New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content 12: Artificial Unintelligence

It occurs to me that a couple pages ago, Clinton just stood there and watched while Roko fell flat on her face for the second time in a row. He didn't move to try and catch her or anything.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

If a cop just questioned me without warrant, I wouldn't, er, fall over myself to help them, either.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2018-03-18 at 06:48 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    As long as they are off the clock, yes, as far as I know.
    Law enforcement officers are very much not supposed wear uniforms while out drinking. More broadly, they are not supposed to be in uniform at all when off duty (though this is generally softened to throwing a shirt over your uniform and putting your gun belt away), since everything you do while in uniform appears to the public as an official action. For instance, if you got involved in an argument in a bar while in uniform that would be a serious ethical violation. Having to be hauled out of a bar because you're passed out drunk - like Brun is doing to O'Malley in #3699 - would be grounds for firing (also in almost moderately seedy city in the US a very good way to get murdered with your own service weapon).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    If a cop just questioned me without warrant, I wouldn't, er, call over myself to help them, either.
    Seconded. TBH, unless I was rather familiar with the cop in question (particular familiar with them when they're drunk), I'd be worried that the kind of officer who drinks while in uniform would also be the kind to get the absolute worst impression from my trying to physically assist them after they fell.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh my god. Clinton really is the new Marten.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    It occurs to me that a couple pages ago, Clinton just stood there and watched while Roko fell flat on her face for the second time in a row. He didn't move to try and catch her or anything.
    If he's familiar with AI construction, he probably WOULDN'T try to catch her, they're generally heavier than humans. Hanners caught Roko when she fainted while Bubbles and Faye were talking to her about the internal structure of her ankle, and regretted it. Getting between Roko and the sidewalk when they're about to meet would not be healthy for fragile human flesh.

We didn't see if he helped her up afterwards. It being Clinton, he probably did.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Yeah there are absolutely zero circumstances where I'd be comfortable putting my hands on a drunk cop.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

8. - Top - End - #548

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Law enforcement officers are very much not supposed wear uniforms while out drinking. More broadly, they are not supposed to be in uniform at all when off duty (though this is generally softened to throwing a shirt over your uniform and putting your gun belt away), since everything you do while in uniform appears to the public as an official action. For instance, if you got involved in an argument in a bar while in uniform that would be a serious ethical violation. Having to be hauled out of a bar because you're passed out drunk - like Brun is doing to O'Malley in #3699 - would be grounds for firing (also in almost moderately seedy city in the US a very good way to get murdered with your own service weapon).
    That's also a way to be fired (at).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #549

Imp

Does Roko even carry a gun, though? I seem to recall a previous strip establishing she only had anti-robot EMP weapons. Or did I make that up?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Does Roko even carry a gun, though? I seem to recall a previous strip establishing she only had anti-robot EMP weapons. Or did I make that up?
    Well, her art is weird here. She's wearing a gunbelt but it lacks the requisite bulge to contain a service weapon of any kind, whether an actual 'shoots bullets' kind of gun or the bright yellow gun-like object she drew in earlier strips. Annoyingly, when she was carrying that weapon she was wearing plainclothes (which makes her wearing a uniform in a bar even weirder, since if she qualifies to wear plainclothes why would she be wearing the uniform at all? Was there some formal police function that day?) so we can't say where she was carrying it.

In general there seems to be rather low accuracy with regard to Roko's uniform. She identifies herself as state police in #3362, but the Massachusetts state police uniform is light blue not navy and the clip-on tie is only worn with the dress uniform - which again suggests there was some sort of formal function. Also, there's no badge stencil on Roko's right shoulder - which should be on pretty much any police uniform.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

11. - Top - End - #551
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Well, her art is weird here. She's wearing a gunbelt but it lacks the requisite bulge to contain a service weapon of any kind, whether an actual 'shoots bullets' kind of gun or the bright yellow gun-like object she drew in earlier strips. Annoyingly, when she was carrying that weapon she was wearing plainclothes (which makes her wearing a uniform in a bar even weirder, since if she qualifies to wear plainclothes why would she be wearing the uniform at all? Was there some formal police function that day?) so we can't say where she was carrying it.

In general there seems to be rather low accuracy with regard to Roko's uniform. She identifies herself as state police in #3362, but the Massachusetts state police uniform is light blue not navy and the clip-on tie is only worn with the dress uniform - which again suggests there was some sort of formal function. Also, there's no badge stencil on Roko's right shoulder - which should be on pretty much any police uniform.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Jeph just quickly stuck her in that semi-uniform to remind viewers that she's a cop.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

Another ship appears to be setting sail... Even if one of the participants is unaware of it...

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

I have vague memories of 2+2 = Delaware being a gag on Animaniacs.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, somehow Jeph really got me today and the author's note was the cherry on top. Good for you, Jeph!

Also.. Why doesn't Elliott change his sleep rhythm to sleep in the afternoon when he works night and early morning?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

15. - Top - End - #555

Griffon

I've tried something similar to what you're suggesting Kato, having worked a nightshift for 4 years.
    Sleeping during the day and then "hanging around" while everyone else has gone to bed and you're just waiting for your job to begin is a very lonely and anti-social experience. Especially so when you reach the 'weekend' and try to preserve your sleep pattern; you end up being awake all night, not seeing another living soul for hours on end, and then getting a very restless sleep during the day while everyone else is up and doing things.

