or b) reveal numbers and thus limit the DM to fuddle them.
    But I think this one is ok, although not much powerful.
    Spoiler: Sense Magic
    Show
    Sense Magic As a reaction when you see or hear a creature casting a spell, you can determine whether that creature has mana or not, and what is the mana limit of that creature.
    Or, it could tell you which spell the creature is casting, but I think many GMs already do that for free.
    Last edited by Marcloure; 2018-11-04 at 02:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Changes:
    • Nearly all damage spells rebalanced to be slightly less powerful (aiming for 13 damage value at 1 mana instead of 14.3). I'll likely continue to improve this a bit in the coming days, but it looks pretty good for a first pass.
    • Lightning Lure changed to apply the damage with the saving throw
    • Bones of the Earth changed to be more aligned with the RAW version
    • Reworked Force Hand to be based on saving throws instead of the hand's strength
    • Weapon bursts (Magic Weapon, Flaming Weapon, Chaotic Weapon, Freezing Weapon, etc) now use an action to expend instead of bonus action
    • Blizzard reworked slightly to not use a bonus action
    • Thaumaturgy moved from Alteration to Spirit. This fully fits the "Spooky spirits" theme
    • Added Ancestral Blessing to Spirit - a clone of Guidance
    • Added Consult the Spirits to Spirit - a clone of Augury. Adjusted Barbarian Path of the Ancestral Guardian to use this spell instead of Augury.

=====================

I don't see [Unseen Servant] anywhere searching on the spreadsheet, but it might have merged into some other spell.
    That said, Unseen Servant could be in Spirits.
    Unseen Servant is in Shadow - I've added it to the spreadsheet. It isn't the best fit for Spirits unless someone has a great aunt Nelly that is always around helping them out. It sounds funny and borderline reasonable, but I think Shadow is a better fit.

Divination theme
    Cantrip
    Again, another inspiration from 4e. This one might be a bit powerful though.
    Spoiler: Project Senses
    Show
    Project Senses (or Far Senses) concentration, 1 round
    As an action you project your senses into a space within 30 feet. For the duration, you can determine what you see and (or?) hear as if you were standing in that space.
    Hmmm, this feels like getting a lot of the benefit of the 2 mana spell Clairvoyance without expending mana. I can see dungeon crawls slow to a snails pace so that the Diviner is looking ahead every 30 feet. Not such a good design in that regard imo.

On this same topic I wonder if Divination and Fate should truly be split. There seems to be a lot of crossover. A combined option isn't such a great option for the "Knowledge" based subclasses that I've put Divination on, but perhaps that was a poor choice anyways.

Antimagic theme
    I'm not sure how much I like Minor Spell Resistance. It is Resistance but more specific, and thus less powerful. But I guess it works.
    Most saving throws will be against magic so it's just barely more limited imo. I'm open to additive options.

Cantrip
    I thought of many versions of this one. Most of them would a) break any secrecy from most NPCs, or b) reveal numbers and thus limit the DM to fuddle them.
    But I think this one is ok, although not much powerful.
    Spoiler: Sense Magic
    Show
    Sense Magic As a reaction when you see or hear a creature casting a spell, you can determine whether that creature has mana or not, and what is the mana limit of that creature.
    This is just a lesser version of detect magic. I definitely wouldn't include the mana limit part. I don't see the point of seeing if a creature has mana if it's already casting a spell - the character already knows it can cast spells!
    Last edited by Kryx; 2018-11-04 at 03:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Pixie in the Playground

I wanna ask some questions and throw some ideas to your homebrew @Kryxx

1. What do you think about merging warlock with acolyte? Both gets power from external source. Acolyte gets it from prayers, and warlock from pact. Hexblade cound be fighter archetype, like eldritch knight.

2. Does Sorcerer's subclasses add 1 additional theme? For example, do Storm Sorcerer have Storm theme + 3 others at level 1?

