New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    No.. sorry... but that idea is off the field.
    We are not training adult soldiers aimed for warzones like that.
    These are not soldiers. And they are not adults either.

As for the battle between Midoria and Baukugo. All Might repeatedly said he should have stopped it back then.
    And when Deku were hit directly with the last shot, we saw that it was not leathal force behind the blasts. It did not even look like it broke anything.
    Yes, Bakugo does not kill, he doesn't even try to kill, EVER. This isn't that kind of series. Bakugo doesn't hold back when fights, but people seem to confuse, "Not holding back" , with " Striking Lethal Intent " Those are not remotely the same thing.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Here's the thing about Bakugo, Shouting " Murder, and Kill" , ect are just catchphrases for him. He's never once in the entire series actually used his powers with murderous intent. He's never injured anyone, even a villain to any serious degree. Bakugo shouts and screams, but he's actually never done serious harm.
    Yes Bakugo shouts Murder and Kill as verbal words like he has an impulsive disorder with language (such as Tourettes) but his actual motor movements of things not his mouth, not his face, is extremely controlled and precise.

It is like his brain has an "impulse" / "an id desire" and the desire during the process of being activated as a motor movement is changed and shaped into another thing. Yet part of the impulse is revealed to the external public for Bakugo mouth gets feedback from the original impulse prior to everything else being shaped / controlled / transformed into something else.

----

You get to do this in fiction, and part of the reason it is done is to point out to others our perceptions are not the same thing as actual reality. What people think of Bakugo is not necessary what Bakugo is trying to do, what he is trying to "aspire to," not his intent. It points out the false dichotomy of what intent is for intent is not 1 thing but a flow of many things that get transformed in the process of doing one thing. Intent itself is composite, a multi stage process.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Can't read the latest chapter yet because it's not out yet but I will put in my two cents on the Todoroki melt down thing.
    Sure it is, I just read it 5 minutes ago.

Spoiler
    Show
    Personally I think it makes sense that some weaker core of various quirks that the other people that held OfA have been present in the quirk all along. I’m curious what exactly set it off to activate this generation though. The quirk owner mentioned that it was stronger then it was before because it was 8 generations in but didn’t explicitly say that was why it went off now. If it was only strong enough to activate now then I think it would just be at the level it was at in life not stronger.

So with the math it looks like All Might and Deku are the only people to both wield the quirk while also being quirkless since the first generation. I wonder if that might be the trigger. Someone who doesn’t already have a quirk inside them so that means they can use whatever extra powers are floating around. Only All Might was just such a savant with OfA that he just never pulled from the rest of these quirks. Sort of like how he never seems to have hurt himself when using the quirk at it’s max power. At least that’s my guess. Either way it makes sense as an interesting way to move Deku up the power curve without having him master OfA to early.

As for them not stopping the fight, nothing has happened that goes to far past all the various other super strong punches getting thrown around in these fights and they seem to have gotten him back under control so it’s likely to soon to end the training exercise.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Are we sure that All Might was quirkless? He could have a weird quirk like not suffering the drawbacks of his quirk much like the original bearer of One for All had a power transferring quirk which is useless if you have no other quirk.

Well with this logic All Might was able to instantly use One for All for he had over a decade of using his "invulnerability" / "no downsides quirks." Deku did not have this, for even if he gains this quirk with gaining One for All it was "recessive" / "inert" / "subdued" until recently. While the power transference quirk was active. Thus Deku himself suffered the Drawbacks of the Power Storing and Release nature of One for All instantly while All Might did not.

This in turn will explain why Deku can "power swap" while the other bearers of One for All only can do the power storage and release, their original quirk, and the power transfereance to a next generation. This is because Deku himself is quirkless and thus he needs to learn how to use these additional quirks one at a time, and eventually two at a time which is much more complicated than doing one at a time (liking looking left and right at the same time, much like how Icy Hot can use both sides simultaneously but it is so weird that it works so much more effortlessly when he uses only one power at a time and switches between them.)

5. - Top - End - #995
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are we sure that All Might was quirkless? He could have a weird quirk like not suffering the drawbacks of his quirk much like the original bearer of One for All had a power transferring quirk which is useless if you have no other quirk.

Well with this logic All Might was able to instantly use One for All for he had over a decade of using his "invulnerability" / "no downsides quirks." Deku did not have this, for even if he gains this quirk with gaining One for All it was "recessive" / "inert" / "subdued" until recently. While the power transference quirk was active. Thus Deku himself suffered the Drawbacks of the Power Storing and Release nature of One for All instantly while All Might did not.

