New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

"I'll also check on Katraya," Yara says. "But I'm not comfortable letting Krom go so easy. Surely we can still take him?"

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground

As Theo says he will have Pran return with his own people Sister Rosalind thanks him, however debates about using his chapel. "I thank you for the offer Theo, and will reflect on it this night. I honestly am unsure as it would be rude to your goddess to pray to another in her temple, never mind her very chapel." Sister Rosalind admits before turning to Yara. "If you mean into custody Yara I am sure you could, however he has not been our enemy this day and the longer you discuss what to do the further away he will be getting. Add in a normal jail will not be able to hold him for long. He will find a way out and kill those who try to stop him. You were their last time Yara, you saw what happened and how it could have been worse." Rosalind says to Yara, though doesn't say it so only she can hear. With that said she leaves allowing the others to teleport away when they are ready to do so and makes her way to the temple of Maya.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gunn whispers telepathically to Yara: You, me, and Perseus--I'm sure we can. And I think I know where to find him.

After making sure that he, Perseus, and Yara are fully healed, Gunn steps through the Teleportation Circle, accompanied by Perseus. If he doesn't already know where Krom would be, he attempts to find that out: (1d20+13)[21]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

4. - Top - End - #1414

Yara slightly nods. Lead the way, she returns.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There is a now familiar surge of vertigo as your bodies are wrenched through the astral plane in the blinking of an eye, before being deposited in a dank, darkened basement. The cold stone floor is slimy underfoot, and the shelves lined with food and drink that fill the room are disgustingly filthy. It is a foodstore, but with such flagrant disregard for hygiene no sane person would see it and then eat in the premises above.

Your exit is a wooden staircase, which takes you up into the inn proper. Decorated with garish colours and a marked lack of good taste, it is at least marginally cleaner than the store below, even if such superficial cleanliness is hardly reassuring.

The staff and patrons give you wary looks, but do not approach you. One man, with a freshly broken nose oozing blood, moves hastily to put some distance between him and you.

The barkeep looks uneasy, but holds up his hands placatingly. "No trouble," he says quickly, his eyes fearful.

Spoiler: Gunn, Perseus and Yara
    Show
    Leaving your companions behind, you swiftly gain your bearings and make your way to the former base of the Crimson Fist mercenaries.

You make good time, through sparsely populated streets; perhaps the people of New Ganthar are still reeling from the battle yesterday and the climate of fear that had led up to it. Regardless of the reason, you are swifter than Krom, and catch sight of him in a deserted back alley, facing away from you as he focuses on his journey.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Initiative please, plus Hide and Move Silently if you so wish.

Spoiler: Rosalind
    Show
    Arriving at the Temple of Maya, your concerns for Katraya are swiftly assuaged; for she is standing guard at the doorway, perhaps a little pale and shaken up, but alive.

Greeting you with a raised hand, she smiles as though a great burden of worry has been lifted from her.

"It is done, then? The threat of the Daughter is finished?"

Spoiler: Theo
    Show
    Your course takes you to the Temple of Charis; although, given what Aenar told you, you find yourself looking at it in a new light.

If the Sentinel is not Charis, to whom is this temple dedicated? When you look upon Her image, an image that always filled you with awe and reverence, what are you now supposed to feel?

How can you face your Templars and priests, knowing that the divisions within your flock have their origins in a divine identity crisis sure to shake your whole organisation to its core?

At the present, you are disguised; just Thomas, the armorer. A part of you is tempted to walk away, to make the false face your own and leave the burdens of leadership to others.

But you feel the weight of the Sword of Tariel in its sheath. The weight of duty, at once a crushing burden and a necessary framework for honorable living - the mountain to which you set your back, enabling you to stand tall.