3. What do you think about swapping Tsunami spell from Storm Sorcerer 18th level power to Control Weather?

4. What do you think about players that want to focus only on one theme? For thematic reasons (no pun intended). Does you system will (eventually) support that style of play or players must generalize and brunch out to other themes even if they don't want it? It's kinda the opposite of generalist wizard problem, i know, but some of my players really want to be a masters of one theme.

Overall, thank you for this project. Glad that you come back to work on it.
    Last edited by Awertum; 2018-11-05 at 04:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Orc in the Playground

[*]Added Ancestral Blessing to Spirit - a clone of Guidance[*]Added Consult the Spirits to Spirit - a clone of Augury. Adjusted Barbarian Path of the Ancestral Guardian to use this spell instead of Augury.

=====================

Unseen Servant is in Shadow - I've added it to the spreadsheet. It isn't the best fit for Spirits unless someone has a great aunt Nelly that is always around helping them out. It sounds funny and borderline reasonable, but I think Shadow is a better fit.
    Would Unseen Servant be eligible for cloning to the Spirit theme? It seems that there are more than a few spells which could be cloned in this way to multiple themes, with adjustments to flavour and/or mechanics.

Resistance vs Minor Spell Resistance is a good example of the mechanical variance. I noticed this difference as Marcloure did, but it didn't bother me. If you have access to both, then of course you'd pick Resistance, but the whole thing with themes is there is a good chance you won't. The spell makes sense for both themes, and the limitation doesn't make MSR useless, just thematically accurate.

I don't have the time to read everything as thoroughly as I'd like. I keep spotting things that seem odd. Featherfall for example, now only does 1 target per mana. Seeing what other 1 mana spells can do, this seems very steep for a niche spell. It's one of my favourites, but I also don't remember the last time I used it. I think that's why it was 5 creatures in RAW, because on the rare occasion it comes up, you want it to feel very useful. To use it on the party now would cost 5 mana - and that sounds crazy. If 5 is two many, maybe 2/mana? And maybe an augment to increase the range to 120ft?

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Awertum View Post
    1. What do you think about merging warlock with acolyte? Both gets power from external source. Acolyte gets it from prayers, and warlock from pact.
    The core flavors could share some similarities, but Deities are quite different from patrons imo. Subclass flavor is very very different. Sorcerer with its RAW pact option and nearly identical subclass theme is the natural fit imo.

Hexblade cound be fighter archetype, like eldritch knight.
    Paladin could be a fighter archetype. Ranger could be a fighter archetype. (Both actually started like that). Eldritch knight, Hexblade could as well. All gish could be a fighter archetype. That seems like the wrong direction to me to have the core class be some martial stuff while the real identity is their power source and subclass flavors which don't fit the fighter.

2. Does Sorcerer's subclasses add 1 additional theme? For example, do Storm Sorcerer have Storm theme + 3 others at level 1?
    Every spellcasting class (Mage, Sorcerer, Acolyte) provides 1 theme known. Every subclass (Storm, Life Domain, etc) provides 1 theme known. A character can have 3 (2 Proficiency bonus + 1) themes at level 1.

3. What do you think about swapping Tsunami spell from Storm Sorcerer 18th level power to Control Weather?
    Storm of Vengeance would be the best option. I'll replace it now.

4. What do you think about players that want to focus only on one theme? For thematic reasons (no pun intended). Does you system will (eventually) support that style of play or players must generalize and brunch out to other themes even if they don't want it? It's kinda the opposite of generalist wizard problem, i know, but some of my players really want to be a masters of one theme.
    This desire is far more accessible in my game than RAW. If you want to play a character with the theme of Acid, Astral, Chaos, Poison, Water, Time, etc the options are slim picking by RAW.
    Half casters are fully able to focus on 1 theme in most cases. Full casters, like RAW, are expected to grab some other spells as well. They could focus all their energy on their main theme, but the others are there. That said the focus should be significantly more than RAW.