This in turn will explain why Deku can "power swap" while the other bearers of One for All only can do the power storage and release, their original quirk, and the power transfereance to a next generation. This is because Deku himself is quirkless and thus he needs to learn how to use these additional quirks one at a time, and eventually two at a time which is much more complicated than doing one at a time (liking looking left and right at the same time, much like how Icy Hot can use both sides simultaneously but it is so weird that it works so much more effortlessly when he uses only one power at a time and switches between them.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Actually The Game Theorists actually did a whole episode on the theory that All Might has a quirk that lets him expand his muscles to contain the power of OfA that he just never knew about. Mechanically the theory is sound but I wonder if it works thematically with the story.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Actually The Game Theorists actually did a whole episode on the theory that All Might has a quirk that lets him expand his muscles to contain the power of OfA that he just never knew about. Mechanically the theory is sound but I wonder if it works thematically with the story.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn't.

All-Might was originally Quirkless and empowered just like Midoriya. the theory directly contradicts canon.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-01-19 at 03:09 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #997
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn't.

All-Might was originally Quirkless and empowered just like Midoriya. the theory directly contradicts canon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    All Might believes he was quirkless before he gained AfO. Much like the first person to gain the power also thought he had no quirk. I don’t think the theory is true for thematic reasons but the logic in the theory video is internally sound with the setting.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    All Might believes he was quirkless before he gained AfO. Much like the first person to gain the power also thought he had no quirk. I don’t think the theory is true for thematic reasons but the logic in the theory video is internally sound with the setting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    the fact that it makes sense doesn't make the video good.

its about the spirit of the show and thematics which are far more important than Game Theorists who as usual make trashy theory content that are just stupid. their theories often aren't even interesting enough to merit the time spent making them.

taking anything the Game Theorists say with a grain of salt at best is a good rule of thumb.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Nods

Spoiler: MHA 213 and All Might
    Show
    Thematically it will work well if the quirk he had was shock absorption and redirection via inflating his muscles (or something onto that extent.)

This way you can bring up this scene.

Shock Absorption not Shock Nullification. But rephrase it / restructure it as Shock Redirection for All Might. His Quirk is Shock Redirection.

And then bring up the concept of Pathos but do not bring up the Greek Word that means suffering / experience / things that order the passions but instead the Nietzschean concept of "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." But All Might and Deku will disagree with how Nietzsche framed the words and say experiences transform you, suffering transforms you, and you are not the same after the experience. How you respond is important and makes you what you are.

And this is in turn will allow you to say All for One, Artificial Humans, etc are flawed powers. They are borrowed powers without being transformed by experience, just grafted onto someone else. No learning, no processing, no subjectivity. It is okay to borrow powers from others, it is okay to model yourself after others, but the important thing is to be transformed by the experience and to take that model and make it your own in the end and make it into a new thing. Your thing.

And this will have interplay for in the end One for All will be transferred to Tomura Shigaraki, but after the transfer he is going to reject his previous master in at least in part, he is going to have to severe some form of connection with him in the past or else he is not his own thing. In fact All for One wants this to occur, he wants Tomura Shigaraki to be his own man, to understand the concept of loss and regeneration and be his own ideal whatever that is.

-----

Then again I see Tomura Shigaraki as a proxy for another similar but different character. Everyone talks about how the Izuku / Deku vs Bakugo is so much better than Naruto vs Sasuke. Well I see way too much Kotomine Kirei in Tomura Shigaraki. Tomura Shigaraki is a person who loves to break other peoples dreams for its own sake, a specific type of sadist who does not get sadistic pleasure from all things, but only certain things much like Kotomine Kirei. This in turn is a comparison point with Kotomine Kirei with Shirou Emiya who gets pleasure in helping others for their own sake much like Izuku / Deku wants to help others.

(Of course there are numerous differences between Shirou and Izuku, Kotomine Kirei and Tomura Shigaraki.)

