New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Crimson Echo IC

"Okay, um, we need to get these kids somewhere safe, now, and I don't know what you want to do with these gentlemen" Aliani said uncertainly, gesturing at the sleeping (and now disarmed) people. "I suppose maybe they might have some information on where he might be headed? I was going to suggest just letting them be, except maybe Yargin there... but... I don't know...if they..." He let that thought trail off; between the unexpected nature of the encounter and the drug-induced transformation, it was obvious that he wasn't in anywhere near the right frame of mind for making decisions of that sort.

"I'd remind you all that we've committed a fairly large number of murders, we're going to be leaving this place with a large quantity of stolen property, probably an unhealthy amount of dangerous and addictive drugs, a dozen kidnapping victims in need of care, I'm not mistaken Mr. Rittle is carrying a decapitated head in a box, and I'm personally carrying around more coin than I've ever had in my entire life. We're going to need a suitable safe place to go..."

"I probably should have thought about this more before we came, I'm sorry, I've just been so busy... I don't know what to do. I''m sorry."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Silas

With Brendan dead and Dalen speaking to the group, the ranger spent a short time staring out at the water. There wasn't much else to do but wait. He met the party upstairs.

Approaching from the side, Silas embraced Aliani in an attempt to calm the man. Perhaps also to calm himself.

'Breathe, child... Gaedren will not go gently into night - because we're going to drag him there. Whatever dangers lie ahead and beyond him, we'll take them on together. Now stop embarrassing me in front of the children.'

Hoping the quip would cheer his mood, Silas broke from the hug and looked the kids up and down.

'Alright. Which of you lot has a safe place to go to? I suggest you head there now. We should all leave this place right away.'

Whatever the result of this conversation, Silas left the rest to Aliani. There was much to do here and little time to do it. He likely joined Miz in tying up and transporting Yargin to the cart - as long as the horses weren't spooked. Any remaining thugs would be threatened away upon waking.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani shot Silas a withering glare. shrugging his shoulders to throw the man off him -- "I'm not a child, and you don't need to treat me like one! I know I screwed up, okay?" -- before softening a bit. "I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. I know you meant well, I appreciate you trying."

Silas's last sentence had Aliani back to looking at him like he had grown an extra head. "What? No. We're not sending them out there alone. It's -- it's going to be utter chaos. It's already started out there, fires and riots and the whole lot. We find someplace safe for them for a few days, maybe some of the more charitable temples? Just until things settle down. But no" (as he looked over the children) "we are not sending them out there to fend for themselves. I'm not, anyway, but I could... I could really use your help on this."
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2018-06-18 at 01:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304

Silas

Silas stopped from moving away from the scene and quickly returned to Aliani's side. Maybe he was too calm about their situation.

'Many of my clients enjoy being called "child" - but I suppose you had a better relationship with your father.'

He cleared his throat, mulling over his options with only a sliver of impatience.

'My name is Silas Ra'tada. We came here to kill Gaedren, and end his criminal organization. We will not force you to come with us, but I suppose you're less likely to be hurt. If you so wish to find safety by us, please accompany me to the upstairs. We haven't time to dally.'

Assuming they acquiesce, Silas led them to the cart by the loading bay, using the catwalk he first entered from as to avoid the bloodier side of the building. Miz could deal with Yargin on her own, and the other thugs were unlikely to be a problem.

'We'll ride out on this.'

Turning to Aliani, Silas had one question to whisper in his ear.

'Any place in mind for this lot?'
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2018-06-18 at 04:05 PM.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dwarf in the Playground

Miz placed an unsteady foot under herself and tried to stand without retching again. She dragged her sleeve across her mouth to wipe away the bile and worked her tongue alittle to spit out whatever was left.

She cast a baleful eye at Brendan's corpse.

"****e on you and your master! Ya light lovin' piker!!"

She gave the body a malicious kick before stalking back over to the rest of the party.

"You lot do what 're doin' than. Lamm's man here had a key on em, so I'll be checking into it fer a moment."

She walked off, snooping around the fishery's office for the lock to the key as well as anything else she can get her hands on.

If she can manage it, she picks Yargin up with the intent to (gently) shove his body into the cart with everything else.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

Miz placed an unsteady foot under herself and tried to stand without retching again. She dragged her sleeve across her mouth to wipe away the bile and worked her tongue alittle to spit out whatever was left.

She cast a baleful eye at Brendan's corpse.

"****e on you and your master! Ya light lovin' piker!!"

She gave the body a malicious kick before stalking back over to the rest of the party.