You recognise the acolyte Pel, waiting to greet visitors, together with two Templars barely old enough to shave. They watch you with mild interest; the sight of someone pausing at the spectacle of the Temple is no new thing to them.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo snaps out of his train of thought and ascends the stairs to the temple entrance. He speaks straight to Pel. I have need of an audience with Madame Starbow. It is of Divine importance. Theo says with a disguised voice, but with the same imperious command to be brought to the mage with haste.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Would they still do these things with Rosalind's Aura of Calming? It's clear the first thing Krom did when he got back though

As the sense of vertigo takes over Sister Rosalind she closes her eyes waiting for the sensation to pass, only to open her eyes to see a slime covered basement that made her happy she did not have to eat food. Thankfully her constant halo of light granted all those with her the ability to see, though she suspected they probably didn't want to after seeing what she had. "Right well good luck with everything everyone I will see you all later." the priestess of the Lover's says as she makes her way up the stairs into the tavern.

"We will cause you no harm, I take it Krom already passed through? If you are willing I will take a look at your nose and make sure it is okay, I am a healer." Sister Rosalind says to the man, trying to defuse the situation and show that they meant no harm.

Spoiler: Later at the temple of Maya.
    Show

The entire walk to the temple of Maya Sister Rosalind had been holding her breath, afraid for her friend and what might have happened to her all because she had tried to help them. She had already lost so much this day and had a new view on life since her rebirth, it would trouble her greatly to have lost one of her few friends.

It is not until she gets to the temple of Maya and sees Katraya standing at the doorway that she finally is able to breath. Rushing over to the Guardian of the temple of Maya, Sister Rosalind in an unexpected show of emotions seems to leap at the woman as she wraps her arms around her in a warm embrace. "I was worried we had lost you for good." Sister Rosalind says with tears rolling down her eyes, she had feared for Katraya's life and death the entire time however she had not been able to grieve earlier or show her emotions as she was now.

When Rosalind finally gains control of her emotions once more she takes a step back. "I rather not talk about it outside like this, plus your just fresh from the dead, trust me I have been there you should be sitting down resting." Sister Rosalind says with concern for her friend in her voice as she looks her over to make sure there seems to be no lingering effects of her trip to the afterlife.

Heal check (1d20+25)[44]

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The distances are great enough that you get a sense of the mood, even though those within range of your aura would calm quickly enough.

The injured man consents to being checked over. He has suffered a blunt trauma to the face, consistent with a blow from a large fist. The injury is not life-threatening, but the structures of the nose are misaligned and you can see it will heal crooked without treatment.

Show
    Pel accedes to your wishes instinctively, responding to the tone of command without conscious thought. So it is that you are soon in what used to be Asoryala's office, where Shauren Starbrow is in the process of sorting through the books and objects.

Glancing up at your approach, she frowns, showing no recognition. You feel a moment's sadness as the thought crosses your mind that Asoryala would have seen through your disguise instantly; but then, one can hardly expect a woman who has been practising her art for a decade or two to rival one with hundreds of years' experience.

At a nod from Starbrow, Pel steps out of the room and leaves you alone. Reaching for a kettle, she heats it with a cantrip and goes to gather the components for a pot of tea.

"My name is Shauren Starbrow,"
    she introduces herself, "acting Arcane Disciple for this temple. It is curious that you should ask to see me, specifically. What brings you here, pilgrim?"

Show
    The Guardian is startled and a little embarrassed by your embrace, but returns it - if somewhat haltingly.

"Fortunately my goddess is more pragmatic about resurrection magic than Theo's,"
    she comments wryly, her voice muffled by your hair. When you pull away to start scrutinizing her, she chuckles softly, her expression indulgent.

You quickly ascertain that the spell used to restore Katraya to life was a raise dead, with the consequence that she is weakened by her ordeal - perhaps permanently. What is more, she seems no stronger for your presence; whatever blessing strengthens her in proportion to the potential threats around her is not currently in effect.

With a nod to another priestess to take over, she leads you inside and into one of the side rooms you've seen before. Once out of sight of others, she slumps slightly, a look of bone-deep weariness coming over her.

Leaning heavily on the table, she eases herself into her seat and looks appraisingly at you. "That's quite the haircut, Rosalind. It suits you. But I would suggest you tidy it up. It looks like some novice hacked at it with a blunt table knife.

