New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 3.5 Homebrew IC

1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Homebrew IC

OOC: Take your time. :)
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Found it, in a stupid place, just like I said. I really have no idea how it got there, or why. Anyway, back to the death and destruction.

IC: Before you is a roughly square clearing about 30 yards to a side. In the middle is a small camp fire and two unoccupied bedrolls. Standing next to this fire is a large angry man who is currently drawing a bow. Farther back in the corner of the clearing is another angry man with a bow who stands next to a tarp. You can see that the tarp is covering something, but not what that something is.

The party members were able to dodge the net, but mules are not quite as quick on there feet. Next to Zadreck and Canran is a roiling mass of rope and hooves.

Canran is able to act the fastest, having quickly recovered from avoiding the net. However, Zadreck seems to have been a bit dazed by the near miss.

OOC: Initiative is as follows :Canran, Nevar, Eranti, Bandits, Zadreck
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Canran

Though he would prefer to run, Canran stands his ground and knocks an arrow, agily aiming his goblin-sized longbow at the bow-drawing bandit. "Drop it!" he warns the man in a loud, high voice. "You can be friends with me, or with my arrow. Put down the bow!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying an attack against the man drawing his bow, to be released if he knocks an arrow to fire. Attack - (1d20+5)[10], Damage - (1d6-1)[1]. Considering how badly those rolls came out, Canran would much rather not have to fire.
    Last edited by Severedevil; 2007-09-19 at 10:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Canran's arrow strikes true...to a tree at the other end of the clearing. The man does not seem very much impressed. In fact, he doesn't even notice, taking aim at the larger members of the party as he nocks his own shaft.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eranti

Eranti sizes up their opponents, and bravely draws his rapier...or attempts to. He forgets about the last half foot of the blade still in the scabbard, which gets stuck, and he promptly finds himself holding the air in front of him very menacingly. He looks at the air angrily and tries again with more success after a few errant tugs. While frantically releasing his weapon, he heads purposefully toward cover (hopefully to end up behind cover), be it trees or bushes or something, within 20 ft or so of one of the bandits.
    Proud Happy Biscuit (TM) salesman

avatar: Fence the gypsy halfling rogue by Sampi

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Nevar

The wizard steps back behind the mule and speaks in a loud clear voice enunciating strange and arcane syllables which are obviously requiring a great deal of concentration to focus, especially as he seems to be trying to work from cover. He finishes, but nothing seems to happen.

Spoiler
    Show
    So much for scorching ray... it would have been impressive if it had worked.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

7. - Top - End - #97

Zadreck Ysaron

The paladin draws his greatsword as soon as he sees the large man raising his bow. There was no mistake of the bandits' intent, and no time to resolve this situation peacefully, what with weapons being drawn and arrows flying in every direction.

Zadreck breaks off into a run, using the momentum to his advantage to raise his blade up high, his eyes never leaving sight of his assailant.
    When he reaches his target, he flicks his wrists, and, in a move that seems almost graceful, brings the sword down with all his strength...

Spoiler
    Show
    This only takes place if they fire. If they don't, just post their actions and I'll change this to a more appropriate response.

Charge (-2 AC, +2 AB)
    Attack roll - (1d20+5)[20]
    Potential damage roll - (2d6+3)[9]

AC (flatfooted): 15
    AC (normal): 16
    AC (after my turn): 14
    HP: 12
    Last edited by Freshmeat; 2007-09-20 at 06:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

[OOC: Waiting for the conclusion of the combat round to declare Canran's next action.]

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: I rule that as the concentration check was not required for this situation, scorching ray is cast successfully.

Eranti: One bandit is about 15 yards away in the center of the camp. The other is directly across from the party on the other side of the clearing.

Before Zadreck can act two shafts fly out in his direction. The bandits have clearly marked as the most dangerous individual, paying little attention to the smaller party members, and less to the wizard.

Unfortunately unlike Canran, these men find their mark, both arrows striking Zadreck with sickening thuds. Blood wells up from his wounds.

OOC: 7 damage.