"You lot do what 're doin' than. Lamm's man here had a key on em, so I'll be checking into it fer a moment."

She walked off, snooping around the fishery's office for the lock to the key as well as anything else she can get her hands on.

If she can manage it, she picks Yargin up with the intent to shove his body into the cart with everything else.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Miz found a disappointing take in Yargin's office within a locked cabinet that his key opened - the proceeds of the Fishery, which amounted to 20 GP in copper and silver coins.
    Silas and Aliani managed to round up the children, all eleven of them . . . that was one less than was here before . . .

"Willy left. I guess he didn't trust you guys to make good on your promise, so he skipped out while you were downstairs."

The halfling girl explained, who seemed to be slightly amused by your arguing and overall uncertainty of what to do.

"And none of us have anywhere to go. Lamm, bastard he was, was all we had. So thanks so much for getting rid of him."

The girl snarks - you have a feeling that she didn't get much chance to do that with Lamm, so she was clearly relishing the opportunity now.

You manage to load Yargin up onto the cart without re-opening his wounds, his hands tied behind his back with some old rope you found just in case he woke up (it's a Fishery, there's bound to be some around).
    Giggles and Hookshanks are both dead, Giggles missing his head and the horrid gnome allowed to bleed out.
    The thugs are still unconscious but stable, although who knows what will happen to them once they wake up in a city gone insane.

As you all look out at the city, you can see several distant fires glowing against the night sky.
    None of them look especially out of control yet, so the city doesn't seem to be in danger of burning down just yet.
    The Great Fire of over two centuries ago had left its scars on the city's memory that continued to this day, and so arson was a seldom-chosen option of destruction.
    The fact that major arson was considered a capital crime roughly equivalent to treason, with the same punishment - slow death by torture - probably helped keep it in the city's consciousness.

One such fire was relatively close, a short distance down the docks on what looked like one of the residence boats . . . in fact Silas is pretty sure it's the same residence boat he was on a few hours ago!

A short distance away, the group could hear angry shouting, a dozen voices blended together in anger - a mob was forming, about two streets away from the docks.
    The only thing that could be clearly heard was one voice shouting over the others - "Death to the Whore Queen", and "Lamm will save us!"

Overhead, a wing of Sable Company marines fly on the backs of their hippogriffs.
    One of the winged mounts appears to be wounded, as it struggles to stay in formation, blood pouring down in a steady stream of droplets to splatter on the city below.
    Suddenly, it veers towards the ground in a death dive, plunging into the waters of the Jeggare a short distance away from the Fishery.
    The other marines continue on towards the palace, apparently too busy to stop and check for their comrade's survival.
    A voice cries out in desperation for help from the dark waters a few moments later as the marine bobs back up to the surface, and dark fins start cutting their way towards him.

Points of Interest:
    • Boat on Fire
    • Lamm Loving Mob
    • Drowning Sable Marine
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

8. - Top - End - #308

Silas

Watching the marine drop from the sky, Silas looked on in the mildest of concern. One marine was not worth his life, though Miz seemed more equipped for such a rescue at the moment. More importantly, there was a fire in the direction of where his daughter had been staying. Dashing a step to get a better view, it became very apparent it was in fact the very same residence. He glanced back at the children behind him, weighing his options with what little time he had to do it.

These children need help.

My child is in danger.

What if I was followed? What if it's my fault?

He inched closer to the burning boat, still hesitant to ditch his companions and their mission.

As if to ask permission, he spoke aloud.

'I know someone on that boat! I - I must go there!'

For anyone who could see his face, it was obvious he needed some convincing to stay.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

"****! Um, all right, we'll be right behind you."

There was way too much going on right now. Okay, get this guy out of the water, won't take long... no boats... need a distraction. Don't even know why I'm helping these *******s. Maybe I am soft... oh, ****, of course...

"Get some rope, fast!" Aliani exclaimed, talking to absolutely nobody in particular. "As much as you can find!"

He reached toward his chest and drew out a dagger from what appeared to be a somewhat incongruous place to draw one, given his current attire. No time for attention to detail. He moved to the edge of the river, scanning for the voice -- and the other creatures that might be lurking. All the while, the events of the morning -- gods, it seems like an age ago already -- were running through his head. Everything happens for a reason. So was a certain passage, one about sacrifice and setting an example. It wasn't one of his favorites, but the sudden dull ache on the point of his index finger was making its presence known.

