New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Post [D&D 3.5] Undead Paladin.

Hi again!

Long story short, I'm creating a paladin who, facing a plague he couldn't stop, decided to become a necropolitan in order to comply his oath for the eternity (in particular, defend a tomb and an important artifact).

Would he become an ex-paladin even though he sacrified his own life for the greater good? If not... would he channel positive or negative energy, being undead? I like to imagine an undead paladin channeling positive energy while smiting foes, and suffering himself for his inner holy light.

Do you think this goes too far from the basic rules? Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Undead Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRageee View Post
    Hi again!

Long story short, I'm creating a paladin who, facing a plague he couldn't stop, decided to become a necropolitan in order to comply his oath for the eternity (in particular, defend a tomb and an important artifact).

Would he become an ex-paladin even though he sacrified his own life for the greater good? If not... would he channel positive or negative energy, being undead? I like to imagine an undead paladin channeling positive energy while smiting foes, and suffering himself for his inner holy light.

Do you think this goes too far from the basic rules? Thanks!
    Nope.

Necropolitan doesn't impose an alignment change, and there's no rule against turning undead in the paladin code.

There is nothing inherently Evil about being undead.

If you're talking about playing 3.5 and are playing a normal paladin, he keeps turning undead. if you're talking about pathfinder, I have no idea. tag the thread with "pathfinder" and psyren or someone else will come help you.

Sounds like a fun concept. Check out the bone knight prestige class from five nations, it might be a good thematic fit.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [D&D 3.5] Undead Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Nope.

Necropolitan doesn't impose an alignment change, and there's no rule against turning undead in the paladin code.

There is nothing inherently Evil about being undead.

If you're talking about playing 3.5 and are playing a normal paladin, he keeps turning undead. if you're talking about pathfinder, I have no idea. tag the thread with "pathfinder" and psyren or someone else will come help you.

Sounds like a fun concept. Check out the bone knight prestige class from five nations, it might be a good thematic fit.
    Thanks for your answer! Yes, I play 3.5.
    And thanks for the tip, tbh I didn't remember the Bone Knight PC. I'll use the Tomb Warden PC from Libris Mortis, aswell. :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: [D&D 3.5] Undead Paladin.

I'd check with the DM: the process involved in becoming a Necropolitan (Ritual of Crucimigration) involves cursed nails, two or three zombies (NE), and calling forth the name of evil powers and gods.

This isn't going to sit well with most LG Paladins.

Of course, the DM could re-fluff the ritual, or create a Deathless version of the Necropolitan.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Being undead isn't intrinsically evil. However, animating any form of undead is. There's no exception made for that undead animated being yourself. It's a minor evil, so nobody but those with the absolutely most stringent alignment requirements will care, though (IIRC, one of the Fiendish Compendiums puts it on the same level as 'humiliating an underling'). Unfortunately, the Paladin code is one of those. Fortunately, Atonement specifically allows you to restore paladinhood after losing it for committing an evil act.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I'd check with the DM: the process involved in becoming a Necropolitan (Ritual of Crucimigration) involves cursed nails, two or three zombies (NE), and calling forth the name of evil powers and gods.

This isn't going to sit well with most LG Paladins.

Of course, the DM could re-fluff the ritual, or create a Deathless version of the Necropolitan.
    I forgot to specify: I am the DM! I was doubtful about the Ritual of Crucimigration. I would modify the ritual somehow. He could have damned the good gods for having no help to save his people, and he could have embraced the non-life due to his hatred and sense of abandonment (although he still wants to honor his oath).
    Also, I'd use a different template for the paladin, similiar to the Grey Paladins from PF, or just a lawful-neutral paladin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Being undead isn't intrinsically evil. However, animating any form of undead is. There's no exception made for that undead animated being yourself. It's a minor evil, so nobody but those with the absolutely most stringent alignment requirements will care, though (IIRC, one of the Fiendish Compendiums puts it on the same level as 'humiliating an underling'). Unfortunately, the Paladin code is one of those. Fortunately, Atonement specifically allows you to restore paladinhood after losing it for committing an evil act.
    So he could have been Atoned for his evil act? That's good. Thanks! :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Animating undead is considered evil because you are torturing someone else's soul in the process. If you are animating yourself as an undead, you are not torturing anyone else, so that might not be considered evil.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Iirc atonement only works if the evil act was unintentional.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Iirc atonement only works if the evil act was unintentional.
    Nah, it simply has an XP cost of 500 if it was intentional.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I love this idea.

