New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

That would just fan the flames. Especially if progress stalled due to some roadblock or other. Books like those are a massive undertaking, they take however long they take.Deciding that an author isn't writing because you see them doing something else is a faulty conclusion which has nothing to do with the author.

The contract is with the publisher, not the fanbase.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    But we're moving terribly off-topic
    What is this... 'topic' of which you speak?
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

3. - Top - End - #603
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    That would just fan the flames. Especially if progress stalled due to some roadblock or other. Books like those are a massive undertaking, they take however long they take.Deciding that an author isn't writing because you see them doing something else is a faulty conclusion which has nothing to do with the author.

The contract is with the publisher, not the fanbase.
    When you see the author doing a billion other things besides writing, and then the next book takes 10 years to release, it's absolutely a fair assumption that he isn't spending enough time writing.

Obviously he doesn't legally owe anyone anything, but morally when you take someone's money to tell them a story, you have an obligation to actually tell the second half of the story as well instead of getting bored in the middle. He's basically taken enough of everyone's money for his story to live comfortably, and then decided not to fill the obligation. It's not illegal, but people have a right to criticize him. I say this as someone who doesn't even enjoy GoT and won't bother reading it even if he magically completes it.

Let's say I take your money to build your house with the agreement that you'll pay me in stages as I complete each step. Would you be happy if I just constructed the walls and decided I had enough money so I don't need to build your roof? I did everything I was paid to do...but you probably made the decision to pay me in the first place with the assumption I would actually try to finish the job.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2019-01-17 at 10:05 AM.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Again, I totally understand GRRM and Rothfuss doing it, and like Gaiman says, the author is not our bitch. But an occasional, honest update would go far to foster some goodwill. Even if it is just the occasional tweet saying "book still with editor, hang on a while longer". Or whatever.
    GRRM tried that a while back and turned out to be wildly wrong on his estimate, so decided to never do that again.

The problem, it seems to me, is that his story has gotten wildly more complex the more he's written, and he's having a hard time keeping everything together cohesively, which kills his ability to determine how much writing/editing/re-writing he really has ahead of him.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    GRRM tried that a while back and turned out to be wildly wrong on his estimate, so decided to never do that again.

The problem, it seems to me, is that his story has gotten wildly more complex the more he's written, and he's having a hard time keeping everything together cohesively, which kills his ability to determine how much writing/editing/re-writing he really has ahead of him.
    50 odd competing characters and motivations will do that. See also: The Wheel of Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

6. - Top - End - #606
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    50 odd competing characters and motivations will do that. See also: The Wheel of Time
    Ah, but the Wheel of Time went from 1990 to 2005 with twelve books, and then three more in the 2009 to 2013 bracket after Jordan died. While A Song of Ice and Fire has been 1996 to 2019 with five (last in 2011).

Last edited by Misery Esquire; 2019-01-17 at 08:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #607

PirateGuy

This is why I'm lucky to be a Sanderson fan. When he gets tired of writing he takes a break to write something else.
    Now with half the calories!

8. - Top - End - #608
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    This is why I'm lucky to be a Sanderson fan. When he gets tired of writing he takes a break to write something else.
    A Fanderson, if you will

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Something to keep us going in between updates:

Some details on the Wheel of Time adaptation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    Something to keep us going in between updates:

Some details on the Wheel of Time adaptation.
    Not having read the link yet it's gonna be awesome or utterly dreadful. There's never a just ok with these things.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

One of the comments on that link mentions that the actors are going to have pronounce all of Jordan's made-up words aloud... That's gonna be weird.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

12. - Top - End - #612

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Not having read the link yet it's gonna be awesome or utterly dreadful. There's never a just ok with these things.
    Either way it will be an enjoyable watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    One of the comments on that link mentions that the actors are going to have pronounce all of Jordan's made-up words aloud... That's gonna be weird.
    Seeing as how there's a pronunciation guide, hopefully we can avoid any Ong or Soak-ka situations. Curse you Shyamalan.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2019-01-28 at 10:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing as how there's a pronunciation guide, hopefully we can avoid any Ong or Soak-ka situations. Curse you Shamylan.
    But then you get things like Heavy Rain where Every. Last. Character. mispronounces Oragami of all things. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    But then you get things like Heavy Rain where Every. Last. Character. mispronounces Oragami of all things. We'll just have to wait and see.
    I've never played Heavy Rain so I don't know how they pronounce it there, but it's spelled and pronounced Origami. Just sayin'.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing as how there's a pronunciation guide, hopefully we can avoid any Ong or Soak-ka situations. Curse you Shyamalan.
    At least in this one they'll have the excuse that they're adapting written a written work. Shayamalan's source material literally said the names out loud HUNDREDS OF TIMES!!!!