Through our life, we give life to the word
    Through our blood, we save blood of those who cannot save themselves
    Through our love, we spread love to those who feel none
    Through our hearts, we change hearts of those who would oppress us.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I figure it's a move action and a bit more to get to the water's edge and draw a dagger...

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

The city has truly went to hell from what Miz could see. The marine that plunged into the water made for a nice emphasize to the situation.

Miz wasn't very eager to wait around here for a mob Lamm's followers to find them robbing the place. To be honest, it was no skin off her back to leave that man out there to die, buthe she was reminded that she wasn't working alone here as Aliani stepped up.

As much as she wanted to sit back and just see whatever Aliani's plan was, it was a much better use of her time to affect a quick rescue of the queen's pet knight so they could get the hell out of here. With that decided, Miz ran full kilter into the water, shouting to AlIIan I as she passed.

"Forget ta rope! I'll have em out quick enough!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Full movement power to swim toward the marine.
    Last edited by Steveodore; 2018-06-19 at 09:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen doesn't stray far from the cart, keeping one eye on the unfolding situation in the water - which he can do little about - and another on the crowd of Lamm supporters.

12. - Top - End - #312

Silas

Without any objections, Silas sprinted toward the fire in the distance.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

Dalen keeps an eye on the Lamm supporters from the Fishery's front door, while also trying to get the children into some kind of order.
    An impossible task really, as each time he looks away some of them are climbing up onto the cart to poke through the boxes, put bugs in Yargin's mouth, or wander off to go see what Aliani and Miz are doing.
    Meanwhile, the rabble-rouser continues to rant against the queen and in favor of Gaedren Lamm, as far as Dalen can tell.

(Feel free to give me a Perception check if Dalen wants to hear specifically what is being said beyond the highlights of "Lamm will save us!" and "Down with the Whore Queen!")

Meanwhile, Miz and Aliani work together to rescue the Sable Marine who will drown shortly if the sharks don't get him first.

Aliani shouts at one of the children who has somehow gotten away from Dalen to go find some more rope that he can throw out to the marine and makes ready to cut himself to dribble blood into the water, hopefully distracting the sharks rather than driving them into a mad feeding frenzy. It occurs to him that he does still have some bodies to throw into the water, between Brendan and the unconscious thugs still lying on the pier, but that may also make things worse.

Miz meanwhile, simply dives in and starts arrowing through the water towards the marine, reaching him in seconds.

The man is clearly out of it, and only manages to weakly hold onto Miz, which makes this next part a little easier - if he was wide awake and flailing around to try and stay above the surface, he might inadvertently drag them both down. Despite that, getting him back to shore was going to be difficult between his own body weight and that of his gear and armor. Miz gets an arm around his chest underneath the man’s arms, hearing him grunt in pain as she does so – he must have a wound in his right side. Then she starts heading back to shore, as the dark fins continue to close in from behind.

(So, Miz has a swim speed, and she does have the carrying capacity/raw strength to drag the marine back to shore. However, the guy does weigh probably 200 pounds between himself and all of his gear, and even at half that due to being in water that is going to push her encumbrance up to around heavy, lowering her speed. Normally this wouldn’t be an issue, but . . . sharks! So, let’s play the rest of this out. Give me a couple STR checks Miz to see how well she manages to keep swimming while dragging this guy along behind her – if either hits DC 15, she gets ashore easily over the next two rounds before the sharks manage to close in. Aliani meanwhile can enact his plan to try to keep the sharks occupied and buy you a bit more time maybe – I’d say 1 HP to dribble blood into the water?)

And while this drama plays out in the water, Silas runs off towards the burning ship, leaving the rest of the group behind in his haste to get there in time . . .

Spoiler: Silas Only
    Show

Your own theme music for this scene!

You race along the docks, praying both that Vjala was nowhere nearby and that you will get there in time simultaneously. As you approach the boat over the next minute you can see that it is definitely the same boat that you were aboard earlier, and that this is not a simple cooking fire gone awry. While it no longer had sails, the mast is ablaze, and the top deck of the ship is a hellish maze of smoke and flames. People run back and forth in a blind panic on the dock, shouting for loved ones, to form a bucket line, or to scream desperate questions to the queen, the gods, and their fellow man.

There are a few things you are quick to discern from the chaos. First is that this ship is in danger of catching the rest of the area on fire – and considering there are several more residence boats here at the same dock, that would be very bad. Second, that some level-headed people on the dock are trying to set the old boat adrift from the docks that that it could float out to the middle of the Jeggare River and burn down to the waterline safely – from the looks of the blaze as it is now there was little chance of putting the fire out with a couple bucket lines. Third, there are still people on board the burning ship, trapped below decks by the flames. Some people are hacking at a porthole several feet above the waterline, attempting to enlarge it enough for people to escape through. Finally, amidst the hellish conflagration on the boat’s top deck, two people seem to be fighting – you can’t tell who they are at this distance, however.

