New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Avengers: Infinity War

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    Look at that aprt again, you can see Thor's vains getting greeinsh, I don't think it's much eletric as it's chemical. You never see sparks you only see his veins.
    I didn't see anything with veins myself. I heard a joybuzzer sound and watched Thor/Loki jerk and twitch around like they're getting tased, complete with a lightshow on both the remote and the device itself. If they intended that to resemble something other than electricity doing the incapacitating then they did a poor job, and that's not on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #542
    Colossus in the Playground

Wait... Really? Where do they talk about this limitation of the reality stone?
    Well I mean as Thanos left the effects wore off on Drax and Mantis. It's an assumption on my part but one that seems valid.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I didn't see anything with veins myself. I heard a joybuzzer sound and watched Thor/Loki jerk and twitch around like they're getting tased, complete with a lightshow on both the remote and the device itself. If they intended that to resemble something other than electricity doing the incapacitating then they did a poor job, and that's not on me.
    I agree. I didn't have an issue with it but that was me relying on comic knowledge. Something a movie should never force the audience to do.

Though even the comics made it easier to understand since the discs there also had near foot long spikes that embedded into the chest of the victim and directly connected vto their central nervous system which was why you couldn't just pull them off.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    And we have Valkyrie to take up the space adventures of that style if we want to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isn't she dead along with the rest of Asgarde?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I mean as Thanos left the effects wore off on Drax and Mantis. It's an assumption on my part but one that seems valid.
    Nitpick: An assumption cannot be valid, by definition. It can be sound or unsound.

Thanos clearly made a deliberate choice to let those effects wear off. Whether he did that by consciously cancelling the effects or by letting the Reality Stone's hypothetical range limit do the work for him is not established, but I consider that extremely weak evidence for such a range limit.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Half of the ship survived, they were the ones who send the distress signal that brought the guardians back to the solar system, she along with other Asgardians survived, that's the whole thing about Thanos, half of everything has to survive.

Watch that video again in special at number 4 and 6 and see those veins pop up!
    Last edited by Zurvan; 2018-05-07 at 03:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #547

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Watch that video again in special at number 4 and 6 and see those veins pop up!
    Well sure they pop - as happens to people that are being electrocuted - but it's not like a liquid is being injected into them, which is what I think S@tan was getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Half of the ship survived, they were the ones who send the distress signal that brought the guardians back to the solar system, she along with other Asgardians survived, that's the whole thing about Thanos, half of everything has to survive.
    It's likely she did not though, or she would have probably have gone with her king.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2018-05-07 at 03:45 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #548

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's been said a dozen times but half of Asgard is left. Thor said so explicitly, we see half the ship flying away, James Gunn has outright said that yes Valkyrie is alive with the other half of Asgard. She's fine. I care about Krog and Miek, personally.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's been said a dozen times but half of Asgard is left. Thor said so explicitly, we see half the ship flying away, James Gunn has outright said that yes Valkyrie is alive with the other half of Asgard. She's fine. I care about Krog and Miek, personally.
    Oh I missed that. Interesting.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

10. - Top - End - #550
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well sure they pop - as happens to people that are being electrocuted - but it's not like a liquid is being injected into them, which is what I think S@tan was getting at.

It's likely she did not though, or she would have probably have gone with her king.
    Do veins pop up and turn green when you are ebing electrocuted? I didn't knew that, maybe the enrgy being used is not electricity? Maybe it's that blue energy Loki's staff sued to seal the mind stone?

I belive she tried to face Thanos he easily knocked her out and threw her body to the escaping asgardians, they took her unconscious body and left the ship with her and luckly with Korg as well.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

11. - Top - End - #551
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Do veins pop up and turn green when you are ebing electrocuted? I didn't knew that, maybe the enrgy being used is not electricity? Maybe it's that blue energy Loki's staff sued to seal the mind stone?

I belive she tried to face Thanos he easily knocked her out and threw her body to the escaping asgardians, they took her unconscious body and left the ship with her and luckly with Korg as well.
    My theory is that Thor ordered to go with escaping Asgardian to protect them, and since she is now acknowledging his kingship, she reluctantly obeyed the order.

12. - Top - End - #552

Regarding death in the MCU.

Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show
    I see that a lot of comments and reviews on the movie focus on the permanence of "death" in the MCU, death as a general property. Things in the vein of how the fact that we know there will be a Spider-man Homecoming 2 and a Black Panther 2, none of the deaths in the movie matter anymore.

Here is what I felt: there are actually two very different types of deaths. The deaths that will be undone at the end of the next Avengers movie will be only the Infinity Gauntlet deaths, by using the Gauntlet or some of the gems to reverse the finger snap of death. But the deaths that are not dissolving into dust will not be undone. (With the caveat that maybe Gamora is in the Soul stone and if it's destroyed she might come out of it or something xD).

That means that the second generation of Avengers will come back to carry on with the franchise (Spider-man, Dr Strange, Falcon, Bucky, Wanda, the Guardians) but the original Avengers that may be killed in the next movie during the second fight against Thanos led by Captain Marvel will stay dead (Steve Rogers, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, War Machine). The people dissolved into death are safer, from a storytelling point of view, than the ones that remain alive at the end of IW, since those can be killed by means other than the finger snap and therefore not brought back when the snap is undone. It is no coincidence that most of the newer avengers were killed at the end of IW, while the more veteran ones that we sort of expected to die remained alive.

Last edited by Clertar; 2018-05-08 at 09:21 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

13. - Top - End - #553

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post

Show
    I see that a lot of comments and reviews on the movie focus on the permanence of "death" in the MCU, death as a general property. Things in the vein of how the fact that we know there will be a Spider-man Homecoming 2 and a Black Panther 2, none of the deaths in the movie matter anymore.

Here is what I felt: there are actually two very different types of deaths. The deaths that will be undone at the end of the next Avengers movie will be only the Infinity Gauntlet deaths, by using the Gauntlet or some of the gems to reverse the finger snap of death. But the deaths that are not dissolving into dust will not be undone. (With the caveat that maybe Gamora is in the Soul stone and if it's destroyed she might come out of it or something xD).

That means that the second generation of Avengers will come back to carry on with the franchise (Spider-man, Dr Strange, Falcon, Bucky, Wanda, the Guardians) but the original Avengers that may be killed in the next movie during the second fight against Thanos led by Captain Marvel will stay dead (Steve Rogers, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, War Machine). The people dissolved into death are safer, from a storytelling point of view, than the ones that remain alive at the end of IW, since those can be killed by means other than the finger snap and therefore not brought back when the snap is undone. It is no coincidence than most of the newer avengers were killed at the end of IW, while the more veteran ones that we sort of expected to die remained alive.

Spoiler
    Show

Sounds about right, glad someone other than me immediately saw the plan clear before them.

14. - Top - End - #554

Do veins pop up and turn green when you are ebing electrocuted?
    I still don't see any "green." Yes, they pop. And there is sparking noises and people spasm/twitch.

I'm not saying this would have actually worked on Hela or anyone else (I know it wouldn't, because plot), but you are defending poor presentation. The very video I linked thinks of it as electricity too, and I can find numerous other examples, because that is what they chose to make it look and sound like.

(Though the fact that, in the comics, these things could trap the likes of Silver Surfer suggest that maybe they could have worked on Hela.)

Show

That means that the second generation of Avengers will come back to carry on with the franchise (Spider-man, Dr Strange, Falcon, Bucky, Wanda, the Guardians) but the original Avengers that may be killed in the next movie during the second fight against Thanos led by Captain Marvel will stay dead (Steve Rogers, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, War Machine). The people dissolved into death are safer, from a storytelling point of view, than the ones that remain alive at the end of IW, since those can be killed by means other than the finger snap and therefore not brought back when the snap is undone. It is no coincidence that most of the newer avengers were killed at the end of IW, while the more veteran ones that we sort of expected to die remained alive.

Agreed with this, with the caveat that heroes can pass the torch too. So while Steve Rogers might be killed off, Captain America doesn't have to be.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2018-05-08 at 09:34 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

They probably need to kill off Thor in A4 if they want to prevent power creep in the MCU. Dude's Muscular man's gotten so powerful since Ragnarok, he now survives space environment and tanks blasts from a neutron star.

Then again, Captain Marvel was stated to be more ridiculous than Thor so maybe not...
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2018-05-08 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Because he's not a dude. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Nitpick: An assumption cannot be valid, by definition. It can be sound or unsound.

Thanos clearly made a deliberate choice to let those effects wear off. Whether he did that by consciously cancelling the effects or by letting the Reality Stone's hypothetical range limit do the work for him is not established, but I consider that extremely weak evidence for such a range limit.
    But did he? It's not the same whether he wanted the effects to wear off or whether he simply didn't care.

If the reality stone didn't had limitations based on the properties of the rest of the stones (time/space, aka: range; mind/soul, aka: perception; power, aka: scale) then having the complete set of stones would be redundant. It might be possible that Thanos inherent capabilities allow him to better exploit the capabilities of the Reality Stone alone than whatever Malekith did; but even then, similar limitations should apply to him nevertheless. It's safer to assume the stone has a range/time limitation than it is to assume it's effects are definitive or completely under his control.

Also, I don't think the dwarf's punishment had anything to do with any of the stones. My impression was that his hands were dipped straight into molten metal, and that's how he got those fancy metal gloves.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

17. - Top - End - #557
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    They probably need to kill off Thor in A4 if they want to prevent power creep in the MCU. Dude's Muscular man's gotten so powerful since Ragnarok, he now survives space environment and tanks blasts from a neutron star.

Then again, Captain Marvel was stated to be more ridiculous than Thor so maybe not...
    Seriously. What the hell is Capt Marvel's deal? Is she that powerful in the comics?!?