I think it'd be impossible to create 32 spells for each theme and even bad design. I'd like to combine more spells if possible, not just add spells to fill the numbers. Specialists are very viable, more in my games than RAW.

I would not give a reward for specialist full casters who only take 1 theme.
    Last edited by Kryx; 2018-11-05 at 05:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Would Unseen Servant be eligible for cloning to the Spirit theme? It seems that there are more than a few spells which could be cloned in this way to multiple themes, with adjustments to flavour and/or mechanics.
    I don't think it's a good fit for Spirit, no. But perhaps I've missed something in the flavor.

If there are other spells that could fit multiple themes with some reflavoring let me know.

I don't have the time to read everything as thoroughly as I'd like. I keep spotting things that seem odd. Featherfall for example, now only does 1 target per mana. Seeing what other 1 mana spells can do, this seems very steep for a niche spell. It's one of my favourites, but I also don't remember the last time I used it. I think that's why it was 5 creatures in RAW, because on the rare occasion it comes up, you want it to feel very useful. To use it on the party now would cost 5 mana - and that sounds crazy. If 5 is two many, maybe 2/mana? And maybe an augment to increase the range to 120ft?
    A 1 mana spell on the same page increases your AC by +2 for 1 round. Feather Fall could surely prevent far more damage than that. It could prevent far more damage than some burst spells.

We shouldn't necessarily make niche spells amazing when they're used, but in this case 1 + 2 for each additional mana seems like a good option. Ranges are never augmented - I want them to be consistent and memorizable.

19. - Top - End - #439

I wanna ask some questions and throw some ideas to your homebrew @Kryxx

1. What do you think about merging warlock with acolyte? Both gets power from external source. Acolyte gets it from prayers, and warlock from pact. Hexblade cound be fighter archetype, like eldritch knight.

Overall, thank you for this project. Glad that you come back to work on it.
    1. I like the Hexblade as a Sorcerer. Before that, we didn't have a weapon-wielder Sorcerer gish. Also, the Acolyte already have the Paladin and the Avenger, which mechanical distinction is not yet quite clear imo. The Paladin gains advantage on attack rolls and more damage in one turn, the Avenger gains advantage on attack rolls against a target for one minute. I guess that makes the Paladin more burst-y and the Avenger a boss-slayer?

2. I think the maximum themes a character can know is 1+prof., and that includes themes gained through its origin, domain, school etc.

3. -

4. Well, that is a problem of having 30+ spells per theme (or fewer if you are a gish class), which only the Mind theme currently has. You will still gain some other themes through class and origin, but that alone gives a single cantrip. I think the system itself cannot do much more for single themed characters.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Orc in the Playground

[QUOTE=Kryx;23486415]If there are other spells that could fit multiple themes with some reflavoring let me know.

A 1 mana spell on the same page increases your AC by +2 for 1 round. Feather Fall could surely prevent far more damage than that. It could prevent far more damage than some burst spells.
    We shouldn't necessarily make niche spells amazing when they're used, but in this case 1 + 2 for each additional mana seems like a good option. Ranges are never augmented - I want them to be consistent and memorizable.
    I did think of that, that it can potentially save someone from certain death. The scenerio's in which +2AC can be applied, or Revivify for the life saving option, is to long to list. I think the 1+2 option is good.

Flaming Sphere: Is there a maximum distance the sphere can be from you before you can't move it? Do you require line of sight to move it? RAW doesn't address this either, so I'm guessing the answer to both is No.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

I did think of that, that it can potentially save someone from certain death. The scenerio's in which +2AC can be applied, or Revivify for the life saving option, is to long to list. I think the 1+2 option is good.
    Changed to 1+2, thanks for the feedback!