No map as yet, depending on what Silas decides to do – help push the boat out into the river, rescue the people below decks, or go up onto the top deck to see who’s fighting and why.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Watching the enclosing sharks, Dalen reaches into his coat and withdraws a scroll. It was a very useful spell, one that had a bit of a reputation at the Acadamae for its less conventional uses. Dalen stands ready to cast it if the sharks close distance.

Show

Dalen readies an action to cast his scroll of mount if it looks like the sharks will reach Miz, summoning the horse as a distraction to block their path.

Oh, and perception check while I'm here (feel free to penalize as appropriate since Dalen is paying attention to the whole Sable Marine thing: (1d20+2)[3] edit: clearly Dalen is completely oblivious to his surroundings a the moment.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2018-06-22 at 01:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315

Silas

Spoiler: Inspectre Only
    Show

Catching some ash as he inhaled, Silas found it hard to recover from his sprint. He didn't have a moment to consider the fight on the deck. As much as he always wished to see the ships burn, he didn't once want to see suffering in those flames. It was a hard decision, but he could not delay more than a blink.

Silas rushed to the side of the boat, cutting any remaining ties preventing the boat from drifting. While doing so, he roared at others to help push.

'If we don't send this down the river, the rest of the neighbourhood will go up with it! Hurry! Push!'

Trusting that would be enough, he had to get aboard the vessel.

Rolls:

General attack roll in case you want it for the ropes, but he's cutting til they're gone:
    (1d20+8)[13]
    (2d4+3)[6]

Diplomacy to convince the crowd to help push: (1d20+8)[21]

Acrobatics to get onto the boat (just in case):
    (1d20)[16]
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2018-06-22 at 07:10 PM.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

16. - Top - End - #316
    Dwarf in the Playground

Miz cut though the water with the ease of a knife, reaching the drowning soldier with ease. Throwing herself into this mess was the easy part, now she had to drag this dead weight back ashore before the sea beasts got her.

Unfortunately for Miz, the waterlogged marine was causing her more trouble then she anticipated. She didn't have the use of one of their hands to keep a grip on the man and the weight of his armor wasn't helping her. As she awkwardly swam back toward shore, she fleetingly wished the marine had hit the cobbles instead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength checks for swimming rolled on ooc, highest one was 13 so things aren't going well for Miz!
    Last edited by Steveodore; 2018-06-23 at 02:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani closed his eyes, running his finger along the edge of the dagger. It went a bit deeper than he'd hoped to, and bled really quite easily given the circumstances. Wincing against the pain as he set the dagger down, and taking care to not look at it, he stuck his hand into the water at the corner of the pier, splashing around and trying to attract attention, keeping a close eye on the race between Miz and the sharks...

"WHERE'S THAT ROPE!"

Show
    Ow, that hurts!

My next action will be either:

1) If Miz and the marine can get within 30' before the sharks get to them, I'll bring non-bleeding hand to collar for a Channel Energy (2d6)[8], excluding Brandon and the injured thugs on the pier (the sleeping one can have healing, I don't care). This will of course take care of that 1 damage on me, and hopefully get the marine to better than dead weight status. What, you didn't think I was suddenly into the masochism stuff, did ya?

2) If a shark gets within 30' of me before happens, I'll cast Cause Fear on it (Will DC 14 to only be shaken for a round instead of fleeing the scene for (1d4)[3] rounds.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

Aliani's deception works, as his bleeding and splashing around at the end of the pier manages to divert one of the two dark fins heading towards Miz.
    But it is Dalen's contribution that really saves the day, as a riding horse comes splashing into existence nearly directly on top of the other shark as it nears striking distance of Miz, who is clearly struggling to keep the marine's head above water while also dragging the heavy bastard back to shore.

(Scroll of Mount used! It's super effective!)

Still, despite her difficulty, Miz manages to gradually make progress towards the pier, and as she closes in Aliani moves to help, channeling another burst of positive energy (how's he doing that anyway? wasn't he supposed to be a bard? ). This healing manages to rouse the marine somewhat, enough that he manages to at least kick his legs a bit and help propel the pair the rest of the way to the pier, where Miz hoists him up next to the dead Brendan.

