New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 217181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Elayne thinks it's ironic that the High Lords hate the One Power now considering that their massive fortress was made with it, and Nynaeve very sensibly suggests that maybe now would be a good time to not talk about the One Power out in public so as not to attract attention to themselves. Elayne agrees with her which for some reason Egwene has a problem with. What, she's jealous that Elayne thought Nynaeve made a good point? I don't get it. Please tell me we're not going to get a platonic love triangle in Team Magikarp. That's just too much to bear.
    The Egwene/Nayneve relationship is still her being a Wisdom and Egwene being the kid, while she sees herself on the same level as Elayne. So the jealousy here is like when a kid's getting chewed out and one of their friends sides with the parent.
    Now with half the calories!

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: An Enemy Spy Reads The Wheel of Time III: Something's Fishy in the White Tower

She knows a thief-catcher named Juilin Sandar who she describes as the most dangerous man she knows with a sword, though not as dangerous as the actual most dangerous man she knows, who isn't a swordsman. I wonder who that is?
    You likely skipped a little to swiftly across this bit?
    Julian isnt a swordsman. As i recall in Tear the sword is a noble weapon.
    But Julian is the most dangerous man she knows all the same.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    ...ends it by establishing dominance...
    T-pose to assert dominance!
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #784
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, the endless fights for the pecking order are as amusing as they are stupid as they are annoying. Pretty much everyone does it to some extent. In fact, wasnt that one of the issues between the matt, perrin, rand dynamic in book 2? Things were changing, rand was being treated different, and they were getting annoyed with real or perceived or even a mix of the two, changes in how rand was acting like he was a noble or some such? But for the ladies, especially the magical girls, this is a way of life. Im pretty sure we see it off and on for everyone in the tower as they are all strong willed stubborn women who think they are right and therefore everyone arguing with them is wrong which leads to "subtle" power plays as one side or the other gets put down as lower ranking, weaker in the power, etc. "We will do it my way or I will feed you your feet and make you swallow" Seems like a strangely mannish way to settle disputes, but it seems to be the running theme, if not often openly stated that way.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #785
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah, the endless fights for the pecking order are as amusing as they are stupid as they are annoying. Pretty much everyone does it to some extent. In fact, wasnt that one of the issues between the matt, perrin, rand dynamic in book 2? Things were changing, rand was being treated different, and they were getting annoyed with real or perceived or even a mix of the two, changes in how rand was acting like he was a noble or some such? But for the ladies, especially the magical girls, this is a way of life. Im pretty sure we see it off and on for everyone in the tower as they are all strong willed stubborn women who think they are right and therefore everyone arguing with them is wrong which leads to "subtle" power plays as one side or the other gets put down as lower ranking, weaker in the power, etc. "We will do it my way or I will feed you your feet and make you swallow" Seems like a strangely mannish way to settle disputes, but it seems to be the running theme, if not often openly stated that way.
    Sorta, but that was more due to Rand purposefully trying to drive his friends away by pretending he thought he was too good for them than jealousy on their part.

6. - Top - End - #786

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Sorta, but that was more due to Rand purposefully trying to drive his friends away by pretending he thought he was too good for them than jealousy on their part.
    Werent they already thinking that so thats why he used it to drive them off? Maybe its a bit of a chicken or the egg there, I dunno. Its been awhile but iirc at the start of book 2 matt and perrin were spending more time with the stablemen and other such while rand was getting training from lan, and dressing better than they were and spending time with the higher ups for reasons I cant recall (probably morainne related) and so forth and they took that as rand acting like he felt he was a nobleman and when rand realized thats what they thought he used it to push them away in an attempt to protect them or whatever.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Werent they already thinking that so thats why he used it to drive them off? Maybe its a bit of a chicken or the egg there, I dunno. Its been awhile but iirc at the start of book 2 matt and perrin were spending more time with the stablemen and other such while rand was getting training from lan, and dressing better than they were and spending time with the higher ups for reasons I cant recall (probably morainne related) and so forth and they took that as rand acting like he felt he was a nobleman and when rand realized thats what they thought he used it to push them away in an attempt to protect them or whatever.
    Yup Moraine all the way. Stole all his clothes even. Mat&Perrin didn't take it too well. And Rand embraced that when he realised he could channel and that he was being shepherded for Dragonhood. No one shepherds the sheep herder.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

Would be nice to get a chapter or two where Rand actually gets to herd sheep.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: very slight spoiler
    Show
    He has many where he has to herd "Human Sheep", dont worry ^^

A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Yup Moraine all the way. Stole all his clothes even. Mat&Perrin didn't take it too well. And Rand embraced that when he realised he could channel and that he was being shepherded for Dragonhood. No one shepherds the sheep herder.
    Perrin is a lot kinder about it then Mat, who basically treats Rand like a leper for
    Spoiler
    Show
    the entire series.

