New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: May UA's Up: Ever Wanted To Be Part Horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cliché View Post
    Yeah, that would make a lot more sense.

Still wouldn't let them climb, though.
    Depends on what they're climbing. A sheer wall, probably not. A normal cliff with outcroppings and such, maybe.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Depends on what they're climbing. A sheer wall, probably not. A normal cliff with outcroppings and such, maybe.
    I think their rear end would cause too much trouble even on a cliff with outcroppings. It would basically act like a leaver, pulling their top half away from any handholds.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glorthindel View Post
    The problem is the combnination of the two - "the demon is hiding in this crowd and while looking for him, I've just discovered the tiefling/elf/genasi is registered as evil, I'm good, I must smite him as my god demands".

When they altered Detect Good and Evil, it removed the trick of using the spell to sweep the party (and every NPC interacted with) for evil. This was a good change in my mind. If they retcon these races into being dual-natured (and into a nature that is detectable by the spell), then it means those races have a severe drawback for players, since they are "exposed" to alignment-checking, while other races aren't. Its probably a minor thing, but worth considering.
    But they wouldn't be exposed to alignment checking. All the spell will do is tell you they have a fiendish aura.

Man, that could do with some easy comedy with an oblivious player.

Paladin: "Sir, are you aware one of your waitresses has the aura of... A DEVIL!"

Barkeep: "Which one? The blonde halfling lass or the red-skinned lady with the horns who makes fire spit from her eyes when Pete gets handsy?"

Paladin: "The one with the devil horns.... Um..."

Barkeep: "Think that there might be what we call 'a clue'"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cliché View Post
    I think their rear end would cause too much trouble even on a cliff with outcroppings. It would basically act like a leaver, pulling their top half away from any handholds.
    I keep thinking of goats. While I realize horses and goats are not the same I think the sapient brain may be able to compensate.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmancer View Post
    But they wouldn't be exposed to alignment checking. All the spell will do is tell you they have a fiendish aura.

Man, that could do with some easy comedy with an oblivious player.

Paladin: "Sir, are you aware one of your waitresses has the aura of... A DEVIL!"

Barkeep: "Which one? The blonde halfling lass or the red-skinned lady with the horns who makes fire spit from her eyes when Pete gets handsy?"

Paladin: "The one with the devil horns.... Um..."

Barkeep: "Think that there might be what we call 'a clue'"
    Actually, the Halfling also would have had a fiendish aura, but the paladin couldn't detect it through her lead sheet.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just realized what a missed opportunity the title of this thread for the May UA is.

Oh, well. May the Horse be with you all!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

What about this as a solution to the Large/Medium Centaur issue?

Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, and Elves have multiple subraces (Elves are getting more now). So let's just have multiple breeds of Centaur. Some Large but wielding Medium weapons, some Medium but with a Large's carrying capacity. And then we can just say that the MM Centaurs are the Large breed version.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Here's my ultra-important, desperate-to-know-the-answer-for question about centaurs: Do they still get a penalty for using a lance in melee, and are two hands still required? Cause I would love to have my Shining Force 2 centaur knights/paladins! :D

((visual references here and here and here and here ))

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temperjoke View Post
    Here's my ultra-important, desperate-to-know-the-answer-for question about centaurs: Do they still get a penalty for using a lance in melee, and are two hands still required? Cause I would love to have my Shining Force 2 centaur knights/paladins! :D

((visual references here and here and here and here ))
    I know, right!

The way the rules are written, I think that they can use a lance in one hand just fine, since they "always count as mounted." but I'm pretty sure that they have the same disadvantage in melee as everyone else.

In any case, Shining Force centaurs are probably medium sized, so that's no concern, and the race seems particularly suited for a knight-type build.
    Last edited by strangebloke; 2018-05-18 at 08:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    I know, right!

The way the rules are written, I think that they can use a lance in one hand just fine, since they "always count as mounted." but I'm pretty sure that they have the same disadvantage in melee as everyone else.

