New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I kind of agree, but I like the wide open world with the space between things giving the space to maneuver around the encounters and engage how you want. Try that in Fallout 4, you get shot in the back by the next group right beside you.
    That's fine when you're out in the wasteland, but as soon as you get to the city in FO3 everything's split up into separate (and rather small) load cells that you have to travel between using the subway system. FO4 did a better job of the city than FO3 did, because FO4's cities and towns are still completely open areas, just with buildings around the place.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think Fallout 4's map design is spectacular. I would not prefer a more sparse layout, I don't see any merit just padding out the landscape with non-interactive land and vegetation. Such a layout would get repetitive and unpleasant in a hurry, and even now I find myself doing tons of jogging in my survival game. Your first jog down the banks of the charles is pretty cool, but your 400th? Ugh.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

I still enjoy jogging around the wastes, but I've also come to the realization, that I only need to have the sprint assist in my power armor, and I can beat a vertibird from the bunker in the Glowing Sea to Greentop Nursery to defend it from attack. IE it's faster to run than wait on a vertibird and fly.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

Forested? Or open range?

Spoiler: Spoilered for length
    Show
    Forested hills, open glacial valley. The cabin was in the middle at the bottom of the valley.

There was a native american lookout point that overlooked the entire valley.

Also there was an old 2 story house with an attic and root cellar from the 50's up on top of the hill at the head of the valley. There was a 100' hand dug well with a rotting cover and an abandoned apple grove there too.

The western hills had some fields up top too but we werent allowed up there on account of the heavily armed crazy old guy.

Cattle farm to the north. Hog farm then a main road to the east. West was wilderness then eventually the abandoned canal. South was the junkyard then the family who owned the junkyard's houses then the main road.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    I think Fallout 4's map design is spectacular. I would not prefer a more sparse layout, I don't see any merit just padding out the landscape with non-interactive land and vegetation. Such a layout would get repetitive and unpleasant in a hurry, and even now I find myself doing tons of jogging in my survival game. Your first jog down the banks of the charles is pretty cool, but your 400th? Ugh.
    It occurs to me that, at least for real world meandering, the more one knows about the environment one is exploring the more rewarded one's curiosity can be.

Fallout's generated environment pales in comparison to exploring a real 3D wilderness but even still, finding the best kiting paths, the best vistas and vantage points, the easter eggs, and the hidden gags is still fun. And honestly FO3 has enough content that reexploring is still fun because I forget about and rediscover enough to still be enjoyable.

FO4, not so much.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

I've only played Fallout 4, when I first tried it wasn't all that fun, I've gotten back into it recently and its more fun with mods like making me not needing to recharge or repair my power armor, mods to give me 40k space marine power armor, give me katanas, make ammo myself, that sort of thing.

though to be honest, I am at a loss as to how I am supposed to fix all these minutemen settlements I have without the leadership perk to share resources (I'm playing a low charisma build to get all the crafty stuff). I think I'll just find a mod to do something about that.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    It occurs to me that, at least for real world meandering, the more one knows about the environment one is exploring the more rewarded one's curiosity can be.

Fallout's generated environment pales in comparison to exploring a real 3D wilderness but even still, finding the best kiting paths, the best vistas and vantage points, the easter eggs, and the hidden gags is still fun. And honestly FO3 has enough content that reexploring is still fun because I forget about and rediscover enough to still be enjoyable.

FO4, not so much.
    Well, sure, that's because reality operates at a much higher level of resolution and interactivity than any simulation can. I'm afraid if you're expecting a game to hold a candle to reality, you're going to be disappointed for a while yet.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

I know it's just me. But removing the need to charge or repair power armor feels like cheating to me. Of course those have never been mechanics that bothered me.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Despite the clear and irrefutable inferiority of Fallout 3

Does anyone have any recommendations for texture packs?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Fellout is the essential pack for Fallout 3. For Fallout 4, I was using Darker Nights, Patch Job, Paint That House, Cleaner Vault Glass and F4ECC.
    Last edited by Caelestion; 2018-02-09 at 04:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Banned

I know it's just me. But removing the need to charge or repair power armor feels like cheating to me. Of course those have never been mechanics that bothered me.
    I strike a middle ground with myself where I won't remove things like that when the materials are actually scarce, but once it transitions to meaningless busywork I phase it out.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I strike a middle ground with myself where I won't remove things like that when the materials are actually scarce, but once it transitions to meaningless busywork I phase it out.
    Me, I just find upkeeping the power armor to not be very fun in general. I mean sure its a balancing mechanism, but against WHOM? Its not as if I'm playing against anyone. that single mod to phase out power armor upkeep is whats allowing me to actually play Fallout 4 and find it fun rather than just work because I'm this badass just going around using my melees to smash face in.