It's clear that the marine is still having difficulty breathing, and with a quick check of his wounded side Miz discovers the answer.
    The marine had been shot with a crossbow, and the bolt had penetrated his armor just below his right arm pit. He had managed to pull the bolt free, but apparently the head of the bolt had split and sheared away when the bolt's shaft was pulling out. This left a sizable piece of shrapnel in the wound, which after a moment's work Miz is able to extract, and with a quick excision with her claws, she starts draining off the blood that had pooled into the man's chest cavity.

(Miz's heal skill is good enough that I took the liberty of having her Take 10 on the round following dragging the marine up onto the dock to take care of "Saving the Marine Part 2". He's no longer in death of death by shark or bleeding/suffocating to death on his own blood).

"T-thanks."

The marine wheezes, pushing himself up into a sitting position. He looks around at the carnage on the pier, but whatever he's thinking he keeps it to himself as he fishes out a vial from his belt and drains its contents, more color returning to his cheeks.

"C-Corporal Sabin Wright. Thought I was a goner when Lucille went down into the Jeggare. She was a good mount . . . didn't deserve that kind of ending."

(You are now welcome to chase after Silas if you so desire, although at this point I imagine you will get there shortly after the ship leaves the dock and starts drifting out into the river.)

Spoiler: Silas
    Show

You run down the pier, slashing at the remaining ropes holding the burning ship in place - your heavy blade parts the thick ropes much more easily than the knives and handaxes that the common folk were using to get the job done.
    You yell at everyone to start pushing the boat out into the river, briefly getting some pushback from the people still working at the porthole.

"We still have family inside! We can't abandon them!"

They yell, but they quickly realize that hacking a big enough hole in the side of the vessel was a task that was going to take several more minutes . . . and no one here had several minutes. With choked back sobs, the people at the porthole abandon their plans, and those still trapped inside, in favor of helping push the vessel out into the river. The current starts to take the vessel as it drifts away from the pier, and soon it's moving at a fairly rapid pace onto into the river. The docks were safe, but those still trapped below deck were going to drown or be consumed by the flames still blazing on the ship. Not if you had anything to say about it, as you heroically run down the length of the pier, jump for one of the cut ropes dangling off the side of the vessel, and swinging yourself aboard onto the top deck.

The deck is a mess, and where it not for your infernal heritage it would likely be much too warm for you here (yay fire resist!).
    The smoke from the flames stings your eyes as you look around for the stairs leading below decks, when you hear Vjala's voice ring out clearly ahead of you.

"Kid, this is your very last chance! Get out of my way! I'd rather not have to hurt you!"

"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! CITY MUST BURN! IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE IT!"

A blast of flame arcs across the deck of the ship at that screamed declaration, and you hear Vjala curse as the smoke clears momentarily.
    Vjala is standing at the far end of the deck near the stairs leading down into the cargo hold of the ship, a blade balanced in each hand.
    Blocking her way is a shimmering halfling-sized creature made entirely of flame, and . . . the ship's cabin boy!?

Blood oozes down the boy's face from his bloodshot eyes, although unlike Brendan it doesn't look like his right eye has destroyed itself.
    But it's pretty clear that the lad is suffering from a similar affliction - a dose of Shudder.
    How did he get it . . . oh.

In your mind's eye you can see what happened - you smashed the vials of Shiver that Vjala had beneath your boot down in the hold.
    Including among those vials was a sickly yellow vial that you had never seen before but assumed it was also some type of drug, which you now know to be correct - it was a vial of Shudder.
    You had expected the vial's contents to leak down into the floorboards of the hold and melt away, unable to harm anyone, but that still left the glass shards of the vials behind.
    The cabin boy was probably sent down to clean it up, and if he cut himself on the tainted glass while cleaning it up, well . . . that counted as a blood pact, didn't it?

Vjala swats at her leg with a wince, putting out the flicks of flame dancing there.
    Clearly the boy's Shudder dose had given him mastery of fire, including being able to summon elementals of it.

"You really need to stop following me."

Vjala grunts as she grips her blades tightly and glances over her shoulder at you.

"You want the elemental or the kid?"