In any case, Shining Force centaurs are probably medium sized, so that's no concern, and the race seems particularly suited for a knight-type build.
    Honestly my Shining Force centaurs almost always used throwing spears rather than lances. I did have both on them but I rarely even bothered to switch them as the spear was almost as good or better quite a bit of the time.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Honestly my Shining Force centaurs almost always used throwing spears rather than lances. I did have both on them but I rarely even bothered to switch them as the spear was almost as good or better quite a bit of the time.
    See, I often had them on the front end, while the full ranged people were behind them. Except for my pegasus knights and other flyers, they were in a flanking group usually.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Temperjoke View Post
    See, I often had them on the front end, while the full ranged people were behind them. Except for my pegasus knights and other flyers, they were in a flanking group usually.
    In SHinging Force one centaurs were my primary range attacks since I found archers to not be much better and teh centaurs could attack up close.

In the second game I only had a couple so I ended up needing them more as "archers" than ever before. Also I think the best weapon in the game for them as a spear rather than lance so I would not need to bother with the lance.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    I keep thinking of goats. While I realize horses and goats are not the same I think the sapient brain may be able to compensate.
    The sapient brain doesn't mean much for climbing skill, at least outside of bringing tool use into it. Instinctive climbers routinely do quite well, as can be seen by the sort of ridiculous movement squirrels can get up to on vertical surfaces. There's just not a lot that gets around a human not being able to pull the weight of a horse up a cliff by climbing hand holds while the load is awkwardly distributed, or horses just being terrible climbers (as I pointed out upthread, horses are not mountain goats).

You can, of course, just choose to ignore this and have centaurs climb anyways. It just runs into some really ridiculous mental imagery that's going to annoy some people.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    OK, I get that part of the design bible they have has "No PC's larger than Medium" in great big, bold, triple-underlined letters, but this part of the Centaur entry is ridiculous:

"In size, they are comparable to a human rider mounted on a horse"

"Your size is Medium, yet you tower over most other humanoids."

Just bite the bullet already. Put a big asterix like you did with flying PC races that "Available with participating DM's only" or just crumple the size rules up into a ball and throw them out altogether!
    Agreed. I find it patently silly that PC Minotaurs or Centaurs are different size categories from their Monster Manual cousins. This kind of thing is always an instant turn-off, never going to use it at my table, thing for me.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... I don't like Minotaurs losing Labyrinthine Recall, it fits much better with the lore of the Minotaur and really isn't OP or anything. There should be something that ties them into The Minotaur and its maze, in my opinion. Advantage on Survival checks to find your way back to anywhere you've been?

I think I'd really like subraces for Minotaurs and Centaurs. I'd really like more variety if these get made into playable races (I'm not crazy about the lack of subraces for races outside core). Archer Centaurs and Minotaurs who get navigation abilities would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Hmm... I don't like Minotaurs losing Labyrinthine Recall, it fits much better with the lore of the Minotaur and really isn't OP or anything. There should be something that ties them into The Minotaur and its maze, in my opinion. Advantage on Survival checks to find your way back to anywhere you've been?
    The whole point of Daedalus's labyrinth was that the Minotaur wasn't able to navigate it though, functioning as a good way to trap both the sacrifices and the Minotaur inside.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhismurWanders View Post
    The whole point of Daedalus's labyrinth was that the Minotaur wasn't able to navigate it though, functioning as a good way to trap both the sacrifices and the Minotaur inside.
    We've already had this discussion.

The Minotaur could navigate the maze, but not get out. Probably it was either sealed beyond the capabilities of his Str score, or the exit was too small for him to fit through, or the Minotaur simply didn't want to leave. Whichever is true, it could still find its way around; otherwise the Athenian tributes would have died of starvation rather than being mauled by the Minotaur.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_brazenburn View Post

The Minotaur could navigate the maze, but not get out. Probably it was either sealed beyond the capabilities of his Str score, or the exit was too small for him to fit through, or the Minotaur simply didn't want to leave. Whichever is true, it could still find its way around; otherwise the Athenian tributes would have died of starvation rather than being mauled by the Minotaur.
    I'm going to have to agree. It was the Minotaur's prison because there wasn't a way for him to bust out, not because he couldn't find the exit. Especially considering the thing would have to be sealed in some manner to prevent escape by his victims. I've always thought it would be more like a pit. Drop them down, leave them to die as they're hunted down in endless hallways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

19. - Top - End - #169
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    To illustrate just how comical the Medium-sized Centaur is, it can ride a horse. While being (fluff-wise but not mechanically) as big as a horse, carrying as much as a horse, and bearing a Medium-sized rider, which can be another Centaur. Which can have another Centaur on its back. And so on and so forth.

