New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Obtain familiar v hexblade’s summon familiar

Which one gives the better familiar? Because it looks like obtain familiar would use my hex blade level instead of hexblade -3

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Obtain familiar v hexblade’s summon familiar

Unless you're going with straight hexblade or prestiging into something that advances familiars, the feat always yields better results since it keys off of all classes which advance arcane casting which, arguably includes PrCs.

As for your observation wrt level vs level -3, you're right -but- do note that you'd be getting the familiar at level 6 rather than 4 and you're giving up a feat for a 3 level boost to something that's not super level dependant.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think if you want a familiar, going with obtain is significantly better on a hexblade. Primarily because using the feat allows you to take the dark companion acf which imo is way more valuable than a familiar to a hexblade.

The downside of course is the delay and the consumption of a feat slot, so it kind of depends on the direction you want to go.

4. - Top - End - #4

Obtain Familiar is the stronger option even on a pure classed Hexblade.

The question is, is it worth a feat? The answer is: No.
    Another question is, if it's worth a feat when you also get the Dark Companion on top of the stronger Familiar? The answer is: Most likely yes.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

5. - Top - End - #5

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    Obtain Familiar is the stronger option even on a pure classed Hexblade.

The question is, is it worth a feat? The answer is: No.
    Another question is, if it's worth a feat when you also get the Dark Companion on top of the stronger Familiar? The answer is: Most likely yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenric View Post
    I think if you want a familiar, going with obtain is significantly better on a hexblade. Primarily because using the feat allows you to take the dark companion acf which imo is way more valuable than a familiar to a hexblade.

The downside of course is the delay and the consumption of a feat slot, so it kind of depends on the direction you want to go.
    Yeah this is for a particular build I have in mind, one that requires having a familiar for RP reasons, but the Dark Companion ACF looked so good that I was looking for a way to have both.