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

One man saved from the water, now to save another man from the fire. Dalen turns to Aliani and smiles proactively, "you wouldn't happen to have any restorative magic left, would you?" then he turns around to Miz and points towards the houseboat, turning her attention away from Aliani momentarily "you should follow after Silas, Aliani and I will secure the wagon and this injured fellow and be right behind you,"

Show

Everyone's attention should be averted from Aliani for the moment.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2018-06-23 at 05:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320

Silas
    Spoiler: Inspectre (and anyone headed this way)
    Show
    Time slowed for the fellow. The flames licking the sails danced without spreading. The water crests below peaked without falling. The ship itself, though drifting out to open water, was like a butterfly caught between a flap of its wings. Before him was Vjala - his beautiful, ugly daughter. As he approached with sparks falling overhead, his eyes flew from her to them to her enough times to make a normal man dizzy. As Vjala finally spoke time caught up with the first word. Silas blinked in return, forcing himself to consider what he could say. Anything. Something cool-headed. All he had to do was avoid crying, which could only be prevented by not speaking.

I caused this.

A millisecond of thought was all it took for the poor man to realize his error. Another wrong to right. Truly, tears were to be easily shed amongst the smoke. Unable to muster the cowardice to kill the child, he opted for courage by striking the boy unconscious. With his blade reversed, he signaled his scheme in silence only because his face was contorted by a conflict of emotions.

Gulping down a barrel of tears, he glided to her side just long enough to speak before pouncing the child with a lesson in dirty fighting.

'Flank the youth. I'll take the brunt of the flames.'

Show
    Silas will reverse his blade to deal non-lethal slashing damage with a -4 to weapon attacks. While doing so, he'll move between the kid and the elemental, and strike at the deck, kicking the blade up alongside various rot, ash, and dust in an attempt to temporarily blind the cabin boy.

CMB: (1d20+8)[22]

Success: Cabin boy avoids any ill effects.
    Failure: Blind for 1 round. Move action to remove effect. May incur additional rounds for every 5 points CMD is under Silas' CMB.

Just in case I have the distance all wrong, and it is in fact much further than he can travel in one move action, he will instead charge the kid.

Attack w/ charge: (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage: (2d4+4)[8] Non-Lethal

AC reduced by 2 for round. (19)
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2018-06-24 at 10:10 AM.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani gave Dalen a quizzical look for a moment, before catching the drift. Nervously adjusting his shirt buttons, he said sheepishly in a deep voice "I, um, I'm afraid I'm all out Toff. This guy looks like he's a pretty tough soldier though -- I think once the shock of the fall wears off he'll be feeling much better. I can stick around, try and bandage him up a bit, if you want to go on ahead."

Show
    Once everyone's back is turned or suitably distracted, pop a Channel Energy: (2d6)[8]. Exclude Brendan and the two injured thugs (I think that's the only three left around here; there may be one sleeping one also but I don't care if he gets healed.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

Once she had the Marine knitted up nicely she took a moment to dwell on her soaked condition. The feeling her feet squelching around in her boots was rather irritating but she had worse stuff sloshing between her toes before.

"So y'know, I can can brew up a good healin' draft. Id take a minute thought an' that mob will beon us by than.. Our boy here's plugged up good 'noff I think for a rough wagon ride.."

She frowned in the direction of the mob chanting Gaedren's name.

"I'll be seein' ta Whiskers then, luck ta you two."

Miz rose up from her heels and took off after the burning boat.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Aliani/Darvin

The marine suddenly starts breathing much easier, the gaping wound in his side from the split crossbow bolt reduced to a mere scratch.
    He waves Aliani off at the bandages, clearly feeling better, although he regards the half-elf with a raised eyebrow.

"Nah I'm alright Aliani . . . Aliani . . . hey, are you that playwright guy? What'cha doing slumming it down here?"

Sabin asks, then shrugs and holds up a hand.

"Nevermind. Don't need to know. Really appreciate the save. I'd say this is the part where we'd part ways, but uhh . . . I'm a Sable Marine on foot who lost most of his weapons in the Jeggare, and from that shouting over yonder, I imagine anyone associated with authority tonight is going to have a bad time if they're alone. Do you folks mind walking with me down to Citadel Volyshenek before you get to wherever you're going? I'm sure the city guard would put you up for the night if you need a place to sleep - streets probably won't be safe for anyone tonight."

"Hurray! You saved him!"

One of the children cries from the loading dock of the Fishery, and as you look you can see most of the children lined up there, standing on tip-toes to peer at you and the marine over the railing.

Steveodore

Leaving the marine for Aliani and Dalen to sort out, you go running down the docks after Silas. You catch up to him just in time to see the burning boat drifting off into the middle of the river away from the docks, the assembled crowd watching it with the somber air of a funeral. You see a dark shape swinging itself up onto the burning deck - Silas no doubt. The boat is too far away to jump aboard now, so you'd have to swim for it if you wanted to climb aboard. A second swim in the Jeggare in about as many minutes - great.