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    the fact that it makes sense doesn't make the video good.

its about the spirit of the show and thematics which are far more important than Game Theorists who as usual make trashy theory content that are just stupid. their theories often aren't even interesting enough to merit the time spent making them.

taking anything the Game Theorists say with a grain of salt at best is a good rule of thumb.
    Wow uh, did Matpat run over your dog or something? I get it if you don’t think the theory works in story for thematic reasons. It’s the same reason I don’t think it works. But calling the entire channel stupid trash not worth even making is a bit much. Especially when you consider the immense amount of effort they put into research for some of that stuff.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Wow uh, did Matpat run over your dog or something? I get it if you don’t think the theory works in story for thematic reasons. It’s the same reason I don’t think it works. But calling the entire channel stupid trash not worth even making is a bit much. Especially when you consider the immense amount of effort they put into research for some of that stuff.
    That theory they did with All-Might is tactless and against what the character stands for, and they did that stupid "Sans is Ness" theory before that. Matpat himself is nothing but this annoying guy who thinks he is smarter than he actually is, making up pretentious stupidity when really he doesn't know what he is talking about. like calling some indie game the "the next Undertale" when the only similarity it has with Undertale is having a heart on the front of its cover, or how about the "Termina is really purgatory and they're all dead" theory which is about as original as recycling something IN SPACE!

whats his next theory, that Ash Ketchum is in a coma? there is no way I'm taking him seriously.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly the only Matpat videos I can stomach are the ones where he does. Actual math. Like the one where he calculated how much Bakugou needs to sweat to make big explosions (granted his sweat could just be that potent an explosive but it's a pretty funny conclusion all the same)

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not really gonna go back and watch an episode to cite this, but

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm 90% sure that Nana explicitly mentions that he's Quirkless in one of the flashbacks during the fight with All for One. I believe it's when she's talking to Gran Torino. Again, without hardcore medical records provided by the author, we'd never know for sure, but I've been taking this at face value.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfThyme View Post
    I'm not really gonna go back and watch an episode to cite this, but

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm 90% sure that Nana explicitly mentions that he's Quirkless in one of the flashbacks during the fight with All for One. I believe it's when she's talking to Gran Torino. Again, without hardcore medical records provided by the author, we'd never know for sure, but I've been taking this at face value.
    Yes I acknowledge this...BUT

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember in the backstory for All for One and One for All that AfO thought his younger brother was quirkless but in reality he actually had a quirk, he just has a useless quirk (on its own) without being overlaid by a 2nd quirk that transformed the original quirk.

So why can't the same logic apply to All Might / Toshinori Yagi?

He could have a useless quirk on its own, a quirk he didn't even realize he had, until it was layered onto One for All?

----

Sidenote Toshinori Yagi

俊典 Toshinori 俊 toshi as in sagacious / genius / excellence + 典 nori as in ceremony / rule.

八木 Yagi 八 ya as in the number 8 + 木 gi as in tree.

So the 8th bearer of One For All, and the one who shows the excellence that it is capable of. A "Symbol of Peace?" But behind that sacred symbol there is also a normal human man, flesh and bones, and in some ways even weaker than most?

A man who is a giving tree with being the symbol of peace, but he has to teach his disciple, his heir, not to give freely without understanding the consequences of ones actions? Do not be like me, instead be your own thing?

In effect the rebuilding of the Grand Ise Jingu shrine every 20 years.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Game Theory is all about the most tenuous of connections and wild leaps to silly conclusions in order to support something they've completely made up.

It's the opposite of actual theory, hypothesis, or real understanding of anything.

It's fanfiction with pretensions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember in the backstory for All for One and One for All that AfO thought his younger brother was quirkless but in reality he actually had a quirk, he just has a useless quirk (on its own) without being overlaid by a 2nd quirk that transformed the original quirk.

He could have a useless quirk on its own, a quirk he didn't even realize he had, until it was layered onto One for All?
    Spoiler
    Show
    And he could be three weasels in a human suit and when he goes into muscle form they just call their weasel friends to bulk them up. They're really fast weasels so you don't see it happen.

That's just as likely, especially given the principal.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2019-01-19 at 05:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Troll in the Playground

That theory they did with All-Might is tactless and against what the character stands for, and they did that stupid "Sans is Ness" theory before that. Matpat himself is nothing but this annoying guy who thinks he is smarter than he actually is, making up pretentious stupidity when really he doesn't know what he is talking about. like calling some indie game the "the next Undertale" when the only similarity it has with Undertale is having a heart on the front of its cover, or how about the "Termina is really purgatory and they're all dead" theory which is about as original as recycling something IN SPACE!

whats his next theory, that Ash Ketchum is in a coma? there is no way I'm taking him seriously.
    Gotcha so you were just tragically born without a sense of humor and Matpat ran over your dog once so you hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Game Theory is all about the most tenuous of connections and wild leaps to silly conclusions in order to support something they've completely made up.