IC: But, the paladin is not stopped by this attack, he charges in and slices at the closer bandit. The greatsword arcs down, whistling as it travels, and severs the bandits left arm at the shoulder. The man staggers for a moment, but does not fall.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Canran

Though concerned by Zadreck's injuries, the paladin is too far away for the little cleric to heal. Canran continues his projectile assault, clearly demonstrating his skill with the bow as well as the weakness of his arm.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Nevar

Spoiler
    Show
    If the scorching ray goes off it hits the first bandit who was knocking his arrow. Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20)[9] Damage:(4d6)[15]

It may surprise some of his friends who know that Nevar is only a beginning wizard that after his gestures a scorching ray of intense heat jumps from his fingertips to strike toward the bandit at the center of the clearing.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: OK, this changes things. Quick rewarping of the fabric of reality. The second arrow never gets a chance to hit Zadreck (+6 HP), and he runs through a pile of ash and bone, not a bandit. You could run to the other bandit though, no AoO as he does not have a melee weapon out. I say that is what happens.

IC: Canran's second arrow manages to strike home this time. Dealing a superficial wound to the thigh of the farther bandit. The man grunts and readies himself to face Zadreck.

13. - Top - End - #103

Eranti

Eranti, though disoriented and somewhat alarmed by the projectiles and fire beyond shot around the battleground, decides to pluck up his courage and forge toward the nearest foe with the intention of introducing him to the business end of his oversized rapier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eranti will approach the nearest foe and try to flank if possible, then stab.

attack - (1d20+5)[16]
    damage - (1d6)[4]
    If necessary:
    sneak attack - (1d6)[4]
    tumble - (1d20+8)[11]

14. - Top - End - #104

Zadreck Ysaron

The paladin is slightly taken aback when he suddenly sees an arrow sticking out of his armor. He had never really felt the impact, probably due to the unusual angle in which the arrow had penetrated his breastplate, barely scratching the skin underneath.

Seeing his initial opponent go up in flames, Zadreck continues his run, this time heading for the other bandit...

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge the second bandit.

(charging: +2 to hit, -2 to AC)
    [bonus not taken into account yet, though it probably won't matter]

Attack roll - (1d20+2)[6]
    Potential damage roll - (2d6+3)[7]

AC: 14 (before and after my action)
    HP: 11

(If the bandit surrenders, whether naturally, or because of Nevar's intimidation check, disregard the above action)
    Last edited by Freshmeat; 2007-09-25 at 12:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Nevar

As his friends surround the other bandit, Nevar raises his arms and calls out.

Surrender, or be turned to ash like your friend!

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll leave it to the DM if this merits an intimidation roll and what situational modifiers might exist... say, seeing your friend go up like a roman candle.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Moving on now.

IC: Eranti moves in for the kill, but his short stride does not allow him to make it across the whole clearing. He still stands some 20 odd feet from their last assailant.

When Nevar shouts at the man, he seems to be taken aback a bit. Either that, or the fact that his comrade-in-arms is not in the best of shape. He turns and runs, but not out of the clearing. He dashes underneath the tarp and starts scrambling around for something amongst the obviously stolen loot assembled therein.

Canran knocks another arrow, but his view is obscured by a crate. This arrow sails a bit too low, and thuds dully into the soft wood.

Zadreck bounds across the clearing with the intent to bring about the demise of the bandit. His intent notwithstanding, the bandit deftly avoids his clumsy swing.

17. - Top - End - #107

Eranti

Eranti attempts to close the remaining distance and deliver a fierce stab, before the bandit can retrieve what he is rummaging for.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+5)[7]
    damage - (1d6)[1]
    if applicable (flank if possible):
    sneak attack - (1d6)[2]
    tumble - (1d20+7)[21]

18. - Top - End - #108

Zadreck Ysaron

The paladin gives chase, hoping to catch the bandit before he can escape with whatever stolen goods he's trying to take with him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Modifiers:
    - Charge (already taken into account)
    - Flank (not taken into account yet, though if there's an opportunity to do so, Zadreck will take it)

Attack roll - (1d20+5)[21]
    Potential damage roll - (2d6+3)[13]

AC (before and after my action): 14
    HP: 11
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Canran

Shifting for a better shot, Canran knocks another arrow, ready to let fly as soon as the bandit tries to escape. "The hunt's almost ended..." he mumbles to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moves 30' for a better firing position, and to bring himself closer to the last bandit. Readied action to shoot his bow at the bandit once he moves away from Zadreck. (To avoid shooting into melee, and maybe catch the bandit running so he's denied Dex bonus to AC.) Attack - (1d20+5)[11], Damage - (1d6-1)[1].

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: New rule, I NPC idle characters to keep the pace of combat up.

IC: Canran once again is unable to strike the bandit with his oversized bow. His arrow flies wide, and Zadreck thinks he hears a whistling sound.