17. - Top - End - #617
    Banned

There's already a great audio book of the Wheel of Time that gets everything right, so I don't think it should be a very big issue. It was a bit jarring to learn I'd been pronouncing things wrong in my head when I read though.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Again, I totally understand GRRM and Rothfuss doing it, and like Gaiman says, the author is not our bitch. But an occasional, honest update would go far to foster some goodwill. Even if it is just the occasional tweet saying "book still with editor, hang on a while longer". Or whatever.
    I thought that the interview/conversation they had with GRRM and Stephen King was illuminating in this regard. Different writers have both different approaches to writing and different experiences with it as well; it sounds like GRR has a kind of love-hate relationship with everything he writes. And I identify with that, but it makes for sloooooooooow progress.

(Viewed less charitably, King is a consummate professional who Puts. Words. Down. until he is done, while GRRM and - presumably - Rothfuss are prone to letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.)

19. - Top - End - #619
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    I thought that the interview/conversation they had with GRRM and Stephen King was illuminating in this regard. Different writers have both different approaches to writing and different experiences with it as well; it sounds like GRR has a kind of love-hate relationship with everything he writes. And I identify with that, but it makes for sloooooooooow progress.

(Viewed less charitably, King is a consummate professional who Puts. Words. Down. until he is done, while GRRM and - presumably - Rothfuss are prone to letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.)
    Meanwhile king has about 50x as many works to his name and even though they arent all huge money makers, enough of them are to show his style has some serious merit to it. Heck, if you added them together im sure his biggest hits outnumber everything martin has done. I loved the epic rap battle of history between him and edgar allen poe. One line sticks out
    Racks on racks cause I pen fat stacks of frightening writing
    Have you seen the pile?
    I can even take a break from my routine style
    Crank out a Shawshank or a Green Mile
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #620
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Meanwhile king has about 50x as many works to his name and even though they arent all huge money makers, enough of them are to show his style has some serious merit to it. Heck, if you added them together im sure his biggest hits outnumber everything martin has done. I loved the epic rap battle of history between him and edgar allen poe. One line sticks out
    It's hard to say. Martin is a giant in the industry, basically dwarfing all other fantasy. I remember reading a comparison once saying Rothfus, Sanderson, and Butcher had all sold similar numbers of books. Which is to say Rothfus' two books have sold about as much as the 20-30 of Sanderson and Butcher, and those two are fairly big names in the genre.

And both of them are basically dwarfed by asoiaf and Harry Potter.

... Which are in turn dwarfed by twilight.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    It's hard to say. Martin is a giant in the industry, basically dwarfing all other fantasy. I remember reading a comparison once saying Rothfus, Sanderson, and Butcher had all sold similar numbers of books. Which is to say Rothfus' two books have sold about as much as the 20-30 of Sanderson and Butcher, and those two are fairly big names in the genre.

And both of them are basically dwarfed by asoiaf and Harry Potter.

... Which are in turn dwarfed by twilight.
    Not an authoritative source or anything, but the Wikipedia article about fiction authors by total sales has Rowling at #9, King at #22, Tolkien at #41... and that's it from the folks in the conversation. Jordan and Martin both fall off the list - which starts at ~100 million copies sold - but only barely based on Googling their total sales, which apparently are in the 80-90 million range.

Looks like Rothfuss, Sanderson and Butcher are all apparently in tens-of-millions somewhere.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Not an authoritative source or anything, but the Wikipedia article about fiction authors by total sales has Rowling at #9, King at #22, Tolkien at #41... and that's it from the folks in the conversation. Jordan and Martin both fall off the list - which starts at ~100 million copies sold - but only barely based on Googling their total sales, which apparently are in the 80-90 million range.

Looks like Rothfuss, Sanderson and Butcher are all apparently in tens-of-millions somewhere.
    I doubt any of them are crying any tears over their book sales.

23. - Top - End - #623

DruidGuy

My personally opinion is that GRRM has basically lost interest in writing the series and would rather be doing other things. I could be wrong, but it is just a feeling I get from a few of the things he has said. I don't really have an interest in it one way or another - never watched GOT and got turned off the series in the first book given how depressing the whole thing was.

But this is a WOT thread.

It'd be interesting to see how the TV show goes (and not just to see them try to pronounce names that at times defy logic.) There is so many inner thoughts and inner info dumps throughout the books that I'm not sure how you could convey a lot of the story from the book. And I wonder what rating it will end up as - I know it doesn't have near as much raunch as GOT, but there is a lot more nudity in the book than I remembered.

I actually started a reread thanks to AES and this thread - when it first came out I was a big fan of the series but I burned out halfway through. I had bought the first nine books (with the Sweet covers) as they came out, but to my surprise found out that I'd only read the first six. 7, 8 and 9 had sat on the shelves unread for years.

I do not what happens in the rest of the series - I read the cliff notes when the series was finally done as I was interested in seeing how it ended.

I've just hit book 7 and I do think I know why I gave up in the first place.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it was the journey of Nynaeve and Elayne that drove me to it - the sheer arrogance and bitchiness of the duo on their journeys was not a fun read.