(Boat's about 40' away from the docks at this point, so a full round to swim out there, another round to climb aboard. Or you can trust Silas to handle it if you want - up to you!)

Silas

Spoiler: Silas Only
    Show

(Welp, the good news is that with Resist 5 Fire, a Small Fire elemental can't possibly hurt you with its piddling 1d4 Fire damage a round. Although that doesn't mean that Silas is completely out of danger just yet . . .)

Vjala nods silently at your plan, circling around to hit the boy from the left while you take the boy's right, which is guarded by the child-sized being made of pure fire. Pure fire it may be, however, but you are a child of the Pit, and its flames can do little more than warm your skin as it claws at you once you come within reach. Ignoring the creature for now, you focus on the boy who summoned it here in the depths of Shudder-induced madness. Rushing forward, you scrape your blade along the charred deck, flicking ashes, embers, and splinters into the boy's already bleeding eyes.

"AAAHHH!! I CAN'T SEE! BUT I KNOW THE FLAMES ARE STILL THERE! DON'T TRY TO STOP ME! I HAVE TO SAVE KORVOSA! ONLY I CAN!"

(Kid is Blind for 2 rounds, or he spends a move action to clear his eyes.)

"Careful. He doesn't look like much, and his little friend isn't a threat to us, but -"

Vjala cautions as she runs up and mercilessly plunges her short sword into the kid's side, the blade coming back out with a twist of her wrist and stained purple - not red.

Spoiler: Vjala's Turn
    Show

To-Hit: (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[8]
    Sneak Attack: (1d6)[1]

"AAAHHH! BURN!"

The child screams, scrambling backwards to the edge of the stairway leading down into hold and raising an outstretched hand, flames shooting out to engulf you and Vjala.

(He just made the DC to cast defensively while 5' away from you and Vjala. He's still Blind at the moment.)

Reflex DC 13 vs. Burning Hands for Half of 8 Fire damage. So you either pass, and take 4 - reduced to 0 - Fire damage, or fail and take 8 - reduced to 3 - Fire damage.

"He does that. A lot."

Vjala growls, slapping at the edges of her cloak which once again are smoldering, although she appears unharmed by this blast of flames.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2018-06-25 at 08:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, of course, and you already met my close friend Toff Ornelos!"

Aliani waited a bit for the 'joke' to sink in, before continuing "He likes to kid with me, says I look a lot like that guy on the posters. I don't see the resemblance myself. So I kid him back. Name's James Craghorn, friends call me Jimmy. Besides, if I were him I'd be anywhere but here, you know?" Aliani extended his hand in a offer of a friendly handshake.

At the request to accompany the man to the citadel, Aliani demurred. "Yikes. Um, I do sympathize, I really do, but it's not any safer for us, and I've got the kids to keep an eye on..." (here, he gestured toward the loading dock) "... of course, tonight would be my turn to watch them and we run into this mess. All the luck, huh? Not as bad as yours though! Tell you what. You go help my friends there with that boat -- technically, that IS your jurisdiction, on the water, right? -- and maybe I can talk to those fellows over there, get them calmed down some, and maybe they see you helping out, probably be appreciated. Then we'll see."

Show
    Yeah, I'm not down with this "walking with a dozen kids right by the castle, and oh by the way multiple counts of murder, possession of ALL the stolen property, et cetera..." plan.

I'm fairly sure a Bluff check would be in order here. Go ahead and roll it if you don't think it'll disrupt the cinematic joy of the experience.
    Spoiler: a little joke
    Show

Jimmy Craghorn? I don't care.

25. - Top - End - #325

Silas

Spoiler: Inspectre
    Show
    Ducking away from the flames as best he could, he traveled alongside the boy.

'From what are you saving this city?! Is there no saving you?'

Allowing himself to ignore the thought of having already killed the child, he swept his backward blade across the hot air, intending to knock the child unconscious.

'We can, can't we?'

He prayed for a positive answer.

Show
    Reflex: (1d20+6)[10] E: Silas takes 3 fire damage.

5' step to help Vjala flank. If he can interpose himself between the kid and the stairs below, he'll do that regardless of any possible AoO.

Attack: [1d20+4]
    Damage: [2d4+4] Non-Lethal
    E: Screwed that up. I'll roll in OOC.