It's even better if the Paladin was re-animated by someone who thought they were doing a good thing, but the process is technically [Evil] even if the product is unquestionably Good.

This leaves the Paladin in a morally questionable state. Why is the product of [Evil] provably Good? Has Necromancy gotten a bad rap? (Yes, but it's mostly deserved.)

Perhaps a crisis of faith / global religious schism / protestation of the faithful is in order.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hi you may find interresting the history of Miltiades, in the Forgotten Realms settings, who is an undead Paladin, it may be a good point to start..

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah, it simply has an XP cost of 500 if it was intentional.
    You have to actually be serious about repenting though. You wouldnt craft a soul into a super rad evil magic item and then "atone" for it and keep walking around with it.

LM says undead are walking bad juju for...reasons. So most paladins sre probably going to want you destroyed.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2017-11-16 at 10:48 PM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    You have to actually be serious about repenting though. You wouldn't craft a soul into a super rad evil magic item and then "atone" for it and keep walking around with it.

LM says undead are walking bad juju for...reasons. So most paladins are probably going to want you destroyed.
    I'd concur. Any sincere attempt at atonement should be coupled with a serious attempt at getting into a body that isn't powered by the tears of little children screaming in agony.

Apparently though, undead paladins have been written up in various campaign books though, which suggests my understanding of what paladins are allowed to do is flawed; or possibly that negative energy doesn't work the way I think it does; or far more likely, WotC doesn't read it's own verbiage for internal consistency.

(Of course, imc I do away with paladins as champions of goodness entirely, and re-make them as champions of $deity instead. That changes the question from "are undead inherently evil?" to "Is $deity cool with the undead?" That's a lot easier to answer.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eldskald View Post
    Animating undead is considered evil because you are torturing someone else's soul in the process. If you are animating yourself as an undead, you are not torturing anyone else, so that might not be considered evil.
    I disagree. Take the animation of zombies: doubtless an example of creating undead, but not affecting the soul in any way.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

I'm gonna echo Thurbane's words and perhaps consider some sort of event and make him Deathless instead of Undead? Instead of using a ritual himself, maybe the Paladin was raised as a Deathless by his deity after he sacrificed himself for the good of the people?
    Homebrew:
    The inFAMOUS Conduit base class. Wow I actually finished it...
    The Darksiders base class, based on the videogame with the same name.

I also draw some stuff here, Gamespectre on Deviantart

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Good gods do not randomly make people deathless.
    Clerics however do that with the Create Deathless spell(and it is not even evil)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Book of Exalteds has the Prestige class Risen Martyr. It's designed specifically for a character that suffered martyrdom. It seems to fit!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    I disagree. Take the animation of zombies: doubtless an example of creating undead, but not affecting the soul in any way.
    Yeah the "souls" thing is a bit of a leap.

Creating undead is [Evil] because the creation of undead slaves is an evil boss trope.

This paladin isn't a slave. The people who create Necropolitans aren't an evil boss. Necropolitan has the trappings of evil, but not the central justification.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yondu View Post
    Hi you may find interresting the history of Miltiades, in the Forgotten Realms settings, who is an undead Paladin, it may be a good point to start..
    Miltiades was described as having no paladin powers, at one point, if I remember rightly. Still, he was very LG despite his undeadness.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

You try using the deathless type from the Eberron Setting. They are powered by positive energy and are healed by positive energy.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [D&D 3.5] Undead Paladin.

Thanks to all. I decided to apply the Deathless type, the closest to what I was looking for. Have a good one! :)