Flaming Sphere: Is there a maximum distance the sphere can be from you before you can't move it? Do you require line of sight to move it? RAW doesn't address this either, so I'm guessing the answer to both is No.
    Distance: As it has no limit specified then by RAW there is no limit to the distance. RAI I'd say within reason: You can move it to places you can currently see with 100% precision, places you've just seen with pretty good precision, places you've never seen (behind walls) with a "I move it 10 feet to the right" precision.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, the Acolyte already have the Paladin and the Avenger, which mechanical distinction is not yet quite clear imo. The Paladin gains advantage on attack rolls and more damage in one turn, the Avenger gains advantage on attack rolls against a target for one minute. I guess that makes the Paladin more burst-y and the Avenger a boss-slayer?
    I aim to have two roles for each gish for Acolyte and Naturalist: Defender and Striker (borrowing 4e terms).
    Acolyte: Avenger is the Striker while Paladin is the Defender
    Naturalist: Ranger is the Striker while Warden is the Defender

Paladin's Guided Strike (stolen from the War domain) should probably be moved either back to War or removed. Paladin will then need a new channel divinity. Added https://bitbucket.org/mlenser/tablet...e-from-paladin to handle this
    Last edited by Kryx; 2018-11-06 at 06:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

Changes:
    • I've added damage types to the spells spreadsheet. Damage types are very minor modifiers to damage with most options removing about 1-4% with poison being an outlier of removing 9.5%. The effectiveness of a damage type is determined by resistances, immunities, and vulnerabilities. The following spells are modified:
      • Produce Flame now does 1d10 at 30 feet instead of 1d8 at 60 feet.
      • Ray of Frost now does 1d10 instead of 1d8
      • Toxic Weapon burst does 6d4 instead of 4d6, more mana does 2d4 instead of 1d6
      • Shadow Tendrils does 5d4 instead of 3d6, more mana does 3d4 instead of 2d6
    • Dirge of the Victorious Knights fixed to be 2d6+2d6 and increasing by 2d6 for each additional mana
    • Acolyte smites now do radiant or necrotic depending on alignment

24. - Top - End - #444
    Orc in the Playground

Distance: As it has no limit specified then by RAW there is no limit to the distance. RAI I'd say within reason: You can move it to places you can currently see with 100% precision, places you've just seen with pretty good precision, places you've never seen (behind walls) with a "I move it 10 feet to the right" precision.
    Yeah, it's strange how the leave some things to common sense, then other's they state it clearly.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Changes:
    • Guided Strike moved from Paladin to War Domain. Aura of Protection moved from Perks to Paladin
    • Spell Recall merged in to Mage’s Arcane Inspiration
    • Removed Greater Favored Enemy Perk
    • Fighter maneuvers changed to be vs saving throws like RAW
    • Wall of Stone moved from 3 mana to 2
    • Wall of Sand moved from 2 mana to 1
    • Wall of Bones added to Undeath at 2 mana
    • Wall of Ectoplasm, Wall of Force, Wall of Sand, Wall of Thorns wording cleaned up to align with Wall of Stone/Wall of Bones
    • Past Impressions moved from Divination to Spirit
    • See Invisibility and True Seeing merged to become Seeing. (2 mana which augments to 4, so no cost changes)
    • Find the Path moved from 4 mana to 3 mana
    • Synaptic Static moved from 3 mana to 2 mana
    Last edited by Kryx; 2018-11-07 at 08:45 AM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Pixie in the Playground

I have a few more clarifications that were asked by my players:

1. Looking over Precognition I realized that I could interpret the spell another way. Does the d6 effect happen only once (affecting only one saving throw, ability check, or attack roll) before expiring or does it affect every ability check, saving throw, and attack roll during its duration?

Everytime we've looked over this spell I have assumed it was a latter. Few spells buff stats through straight numbers due to issues breaking 'bounded accuracy' I'll quote one of my player's thoughts on this spell below- we've talked about this ability quite a bit! It is clear the 1d4 AC buff is a constant, but I would reword the spell a little to be a bit more clear. 'As long as precognition is active the caster adds 1d6 to any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll.