On the petty infighting: I think that is Jordan's best trait. Everyone feels like a real person instead of a heroic archetype; even Lan is irritable and opinionated by the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Perrin is a lot kinder about it then Mat, who basically treats Rand like a leper for
    Spoiler
    Show
    the entire series.

On the petty infighting: I think that is Jordan's best trait. Everyone feels like a real person instead of a heroic archetype; even Lan is irritable and opinionated by the end.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In fairness, I'm not sure how much of that is aimed at Rand so much as part of his general attitude of "destiny can't tell me what to do!" that he has for most of the series until destiny beats it into his skull that it'll go a lot smoother if he stops pretending he's not a main character. Rand is sort of a walking reminder of the forces of destiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #792

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    In fairness, I'm not sure how much of that is aimed at Rand so much as part of his general attitude of "destiny can't tell me what to do!" that he has for most of the series until destiny beats it into his skull that it'll go a lot smoother if he stops pretending he's not a main character. Rand is sort of a walking reminder of the forces of destiny.
    I agree with you completely.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I still say the formation of the band of the red hand is the funniest example of how no matter how hard he tries, he cant escape. He goes from "Eff this, im not fighting in the battle, peace out losers." To, "Well, i cant just leave these guys to die in ambush, I will warn them then take off." To "Ok battalion I have rescued piece by piece and for some gods foresaken reason thinks im in charge, lets attack this band of bad guys (and maybe I can make my escape in the confusion) CHARGE!!!" To, "dangit, ok I may be in charge, but im going to be really surly about it."

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

For being, in his own way, far, far more dangerous to anyone around him than an entire colony of lepers.. ?
    Something that Mat has been taught his entire life. And that also happens to be true.. ?

14. - Top - End - #794
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    For being, in his own way, far, far more dangerous to anyone around him than an entire colony of lepers.. ?
    Something that Mat has been taught his entire life. And that also happens to be true.. ?
    Not to mention
    Spoiler
    Show
    being literally insane, and constantly ordering Mat into life threatening situations he doesn't want to be in. I'm pretty sure most of us would stop hanging out with people for less.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Thats not even a spolier?
    We have been told directly that men who can channel goes insane. Thats people who can uproot a tree with their mind.
    Not like anyone would sit besides a drunk elephant either?

16. - Top - End - #796
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    It's been stated already that all men who channel go insane, yes, but the time scale varies and how quickly it happens to Rand, specifically, is still a spoiler.

"Uproot a tree"? The Breaking of the World wasn't done by men who could uproot trees. Well, technically they could, but it's not an accurate indication of their power. Lews Therin pierced the Earth's crust, causing a whole new volcano to form from nothing and grow to immense height in an area not otherwise tectonically active. That's a level of destructive power that makes fusion bombs seem weak.

He was the strongest of them all, and even for him it took an effort so great that it killed him, but that just means the more typical high-end male channeler threat is merely on par with atomic weapons. Reusable atomic weapons that can't be detected before they go off and are wielded by crazy people.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Spoiler: very slight spoiler
    Show
    He has many where he has to herd "Human Sheep", dont worry ^^

That's more like herding cats though.

Not like anyone would sit besides a drunk elephant either?
    Drunk elephants make great buddies. Always got the trunk full of beer to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Perrin is a lot kinder about it then Mat, who basically treats Rand like a leper.
    Rand stuck to Mat while *Mat* was the menace to society and going mad. If I wanted to be charitable I guess Rand's situation kinda reminds Mat of that unpleasant time.

Perrin takes it more in his stride. Basically, Mat is a bit of a rooster at this point.