It's the opposite of actual theory, hypothesis, or real understanding of anything.

It's fanfiction with pretensions.

Spoiler
    Show
    And he could be three weasels in a human suit and when he goes into muscle form they just call their weasel friends to bulk them up. They're really fast weasels so you don't see it happen.

Sure some of them get fairly goofy but those are obviously for humors sake. They also do a lot of more serious and in depth stuff like the diving into 5 Nights at Freddie’s lore accurately super accurately. Or the Deltarune videos they did recently. Or even a lot of the joke ones which tend to work by applying logic to silly game mechanics. You know, the ones where they put forth theories and hypothesis and then go through the logic of things to back the up. Or do you actually watch the videos. Like the one I mentioned about All Might. Where they actually go through the internal logic of the setting to try and prove the idea that All Might could have have a hitherto unkown quirk that let him handle AfO better then what we have seen from the previous users or Deku. You think the theory doesn’t make sense that fine just say so. But don’t start pretending the people who put it together are all morons because it’s easier then actually engaging with the argument. It doesn’t make you look smart. It just makes you look like a massive *******.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, this is true. 10,000 different possibilities exist, "a myriad", "a wan" of possibilities exist of what could happen next in a story. Debating these infinite possibilities is an exercise of figuring out what makes a story satisfying and enjoyable.

One looks at a Kaleidoscope in order to be shown something new, a new image, a new color, and this "suprise" brings us joy. But there is also another type of joy where we try to predict what happens next and create our own stories in our head. This is how music is enjoyable to the brain, we humans are temporal predictors even if we try not to be this brain circuitry still is trying to predict the future. Well music is something that is a mixture of things we can almost predict but also with enough randomness we can't have a 100% certanitty and thus we are in the moment paying attention and listening.

My Hero Academia and other stories for me is much the same way. But other people derive joy from it for other reasons, not just the mixture of anticipation and surprise that causes me delight.

Sidenote: Your spoiler suggestion of the mechanics is why Bleach was such a disappointment in the end

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Colossus in the Playground

Sure it is, I just read it 5 minutes ago.
    Not legally, anyway. I don't read ****ty fanscans anymore. Neither should anyone else, honestly, though I understand why you might.

MatPat sucks and Game Theory is bad. Their research is half baked at best.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Yes he COULD have a useless Quirk, thats not what is being discussed, Ramza.

Its about whether he SHOULD.

and he shouldn't, because the first episode. that episode is all about Deku convincing All-Might that he should be given All For One, despite having no Quirk. when All-Might was going to give it to someone with a Quirk. when All-Might himself never had one before All For One. Toshinori knows where Deku is coming from and isn't giving Deku the same chance as him until Deku acts and out and reminds Toshinori what being a hero is all about- its not about the Quirk, its about the person who uses it. and that a lot of what the Symbol of Peace DOES has nothing to do with their actual Quirk. and that if Toshinori passes over Deku, he is throwing away a person who is more important than whatever power you get from combining the Quirks. its about a passing of the torch in a world where usually this occurs down a bloodline, but with All-Might there is an opportunity to uplift someone otherwise "normal" like Deku to be powerful to break the ceiling. Its from one Quirkless to another.

but if All-Might has some quirk in addition to that, well, its like, just another guy with a Quirk who handed power to Deku, it doesn't have as much meaning.

its like "okay why did you go back on the first episode there, why did you make that scene with Deku less meaningful?"

that and there is nothing saying that Toshinori didn't just master a different part of the One For All Quirk. Like how Deku is using the quirk differently from All-Might by developing a kick-based style, All-Might could've developed One For All differently from Nana who might've never discovered the inflated muscle trick. similarly, other heroes in Class 1A could be using their Quirks differently than the people they inherited it from. the whole "All-Might inflated muscle trick" doesn't need a second quirk explanation, its just something that Toshinori learned to master for his public image that Deku either doesn't need to learn or hasn't cared enough to figure out how. Maybe he will learn it, maybe he won't. doesn't really matter unless comes an arc where it does.

that and the All-Might persona is played half for laughs, to the point where Deku once made the All-Might face as a gag
    So that makes me think that Deku is perfectly capable of doing that trick- he just doesn't bother.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Troll in the Playground

Not legally, anyway. I don't read ****ty fanscans anymore. Neither should anyone else, honestly, though I understand why you might.