Spoiler
    Show
    It would be a very simple matter to have someone cast Bless on you while you're under Precognition, and it would be very rare for you to lose concentration on the spell then. In addition, adding 1 to 4 extra AC for every attack roll that targets you just seems like an unusually high AC buff especially for a 1 mana spell. And what would stop someone from casting Shield of Faith on you in addition to that?
    Might it be more reasonable for the caster of Precognition to choose when to gain its benefit (once per turn perhaps) instead of having full access to all of its effects every time like Bless?
    If Bless and Precognition cannot be stacked, and Shield of Faith and Precognition cannot be stacked, then it might be fine to leave it as is.
    I can understand if similar magical effects on the same target do not stack (similar to Paladin auras and temp HP) and you instead use whichever magical effect is the strongest.

2. Entropic Shield in the Chaos Theme might be a little too strong. I suggest increasing the d8 to a d12. I really love the idea of the spell but alongside blur- it is a very frustrating spell to deal with- especially when augmented! It is a chaos spell, I think thematically it should be powerful but unreliable. Afterall it can deflect any kind of attack. Even from a very high CR monster even at 1 mana. It is still vulnerable to saving throws, but I think its a little strong. I'm curious what your thoughts are.

3. One of my players was quite excited to play a Magus. Using the 'Arcane Strike' feature to enhance their attacks will chill touch to stop healing or use other utility cantrips depending on the monster. However, at level 11 they get 'Battle Magic'. Going by how it is written a magus would be able to use their bonus action to put a spell or cantrip on their weapon (Arcane Strike), hit their target dealing damage. Then for their next attack use 'Battle Magic' to put another spell on their weapon. Is this how the ability is intended? The damage numbers seem very high. Especially if they could put two spells on their weapon during one round (e.g., Inflict wounds augmented, strike then for the second strike another Inflict wounds).

27. - Top - End - #447
    Orc in the Playground

3. One of my players was quite excited to play a Magus. Using the 'Arcane Strike' feature to enhance their attacks will chill touch to stop healing or use other utility cantrips depending on the monster. However, at level 11 they get 'Battle Magic'. Going by how it is written a magus would be able to use their bonus action to put a spell or cantrip on their weapon (Arcane Strike), hit their target dealing damage. Then for their next attack use 'Battle Magic' to put another spell on their weapon. Is this how the ability is intended? The damage numbers seem very high. Especially if they could put two spells on their weapon during one round (e.g., Inflict wounds augmented, strike then for the second strike another Inflict wounds).
    Interesting, didn't notice that.
    RAW you can't cast two spells in a round that expend a spell slot, and I was assuming it was the same here, but could be wrong. Spell+Cantrip is legal I think.

Arcane Strike: "You can expend mana as a bonus action to channel a spell..."
    I don't think you can use Chill Touch, as it doesn't expend any mana. You could use Inflict Wounds though.
    "You can only use arcane strike if you have not expended ki, mana, or stamina this turn."
    So you can only use this feature once on your turn, both because you can only cast one mana 1+ spell, and you only have one bonus action.
    If you run out of mana(At 11th, easy to do in four rounds, or less with reaction spells), then you can't use this feature until you regain mana.

Battle Magic: This doesn't store the spell in the weapon, or use your bonus action. It's like Action Surge 1/turn but for spells(still following the same rules for multiple mana 1+ spells in a round I assume). However there is no mention of mana, so you could bonus action Arcane Strike(Inflict Wounds)+action Extra Attack(two attacks), and then cast a cantrip(Chill Touch) as a no action.
    Unlike Arcane Strike, you can still use this when you run out of mana.

Spell Mastery: That would allow you to do two Inflict Wounds in a round, a mana 3 version with Arcane Strike, and a mana 1 version with Battle Magic that doesn't expend mana. At that level, probably not an issue.
    Last edited by Ugganaut; 2018-11-08 at 03:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Precognition
    1. Looking over Precognition I realized that I could interpret the spell another way. Does the d6 effect happen only once (affecting only one saving throw, ability check, or attack roll) before expiring or does it affect every ability check, saving throw, and attack roll during its duration?

Every time we've looked over this spell I have assumed it was a latter. Few spells buff stats through straight numbers due to issues breaking 'bounded accuracy' I'll quote one of my player's thoughts on this spell below- we've talked about this ability quite a bit! It is clear the 1d4 AC buff is a constant, but I would reword the spell a little to be a bit more clear. 'As long as precognition is active the caster adds 1d6 to any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll.
    The spell is worded in the same format as RAW Bless and Bane:
    Whenever you make an attack roll, ability check, or a saving throw before the spell ends, you can roll a d6 and add the number rolled to the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

Additionally, whenever you are attacked before the spell ends, you can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to your armor class.
    "Whenever" and "before the spell ends", like the RAW versions, state that it applies on all rolls during the duration. I'd like to keep the wording which matches the RAW wording expectations.

It would be a very simple matter to have someone cast Bless on you while you're under Precognition, and it would be very rare for you to lose concentration on the spell then. [...] And what would stop someone from casting Shield of Faith on you in addition to that?
    Might it be more reasonable for the caster of Precognition to choose when to gain its benefit (once per turn perhaps) instead of having full access to all of its effects every time like Bless?
    If Bless and Precognition cannot be stacked, and Shield of Faith and Precognition cannot be stacked, then it might be fine to leave it as is.
    I can understand if similar magical effects on the same target do not stack (similar to Paladin auras and temp HP) and you instead use whichever magical effect is the strongest.
    Buffs stacking is the inherent problem of D&D 5e which was handled via typed bonuses in D&D 3/3.5. In RAW 5e this isn't a problem because there is no overlap in spells accomplishing the same goals whereas in my system there is. I would not allow buffs of the same kind to stack via the "similar magical effects on the same target do not stack" principle. If you can think of a way of codifying that as a general rule please let me know.

adding 1 to 4 extra AC for every attack roll that targets you just seems like an unusually high AC buff especially for a 1 mana spell.
    Shield of Faith adds +2 AC for 5 minutes/mana on any target as a bonus action. Precognition adds +2.5 AC for 1 minute/mana on yourself as an action. Precognition has other benefits that offset that disparity, but 2.5 AC on average is not a problem for a 1 mana spell.

=====================

Entropic Shield
    2. Entropic Shield in the Chaos Theme might be a little too strong. I suggest increasing the d8 to a d12. I really love the idea of the spell but alongside blur- it is a very frustrating spell to deal with- especially when augmented! It is a chaos spell, I think thematically it should be powerful but unreliable. After all it can deflect any kind of attack. Even from a very high CR monster even at 1 mana. It is still vulnerable to saving throws, but I think its a little strong. I'm curious what your thoughts are.
    At 1 mana the spell has a 2/8 (25%) chance of avoiding attacks. 3/8 (2 mana) is 37.5%, 4/8 (3 mana) is 50%. Keep in mind that there are 6 mana spels that make you fully immune to damage so being very unlikely to hit at higher mana tiers is by design (still worse than Invulnerability).
    However, I forgot about Blur when balancing this spell. With Blur as a 2 mana spell offering ~25% chance to avoid attacks (in the middle range of bonus vs AC) perhaps I've evaluated Entropic Shield a bit too high. Options to change Entropic shield would be:
    1. Remove the "one plus the mana" to just be mana so we start at 12.5% and scale by 12.5% at each tier. Would be about the same benefit as Blur at 2 mana.
    2. Remove the d8 and just use the disadvantage that Blur does. In 3.5 Blur and Entropic Shield had the same benefit

Chaos spells use d8 so I don't want to change the dice. Stacking with Blur is a problem. I removed Blur's concentration to allow it to compete with Mirror Image, but I wonder if it'd be best to add concentration to Mirror Image instead. This would reduce any stacking concerns.