18. - Top - End - #558
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Seriously. What the hell is Capt Marvel's deal? Is she that powerful in the comics?!?
    Not really. While being weaker than Thor can still mean that you are one of the strongest heroes in the universe (which she is!), comic book Captain Marvel does not even come close to comic book Thor (who is just crazy powerful!). After the crazy stuff that MCU Thor pulled on the star forge in Infinity War, her regular version cannot even compete with MCU Thor. She has however some special powers and special forms that might put her at least equal to MCU Thor. If you want to see a quick and entertaining rundown of her powers and abilities you might want to watch her Death Battle against Android 18.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

Power wise, Captain Marvel is basically Superman, right? Flight, super speed, super strength, practically invulnerable...but also, she can shoot lasers out of her hands instead of heat vision?

Or that's what I heard. Never read the comics.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post

I was thinking that. Either he dies or he leaves Earth for a long time searching a new home for the remaining Asgardiands or something
    with our backs to the wall

For those about to rock,we salute you!

21. - Top - End - #561
    Banned

All of this Captain Marvel talk illustrates the main problem I have with her. She's a B-lister. No one knows what she does or who she is. Also, the character isn't even particularly likable when you get familiar with her. She's kinda a jerk. I really don't get why Marvel is hyping her so hard.

Or rather...I do get it. She's a female character with the word "Marvel" in her name. The MCU desperately needs a strong female lead, and Marvel is severely lacking in options. The only good (well known) female characters that they have are all X-men, and we all know how much baggage that franchise brings with it.

22. - Top - End - #562

IRT Anteros

You know people were saying the exact same thing about the Guardians, Ant-Man or Black Panther when we were waiting for their movies, right
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Power wise, Captain Marvel is basically Superman, right? Flight, super speed, super strength, practically invulnerable...but also, she can shoot lasers out of her hands instead of heat vision?

Or that's what I heard. Never read the comics.
    Thing is Thor has always been Marvel's Superman. And it would be sad to lose him just after they started portraying him properly

There is a reason that whenever in the comics Thor fights Hulk the winner is almost always thor

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

IRT Anteros

You know people were saying the exact same thing about the Guardians, Ant-Man or Black Panther when we were waiting for their movies, right
    Also about Iron Man, who, like Captain Marvel, had the twin issues of stubbornness that caused more problems for the other heroes than it solved and major alcoholism, so the two of them are equally unstable and jerk-ish going by the comic incarnations (to the point that Tony bleeping Stark was worried that she had a drinking problem).

And yet Robert Downey Jr. made Iron Man a household name and Tony Stark a lovable scamp (by basically playing himself, granted), so if Brie Larson can do the same with Captain Marvel and Carol Danvers, I think things will turn out fine.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2018-05-08 at 03:32 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Show

One caveat here:

Spoiler
    Show
    I would be very surprised if Vision stays dead, despite getting killed prior to the finger snap. There was way too much foreshadowing that Jarvis/Ultron were outgrowing the Mind Stone and becoming a separate entity. Having him stay dead also leaves the efforts of everybody in the big battle pointless, as well as all the fiddling they did to the Mind Stone. Add into that Vision getting some much needed character development and a shiny new human form. He's coming back in some fashion. Whether or not he survives IW2 or not is less clear, as his arc up to this point seems to be leading to a big heroic sacrifice.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Banned

IRT Anteros

Well, I didn't like any of those so I suppose there is a common thread.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

OMG this is perfect

Now I am thinking of how Thor calls Rocket, "Rabbit", and how Quill is deepening his voice to sound like the "God-Man" who is also part bunny

Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

28. - Top - End - #568
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    One caveat here:

Spoiler
    Show
    I would be very surprised if Vision stays dead, despite getting killed prior to the finger snap. There was way too much foreshadowing that Jarvis/Ultron were outgrowing the Mind Stone and becoming a separate entity. Having him stay dead also leaves the efforts of everybody in the big battle pointless, as well as all the fiddling they did to the Mind Stone. Add into that Vision getting some much needed character development and a shiny new human form. He's coming back in some fashion. Whether or not he survives IW2 or not is less clear, as his arc up to this point seems to be leading to a big heroic sacrifice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vision did the full Optimus Prime and turned greyscale and he never stays dead.

That said, Vision and Scarlet Witch are not characters who have really made much connection with anyone in the audience because they've spent basically the last two big movies off in a corner being "too powerful to use".

29. - Top - End - #569

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    One caveat here:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think Vision needs to be resurrected. Shuri disconnected enough of his neural system from the stone so that he's not killed when it was ripped off him, he's just depowered and will probably have to go through some sort of crisis before being himself again. He will become the gray Vision for a while, probably after Shuri will kick-start him with a new power source or something along these lines.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

Agreed with this, with the caveat that heroes can pass the torch too. So while Steve Rogers might be killed off, Captain America doesn't have to be.
    I can definitely see Bucky picking up the shield in the MCU. It would be fairly natural move, given the inevitable theme of living up to the original Avenger's legacies that'll crop up in the post-IW MCU.
    Truth resists simplicity.