MatPat sucks and Game Theory is bad. Their research is half baked at best.
    I pay for the subscription for the back issues of various series I’ve been needing to catch up with or reread some classics without the inconvenience of add laden scan sites. And half of those turned out to be volume only and the reader is a pain in the but on mobile. They want me to care about the simulscan stuff they do on top of all that then they shouldn’t be late putting them up. Also if you, like all the other people who seem to be only capable or repeating the words “Matpat sucks and is bad because he is bad”, would like to actually comment on some logical flaw you see with the theory in question by all means do so. It would be more useful to having an actual conversation then “I don’t like it so it’s wrong.”

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's the thing about Matpat though. He never tries to claim that his interpretation is the truth, or even the only interpretation of events. Just that it's a theory you can come to based on stuff he's dug up.

Like his whole Rosalina and Mario Galaxy one. He knows and We know that Rosalina isn't Peach's Daughter, and that's because we have Word of god stating that, he does however dig up what she was originally designed to be and let people know about that.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ettin in the Playground

I pay for the subscription for the back issues of various series I’ve been needing to catch up with or reread some classics without the inconvenience of add laden scan sites. And half of those turned out to be volume only and the reader is a pain in the but on mobile. They want me to care about the simulscan stuff they do on top of all that then they shouldn’t be late putting them up. Also if you, like all the other people who seem to be only capable or repeating the words “Matpat sucks and is bad because he is bad”, would like to actually comment on some logical flaw you see with the theory in question by all means do so. It would be more useful to having an actual conversation then “I don’t like it so it’s wrong.”
    (I do not care about Matpat for I haven't seen his videos.)

Perhaps others are arguing Matpat sucks (your words) because he is not good at ordering nature. Stories have their own internal logic and trying to apply consistency to stories some people see as foolhardy. Trying to organize other people stories, to find the hidden nature is in a ways injecting your own meaning into a story that may be compatible or may not be compatible with the author's original vision. Some people do not like this.

(Now me I am on the mixture of this, sometimes I find it fun and sometimes I think people are being absurd. It is play after all, one should have the freedom to play but not try to force other people into their "fandom" delusions here I mean fandom as in fanatic "of a sacred / temple, divinely inspired, frenzied." Aka do not be Tyrian from RWBY for he is fun to watch but he is boring / bad when he tries to convert others to his point of view and suddenly everyone is uncomfortable.)

23. - Top - End - #1013

They do release it on time. They're not late. Scanlations have always come out "first" because they're stolen before they're actually publically released! The simulpub release is now actually 100% in sync. We get them the same time Japan does, you choose to take stolen copies.

Yo **** off I don't have time to explain every single myriad way Matpat's dumb show is bad. The research is half baked at best and just flatout wrong at worse. It completely ignores any actual sensible conclusion and just jumps to whatever nonsense he's shooting for. Every episode I've seen that isn't him directly fluffing Five Nights and it's games are him just being an actual, genuinely unfunny idiot who doesn't know half of what he talks about and has an annoying as hell punchable voice.

As for the All Might one sure, let's talk about it. First off, from a pure raw story standpoint, as Raziere as so helpfully noted; it goes against the entire series. All Might having a quirk that does that is ridiculous a joke at best, and completely counter to every single actual goal of the series. The series makes it explicitly clear that his buff form is JUST him flexing. That's him posing to look heroic and powerful when he is in truth in horrible pain nearly all the time. The entire point is that he is the SYMBOL of peace, but the man underneath is broken. As well, him being quirkless, explicitly, makes his connection with Deku deeper on a thematic level. Deku has a literal icon to look up to. He could be like this. There is no difference between the two.

Now, why does All Might have such an easy time with the power? That's obvious. The show makes it obvious. All Might needs to buy a book to teach him how to teach because he's subtly shown through his every action as a teacher that he is someone who "can just figure it out" in action. He's a savant when it comes to that sort of stuff. He explicitly says "you just gotta FEEL it" which is the exact same thing I've heard kids who are "naturally" smart or skilled say. They don't now how to describe their own ability because for them it's just entirely natural. Gran Torino also makes it clear, because he outright SAYS THIS. All might was a born natural when it comes to this, so all he did for training was beat combat into him.

So there. That's why I find MatPat's video to be garbage.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Troll in the Playground

They do release it on time. They're not late. Scanlations have always come out "first" because they're stolen before they're actually publically released! The simulpub release is now actually 100% in sync. We get them the same time Japan does, you choose to take stolen copies.
    Well todays my day off so I read it today. They got my money either way.

Yo **** off I don't have time to explain every single myriad way Matpat's dumb show is bad. The research is half baked at best and just flatout wrong at worse. It completely ignores any actual sensible conclusion and just jumps to whatever nonsense he's shooting for. Every episode I've seen that isn't him directly fluffing Five Nights and it's games are him just being an actual, genuinely unfunny idiot who doesn't know half of what he talks about and has an annoying as hell punchable voice.
    Gotcha so you don’t want to actually back up the statement, and would rather just go in about how you don’t find it funny or like the like the guy making the stuff. Good for you, doesn’t actually have much to do with how right or wrong or well researched the theories, most of which are jokes anyways, actually are. Your just talking about subjective things you don’t like about it.
    As for the All Might one sure, let's talk about it. First off, from a pure raw story standpoint, as Raziere as so helpfully noted; it goes against the entire series. All Might having a quirk that does that is ridiculous a joke at best, and completely counter to every single actual goal of the series. The series makes it explicitly clear that his buff form is JUST him flexing. That's him posing to look heroic and powerful when he is in truth in horrible pain nearly all the time. The entire point is that he is the SYMBOL of peace, but the man underneath is broken. As well, him being quirkless, explicitly, makes his connection with Deku deeper on a thematic level. Deku has a literal icon to look up to. He could be like this. There is no difference between the two.
    Yea I agree that it doesn’t make thematic sense. I’ve said that repeatedly. That has nothing to do with the fact that it could just as easily be explained by him having an unknown quirk.

Now, why does All Might have such an easy time with the power? That's obvious. The show makes it obvious. All Might needs to buy a book to teach him how to teach because he's subtly shown through his every action as a teacher that he is someone who "can just figure it out" in action. He's a savant when it comes to that sort of stuff. He explicitly says "you just gotta FEEL it" which is the exact same thing I've heard kids who are "naturally" smart or skilled say. They don't now how to describe their own ability because for them it's just entirely natural. Gran Torino also makes it clear, because he outright SAYS THIS. All might was a born natural when it comes to this, so all he did for training was beat combat into him.

So there. That's why I find MatPat's video to be garbage.
    Yea, which is what I already said for why I think All Might never tapped into any the weirdness going on as opposed to him secretly having one. Which also explains why Deku would have access to it without it just being time based which several people seem to think would be unsatisfactory. Again. Thematically it doesn’t make sense. But it’s also not totally unreasonable based on what we have seen in the series so far.

(I do not care about Matpat for I haven't seen his videos.)

Perhaps others are arguing Matpat sucks (your words) because he is not good at ordering nature. Stories have their own internal logic and trying to apply consistency to stories some people see as foolhardy. Trying to organize other people stories, to find the hidden nature is in a ways injecting your own meaning into a story that may be compatible or may not be compatible with the author's original vision. Some people do not like this.
    Oh yea almost every theory works by applying real world logic to some aspect of a fictional world for the sake of a joke. Some people don’t like that or find it funny. Good for them, that doesn’t mean the people involved are idiots. I only even recommended the one about All Might having a quirk because it’s one of the more seriously thought out ones and was relevant to the discussion at hand.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2019-01-19 at 07:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1015

Well todays my day off so I read it today. They got my money either way.

Gotcha so you don’t want to actually back up the statement, and would rather just go in about how you don’t find it funny or like the like the guy making the stuff. Good for you, doesn’t actually have much to do with how right or wrong or well researched the theories, most of which are jokes anyways, actually are. Your just talking about subjective things you don’t like about it.

Yea I agree that it doesn’t make thematic sense. I’ve said that repeatedly. That has nothing to do with the fact that it could just as easily be explained by him having an unknown quirk.

Yea, which is what I already said for why I think All Might never tapped into any the weirdness going on as opposed to him secretly having one. Which also explains why Deku would have access to it without it just being time based which several people seem to think would be unsatisfactory. Again. Thematically it doesn’t make sense. But it’s also not totally unreasonable based on what we have seen in the series so far.
    You're free to do so. Still ****ty behavior.

I'm perfectly willing to back up my statement I just have no reason or desire to. And it's pretty objective that MatPat's a **** head.

Yes it does. There's no reason at all for it to be explained by an unknown quirk. It doesn't make sense in universe. Why else would they think he doesn't have a quirk, given how more advanced quirk science is now. They'd KNOW if he had a quirk or not, even if the manifestation exists. And why would All Might lie about it, if he did know? It raises too many questions and doesn't make a lick of sense in universe. Your theory is bad. The easiest, and most sensible, explanation is that All Might doesn't have a quirk.

I can't talk about spoilers because I don't do crime so this is pointless to mean. Thank you for at least trying not to spoil it, but please keep it in your pants until the actual chapter is out.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Because medical science has advanced in the 150-200 years since Quirks emerging, to the point where all you really need to know if you have a Quirk factor is to go to the doctor when you're a kid.

Remember, the world was undergoing serious societal overhaul because of the sudden influx of individuals with Quirks when All for One was starting out. If his brother couldn't have any ability that he could show, it would be entirely fair to take him at face value and say "Hey, maybe my little bro doesn't have a Quirk." All for One didn't have science to check and confirm that his younger brother didn't have a Quirk. Society has kind of gotten back on its feet by the time Toshinori comes along, and it's not a huge stretch to say that the required medical tests have been developed in the 100-150 years since then.

Furthermore, it's also kind of lazy, from a writing point of view. You establish that the first user of One for All never had a Quirk, and make a big deal out of both the 7th and 8th users not having Quirks. It's a huge blow to the underlying themes of the series - that it's your character that makes you a hero, not your power - to suddenly decide that All Might or Deku had a secret Quirk this whole time.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Troll in the Playground

You're free to do so. Still ****ty behavior.
    I fail to see how. They get my money and I’m not running behind on discussion for the latest stuff. Everyone wins.

I'm perfectly willing to back up my statement I just have no reason or desire to. And it's pretty objective that MatPat's a **** head.
    Gotcha so it’s so self obvious that thing you don’t like is bad, mostly just because you dislike it apparently, and you don’t need to explain otherwise.

Yes it does. There's no reason at all for it to be explained by an unknown quirk. It doesn't make sense in universe. Why else would they think he doesn't have a quirk, given how more advanced quirk science is now. They'd KNOW if he had a quirk or not, even if the manifestation exists. And why would All Might lie about it, if he did know? It raises too many questions and doesn't make a lick of sense in universe. Your theory is bad. The easiest, and most sensible, explanation is that All Might doesn't have a quirk.
    Sure that’s the easier and most sensible explainaion. But that isn’t remotely the point of fan theories. There are plenty of ways for them totally miss it if All Might had some kind of unknown quirk he never knew about that let him master OfA so easily. Especially if it was the idea of a quirk that would be totally impossible to activate outside of those circumstances.
    I can't talk about spoilers because I don't do crime so this is pointless to mean. Thank you for at least trying not to spoil it, but please keep it in your pants until the actual chapter is out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snape kills All Might to gain the final drafonball.

28. - Top - End - #1018

Gotcha so it’s so self obvious that thing you don’t like is bad, mostly just because you dislike it apparently, and you don’t need to explain otherwise.

Sure that’s the easier and most sensible explainaion. But that isn’t remotely the point of fan theories. There are plenty of ways for them totally miss it if All Might had some kind of unknown quirk he never knew about that let him master OfA so easily. Especially if it was the idea of a quirk that would be totally impossible to activate outside of those circumstances.

Spoiler
    Show
    Snape kills All Might to gain the final drafonball.
    I was talking more on a personal level than his show, which I'll admit I merely just dislike because of how stupid I find it. You're allowed to like it, I just have no desire to interact with it. MatPat the actual person ****ing sucks and that's all I'll say about it.

Epileptic Trees are stupid nonsense that are counter to actually deep understanding of stories. Not everyone is Jesus in pergatory. There is no way for them to have missed Toshinori having a quirk, and him mastering it via a quirk is so counter to the series themes that it borders on offensive.

Yes yes it's very funny to taunt someone for not liking spoilers. Har har.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

I think another important thing to point out regarding All Mights muscular form, is that he is an adult.
    Who have had a lifetime adjusting to One For All. That could easily have influensed things on their own.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ettin in the Playground

So what do you suppose would be the best, or at least the most plausible, explanation for Deku spontaneously manifesting 6 other quirks?

EDIT: that is, what is Deku going to tell people?
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-01-20 at 07:41 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.