Nevar decides to move in a bit closer and determine what the bandit finds so important that he would drop his bow, but not run out of the clearing.

Eranti runs up behind the bandit, leaping over a small crate in the process. However, his deft manouvering causes him to stab wildly at the ground rather than the back of the bandit.

The bandit pushes aside a sack of flour and reveals a small hollow in the earth. From the hollow he whips out some manner of weapon, but only manages to fumble and drop it to the ground.

Zadreck then bounds in and beheads him. The clearing is now silent.

OOC: I can only view Eranti's character sheet, rpgwebprofiler must not be working or some such. Find a way to get me the sheets, or at least the basic combat rundown of AC, BAB, Spells, and Saves.

21. - Top - End - #111

Eranti

Eranti recoils slightly from the gory scene in front of them, as his adrenaline stops pumping. Killing folks shouldn't be nearly as messy as this, he decides. Once the initial queasiness passes, he begins searching through the loot piled beside the campsite, and possibly on the bodies of the fallen, unless the paladin stops him.

These men fought bravely. But we fought MORE bravely. Yay us. Eranti pats Canran heartily on the back, in the comradeship of ineffectiveness.

Oh, maybe someone should release those mules. Maybe someone could boost me up there, if it's too high?
    Last edited by obliged_salmon; 2007-09-28 at 02:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Zadreck Ysaron

It takes a few moments for the large paladin to catch his breath, after the sudden, unexpected exertion. He looks behind him to see if any of his companions had been hit by a stray arrow, but is glad to see no one is wounded. Carefully, he approaches the ensnared mules, with the intention of freeing them and calming them down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Handle animal check. If they're too stubborn, Zadreck will just leave them alone for a while, spending his time with looting the area, until the mules have calmed down somewhat.

This really should be in the OOC thread, but anyway, a few words on looting: Zadreck isn't opposed to it. Just letting useful items laying around is simply stupid, and doesn't make you more 'honorable'. As long as certain boundaries aren't crossed (such as blatantly disrespecting the dead by knocking out gold teeth and the like), all is fair game.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

A quick search of the bandits reveals that each carried a shortbow and shortsword, as well as a wineskin and 15 silver pieces.

The tarp covers a random assortment of goods no doubt 'liberated' from passing travelers such as yourselves. Sorting through it all would take some additional effort.
    Last edited by Alebeard_Thunderax; 2007-09-28 at 05:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Nevar

The wizard makes a quick gesture and mutters an arcane-sounding phrase.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic on the pile of stuff... can I sort out if anything is giving off magical emanations?
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

25. - Top - End - #115

Zadreck Ysaron

Zadreck inspects the items closely, trying to determine their worth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise, straight 1d20 per item. No modifiers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #116

Eranti

Eranti searches around carefully for shiny things.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Canran

Although eager to hunt around in the grass for glittering trinkets, or maybe a new set of pans, Canran remembers something important he needs to do first. Approaching the paladin, Canran murmurs something to himself and touches the man's wound. As it seals itself, the little goblin smiles. "Thanks for protecting us!"

Once Zadreck is healed, Canran adds his little yellow eyes to the hunt for valuables.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search - (1d20+2)[7], untrained Appraise - (1d20+2)[19]. Canran cast Cure Minor Wounds, losing Guidance. (I can't access the sheet either, but I'm pretty sure he memorized Create Water, Detect Magic, and Guidance as his cantrips.

28. - Top - End - #118

Zadreck Ysaron

"No problem, little fellow. Glad to help," Zadreck replies, while rubbing slightly over the now-closed wound.
    "Since there's no point in leaving anything of value here, I suggest we store whatever looks interesting into our saddlebags. We can always sell it later."

The paladin brings one of the bags over to the center of the camp, and starts to sort through the items that had been covered by the tarp. Most of the things he puts aside are random junk, though he does put a nice-looking ham and some bread into the bags.
    "I'll take this over trail rations any day of the week." he says with a wide grin.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Nevar

The wizard gestures to a mace that the bandit had been fumbling after.

That is the only item that carries an aura of magic. It might be an enchanted weapon.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

30. - Top - End - #120

Eranti

With a gleeful shout, Eranti triumphantly jumps to and fro, holding a bag full of what sounds like coins jingling. He meticulously counts them out and reports,30 gold pieces, gentlemen. Excellent spoils. He grins and drops the bag next to the other valuables collected.