Wow this is stupid.
    I laughed really hard at this - yeah its a bad design, at least it is a playtest. Hopefully they will scrap it and start over

VC

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The sapient brain doesn't mean much for climbing skill, at least outside of bringing tool use into it. Instinctive climbers routinely do quite well, as can be seen by the sort of ridiculous movement squirrels can get up to on vertical surfaces. There's just not a lot that gets around a human not being able to pull the weight of a horse up a cliff by climbing hand holds while the load is awkwardly distributed, or horses just being terrible climbers (as I pointed out upthread, horses are not mountain goats).

You can, of course, just choose to ignore this and have centaurs climb anyways. It just runs into some really ridiculous mental imagery that's going to annoy some people.
    That's not unique to this UA though. Per 5E PHB rules, even regular MM centaurs, horses, and even hippos can climb trees almost as fast as they can walk on solid ground--even as birds and dragons drift through the skies barely faster than hot air balloons.

Anyway, the blame goes on the PHB climbing rules.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by the_brazenburn View Post

Then why make it a maze instead of just a cage? Where's the added value of the labyrinthine complexity?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Then why make it a maze instead of just a cage? Where's the added value of the labyrinthine complexity?
    As I understand it, the labyrinth was ceremonial rather than functional. There have been several cultures with "mazes" that have no dead ends, no wrong turns, just a complex spiral in to the center. For symbolic/religious reasons.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    That's not unique to this UA though. Per 5E PHB rules, even regular MM centaurs, horses, and even hippos can climb trees almost as fast as they can walk on solid ground--even as birds and dragons drift through the skies barely faster than hot air balloons.

Anyway, the blame goes on the PHB climbing rules.
    That's fair, but if they're going to bring in new climbing rules for the centaur (which they did) they might as well just hard ban it.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    That's fair, but if they're going to bring in new climbing rules for the centaur (which they did) they might as well just hard ban it.
    Absolutely.

I could also see a soft ban along the lines of "disadvantage on all climbing checks that require arms and hands, and a DC 15+ Athletics check for every 10' of elevation climbed or fall." So certain exceptional centaurs might still be able to climb trees at some risk, which is probably amazing to see. (Perhaps the amazing centaur climbs in hexapedal fashion using hooves as quasi-hands, like a human acrobat juggling umbrellas with their feet.)

25. - Top - End - #175
    Pixie in the Playground

i am now obliged to make a Minotaur shadow monk that runs like naruto...

26. - Top - End - #176
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal Crowbar View Post
    I laughed really hard at this - yeah its a bad design, at least it is a playtest. Hopefully they will scrap it and start over

VC
    Yeah, honestly I think they both should be remade from scratch. It's even a bad design if you ignore all the Medium shenanigans. Just take a look at the Minotaur... another bland pigeonholed race. Oooof.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2018-05-20 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, honestly I think they both should be remade from scratch. It's even a bad design if you ignore all the Medium shenanigans. Just take a look at the Minotaur... another bland pigeonholed race. Oooof.
    Why do you say that?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Many of the reasons have been mentioned by others in the thread already.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Many of the reasons have been mentioned by others in the thread already.
    Most people have been talking about the medium size and arguing whether the Labyrinthine recall should come back. Scrapping the entire thing and starting over seems extreme.

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    Most people have been talking about the medium size and arguing whether the Labyrinthine recall should come back. Scrapping the entire thing and starting over seems extreme.
    Also the relative uselessness of horns--though I think they are wrong about that despite the low damage. Grapplers always appreciate natural attacks, and a reaction shove is interesting for melee kiting and tanking both. Also useful for breaking free of being grappled, since Shove is the standard countermeasure for breaking a grapple if you have extra attacks.

Minotaurs in this UA are better than Goliaths and Dragonborns at least.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2018-05-20 at 07:46 PM.