"Anyway, mixed news, I take it. But you survive, and you're not the type to leave a threat unaddressed, so I guess the immediate danger is past. Come on, fill me in on everything that happened after that wretched demon pulled the ceiling down on me."

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ettin in the Playground

Madame Starbrow, you might take a closer look. Theo says candidly as he removed his headwear. And I have need of your help in a few tasks. Grab a quill, I need three messages sent by Sending immediately.

The first is to Lord Commander Niall: Theo returned, teleportation. Site is secured, enemy defeated. The Target remains unaltered. Secure perimeter, designate overnight commander, return for debrief with wounded. Bring Pran, please.

The second is to Arbiter Lothrain. Theo returned, teleportation. Enemy routed, send your soldiers home for tonight, to relieve mine in morning. Debrief at your temple, sending Ardaionn to aid transport.

The final is to Abigel. Theo gave a description adequate for a sending spell. There is something you must hear. You need not break your vow tonight. Can fly to you after debrief if you will accept me.

He then moved to leave the room so that his mage could get to work. Thank you so much for your service. This is a time of great need, and that you have filled in admirably has not gone unnoticed. I'll be in the chapel, if you need me. Theo then excused himself, and let Pel and the other doormen know he was there. He reached out to ardaionn to bring him from his perch, and asked the great eagle to go help retrieve the allies who are to return.

With his office occupied by a dangerous eternal assassin, he left for the chapel to receive Niall, before they could go to the Lord Commander's hall and discuss what had happened since they had parted.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Starbrow is sufficiently startled by your transformation to drop the teapot. Flustered, she waves a hand over it to magically clean up the mess before refocusing her attention on you.

"There's a story behind you turning up at your own temple in disguise, isn't there? And I'm betting it's not good news. Still, I'll send the messages now."

There is an interval of quiet, before she begins relaying the responses.

From Niall: "Charis be praised! Well done, Roost.
    I'll be back shortly."

From Lothrain: "With that dragon still out there, no one's leaving overland. I'll coordinate extraction with our allies in the Vanguard, back at temple soon. Relath's blessings."

From Abigel: "Good to hear from you.
    I would be happy to listen to whatever you have to say to me. Charis willing, it will be the -"

Whatever else she had intended to say, the spell's word limit cuts her off. Perhaps, unlike Lothrain and Niall, she is unused to the limitations of this form of communication.

By the time you reach the chapel, Niall and Pran are already there, the latter looking drained but strangely peaceful. Your Lord Commander salutes you, genuine approval on his face.

"All credit to you, Father. You pulled it off.
    And you made the right call by not disturbing the cosmic balance today. I know that won't have come easily to you."

11. - Top - End - #1421

Yara stays as far back as the power allowed, reaching out with her mind to crush his.
    Spoiler: Dominate
    Show

270ft / As far from Krom as allowed by LOS
    Augmented to last 17 Days, Affect Dragon / Nearly all other types.
    DC 23 Will

Show

Sorry that I've been late, have been to busy to get on during the day.
    Initiative: (1d20)[2]
    Is the Power Point Regeneration still in effect?

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ettin in the Playground

Pran, you look drained. You may find safe rest here if needed, or you may go out to seek Sister Rosanlind in this hour. It is up to you.

After dismissing Pran from their presence, Theo sits with Niall, offering him a spot on the pew beside him. You've held command long enough to know that there are few easy decisions when the stakes are high, but this one did come easy. For all the oaths I've sworn, all but two are to Charis. One I have fulfilled, those who murdered my family have been removed from the streams of time. One I had to forfeit, for when I rose to High Priest I had to resign from the Knights. All the rest are to Charis. No matter what my heart yearns for, I will not act but in line with my Holy Oaths to Charis. No promise, deal, agreement or vow comes before those I've made to Our Sentinel.

Allow me to debrief you here, and then I will ask that you find Nathalia and ask how she might give aid to our team. To that end, you may use Shauren for Sending spells, but with the needs of conversation, I'd ask that you seek Nathalia out. I will deal with the Arbiter, they have yet to put their conflicts aside, and so our forces work best when when those two are separated.