but then again I'm the kind of person who took luck perks to get more ammo and caps, as well as make mods to make more ammo, then proceed to use mostly melee weapons anyways to conserve ammo so I can use it when I feel like I need to or want to. So I'm kind of already not in this for the simulation of it, I'm here to be a hero and kick ass using technology, because in Skyrim you can't kill people with power fists and lasers and in fallout you can.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

For me it's self-defending. Because it breaks, you lose the benefits of the armor mods you have attached. But at the same time I work from a home base, so returning to dump off loot, and repair my armor or mod my weapons. So there's no extra onus for me.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Me, I just find upkeeping the power armor to not be very fun in general. I mean sure its a balancing mechanism, but against WHOM? Its not as if I'm playing against anyone. that single mod to phase out power armor upkeep is whats allowing me to actually play Fallout 4 and find it fun rather than just work because I'm this badass just going around using my melees to smash face in.

but then again I'm the kind of person who took luck perks to get more ammo and caps, as well as make mods to make more ammo, then proceed to use mostly melee weapons anyways to conserve ammo so I can use it when I feel like I need to or want to. So I'm kind of already not in this for the simulation of it, I'm here to be a hero and kick ass using technology, because in Skyrim you can't kill people with power fists and lasers and in fallout you can.
    That's fair, but to me I enjoy it when I have to work to actually become that badass. It's about the journey. I usually get pretty bored after I actually get to the point where my character is all powerful. Especially in games like Fallout 4 that don't really have much of a plot to keep me invested.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

That's fair, but to me I enjoy it when I have to work to actually become that badass. It's about the journey. I usually get pretty bored after I actually get to the point where my character is all powerful. Especially in games like Fallout 4 that don't really have much of a plot to keep me invested.
    Eh, I have Dark Souls 3 if I wanted to care about earning my badassery. Beat that game and its dlc with deprived, so....yeah. maybe I'll go back to it someday to just finally make my deprived character an all-powerful badass at all forms of magic, rather than just the current thing where they're just good at all forms of weapons and armor. maybe I'll someday care enough to get Bloodborne or Monster Hunter World when it comes to PC. but for now....

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

I never could get a handle on enjoying Dark Souls. Even going in with the Dwarf Fortress Losing is Fun mindset.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I never could get a handle on enjoying Dark Souls. Even going in with the Dwarf Fortress Losing is Fun mindset.
    I've never played it, because I know for a fact I will hate any game that forces me to play through the preamble to the boss fight because I failed at the boss fight itself. If they let me save immediately prior to facing the boss...well, even then if I'm truthful I know I'd probably attempt it 2 or 3 times and then quit for good, so what's the point of paying for a game I know I won't play for long?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

I've found my last few characters I have way more fun if I just console my key skills to max and start playing that way. Almost every skill in Skyrim and all other Elder Scrolls games is pure grind; you can't reliably level any of them in normal play so you end up just spamming Soul Trap on a corpse for cheap EXP anyway. Just cut out the middle man and have fun.

I do have combat mods (currently: Wildcat) that keep things challenging and engaging. My current dude is a mace and board Paladin in Ordinator, so I have a tradeoff between "Get hit and be staggered into oblivion" and "Timed blocks make me invincible as long as I don't **** up".

Re: Dark Souls: the games aren't really that difficult...as long as you're patient, observant, and wary. Almost every "cheap death" in a Dark Souls game is a punishment for rushing ahead without thinking.

The bosses, admittedly, are a bit trial and error, but getting BACK to them isn't an issue once you're aware of enemy tricks.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-02-10 at 05:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

well to me, its all about how some guys are designed for different things.

Fallout 4 is meant to be modded however you want so you can have fun however you want, its a type of relaxation, the fun of doing it your way. when I go into it, its knowing that its safe. its a sandbox after all.

Dark Souls 3 is meant to be a nintendo hard rpg challenging you to get good, to explore around and earn the lore for you to enjoy. I go into it knowing that its not safe. its not about "losing is fun", because its all about trying again and again to win.

if I really want to earn a victory, I don't do it in a game where my effectiveness is pretty much already determined before the battle even starts. there is no skill in Fallout 4's combat system, just hitting things with your gun or melee weapon while having good defenses and heals.