That the characters have varied and for them appropriate reactions ofc is one of the greatest strengths of the series.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-06-17 at 03:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

"Uproot a tree"? The Breaking of the World wasn't done by men who could uproot trees. Well, technically they could, but it's not an accurate indication of their power. Lews Therin pierced the Earth's crust, causing a whole new volcano to form from nothing and grow to immense height in an area not otherwise tectonically active. That's a level of destructive power that makes fusion bombs seem weak.
    An accurate indication of their power is kinda irellevant for Mat.
    When you move past the level of force that pulls him apart without efford, then i doubt he care about just how easily he were killed..

19. - Top - End - #799

An accurate indication of their power is kinda irellevant for Mat.
    When you move past the level of force that pulls him apart without efford, then i doubt he care about just how easily he were killed..
    Exactly, reduced to dust is still reduced to dust. It doesnt matter how fine that dust is, you are still dead.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Rand stuck to Mat while *Mat* was the menace to society and going mad. If I wanted to be charitable I guess Rand's situation kinda reminds Mat of that unpleasant time.

Perrin takes it more in his stride. Basically, Mat is a bit of a rooster at this point.

That the characters have varied and for them appropriate reactions ofc is one of the greatest strengths of the series.
    That's true. Mat was dying though, and I'm sure if the situation was reversed Mat would have done the same thing for Rand. He would have just grumbled and proclaimed that he wasn't going to do so while he did it. Sorta like he already does.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

That's true. Mat was dying though, and I'm sure if the situation was reversed Mat would have done the same thing for Rand. He would have just grumbled and proclaimed that he wasn't going to do so while he did it. Sorta like he already does.
    This series does consistently model the idea that actions matter more than words. A large majority of the heroic characters grumble or complain or straight up say they will not do something (it's not my business, I don't owe them anything, they got themselves into this, etc) and then go ahead and do the right thing even at a cost to themselves.

Conversely, a lot of the villains talk a big game about their own virtue or good intentions while committing terrible deeds. Arguably, the delta between 'stated intentions' and 'actual outcomes' is the best metric for how good or bad someone in this series is.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    Good choice. She's got that ageless look that pierces into your soul down pat.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Banned

She's a good choice, but I still think the WoT is too high magic to ever do a proper live action of. You could maybe do the first few books, but eventually there just won't be the budget to do it justice.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

I really wonder how they're going to handle the One Power in the show. Like, early on when Moiraine is using the One Power will it just be the effect shown and they start incorporating visual elements of the Power itself as the characters learn to use it/see it? The difference in perception between characters who can channel and those that can't could be hard to get across - showing how much of a rush the channeller feels when embracing the True Source compared to what nearby muggles would see (i.e. no difference) could be tricky.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    I really wonder how they're going to handle the One Power in the show. Like, early on when Moiraine is using the One Power will it just be the effect shown and they start incorporating visual elements of the Power itself as the characters learn to use it/see it? The difference in perception between characters who can channel and those that can't could be hard to get across - showing how much of a rush the channeller feels when embracing the True Source compared to what nearby muggles would see (i.e. no difference) could be tricky.
    I would just do it like normal, except maybe a handful of scenes from the character's point of view...maybe when they're just learning to channel? Otherwise ignore it and treat it like magic in any other series. It's not the kind of thing that would translate well to live television in my opinion.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ettin in the Playground

I would have it be from the perspective of whoever the scene is focused on. The series is going to have to do a rotating POV unless they want to make far greater changes than implied.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

She's a good choice, but I still think the WoT is too high magic to ever do a proper live action of. You could maybe do the first few books, but eventually there just won't be the budget to do it justice.
    My concern is less the budget and more that the series is so long, there's no way in hell they're going to cover the whole thing. Either the series will be a severely abridged version of the story, or it will be cancelled, or actors will leave before it's ended.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ettin in the Playground

While long, the series isn't as long as it might seem. A big part of the length is description of scenery, mannerisms, and tone of voice - all of which take up very little screen time compared to what they take up on the page. Granted, there will also be elements that take up more screen time than page time, but these are almost certainly a smaller part of the work. They'll certainly need some judicious trimming, but not as much as you would expect.

Spoiler
    Show
    So many of the characters spend so much time dead or out of focus that the actor problem is also going to be less. Rand, Perrin, Mat, and Magikarp are the only ones I can think of that absolutely need to be present for the whole thing.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Banned

The ending we already got was basically the abridged ending. I don't mind if they have to change some things to make it work because honestly the end wasn't that great anyway. Sanderson took a LOT of liberties with the characters and setting. I'm not saying he didn't do his best, and I know it was a lot to ask, but the end could certainly have been better.