=====================

Magus, Arcane Strike
    The whole design around this feature was actually outdated from raw mana costs. I need to update this whole paradigm - it's way too strong right now. The goal is for the "Mana attack" features to work on 1 mana or more spells. Mage is supposed to be unique in that they can channel cantrips as well (like the Duskblade of 3.5). Let me revist my math and come back with a proper solution.
    Last edited by Kryx; 2018-11-08 at 05:59 AM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Orc in the Playground

Still going through Mage, might take me awhile :) I'll focus on Wizard and Schools, leave Magus till you've updated it.

Spellbook+Arcane Secrets+Arcane Inspiration: The combination of these features does give me the generalist feel I was looking for. It also allows finding rival spellbooks to be a big deal which I like.

Focused Concentration: Is it possible to get another use of this at higher levels?

School of Conjuration
    "Transposition 6th
    You can use a bonus action to teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see. Alternatively, you can choose a space within range that is occupied by a creature. If that creature is willing, you both teleport, swapping places.
    Alternatively, you can use your action to teleport to a space occupied by an unwilling creature. It must make a Will saving throw against your mage spell save DC. On a failure, you both teleport, swapping places.
    "

I was going to ask why not just replace with "You can use Teleport or Transposition without augments at no mana cost". But I noticed distance was different.
    Also, there is no teleporation spell that simply brings an ally to the caster, only the expensive Transposition+Reposition augment. This might be something to include in this feature.

"Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest or you expend mana to cast a conjuration spell."

There is no conjuration theme by the looks, and no keywords(one thing I liked from 4e), or other way to discern what a conjuration spell is.

School of Enchantment
    Hypnotic Gaze: I noticed this, and Charm Person, don't mention if the target is aware of the charm after the effects end(or if they make their initial saving throw). Alter Memories makes it so they don't remember. So assume they always know, unless they have the Alter Memories feature?

School of Evocation
    Deflecting Shroud: "When you use this feature, you can’t expend mana until the end of your next turn."
    Would it be better to have this either Prof/Int times per short rest. I don't know what changes you're making to Magus, but it could affect those features too. No other class feature seems to cut you off from using mana.
    Overchannel: "When you expend 2 to 7 mana...". 6, unless there is a way to use 7.
    Interested to see how this feature plays out. I can see it being used twice in a row with minimal downside(especially if you have a healer), with some massive burst potential. Not sure if it's an issue though. Maybe instead of taking necrotic damage that bypasses resistance/immunity, it reduced your maximum hit points until you finished a long rest. Or is that how it was in a previous version? I'm getting tired :)

School of Transmutation
    Master Transmuter(Major Transformation): "You can transmute...", You can permanently transmute?
    Master Transmuter(Restore Youth): You can look 13 your whole life once gaining this feature :) Not a criticism, just found it amusing.
    Master Transmuter(Restore Life): Do you still need to consume the gem? Also, where is the Raise Dead spell.

School of Necromancy
    Grim Harvest: "...or twice your mage level if the spell belongs to the School of Necromancy". Undeath theme.

Is it possible to add a Search feature to the website. I've been having difficulty finding spells, some of them aren't obvious where to find them, but it would be extremely useful for everything. I searched various theme pages for Raise Dead, but only found mention of it in other spells like Gentle Repose, or features like Restore Life. Resurrection might have replaced it?

There is a Chaos theme, but no Law theme. Is that by design, or not sure what to put in a Law theme?

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

Spellbook+Arcane Secrets+Arcane Inspiration: The combination of these features does give me the generalist feel I was looking for. It also allows finding rival spellbooks to be a big deal which I like.
    Good! Personally the Wizard/Mage has never been my kind of thing - it's far too generic for my liking. I've always preferred the Sorcerer's flavor so Mage hasn't got as much love as the Sorcerer has.

Focused Concentration: Is it possible to get another use of this at higher levels?
    Concentration breaking should be a quite rare event. 1/day seems sufficient at all levels. More seems like it might offset that balance in a negative way.
    Note: I've removed "from a theme you know" from Focused Concentration so that it does not conflict with the Mage's schtick.