Dark Souls 3 is where you have to earn your victory with every fight, where you can't rely on having good equips and unlimited healing to win. estus chugging just leaves you open to getting killed.

quite simply, I personally enjoy challenging game experiences specifically from games designed for it, and non-challenging game experiences when there doesn't seem to much point to challenging oneself anyways. I could never play a nuzlocke for example, simply because pokemon isn't designed for it and don't see the need to try it like that.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Just realized I posted about my Skyrim stuff in the Fallout thread. Whoops.

Point still stands.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

For one we have a different opinion of how to play Skyrim without being able to boost your primary skills to level up. On the other hand, I've found that with with Ordinator you get very strong very quick.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

For one we have a different opinion of how to play Skyrim without being able to boost your primary skills to level up. On the other hand, I've found that with with Ordinator you get very strong very quick.
    Some skills raise naturally, it's true. Your primary combat skills (One/Two-handed, Archery, Destruction) and your armor skills (Light, Heavy, and Alteration) advance very quickly.

But for stuff like Restoration, any of the crafting skills (especially), Illusion, Lockpicking, Speech, Block, etc. you either take forever (since Restoration, for example, only gets a lot of EXP if you're near death when you cast your spell, and Illusion is a slog unless you spam grind Muffle since most of its default Novice/Apprentice spells are ineffective against all but the weakest fodder) with the skills falling well behind the easier to level ones...or you stop in the middle of a Flames trap and tape down your trigger button on Healing or something.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Wildcat means I get a LOT of use out of Restoration and Apocalypse has some spells that don't rely on you being injured to cast. And also Oncato's Recital which refreshes spells the moment you get into combat, counts as a full casting, which helps immensely with raising a lot of those hard skills.

Upshot, I was able to record New Vegas with sound, for no discernable reason. Nothing changed between attempts, but now it works and then it didn't. Go figure.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Dark Souls 3 is meant to be a nintendo hard rpg challenging you to get good, to explore around and earn the lore for you to enjoy. I go into it knowing that its not safe. its not about "losing is fun", because its all about trying again and again to win.
    Honestly I feel Dark Souls 3 is a good mix between a hard but fair game and a well implemented coop game. I always enjoyed fighting the bosses with random human summons. The usual From Software boss strategy of running into the wall that represents the boss is not very popular with me.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 I enjoy for the freedom of character development. You can be exclusively a mage or a demolitions expert. You can avoid combat all together and be a charmer (though the latter has suffered in the newer installments). While in Dark Souls even the most arcane of mages still regularly wields a melee weapon. But out of both systems I prefer Fallout's experience system more than Skyrim's leveling up of individual skills by use.

If I want to shore up my defenses on a very offensive character I can do so (e.g. with Science and Power Armor). In Skyrim I would have to wear heavy armor for an extended amount of time or smith enough iron daggers to blot out the sun before my heavy armor skills would improve.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone linked Fallout 4: New Vegas project yet? Pretty damn cool, although still alpha and not playable yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

I linked a preview video but that's it.

Iron daggers no longer work. That was an exploit anyway. Now value determines the XP increase so it's much easier to level by making valuable gear. Now the trick is Jewelry to Dwemer, then lots of Dwemer gear because even small Dwemer areas net you tons of ingots.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I linked a preview video but that's it.

Iron daggers no longer work. That was an exploit anyway. Now value determines the XP increase so it's much easier to level by making valuable gear. Now the trick is Jewelry to Dwemer, then lots of Dwemer gear because even small Dwemer areas net you tons of ingots.
    You can also stick to jewelry, since you'll often get Transmute Ore early on, and after that any of Skyrim's numerous iron mines are literally good as gold... if you're willing to put the Magicka into it.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

I could, but I find it easier to make a circuit of the various mines and then Smith up to Dwemer, and then boom, I can make proper armor to adventure with.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks! THANK YOU A LOT! Now I realize why my current characters cannot level smithing for the life of me. Brb, drowning another 50+ hours into a new heavy armor using blacksmith character.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Spamalot in the Playground

I had to back out and check to make sure I clicked on the Fallout thread and not Elders Scroll.

Alright, so I'm about ready to complete my first New Vegas run (finally) for the NCR. Then I want to actually give the survivor mode a try, and attempt to record an LP of it. Seeing that I've been watching LPs from several of you, only fair I try it to give you something to laugh at. And since I never played survivor mode, it'll be interesting to have to keep track of food/water/sleep. The first two shouldn't be hard. food is plentiful. Sleep though...
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2018-02-12 at 09:24 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Thinking of starting a playthru as a robotics specialist. The problem is that I have to be a hell of a fighter to get far enough to build robots that can fight for me.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"