Theo waited on Niall's agreement before he proceeded forward. It seems that our greatest enemy - may their names not blaspheme our hall tonight - has been using our conflicts to keep us occupied, expend our resources, and drain us of our strength until his boundless war may overwhelm us. In that end, aside from the fighting you've taken part in, our enemy had attempted to gain two great weapons.

The first is that which I have no choice but to house here. Shroud sought it, and now it is taken away from our enemy. With the Blessings of Charis and the aid of Her allies, the first weapon is secured here and obscured from magical tracking as best we can, and accessible by none but me. The second weapon was The Daughter, who they sought to pervert to their own ends. Those portals my friends and I had gone through were used by those who could stand in, and had they been successful, the Daughter would be our Enemy. And so we must retain our presence, and I am putting you in command of our perimeter forces.

Lothrain will relieve our Templars with his forces tomorrow, and I'd ask that you have Nathalia mobilize to help in our objective. Mister Gunn has eyes on the ground, I want Nathalia to give him aid. Krom escaped, but he is running out of powerful friends here, and others will try to fill the vacuum left tonight. We need to watch the pockets of cultists sworn to our enemy until the next threat arises, and I think Gunn and Nathalia share a talent for this sort of job.

Now
    , Theo says, conclusively, I'm all ears for you, Lord Commander. What can you tell me of your activity since we parted, and what can I do to give aid to you in your mission?
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

As Rosalind inspects the wound and determines it needs to be set properly she explains to the man what will happen if she doesn't reset his nose, followed by the amount of pain most people feel when a nose is reset. "The choice is yours in the end whether I set it or not, however so what shall it be?" she ask, waiting for his approval or disapproval before going any further.

"Raise dead spell, crude given how your body and staff teleported back here so rapidly however perhaps thats all they had at the time. And either we have few enemies our the spell has taken its hold in your rather strongly." she notes referring to the fact the guardian's strength rose with the threat to her temple yet her strength was nowhere near what it had been before.

When the two are alone Sister Rosalind relaxes slightly, however a sad expression filled with pain and loss fills her face at the mention of her hair cut. "You wouldn't be to far of from the truth with such a statement. Never in my life has my hair ever been cut even when I was a child. However a sacrifice had to be made." she says, a hand reaching up to her red hair and feeling its many jagged edges. "As for having someone clean it up no, I may have allowed it to be cut once because it was the only way I could see forward. I will not do so again with no need." she explains before looking around. "Katarya I must ask, where is the staff of Maya, it vanished with you and yet here you are and it doesn't seem to be on your person?" Sister Rosalind asks a bit surpprised by such a turn of events as her friend had tried so hard to get it back to let it out of her sight seemed out of character.

Spoiler: Sense Motives
    Show
    Just to make sure she is who she says she is and all that (1d20+11)[17]

Spoiler: IF she determines this is the real Katarya
    Show
    "How to explain, after your departure from the field we encountered a few more obstacles on the way, nothing to horrible however. We made it to a puzzel room of sorts only a few of us can enter and only with great sacrifice. After that we were transported to the prison that holds the daughter and engaged Krom, a dwarf named Dargun who worships the god of war, A rune warden I misjudged, the demon that had been inside Yara, and another demon that seemed to be using the body of Gunn's old boss. We got Sigrid the runewarden to leave the field as her goals and ours were the same, and Krom was under a magical compulsion by Dargun. When I set him free of it he agreed to help us deal with Dargun." Sister Rosalind explains before telling the rest of the story.

When finished she looks to Katarya and asks the most important question on her mind. "How do you cleanse a god? The Daughter holds a part of the Mother's power and if I can get it back many of the imbalances in the world will be set back, including Melchizar returning to the side of the Mother to guard the ways between worlds. Until this is done my soul cannot rest and will not see the halls of the Mother. The bridge was shattered by Charis as punishment after the rebellion and because of this wraiths in the afterlife are slowly trying to steal the souls of those waiting to cross into the mothers realm. The Judge is doing all he can however his forces are to thin now, it is only a matter of time until a crack forms in their defense and souls start being destroyed for good. Please my friend tell me everything you know."