In fact the arrogance of a lot of the characters helped play a part of it, starting with Egwene, all of 18 years old, deciding that she knows better than anyone else, including the Dragon Reborn himself, on what Rand should be doing. And then there is Cadsuane who appears out of nowhere without a hint of her existence before, who takes arrogance to new levels.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    My personally opinion is that GRRM has basically lost interest in writing the series and would rather be doing other things. I could be wrong, but it is just a feeling I get from a few of the things he has said. I don't really have an interest in it one way or another - never watched GOT and got turned off the series in the first book given how depressing the whole thing was.

But this is a WOT thread.

It'd be interesting to see how the TV show goes (and not just to see them try to pronounce names that at times defy logic.) There is so many inner thoughts and inner info dumps throughout the books that I'm not sure how you could convey a lot of the story from the book. And I wonder what rating it will end up as - I know it doesn't have near as much raunch as GOT, but there is a lot more nudity in the book than I remembered.

I actually started a reread thanks to AES and this thread - when it first came out I was a big fan of the series but I burned out halfway through. I had bought the first nine books (with the Sweet covers) as they came out, but to my surprise found out that I'd only read the first six. 7, 8 and 9 had sat on the shelves unread for years.

I do not what happens in the rest of the series - I read the cliff notes when the series was finally done as I was interested in seeing how it ended.

I've just hit book 7 and I do think I know why I gave up in the first place.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it was the journey of Nynaeve and Elayne that drove me to it - the sheer arrogance and bitchiness of the duo on their journeys was not a fun read.

In fact the arrogance of a lot of the characters helped play a part of it, starting with Egwene, all of 18 years old, deciding that she knows better than anyone else, including the Dragon Reborn himself, on what Rand should be doing. And then there is Cadsuane who appears out of nowhere without a hint of her existence before, who takes arrogance to new levels.

Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, I just completely skip the Perrin and Elayne chapters whenever I re-read things. It makes things so much more bearable and you really don't miss much at all. Of course, it helps that I already know what happens in those chapters, but seriously, both of those portions are about 10X longer than they need to be. At least Perrin becomes relevant towards the end of the story. Elayne is basically a worthless character throughout. Egwene is another character that never stops being annoying, but her chapters are too important to skip.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Considering that the World of Ice and Fire had to cut out thousands of words of content because GRRM wrote way more for it than was required and he just released the first half of a history book that's longer than most novels I can't imagine this is true. I think TWOW is just a very complex and difficult book and he hits slumps and gets frustrated as we all do. I can tell you from personal experience that longform writing is very difficult, and my story isn't nearly as complex as ASoIaF. Not every writer can go on a week long cocaine bender and wake up with three published novels and no memory of how they got there. My hope is that writing Fire and Blood has invigorated him to get enthusiastic about TWOW and hopefully finish it.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Considering that the World of Ice and Fire had to cut out thousands of words of content because GRRM wrote way more for it than was required and he just released the first half of a history book that's longer than most novels I can't imagine this is true. I think TWOW is just a very complex and difficult book and he hits slumps and gets frustrated as we all do. I can tell you from personal experience that longform writing is very difficult, and my story isn't nearly as complex as ASoIaF. Not every writer can go on a week long cocaine bender and wake up with three published novels and no memory of how they got there. My hope is that writing Fire and Blood has invigorated him to get enthusiastic about TWOW and hopefully finish it.
    I agree that not every author can (or should) be like Sanderson and pound out 1,000 pages of crap in a weekend, but GRRM is definitely on the other extreme end of the spectrum. I don't know if he's bored of it or not, but 10 years for a single book is ridiculous by any measure if he's actually working on it. That's probably less than a sentence a day on average. I have a hard time believing that he's actually hard at work rather than getting bored of the story and invested in other products...such as a history book.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Colossus in the Playground

Its also probably got a lot to do with how complex and cemented his world building is as well. When you have such a deep world with such a well codified set of rules and behavior from your characters (The last part especially) it must get monumentally harder to write a story that goes where you want it to go while having it make sense. I wonder how many times grrm has gone "I want this character to go there, but I cant think of a reason that would make sense for them to head that way because of xyz!" With stories like harry potter that has all of 5 main characters and a bunch of supporting cast who basically only show up to cause whatever events rowling wanted, its a lot easier because you are only doing with the motivations and characters of the golden trio and the bad guy. Her world was so under developed that she can toss literal time travel into it halfway through and just handwave it away for the rest of the series and it works because it contradicts nothing else other than common sense which her magical world lacks anyways.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

Its certainly whats makes me appriciate Sanderson, for the ability to kick out a book about once per year in a at least sometimes even more complicated universe.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sanderson and King's books are the Tortuga of the literary world.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #630

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Sanderson and King's books are the Tortuga of the literary world.
    Full of pirates?

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight