New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Plague of Nightmares IC

"The only person I'd know who has any magical abilities of note would be the magician my house kept on contract... but I have no idea if he'd even know much of trans-world curses, never mind the fact I have no way to contact him. My land is not one thick with magic. Father Artorius has some of blessed Vitay's gifts, though I don't know how strongly they were bestowed upon him. Either way, they do not seem to be enough to resolve the issue by themselves."
    At the advice to prepare for the worst, Yvonne's mouth slanted grimly, but she nodded tightly.
    "Father Artorius is a... good friend. It would grieve me to see him harmed. It was he who introduced me into Vitay's service, and helped me find a less... unruly path than the one I was on. You need not worry," she added. "I'll not let my guard down."

If Father Artorius was harmed... it would be another tragedy to carve reparations for from the heart of whatever is behind the Plague.

This entire damned province is cursed. To hell with it, Yvonne thought darkly. She'd be glad to see the back of it, with its strange and misshapen people and vile secrets crawling in every corner. Ah, if only she could take Yuria with her and not return.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    "Toady? Oh no he is more like a pet than a familiar. Toady is very stupid and too fat to be helpful as a familiar! I was hoping there is a spell to summon a familiar. I know my Master had a spell just like it."

Zuzu scrunches up his face. "What are these and what do they do?" he asks suspiciously as he casts Detect Magic by moving his pointer finger in circles around his eyes and intoning the words "Cognosco Incantamentum!"
    Toady ribbits almost as if complemented by your blatant insults at him, he must take great pride in being "stupid" and "fat". That, or its just a frog so it can't understand a thing you are saying and are just imagining it using nonverbal communication cues that actually have meaning behind them.

Thrognic seems way to joyful to say what he will next. "Ehh, that's what 'ey all say. 'ey called ol' Thrognic 'ere stupid and fat too, but look at where I am now! A retired-ed-ed-ed master difiner! Don' underes'imae somethin' on dose grounds."

He then goes to a bookshelf and starts leafing through random books at a rapid speed, apparently looking for something. While that is occurring, your spell pings all the objects as magical. One by one you check their school.

1) Some of the cards in the of tarot cards contain Illusion magic, but the box itself and most of the cards have nothing magical about them.

2) The mask has a strong sign of Divination magic.

3) The pan flutes have a moderate reading of conjuration, with a slight reading of enchantment

4) The ring has a moderate trace of abjuration magic, and an even smaller trace of divination magic.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Ok Mr. Thrognic sir. If you throw in a spell scroll for Find Familiar, you have a deal!"
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Seeing that all of the other errands are attended to, Yvonne leads the way to the McTharmon stables to acquire steeds for the upcoming journey to the monastery. Its going to take at least a day to get there on horseback as the monastery was built far enough from town for some much needed solitude but not so far that getting resources from Krangar would be impossible.

The stables were the first place you saw in town when you came from the Gates of Senckried, and you remember them distinctly because they seemed to be the only building here not made of stone. But upon closer inspection, the wood it is made of is so petrified that it may as well be stone ( Senckried can't have anything soft about it apparently). You are almost completely certain that this was simply a barn that was reappropriated into stable, and not many changes were really made to the structure at all. The horses are certainly not lacking in room at least.

Yvonne, as a trained knight you are well experienced with distinguishing between professional horse trainers and people who just purchase whatever random assortment of beasts of burden travelling people have no need for. This particular stable is far in the latter category, and you highly doubt any of the horses here were actually bred here. Come to think of it, most of the creatures in here aren't even actually horses. This place is full of the oddest amalgamation of mules, donkeys, mongrel horses, llamas, and you are fairly certain also a yak. For some reason there is also a mating pair of camels, which you are frankly amazed at how they are even surviving this far North. All of these animals were probably sold to the stable owner by travelling groups that for whatever reason fond the animals a liability to have. Perhaps they were sick, injured, elderly, pregnant or too stubborn to use effectively; or perhaps the owner died and their allies decided to self of the creature rather than keep it.

Luckily at least it seems like the stable owner cares, even if the family here is too poor to afford much for the beasts. While none seem like they are in peak health, none of them seem malnourished, which is more than can be said for most poor stables such as this. And the stable owners has clearly tried to make sure that they are as clean as possible, and while they don't particularly seem "healthy", none appear to have any apparent severe illnesses.

It is evident that this is a family run business, as you can see all six of the stable owner's children ranging from ages 6-18 working to tend the animals. You don't see their father around, but their mother is there to give you a small tip of the hat once you enter and walks towards you. She explains to you the prices for each of the animals, apparently from rote memory, which is quite an impressive feat really given the amount of them (it's not like anyone in the family here would be literate enough to write a sign displaying the prices). Of course, these prices are higher than they should be, but that's because in a place like this they expect the buyer to haggle the cost down to something more suitable to them.

All steeds start at 50 silver pieces, but you may try to convince the breeder here to lower the price. If you wish to purchase an animal, please describe it to me.

"Ok Mr. Thrognic sir. If you throw in a spell scroll for Find Familiar, you have a deal!"
    Thrognic blinks a little confused at this. "What do ya think ye are tryin' to pull over ol' Thrognic here. You can trade one of the items for tha staff, not all of 'em. Or perhaps two if ye make a good 'nough case. An' a spell scroll for Fine' Faliar' should be simple 'nough, it's dirt cheap to make 'em."
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Only one?" Zuzu pouts. "You didn't even tell me what they can do! How am I supposed to choose?"

Then he makes a sad face.

Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-02-02 at 06:10 AM.
    Now Playing

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"Only one?" Zuzu pouts. "You didn't even tell me what they can do! How am I supposed to choose?"

Then he makes a sad face.
    Thrognic's eyes seem to indicate that he is experiencing a "eureka" moment upon hearing.

"Oh, yes, I didn' reely explain to ya what de did, did I. Welp, we 'ad best get to 'at den."

"Some of da cards here in this deck o' customized Major Arcana Tarot Cards are enchanted with illusion magic. If you insert one of the gems on the outside of da box her' into a slot on the card and threrw it on the ground, then an illusory creature will form over the card. You can even control the illusion's moton's and move it a little bit oway from the card. Often tims the type of illusory creature corresponds with the card's symbol, but this relation is often quite unexpected! Eventually dough the card will just combust and the illusion 'ill fail. This 'ere used ta be full o' magic cards, but only ten of the speecial ones 're left."

"If ya don this 'ere mask then you can see into da Astral Plane. Dat means that everything 'ppears for what it symbolically stands for, and not what it physically is. 'tis difficult to explain if you never seen into the Astral plan' afore. Be a little careful with it dough, I seen some shocking things dat makes me shiver!"

"This ere set o' pan flutes if played can summon a swarm of nasty little critters. Bats, rats or vicious little piranhas! They will serve under ya for a 'hort time, but be careful, eventually they will break free of yer control and try ta run off. And if you are in the way you are runnin', why, then they'd gobble you whole! Should warn ya though, you can only use it once a da'."

"And this ring here will protect you from all kinds of divinations. Noten' can scry ya, read yer mind, magically detec' weder your lyin' or not, or detect yer true form. A cool lil' trick I found with this, is that if ye are under a magical disguise, than nothin' can see through it, no madder how hard day try."
    -

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zuzu takes the ring and fondles it for ten minutes.

"So, um, do I need to know how to play pan flutes to use this instrument, or can I blow on it and it just works?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Identify on ring as a ritual. I'm guessing it is a Ring of Mind Shielding (with added benefit of making illusory magic undetectable), and the flute is the Pipes of the Sewers (with only 1 charge a day), but Zuzu doesn't know that.

The other two items, I can't identify. I'm not crazy about consumable magic items, and I don't think having TrueSight is all that important at low levels.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-02-04 at 12:28 AM.
    Now Playing

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Zuzu takes the ring and fondles it for ten minutes.

"So, um, do I need to know how to play pan flutes to use this instrument, or can I blow on it and it just works?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Identify on ring as a ritual. I'm guessing it is a Ring of Mind Shielding (with added benefit of making illusory magic undetectable), and the flute is the Pipes of the Sewers (with only 1 charge a day), but Zuzu doesn't know that.

The other two items, I can't identify. I'm not crazy about consumable magic items, and I don't think having TrueSight is all that important at low levels.
    As you are rubbing the ring and choosing, Thrognic has an ecstatic glea in his eyes when he answers your first question. "My boy, when you hold tha flutes, you just know how ta play 'em! Even if ye never picked up a flute 'fore, ye can play it 'erfectly with dis. So long as ye are attuneded to it, dat is."

Your identify reveals the ring as a...

Spoiler: Ring of Nondetection
    Show

Ring, Uncommon
    While wearing this ring, you are immune to the effects of any divination spell or similar feature. Nothing can telepathically communicate with you unless you consciously allow them to. Magical sensors not specifically meant to target don't disappear in your presence, but they cannot sense your whatsoever.
    -

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Does Zuzu trust Thrognic's words?

Insight: (d20)[1]

Yep, yep he does. Blindly in fact.

===

"I don't know, Mr. Thrognic sir. It's pretty cool to have my mind shielded and all, but who wants to invade my privacy anyway? I have nothing to hide. That pipe also sounds nice, but piranhas? That sounds very scary sir. I might be better off with this scepter, even for sentimental reasons. It is my first combat capture, after all."

The gnome makes the motion to leave, secretly hoping that Thrognic will stop him and try to sweeten the deal even more.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Zuzu is trying to get a better deal.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-02-04 at 11:37 PM.
    Now Playing

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

Yvonne looked around at the wide array of creatures with bemusement. In truth, she'd expected a few sickly-looking draught animals - a few horses, some donkeys or asses, perhaps a pony or two - not a menagerie of ungulates. She looked at the various beasts, trying to determine the best animal suited for her needs - a horse that would be able to bear the weight of a knight for a days ride, that would not shy too easily or rebelliously rear up when mounted.

She disregarded the other animals - an alpaca could not bear the weight of her and all her steel, and her pride would not let her ride an ox. She took a moment to marvel at the strangeness of the camels - she'd heard of the creatures before, of course, but nonetheless they were bizarre looking - before she dismissed those as well. She didn't know what quirks a camel might have.

"I am the Knightess Yvonne, faithful of Vitay," she introduced herself to the woman. "I require a horse - my task is of great import, and I can't be slowed by a lame steed. I will need one that can carry my armoured weight for full days ride at a time. One not too nervous would be best, though gods be willing I'll not ride it into combat. Which is your best?"

As she spoke, she watched the woman - had she gone for the beast Yvonne herself had considered the best one for the task?

Show

Animal Handling to determine the best looking horse for the qualities above: (1d20+3)[18]

11. - Top - End - #971
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Jynx walks with Yvonne to the stables and begins to look at the steeds with Manda at her side, she knew that this would determine which animal would be less nervous should an attack happen.

Spoiler: Yvonne animal handler check
    Show
    Yvonne gets an advantage at her animal handling roll as Jynx is helping her look for the best steeds, she will also help the others as they each pick an animal to ride.
    Last edited by Jrpergande78; 2019-02-05 at 06:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"I don't know, Mr. Thrognic sir. It's pretty cool to have my mind shielded and all, but who wants to invade my privacy anyway? I have nothing to hide. That pipe also sounds nice, but piranhas? That sounds very scary sir. I might be better off with this scepter, even for sentimental reasons. It is my first combat capture, after all."

The gnome makes the motion to leave, secretly hoping that Thrognic will stop him and try to sweeten the deal even more.

Show
    Zuzu is trying to get a better deal.
    Thrognic gives an unintelligible snorting sound as you are leaving. "Goo'bye Zuzu, it was good doin' business with ya. Even if we only talked ab'ut a trade and never reely tradeded it. I hope ye survive this mess!"

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    Yvonne looked around at the wide array of creatures with bemusement. In truth, she'd expected a few sickly-looking draught animals - a few horses, some donkeys or asses, perhaps a pony or two - not a menagerie of ungulates. She looked at the various beasts, trying to determine the best animal suited for her needs - a horse that would be able to bear the weight of a knight for a days ride, that would not shy too easily or rebelliously rear up when mounted.

She disregarded the other animals - an alpaca could not bear the weight of her and all her steel, and her pride would not let her ride an ox. She took a moment to marvel at the strangeness of the camels - she'd heard of the creatures before, of course, but nonetheless they were bizarre looking - before she dismissed those as well. She didn't know what quirks a camel might have.

"I am the Knightess Yvonne, faithful of Vitay," she introduced herself to the woman. "I require a horse - my task is of great import, and I can't be slowed by a lame steed. I will need one that can carry my armoured weight for full days ride at a time. One not too nervous would be best, though gods be willing I'll not ride it into combat. Which is your best?"

As she spoke, she watched the woman - had she gone for the beast Yvonne herself had considered the best one for the task?

Show

Animal Handling to determine the best looking horse for the qualities above: [roll0]
    The children seem very interested when you reveal to them your title, but their mother just glares at them and they immediately return to their work. The older women then clears her throat and seems to deeply contemplate something for a few moments before speaking slowly and deliberately, clearing with much caution and even fear. "My lady, I am sorry but we haven't really trained these horses for war, so I don't think any will live up to your expectations. Very few would be strong enough to bear the weight of a fully equipped knight such as yourself, and even fewer would be both brave and loyal in battle. But... I think I may know one which you are looking for."

Given her performance so far, you are not surprised when Misses McTharmon heads directly to the horse you were looking at. She goes to a stocky dapple grey horse that appears to be such an immense mix of breeds that you struggle to identify what they all could be. It's not as tall as you would like, but what it lacks in height it makes up for in strength. With your knowledge on horses you can automatically guess that it must be fairly young, probably only reaching sexual maturity in the last half a year or few months. It is pretty shaggy and unkempt, but you do notice any blaring health problems with it that are readily visible. The gray horse looks up at you, but otherwise doesn't seem to view you with more significance than anyone else.

By this time Misses McTharmon is starting to sweat and you can detect some poorly hidden reverent fear in her voice. "This steed right here is named Eyor. A group of traders sold him to us as an infant after one of their mares gave birth and because they didn't want to raise such a young horse. I would estimate him to be at about 18 months to two years old now. So far he has been rather quiet and obedient, but he's not very intelligent and it took us longer than it should have to teach him commands. Once he got 'em though, he always followed them though, so that's something. I don't quite know how good he is in the battlefield, but I once saw him kick out the jaw of a wolf that was coming at him, so we know he at least has got some skill."

Quote Originally Posted by Jrpergande78 View Post
    Jynx walks with Yvonne to the stables and begins to look at the steeds with Manda at her side, she knew that this would determine which animal would be less nervous should an attack happen.

Spoiler: Yvonne animal handler check
    Show
    Yvonne gets an advantage at her animal handling roll as Jynx is helping her look for the best steeds, she will also help the others as they each pick an animal to ride.
    All of the steeds immediately back away from the giant snake and stay as far away as possible. When Manda comes around to Eyor takes a few paces back, but does not completely back against the wall, and stamps his feet and snorts in an attempt to scare Manda away. It's a valiant effort, but Eyor isn't exactly the most terrifying thing Manda has come across, so it doesn't quite work out that way.

One of the older daughters caring for one of the horses rushes over to a hatchet to slay the snake, but her mother frantically rushes to block her path. The girl looks nervous at being unable to protect herself and her horses from the snake, but does not challenge her mother. Misses McTharmon then addresses you with as calm a voice as she can manage despite her anxiety.

"Please don't do that, you are scaring the horses. They may react poorly and end up trying to attack the snake, and I don't want either of them getting hurt. Please do something to call the snake away from them before it gets bad."
    -

13. - Top - End - #973

MonkGuy

With more compassion than the young woman and duaghter has ever heard, Jynx Pat's Manda on the head.Thank you my friend, but please wait for me outside. Yes, I can see the ailments and will try to help the young horse.

Manda looks at Jynx and nods his head before going back outside where he coils up his head lazily laying on top of his body. Jynx then goes to the horse and places her hand on it to calm it some, casting speak with animals so that she can assure it. As she speaks a radiant light surrounds it washing over it healing it from some if not all its ailments.

Shhh, it'sok. Manda means no harm to you, nor I, this is Lady Yvonne, and she will take good care of you.
    May Yig heall you of your ailments. I hope you feel better.

Spoiler: Speak with Animals
    Show
    Spells cast would be Speak With Animals and Healing Word, I'llroll if it's injured, but I'm thinking the spell should heal it of other ailments. I think.
    Last edited by Jrpergande78; 2019-02-05 at 11:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Thrognic gives an unintelligible snorting sound as you are leaving. "Goo'bye Zuzu, it was good doin' business with ya. Even if we only talked ab'ut a trade and never reely tradeded it. I hope ye survive this mess!"
    Thrognic didn't bite; Zuzu's lack of bargaining ability doomed his clever plan to trade the scepter. But still, combat capture is combat capture. He hands back the ring, and shakes the old man's hand.

"Survive, Mr. Thrognic? I have the Plague of Nightmares, so I am going to die in a month or so no matter what. Bye!"

=====================

And so, Zuzu heads off into the stables where he sees a bunch of children gawking at the knightess.

"Hi," he says as he approaches them. "Do you have any ponies or mastiffs my size?"
    Now Playing

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Once the horses had calmed again, Yvonne held out a hand to the horse, letting it get accustomed to her scent before running a hand along his neck.
    "Hmm! A fighter, it seems. Good. You're no knightly warhorse, but you'll do, perhaps. The price, however..."
    She raised her voice,speaking now to thesl stables owner to begin the haggling.
    "The gods alone only know what bloodlines have gone into this beast: a purebred stallion he is not. Hmmph, and look at at bedraggled the poor beast is. I'll offer you thirty silver for him, and whatever the cost of a saddle and reins in this place."

Show

Let me know if I need to make a persuasion check or summin'.

Yvonne is trying to haggle, and as such fully expects to pay more than thirty in the end.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

With more compassion than the young woman and duaghter has ever heard, Jynx Pat's Manda on the head.Thank you my friend, but please wait for me outside. Yes, I can see the ailments and will try to help the young horse.

Manda looks at Jynx and nods his head before going back outside where he coils up his head lazily laying on top of his body. Jynx then goes to the horse and places her hand on it to calm it some, casting speak with animals so that she can assure it. As she speaks a radiant light surrounds it washing over it healing it from some if not all its ailments.

Shhh, it'sok. Manda means no harm to you, nor I, this is Lady Yvonne, and she will take good care of you.
    May Yig heall you of your ailments. I hope you feel better.

Spoiler: Speak with Animals
    Show
    Spells cast would be Speak With Animals and Healing Word, I'llroll if it's injured, but I'm thinking the spell should heal it of other ailments. I think.
    It seems to take in the healing spell as if he were being bathed and snorts happily. It then does a series of faint foot dances and neighs that speak a message which you can understand.

"That was okay, but it didn't help with my hunger. Do you have any food?"

Thrognic didn't bite; Zuzu's lack of bargaining ability doomed his clever plan to trade the scepter. But still, combat capture is combat capture. He hands back the ring, and shakes the old man's hand.

"Survive, Mr. Thrognic? I have the Plague of Nightmares, so I am going to die in a month or so no matter what. Bye!"
    As you are leaving Thrognic shouts the oddest comment at you. "They be always telling me I am gonna die in a manth or so, yet 'ere I still am. Don't lose yer hope that 'uickly little one, the worl' seldom 'ver does what ye expect."

And so, Zuzu heads off into the stables where he sees a bunch of children gawking at the knightess.

"Hi," he says as he approaches them. "Do you have any ponies or mastiffs my size?"
    A lot of the younger kids seem to stare at you oddly, clearly not used to the sight of a gnome before. One of them walks forward and tugs at your ear, and then asks if it is real. Quickly their older brother, about 15 or so in age, pulls the toddler out of the way and then speaks to you.

"Sorry about him, he doesn't mean any trouble. And by the stars, we have got way too many ponies that would fit your size. We don't have any trained hounds though, just a couple old mangy ones that SOMEONE *glares at his 8 year old sister* feels the need to give away all our food to. I don't think you could ride 'em though."

There is an excess of young horses, donkeys, mules and alpacas that would fit Zuzu's size.

Once the horses had calmed again, Yvonne held out a hand to the horse, letting it get accustomed to her scent before running a hand along his neck.
    "Hmm! A fighter, it seems. Good. You're no knightly warhorse, but you'll do, perhaps. The price, however..."
    "The gods alone only know what bloodlines have gone into this beast: a purebred stallion he is not. Hmmph, and look at at bedraggled the poor beast is. I'll offer you thirty silver for him, and whatever the cost of a saddle and reins in this place."

Show

Let me know if I need to make a persuasion check or summin'.

Yvonne is trying to haggle, and as such fully expects to pay more than thirty in the end.
    Eyor doesn't really seem to treat this encounter with you as anything remarkable and rather lazily sniffs your hand and excepts the pet without reaction.
    -

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A lot of the younger kids seem to stare at you oddly, clearly not used to the sight of a gnome before. One of them walks forward and tugs at your ear, and then asks if it is real. Quickly their older brother, about 15 or so in age, pulls the toddler out of the way and then speaks to you.

"Sorry about him, he doesn't mean any trouble. And by the stars, we have got way too many ponies that would fit your size. We don't have any trained hounds though, just a couple old mangy ones that SOMEONE *glares at his 8 year old sister* feels the need to give away all our food to. I don't think you could ride 'em though."

There is an excess of young horses, donkeys, mules and alpacas that would fit Zuzu's size.
    "Ow!" Zuzu ejaculates. "You never see a gnome before? That hurts!" he whines.

After recovering for a bit, he shrugs, takes out a ration set from his pack, and offers a cookie to the toddler.

"Can I see them?" he says as a reply to the teen just a year older than him.

Zuzu will interact with each animal to see which one would warm up to him the most. In addition, he needs to determine which type of animal will be the most suitable considering the ecology of the destination.

Animal Handling: (d20)[2].
    Nature: (d20+4)[14].
    Now Playing

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Misses McTharmon seems to consider your deal with some thought as she stares into your eyes. Although she is not showing it much, your high position and regal bearing would have to impress her at least a little bit. She pauses to think for what seems like a minute, but was probably only a few seconds.

"That's a lil' bit too low a price for a fine colt like this. Close to half the promised cost I suggested. If you are so intent on making it lower, than 38 Silver Pieces sounds like it would be a more reasonable request on your part."

"Ow!" Zuzu ejaculates. "You never see a gnome before? That hurts!" he whines.

After recovering for a bit, he shrugs, takes out a ration set from his pack, and offers a cookie to the toddler.
    You regret asking that, because the toddler immediately answers you while shoving the cookies in his face. "Oh, I have seen a gnome 'fore. My mum and da has one in their garden. He's a lot smaller than you though. And actually has a "gnomish" hat to it. I don't think you are really a gnome mister, because if you were, then why don't you have a gnome hat."

One of his slightly older sisters, whom you would estimate to be 12 or so, facepalms and drags him to the side away from you.

"Can I see them?" he says as a reply to the teen just a year older than him.

Zuzu will interact with each animal to see which one would warm up to him the most. In addition, he needs to determine which type of animal will be the most suitable considering the ecology of the destination.

Animal Handling: [roll0].
    Nature: [roll1].
    The older brother to the child leads you around to each of the many different animals which would fit Zuzu's size. It takes him at least ten minutes to show them all to you, and you have a lot of different animals to choose from. Eventually you find the most satisfactory option to be a reddish furred pony whom they have nicknamed "socks" due to how the fur just above its hooves are white. This, "socks", or "horsey" as Zuzu chooses to think of as, is a spayed mare just slightly over 4 years and costing 35 silver pieces.

When you go to touch "horsey" she looks at you as if you were the weirdest thing she ever saw and slowly back ups, but unlike the others, does't jerk away. You think that must be a good sign.
    -

19. - Top - End - #979

MonkGuy

Satisfied with how things appear to be going, Jynx walks out and gently Pat's Manda on the head. She gracefully climbs up and promptly sits on his head and begins talking to him.

So, where else would you like to go see? This plane seems soo different from our homeland...Oh? Well maybe there will be some Orcs for you to eat here. I see. Well,
    Let's see what we come across in our adventures.
    Last edited by Jrpergande78; 2019-02-16 at 11:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You regret asking that, because the toddler immediately answers you while shoving the cookies in his face. "Oh, I have seen a gnome 'fore. My mum and da has one in their garden. He's a lot smaller than you though. And actually has a "gnomish" hat to it. I don't think you are really a gnome mister, because if you were, then why don't you have a gnome hat."
    Seeing an opportunity to fill the toddler's head with nonsense, Zuzu responds in a very serious manner.

"Oh those? That's actually a baby gnome, just like you are a baby human. They wear those hats to protect their heads. I'm a big boy gnome, so I'm bigger and don't have to wear those hatties anymore!"

One of his slightly older sisters, whom you would estimate to be 12 or so, facepalms and drags him to the side away from you.
    Zuzu shoots the girl a wink.

The older brother to the child leads you around to each of the many different animals which would fit Zuzu's size. It takes him at least ten minutes to show them all to you, and you have a lot of different animals to choose from. Eventually you find the most satisfactory option to be a reddish furred pony whom they have nicknamed "socks" due to how the fur just above its hooves are white. This, "socks", or "horsey" as Zuzu chooses to think of as, is a spayed mare just slightly over 4 years and costing 35 silver pieces.

When you go to touch "horsey" she looks at you as if you were the weirdest thing she ever saw and slowly back ups, but unlike the others, does't jerk away. You think that must be a good sign.
    "I'd like to take her, but... I don't know. The price is a little high for a pony. How about if you throw in some barding and a bit, and a saddle?"

Having overheard Yvonne bring offered 38 silver for a full grown horse, it seemed scarcely fair to sell the pony to him for 35. Especially if she is spayed and incapable of reproduction.

While he haggles, Zuzu slips Horsey a few pistachio nuts from his ration trail mix.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-02-17 at 01:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Troll in the Playground

Yaotl arrives at the stable.
    not because he needs a horse, but because I wanted to do something.
    "Have you finissshed finding horsssesss yet?" he asks. He'd like to get out on the road as soon as possible.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Satisfied with how things appear to be going, Jynx walks out and gently Pat's Manda on the head. She gracefully climbs up and promptly sits on his head and begins talking to him.

So, where else would you like to go see? This plane seems soo different from our homeland...Oh? Well maybe there will be some Orcs for you to eat here. I see. Well,
    Let's see what we come across in our adventures.
    You know very well that Manda can't speak to you, but sometimes it sure seems like he can. His indistinct face seems to nod and look at your eyes as if he were listening intently to what you are saying. And then the way he moves his body around, especially his tail, you are convinced that you can identify his emotions. Perhaps you are just being irrational, but sometimes it seems impossible that he can't understand you given his reactions.

Seeing an opportunity to fill the toddler's head with nonsense, Zuzu responds in a very serious manner.

"Oh those? That's actually a baby gnome, just like you are a baby human. They wear those hats to protect their heads. I'm a big boy gnome, so I'm bigger and don't have to wear those hatties anymore!"
    The toddler looks at you amazed, as if you had just revealed to him all of the secrets of the universe. He then rather excitedly says "If you aren't wearing your old hat, could I use it for protection too. Maybe I will grow ears like you, and be super good at hearing.".

Zuzu shoots the girl a wink.
    The preteen, whose name you still yet to know, rolls her eyes and scoffs at you. Although you are actually older than her by two years, you look like you are younger than her by four years, so she might have discarded your gesture as you being a mischievous child.

"I'd like to take her, but... I don't know. The price is a little high for a pony. How about if you throw in some barding and a bit, and a saddle?"

Having overheard Yvonne bring offered 38 silver for a full grown horse, it seemed scarcely fair to sell the pony to him for 35. Especially if she is spayed and incapable of reproduction.

While he haggles, Zuzu slips Horsey a few pistachio nuts from his ration trail mix.
    The older brother nods to you and responds a little too quietly, almost as if he was more used to nonverbal communication than speaking. "When you buy a horse, it already comes fully equipped with the saddle and bit. As for barding, you ought to be "touched" in the head to think that we could afford to fit one of these guys with iron. People aren't exactly passing out fragments of knight's armor when they are selling the property of a recently deceased family member."
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-02-18 at 04:17 PM.
    -

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ogre in the Playground

Misses McTharmon seems to consider your deal with some thought as she stares into your eyes. Although she is not showing it much, your high position and regal bearing would have to impress her at least a little bit. She pauses to think for what seems like a minute, but was probably only a few seconds.

"That's a lil' bit too low a price for a fine colt like this. Close to half the promised cost I suggested. If you are so intent on making it lower, than 38 Silver Pieces sounds like it would be a more reasonable request on your part."
    "Thirty-eight. Hmm."
    It was a decent enough price, and Yvonne didn't care to haggle overmuch - she was no niggling merchant to care for every silver like a newborn son.
    "Very well. Thirty-eight silver for this horse."
    She held out her hand to shake on it before retrieving the money from her coinpurse.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The toddler looks at you amazed, as if you had just revealed to him all of the secrets of the universe. He then rather excitedly says "If you aren't wearing your old hat, could I use it for protection too. Maybe I will grow ears like you, and be super good at hearing.".
    "The skulls of humans are very thick so you don't need my hattie! For the ears, I will tell you a secret. I used to have small ears, but every day I stretched and pinched it until it became longer and pointier!"

When the toddler isn't looking, he smirks and sticks out a tongue at the girl.

The older brother nods to you and responds a little too quietly, almost as if he was more used to nonverbal communication than speaking. "When you buy a horse, it already comes fully equipped with the saddle and bit. As for barding, you ought to be "touched" in the head to think that we could afford to fit one of these guys with iron. People aren't exactly passing out fragments of knight's armor when they are selling the property of a recently deceased family member."
    "No, not iron. Iron's too heavy and will cause a lot of noise. Animal hide will do though, especially since we are going to a colder place. Do you have some?"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-02-19 at 03:31 AM.
    Now Playing

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"Thirty-eight. Hmm."
    It was a decent enough price, and Yvonne didn't care to haggle overmuch - she was no niggling merchant to care for every silver like a newborn son.
    "Very well. Thirty-eight silver for this horse."
    She held out her hand to shake on it before retrieving the money from her coinpurse.
    Lady McTharmon gives a slight smile as she shakes your hand with a surprisingly tight grip, which certainly seems to have more power in it then you would expect of someone of her size. She then goes to unlatch the gate keeping him in, and then takes a few minutes to fasten the saddle onto him. He idly stands by, looking blankly at nothing in particular. For better or worst, Eyor doesn't seem nearly as intelligent as the horses you have had experience with in the past.

"The skulls of humans are very thick so you don't need my hattie! For the ears, I will tell you a secret. I used to have small ears, but every day I stretched and pinched it until it became longer and pointier!"

When the toddler isn't looking, he smirks and sticks out a tongue at the girl.
    The four-to five year old shakes his head vigorously as if this made perfect sense and starts stretching his ears. His siblings recognize that he is doing this, but don't particularly find it worthy of the remark.

The girl pretends not to notice you, giving a prompt nonverbal end to that completely nonverbal communication.

"No, not iron. Iron's too heavy and will cause a lot of noise. Animal hide will do though, especially since we are going to a colder place. Do you have some?"
    The adolescent shakes his from left to right at you again and sighs. "We never really bought any hide barding for the mounts, hardly anybody ever asked for them. You have been the first person to request it in years. If you are looking for some blankets that can be placed on their backs to warm them, we have some of those, but I don't think they will provide much meaningful protection."

__________________________________________________ _______

As all of this is happening, one of the disciples from the church whom you have seen with Torbera before is walking towards you. The person isn't really running or jogging, but they (you are done trying to guess gender) are certainly walking faster than normal speed. They stop to give a scrutinizing stare at Yaotl and Manda, then continues forward. After patting a small hide sack at their side, the courier speaks to you in the most nasally and congested voice possible.

"I have a letter here for a Jynx Mynxingale, Zuzu Qinvalur, Yoatl Citlacotzin, and Yvonne Sonnenstahl. The Vates told me that all I had to was find the child of Yig, giant snake or armored night and that would be you." The courier then takes out a letter from the sack and hands it to you, carefully shielding it from the snow.

Jynx, you have not said your last name to anyone in the area recently, and in fact you rarely say it whatsoever. The fact that whoever wrote this letter knows your last name is something completely unexpected. And Zuzu, your master never told you what your family name was, so you have never heard anyone call you by the last name of Qinvalur before. Likewise, Yoatl, you have never once been referred to as a Citlacotzin, and are completely unfamiliar with the name.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-02-20 at 10:25 PM.
    -

26. - Top - End - #986

MonkGuy

Upon hearing her last name called out she became both ver angry, and uneasy, her tension being felt by Manda causes him to stir a bit.

Who in all of creation knows my last name?!
    I've not told anyone here.

She opens her letter with a flurry and reads it twice once very quickly scanning for a name then a second time to see what the letter was about.
    Last edited by Jrpergande78; 2019-02-22 at 03:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The adolescent shakes his from left to right at you again and sighs. "We never really bought any hide barding for the mounts, hardly anybody ever asked for them. You have been the first person to request it in years. If you are looking for some blankets that can be placed on their backs to warm them, we have some of those, but I don't think they will provide much meaningful protection."
    "I am offering 30 silver," Zuzu reaches into his pouch and counts the coins carefully. "Look, she cannot reproduce so she is not as valuable as the stallion the Knightess got. Besides, you told me you had "way too many ponies," so I am sure you would not mind getting rid of her. I will bump it up to 32 silver if I can get blankets to warm her up and three days' supply of food."

As all of this is happening, one of the disciples from the church whom you have seen with Torbera before is walking towards you. The person isn't really running or jogging, but they (you are done trying to guess gender) are certainly walking faster than normal speed. They stop to give a scrutinizing stare at Yaotl and Manda, then continues forward. After patting a small hide sack at their side, the courier speaks to you in the most nasally and congested voice possible.

"I have a letter here for a Jynx Mynxingale, Zuzu Qinvalur, Yoatl Citlacotzin, and Yvonne Sonnenstahl. The Vates told me that all I had to was find the child of Yig, giant snake or armored night and that would be you." The courier then takes out a letter from the sack and hands it to you, carefully shielding it from the snow.

Jynx, you have not said your last name to anyone in the area recently, and in fact you rarely say it whatsoever. The fact that whoever wrote this letter knows your last name is something completely unexpected. And Zuzu, your master never told you what your family name was, so you have never heard anyone call you by the last name of Qinvalur before. Likewise, Yoatl, you have never once been referred to as a Citlacotzin, and are completely unfamiliar with the name.
    Zuzu blinks. "Qinvalur? No, I don't have a last name. Only important people have last names, and I'm a nobody."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-02-22 at 11:56 AM.
    Now Playing

28. - Top - End - #988
    Troll in the Playground

"Mossst curiousss," Yaotl comments. He's never heard the name used for him before. Maybe it's a title? He tries to remember if he knows what it means.

Spoiler: check?
    Show

If applicable, a check.
    Since it's doubtlessly arcana, history, religion, or nature, it's a -1 regardless.
    (1d20-1)[14]
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

Yvonne had exited in time to hear the courier, leading her new mount.
    "That's Lady Sonnenstahl, but yes, you have found me."
    She took the letter and opened it. She checked the bottom to see if it was signed - and if not, she would ask the messenger who had sent the letter - before she would read the thing.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Upon hearing her last name called out she became both ver angry, and uneasy, her tension being felt by Manda causes him to stir a bit.

Who in all of creation knows my last name?!
    I've not told anyone here.

She opens her letter with a flurry and reads it twice once very quickly scanning for a name then a second time to see what the letter was about.
    Much to your frustration, there is no name recorded on the parchment. It ends with a "Sincerely, a concerned friend" and the page is blank beyond that. There is clearly just enough room left on the page to write a name, but no name is recorded.

Now that you take a look at the parchment you are actually slightly surprised by the writing. The words here are written out in quite beautiful calligraphy by someone who is very clearly experienced with the art. Somebody seemed to have put a lot of effort into this.

Spoiler: The letter reads...
    Show

On the envelope: To Yaotl Citlacotzin, Zuzu Ginvalur, Jynx Myxingale and Yvonne Sonnenstahl

Dear lunatic, guardian, enforcer and devil

I send to you a warning of most dread
    for on the road you travel there devils do grin,
    for blood is shed on stone, spilled by the fang,
    the fang of a creature most loathly vile
    once an angel, now a cannibal, them all,
    and then the race did fall, ruin to them all,
    and led by the undead they serve this day,
    but threats more severe do lurk on this road,
    and found they are in the ruined abode,
    for there memories can not find peace to rest,
    and pulled back shall be seen the mists of time
    memories given life sublime, in form of thine
    for a moment, your souls not of your own
    so then beware, madness comes for you all

Sincerely,
    A concerned friend

"I am offering 30 silver," Zuzu reaches into his pouch and counts the coins carefully. "Look, she cannot reproduce so she is not as valuable as the stallion the Knightess got. Besides, you told me you had "way too many ponies," so I am sure you would not mind getting rid of her. I will bump it up to 32 silver if I can get blankets to warm her up and three days' supply of food."
    The boy gives you a large grin and perhaps a little too excitedly goes to unlatch Horsey's enclosure. As he is doing this, his voice cracks as he says that "30 silver is perfect. That covers the saddle, bit, blanket and a week's worth of food actually." Once unlatched the pony comes out and stamps its feet excitedly, then for some reason stops to stare at the toad. A low threatening ribbit comes from its mouth, but that only seems to make Horsey even more joyful. She is prancing in place as the teenager forces the saddle onto her. He is about to walk off, but then suddenly realizes his mistake and, flustered, accepts the money you have been holding out in your hand for the past few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "Mossst curiousss," Yaotl comments. He's never heard the name used for him before. Maybe it's a title? He tries to remember if he knows what it means.

Spoiler: check?
    Show

If applicable, a check.
    Since it's doubtlessly arcana, history, religion, or nature, it's a -1 regardless.
    [roll0]
    You have definitely heard the title "Citlacotzin" before, but you cannot exactly remember what it means. No matter how hard you wrack your brain you can't seem to come up with it. When you do though, you impulsively clutch your side and feel as if you have been stabbed. For a moment you are panicked and actually believe yourself to be attacked, but when you look down you recognize that no wound has actually been delivered. Something about the idea of this family name makes you feel like their are against all of your skin.

Yvonne had exited in time to hear the courier, leading her new mount.
    "That's Lady Sonnenstahl, but yes, you have found me."
    She took the letter and opened it. She checked the bottom to see if it was signed - and if not, she would ask the messenger who had sent the letter - before she would read the thing.
    Jynx still hasn't given the letter over, but for the sake of time and flow I will just answer this as if she told you that no name was signed

The messenger, for some reason stiffens up at this question, which may indicate some form of surprise or worry. "I never actually saw who sent the letter. The envelope was just slipped under the door to the temple, covered in a small sack to protect against the snow. Why do you ask? "
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-02-23 at 11:22 PM.
    -