Attack: 21
    Damage: 6 Non-Lethal
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2018-06-26 at 08:08 AM.
    ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now, now, James, my studio is the closest safe place for us, and it's on the way to the citadel anyways. I'm also not keen on making targets of ourselves, but if we unload the cart there we may well be in a position to make the rest of the journey," Dalen points in the general direction of the home that didn't quite feel like his home yet. He felt somewhat blind without Rhetoric, but tracking Lamm was the highest priority at this juncture.

"Also, I do have some illusion scrolls if need be. Should be good enough to scare off any riff-raff if they accost us," he explains, as he subconsciously pulls out one of the scrolls to keep it close at hand - just in case.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Dwarf in the Playground

Miz watched as the burning boat drifted further away. From what she overheard, it seemed that Silas threw himself into that deathtrap immediately after sending it out into the water. These strange outbursts of heroics from her friend were alittle troubling. As things stood their plates were plenty full from tonight's excitement, she had thought Silas at least would keep his head on straight.

She didn't know what Silas was about here, and if it were nearly anyone but him, she would have left him to it. She had few enough friends as it is, she wasn't about to lose one to fire and shark teeth.

Miz dove into the water, swimming expertly out to the boat to see whatever fool business Silas got himself in.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Stelio Kontos & Darvin

Aliani can see the smile drain from Sabin's face as he shakes "James's" hand - it was clear that he had tried to tell too big of a lie and now the marine wasn't buying any of it.

"Yeah, nice to meet you. And no, that isn't my jurisdiction. The city guard handles the day-to-day affairs of the city. For a fire like that, some of us would probably be called in to help. If I still had Lucille, I could fill up a tarp with river water and dump it onto the blaze to extinguish it, but on foot alone? I'd be more likely to get in the way than anything. Still, suppose I can go try to help - have a good evening."

And the sable marine walks off into the night, in the general direction of the fire, assuming anyone doesn't try to stop him.
    Which makes the situation much less complicated for the group, but also much less likely to get a glowing mark in Sabin's inevitable report to his superiors.

PiccadillyPi & Steveodore

Miz finds a rope that's not been too badly singed by the flames and starts climbing up the side of the boat.
    (She'll be on deck and able to help next round.)

Silas steps in through the flames, wincing as they burn even his hardened skin a little, and bounces the hilt of his falchion off of the kid's teeth.
    His head snaps back and he nearly goes tumbling back down the stairs into the hold, but somehow manages to hold onto consciousness and keep balance.
    There's a bit of an unnaturalness to his movements here - it's clearly the Shudder that's keeping him up.

Vjala presses forward, murder in her eyes as she clearly intends to kill the boy.
    Although silent, her actions speak clearly as to her own opinions about Silas's methods.

Spoiler: Vjala
    Show

To-Hit: (1d20+4)[24]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[7]

To-Hit: (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[8]

And she succeeds in doing so, one blade flicking out to stab the kid cleanly through the throat, the other stabbing lower to skewer the lad's liver, and out through his back.
    With a look of disgust she kicks the boy off of her blades, and he goes down, rolling down the stairs into the hold to land in a crumpled heap at the bottom of the stairs.
    The fire elemental, with no ties to this world now, winks out of existence in a scream and spray of sparks that do little given the boat was already burning down around you.

"Save your mercy for those who deserve it."

Vjala spits, and then calls down into the hold.

"It's safe! Come up onto the deck if you can!"

Perhaps a dozen coughing voices cry out in answer, although from some of the shouts you believe that a few will need help to get up the stairs, either due to injuries or already passed out from the smoke and flames.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2018-06-28 at 05:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalen scowls at Aliani, "why did you do that? If you want to stay anonymous that's your business, but the rest of us are not celebrities. We actually need to work to make friends. You just drove away a grateful man for no reason, and lied about my name so he won't even know who I am now," Dalen slams his palm into his forehead, then composes himself, "it's too late to change that, though, so let's focus on getting the cart to safety now,"

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliani looked like he was about to snap back, but paused for a moment before responding quietly, in a very very calm tone "Mr. Rittle, my anonymity is my business. I would ask you to so respect it. Please do not use my proper name in front of those people when I have taken the trouble to disguise myself. I do that for a reason, you know."

Having got that off his chest, he seemed properly calmed down. "Besides, if you'd like to make friends with him, you can just drop by the citadel tomorrow to call on him. Be sure to take some chocolates, maybe a nice vase of flowers. At least a get-well-soon card. He'll be thrilled!" he winked, allowing himself an impish grin. "Do you think you can round up the kids and take the wagon out of here? The goons will be waking up soon, won't they? We should get out of here before they come to."