School of Conjuration
    Transposition
    I was going to ask why not just replace with "You can use Teleport or Transposition without augments at no mana cost".
    I will replace it with a spell:
    You learn *teleport* and *transposition* if you do not already know them. You can cast *teleport* or *transposition* without expending mana.
    Once you cast *teleport* or *transposition* in this way, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest, though you can still cast them normally using mana.
    Also, there is no teleporation spell that simply brings an ally to the caster, only the expensive Transposition+Reposition augment.
    Teleport an ally to the caster? Is there some kind of history for such an ability? I can't think of any source material where that is used.

"Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest or you expend mana to cast a conjuration spell."

There is no conjuration theme by the looks, and no keywords(one thing I liked from 4e), or other way to discern what a conjuration spell is.
    Stripped this part out - it's legacy from a different version. Thanks!

School of Enchantment
    Hypnotic Gaze: I noticed this, and Charm Person, don't mention if the target is aware of the charm after the effects end(or if they make their initial saving throw). Alter Memories makes it so they don't remember. So assume they always know, unless they have the Alter Memories feature?
    Charm Creature say the creature is aware: "When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you."
    Hypnotic Gaze, by RAW does not specify if the creature knows. I'd leave it up to the GM, but would say they probably do know.

School of Evocation
    Deflecting Shroud: "When you use this feature, you can’t expend mana until the end of your next turn."
    Would it be better to have this either Prof/Int times per short rest. I don't know what changes you're making to Magus, but it could affect those features too. No other class feature seems to cut you off from using mana.
    This feature cuts off the usage of mana because it is a reliably repeatable option. The other option is to limit its usages to X times, but I wanted it to be repeatable. Psionicist has it as a core class feature: "Kinetic Deflection"

Overchannel: "When you expend 2 to 7 mana...". 6, unless there is a way to use 7.
    Fixed

Interested to see how this feature plays out. I can see it being used twice in a row with minimal downside(especially if you have a healer), with some massive burst potential. Not sure if it's an issue though. Maybe instead of taking necrotic damage that bypasses resistance/immunity, it reduced your maximum hit points until you finished a long rest. Or is that how it was in a previous version? I'm getting tired :)
    This version is the same as RAW except the damage has been adjusted for the mana system. I've adjusted it to 4d6 per mana expended now (14 vs 13 from 2d12). 14*3 for example is 42 which for a caster can be quite a lot. Perhaps it's worth it in the end, but definitely costly.

School of Transmutation
    Master Transmuter(Major Transformation): "You can transmute...", You can permanently transmute?
    Master Transmuter(Restore Youth): You can look 13 your whole life once gaining this feature :) Not a criticism, just found it amusing.
    Yes to both. This is a RAW feature, but seems solid.

Master Transmuter(Restore Life): Do you still need to consume the gem? Also, where is the Raise Dead spell.
    It was merged in with Resurrection (raise dead is the 4 mana part, Resurrection the 5 mana part) . Changed it and all other referneces to now reference Resurrection. All spell costs would still be paid as normal, so yes the gem is required.

School of Necromancy
    Grim Harvest: "...or twice your mage level if the spell belongs to the School of Necromancy". Undeath theme.
    Good Call. I'll just make it always twice the mage level.

Is it possible to add a Search feature to the website. I've been having difficulty finding spells, some of them aren't obvious where to find them, but it would be extremely useful for everything. I searched various theme pages for Raise Dead, but only found mention of it in other spells like Gentle Repose, or features like Restore Life. Resurrection might have replaced it?
    Search is a notoriously difficult feature. I could alternatively list all spell names for each theme on the theme page.

There is a Chaos theme, but no Law theme. Is that by design, or not sure what to put in a Law theme?
    Chaos is a very defined concept and character choice. I don't see the same for Law, but if you think there are 10+ spells to fill out a theme please suggest it.