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Pran acquiesces readily, leaving to meet with Rosalind.

Alone with you, Niall nods approvingly at your words. "I will see to the security of the ruins. But the dragon is a major hindrance. I recommend we gather our strongest allies to slay the beast, so that our Templars can guard the site without that dread peril hanging over them.

"Seeking out Natalia may be prudent, but let's not forget, she has been working to turn us against one another for as long as I have known you. She serves her Master and none other; if His goals coincide with ours, she can be trusted to an extent, but if not…"
    He allows the sentence to hang in the air unfinished, his expression grim.

Asked to report on his own activities, he sits straighter in his chair. "My mission has been the security of this Temple and city. To that end, my Templars have been proactive in hunting down and making examples of those who would use this crisis for criminal ends.

"We discovered a number of criminal gangs have been profiteering in the build up to and indeed during the invasion by Feron. Be assured, we have instilled the fear of Charis in their anarchic hearts!

"We also identified other groups at work. The agents of Chaos are ever quick to take advantage of Order's distraction. Malturite cultists were emboldened to meet openly; they have been purged. The war's unquiet dead have been plaguing the living: we have confronted them where we found them, but the problem remains.

"But perhaps there is something else that would benefit from your… particular gifts. We were pursuing a fugitive - a soldier of Feron who eluded capture and continued to commit acts of terrorism against the populace. We had him, wounded and exhausted, fleeing for his life - until he stumbled across the temple of Berun. The Healer's moronic bootlickers are refusing to hand him over. But I suspect they will listen to you and give him up?"

Show
    Katraya smiles wryly. "Right now, the Staff is safer kept in our vault than on me. Because you are right - for now, I cannot call upon the blessings of the Guardian.

"The gods have a purpose for the powers they bestow on us. My power's purpose was to defend this place and these people. By using it aggressively, rushing off with you and your friends to face the Malturites, I have betrayed that purpose and must pay the price. I only pray it will be a temporary penance."

There is a sincerity here that assuages your doubts. This is Katraya, but the price she has paid for helping you has left her a shadow of her former self in more ways than one.

Listening to the rest of your tale, she shakes her head in wonder.

"You do manage to get yourself mixed up in these grand events, don't you? Cleansing a god…"
    She starts to spread her hands, showing them to be empty of answers, but then pauses as a thought occurs to her.

"Well, perhaps it isn't so outlandish.

"Our oral histories, passed down from one Guardian to the next, tell of the origin of the Sapphire Staff. It is said that the Staff is the physical manifestation of one of the two Words of Primal Magic. The Word of Unmaking. That is why no mortal magic can endure in its presence. In principle, if you could access the true scope of its power, even divine magic would be reduced to its constituent energies.

"But the magic involved would be complex. Not merely to break an enchantment, but to restore the undead to life, to undo the spiritual corruption imposed by such an ordeal, who knows what else? It would take a team of archmages and senior clerics to devise such a sophisticated procedure."

Show
    Yara attempts to crush Krom's will with her own… and senses something opposing her. It is not the sensation of encountering a spell warding against control, nor of a mind strong enough to resist her. Rather, it seems as though another presence, more vast and terrible than she has yet encountered, has already seized Krom's soul in a grip of iron and blood.

There is no space in his thoughts for another command.

Show
    I just need Gunn's initiative roll please before I know whether to post for Krom (who rolled a 9) or whether you're going first.

Timble, the power point regeneration is now a permanent effect.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ettin in the Playground

You are correct about Nathalia. It is indeed best to ensure that the tasks and topics we bring about her halls are properly curated to her and her god's interests.

In the past, her best use as an ally had been information. Maybe we can deploy her for discovering where the Malturite Cult had gone underground. I wouldn't be shocked if they were taking part in necromancy to aid the undead problem, and thus keep us occupied. If she can make a meaningful difference on those ends, then we can focus our troop strength on the dragon problem, and on ruin security.

