New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Questions About the Elemental Familiar Spell

If you cast the Elemental Familiar spell on a creature with class levels, does it retain those class levels? Does it lose any RHD or LA that it had before, replacing them with the LA and RHD of a tiny elemental (potentially making a PC unplayable due to having no LA)?

Note that the Elemental Familiar spell DOESN'T need to be CAST on a familiar, but it does require that you HAVE a familiar. The "Target:" line of the spell says "Living creature touched", and the spell says that the "target creature" becomes an elemental.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Questions About the Elemental Familiar Spell

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    If you cast the Elemental Familiar spell on a creature with class levels, does it retain those class levels? Does it lose any RHD or LA that it had before, replacing them with the LA and RHD of a tiny elemental (potentially making a PC unplayable due to having no LA)?

Note that the Elemental Familiar spell DOESN'T need to be CAST on a familiar, but it does require that you HAVE a familiar. The "Target:" line of the spell says "Living creature touched", and the spell says that the "target creature" becomes an elemental.
    While the table/quick info of the spell only requires a "living creature touched", the text later makes it obvious that it only works on familiars:

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental Familiar
    Only a limited wish, miracle, or wish or similar magic can restore a transmuted familiar to its original state.
    Sure, in a 100% RAW game you could still argue with the DM, but even than I don't think it will be easy to convince the DM.

edit: about template & classlvls on the familiar
    I think they would stay, if your familiar has access to any of those. The spell (specific) replaces the basic familar (general rule). Templates & classlvl are also specific things that you apply to the general creature, so they should stay imho.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    While the table/quick info of the spell only requires a "living creature touched", the text later makes it obvious that it only works on familiars:
    To me, that quote just means that if you happen to cast the spell on a familiar, it can be reversed by one of those methods.

For now, to avoid further argument, let's just assume that the spell CAN be cast on and affect non-familiar creatures. What (exactly) happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

For now, to avoid further argument, let's just assume that the spell CAN be cast on and affect non-familiar creatures. What (exactly) happens?
    DM takes away your web privileges.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

To me, that quote just means that if you happen to cast the spell on a familiar, it can be reversed by one of those methods.

If you somehow managed to get this off on a non familiar target (since you assume 100% RAW DM), there would be still oddities within the effect.
    The target may apply his SR and try to roll a Save. If he is willing or failed, he would be stuck into the form/element you chosen.
    But since the removal limitation (whish, miracle..) is only limiting a targeted/affected familiar, any other target could get it off with a simple Dispel Magic attempt.

But on the other hand, I agree with Nifft, you lost your web privilege ^^

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

I assume you just replace the base creature's stat block with the stat block presented for the elemental in question. Class levels wouldn't be affected, but racial traits and abilities would be. There's no listed LA, so it might be problematic to cast it on a PC or cohort, and your DM might assign you a new LA from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    But since the removal limitation (whish, miracle..) is only limiting a targeted/affected familiar, any other target could get it off with a simple Dispel Magic attempt.
    Its duration is instantaneous, so it's not subject to dispel magic.

But, I agree with your other point: by RAI, this was only supposed to apply to your own familiar. In my opinion, it seems like the purpose of this spell would have been better served by just making Tiny elemental an option on the familiar list (Small elementals are already available at 5th level through the Improved Familiar feat, so it's not that much of a stretch). Making it a spell doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2017-12-07 at 12:53 PM.