New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Question About Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil

Violet Veil: At 7th level, an initiate masters the seventh and final veil: the violet veil. This barrier destroys all objects and effects that cross it, as if they were disintegrated. Living creatures passing a violet veil must succeed on a Will save or be shifted to a random place on a random plane (as the plane shift spell). A violet veil is destroyed by a successful dispel magic spell. A warding with this veil is the equivalent of an 8th-level spell.
    Can the Violet Veil be dispelled by a successful Greater Dispel Magic spell? A successful Dispelling Screen spell? That Warlock invocation that mimics Dispel Magic (with an extra rider, IIRC)? A Dispel Magic SLA?

In case this wasn't obvious, this is for 3.5, although if the answer for PF or 3.PF differs, I would like to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Question About Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Can the Violet Veil be dispelled by a successful Greater Dispel Magic spell? A successful Dispelling Screen spell? That Warlock invocation that mimics Dispel Magic (with an extra rider, IIRC)? A Dispel Magic SLA?

In case this wasn't obvious, this is for 3.5, although if the answer for PF or 3.PF differs, I would like to know.
    By strict RAW, no. Dispel magic and greater dispel magic are different spells. Personally, i would ask your gm, he'll probably be fine with it.

None of those other things would work.

This is the 3.5 answer.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The veils function as per prismatic wall, and are affected accordingly. In the same vein, anything that functions as per dispel magic should bring down a violet veil automatically. Any rider effects may not go through, depending on your DM. Therefore greater dispel magic wouldn't affect it (mostly because prismatic wall is explicitly immune to greater dispel), but the other three should assuming they duplicate dispel magic. If they don't, then a wish to duplicate dispel magic wouldn't either.

As Venger said, talk to your DM for the final say.
    Last edited by DarkSoul; 2018-05-24 at 07:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
    The veils function as per prismatic wall, and are affected accordingly. In the same vein, anything that functions as per dispel magic should bring down a violet veil automatically. Any rider effects may not go through, depending on your DM. Therefore greater dispel magic wouldn't affect it (mostly because prismatic wall is explicitly immune to greater dispel), but the other three should assuming they duplicate dispel magic. If they don't, then a wish to duplicate dispel magic wouldn't either.

As Venger said, talk to your DM for the final say.
    Warlock's invocation explicitly does not work as it is not a spell and Dispelling Screen is a Dispelling Screen spell, not a Dispel Magic spell. If it said Dispel Magic effect there would be a lot more wiggle room.

I agree that asking your DM is most appropriate.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Warlock's invocation explicitly does not work as it is not a spell and Dispelling Screen is a Dispelling Screen spell, not a Dispel Magic spell. If it said Dispel Magic effect there would be a lot more wiggle room.

I agree that asking your DM is most appropriate.
    Dispelling Screen does explicitly reference dispel magic, as do the Voracious and Relentless Dispelling invocations. I don't see any reason why any of those wouldn't work.

Besides, it's not like IotSV is a class riddled with weaknesses.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Dispelling Screen does explicitly reference dispel magic, as do the Voracious and Relentless Dispelling invocations. I don't see any reason why any of those wouldn't work.

Besides, it's not like IotSV is a class riddled with weaknesses.
    Because they are not them. Again, this is strict RAW. Voracious Dispelling is the Voracious Dispelling SLA, not the Dispel Magic spell. It is like someone asks for a vanilla cupcake with blue frosting and you give them chocolate with purple. All the ingredients are there but it is not the same thing.

I myself would rule that anything thay mimics dispel magic and it spell-ish would work, in part so non core classes actually have a shot at breaking these things, but that is still technically a house rule.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2018-05-25 at 10:19 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Because they are not them. Again, this is strict RAW. Voracious Dispelling is the Voracious Dispelling SLA, not the Dispel Magic spell. It is like someone asks for a vanilla cupcake with blue frosting and you give them chocolate with purple. All the ingredients are there but it is not the same thing.

I myself would rule that anything thay mimics dispel magic and it spell-ish would work, in part so non core classes actually have a shot at breaking these things, but that is still technically a house rule.
    Then overall we're in agreement. That being said, both invocations say "You can use dispel magic, as the spell." Relentless actually says the targeted version, but even so both of them say 'this is dispel magic as an SLA', which functions exactly as the spell. On that note I would rule that the riders are a result of the Warlock's spin on them but the actual dispelling is a dispel magic spell.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Then overall we're in agreement. That being said, both invocations say "You can use dispel magic, as the spell." Relentless actually says the targeted version, but even so both of them say 'this is dispel magic as an SLA', which functions exactly as the spell. On that note I would rule that the riders are a result of the Warlock's spin on them but the actual dispelling is a dispel magic spell.
    As to the RAW, I do not think so? I actually know a DM who is that pendantic about the rules but as to a reasonable way of adjuticating yes we are.