In the end, I adopted pattern more like Elliot's. I would sleep during the day for 3 days a week, and then spend the 4th day awake for ~30 hours straight to try and have a 'normal' weekend. I would be exhausted, but if I didn't do that then I would see my family only for an hour or two per day, and almost never see my friends except on holidays.
    So I sympathise with Elliot, especially if he only has to tolerate it up for a couple of days per week
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, I didn't mean it as an all-time sol but switching depending on his work schedule. I know doing this all week / month is only possible for people with a very special social behavior (like.. None)
    But while it requires you to be able to switch your sleep cycle a lot it still seems better than going with too little sleep because of short nights.

Also : looking for a possible perfect scone I've come to realize.. There is no real German word for scones. Because I guess it's just something we don't do? Somehow to me this seems weirder than it probably is.
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #557

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kato
    But while it requires you to be able to switch your sleep cycle a lot it still seems better than going with too little sleep because of short nights.
    Some people can do that easily; for others, it's a living death. As one of the latter, I will attest that it's generally better in some circumstances to be tired and then take a nap or two, than to try and force your brain to rewire itself twice a week (at least, that's what it felt like sometimes ).

As for "Scone", it's either a Gaelic or Dutch word. Neither Teutonia nor Hibernia were ever formally conquered by the Roman legions so they probably didn't have much to do with each other, which is why both languages are so very different to the rest of Europe and there's not much cultural crossover.
    Alternatively the word might be derived from the Dutch, in which case I'm led to believe that Germany are not fond of their orange-clad neighbours and tend to deliberately shun their traditions somewhat. Just like the English and the Scottish, or the English and the French, or the English and other parts of England....

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    As for "Scone", it's either a Gaelic or Dutch word. Neither Teutonia nor Hibernia were ever formally conquered by the Roman legions so they probably didn't have much to do with each other, which is why both languages are so very different to the rest of Europe and there's not much cultural crossover.
    Alternatively the word might be derived from the Dutch, in which case I'm led to believe that Germany are not fond of their orange-clad neighbours and tend to deliberately shun their traditions somewhat. Just like the English and the Scottish, or the English and the French, or the English and other parts of England....
    It's amazing how often that joke can make me laugh.

I'm not even merely referring to the word but.. Well, we do have Gebäck but this is basically every baked good with a focus on sweetness. Scones from what I can tell are a rather narrow set with a lot of variations but it's just something we don't do here. Though, I'm getting off topic.. Anyone feeling like discussing set theory? No? That's a relief.
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    It's amazing how often that joke can make me laugh.

I'm not even merely referring to the word but.. Well, we do have Gebäck but this is basically every baked good with a focus on sweetness. Scones from what I can tell are a rather narrow set with a lot of variations but it's just something we don't do here. Though, I'm getting off topic.. Anyone feeling like discussing set theory? No? That's a relief.
    Scones are often cheap here, but they tend to be really high calorie foods.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

20. - Top - End - #560

I have been reading the entire archive from 1 for the past week. Only reach 720 so far.

But i never realized that the Vespa Avenger was foreshadowed by Sven when he roped Marten into running interference against his ex girlfriend.

After being confronted by Fayes and his ex outside, he claims he was charged on by a girl on a Vespa, and then was attacked by racoons.

Thats at least.. 30-40 strips before Vespavenger's first appearance in 720.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Bugbear in the Playground

Though was it foreshadowing or deciding to expand on a random joke. We shall never know. (I guess it is foreshadowing anyway even if the author didn't intend it to be.)

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Funny you should bring up the Vespavenger arc, given the recent discussion about cops drinking on the job. Check out strip #749.

23. - Top - End - #563

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #564
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    At least it isnt a past psychic. That is far less impressive.

"In the year of 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue!"

"Yeah yeah, great, glad to hear my history books were right."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

25. - Top - End - #565

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Every culture has its own specialties that don't exist abroad. It's normal.

The EU had this several years ago. That was fun, they should do that again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #566
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Hm, was it ever stated what Clinton actually does for a living? I can't go looking through the archives right now.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Hm, was it ever stated what Clinton actually does for a living? I can't go looking through the archives right now.
    His first appearance was to survey Martin and Pintsize to see if theyre happy together as part of the anthroPC companion program.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #568

Griffon

If I remember rightly, Clinton is a couple of years older than Claire.
    Given that she is a post-grad student, it suggests that Clinton either works in some form of AI-related data gathering/marketing role, or may himself be a Masters or even PhD student studying AI Psychology/Sociology.

If the latter is true, I can imagine potential for him to interact with Winslow or even Gordon. That would be fun, it'd be nice for either of those characters to have a "friend" who isn't someone that they work for.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    If I remember rightly, Clinton is a couple of years older than Claire.
    Given that she is a post-grad student, it suggests that Clinton either works in some form of AI-related data gathering/marketing role, or may himself be a Masters or even PhD student studying AI Psychology/Sociology.

If the latter is true, I can imagine potential for him to interact with Winslow or even Gordon. That would be fun, it'd be nice for either of those characters to have a "friend" who isn't someone that they work for.
    Clinton is the younger sibling. I would assume, as such, that he's an undergrad or just beginning his Master's degree.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    They were so... skinny

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.