Theo examined what he might be able to do in the matter of the Feronian terrorist. Whatever reason they have for giving their hostile guest sanctuary, I'll seek to come to an agreement to bring him to justice.

I must first seek out Lothrain and go over the arrangements to relieve our Templars in the morning. And then a proper rest is in order; I will arrive on their doorstep with the sunrise. We should post a watchful eye near the temple, in case the fugitive tries to escape. Who do we have available who's skills match the job?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Titan in the Playground

"I understand your sacrifice and did something similar recently, it is why I am alive." Rosalind admits to her friend. "How long I am alive for however and if I will ever be able to see the Mother's Halls is something I will only learn with time, much like your own powers. One can dream however." she say knowing that she her soul could not rest nor go to the Mother's side until the Black Flame was returned to her, the Betrayer was destroyed for his crimes, and Melchizar once more served the Mother.

"Or a religion that wished to see itself brought back from the brink of death well after all thought it was gone? At old Ganther Dalvar's librarian recognized Yara as if she were his follower or chosen one. Perhaps she has the knowledge on how to do such a thing already?" Sister Rosalind summarizes thinking it was her best chance. "We have until dawn tomorrow to figure out a plan to pull something out of a deity that doesn't belong, and if it cannot be done stop it at all costs...I will have to meditate on this, thank you Kataraya. I think I need to go to the place the Mother touched, but first I must wait for Pran. If you do not mind, may I wait here until he arrives?"

Show
    Rosalind's plan involves going to meditate in the crater with Pran where the Mother herself manifested to try and find a way to do what she seeks to do. Trying to use her new connection to the higher planes to tap into something, shes not quite sure honestly, but the lingering power of the Mother perhaps to show her a vision.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Katraya nods her consent.
    "By all means.

"If you think Yara may have the answer, than speak with her. I'm afraid I'm not much use as a researcher."

The conversation drifts into casual topics, but it is clear Katraya is exhausted. As soon as she can without appearing rude she takes her leave of you, assuring you of your welcome as long as you choose to remain here.

It takes half an hour for Pran to track you down. Your youthful acolyte is clearly drained from his ordeal, but there is a euphoria in his eyes as well, the signs of one who has wrestled in prayer and been answered.
    [B]
    "Hey, Rosalind. How did it all go?"

Show
    Niall thinks briefly, then snaps his fingers.

"Marcus. He was a poacher before Charis showed him the error of his ways; he still has the best eyes in the order. And he's a dependable sort; he won't panic under pressure. I'll give him his orders."

He stands, ready to go about his duties.

"Unless there is anything else, Father?"

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ettin in the Playground

That is all, Lord Commander. I'll be leaving shortly to the temple of Relath. You can expect a Sending to confirm the arranged defenses of the ruins.

I'll also seek allies to destroy the dragon, you are right at that. I know that I need to prepare new spells, and many of our strongest allies will need to prepare in the morning as well, so expect a Sending to help arrange that as well. We will fight together again in glorious combat, Brother.

Theo then gives Niall a salutory gesture appropriate of two men of high rank, and then heads to his office. The primary purpose was to check in on the Deva and his immortal assassin prisoner, but something else stayed at the forefront of his mind. The book. Theo thought. I need my ancestor's book. The answers will be in there.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gunn wastes no time negotiating with this sociopath, not even interested in attempting to bring him under his control. Instead, he focuses on weakening the monster in human form, so that together Perseus and Yara can finish him off.

Spoiler
    Show
    2 charges of Belt of Battle for a bonus Standard action to caste Haste on himself, Perseus, and Yara.
    Ray of Dizziness, ranged touch ((1d20+15)[22])

Perseus then charges, enraged, at Krom.

Spoiler
    Show
    Leap Attack, Power Attack, Raging, Reckless Charge, Haste
    (1d20+29)[32], (1d10+39)[40]
    (1d20+29)[38], (1d10+39)[47]
    (1d20+24)[25], (1d10+39)[48]
    (1d20+19)[21], (1d10+39)[41]
    (1d20+14)[29], (1d10+39)[45]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Titan in the Playground

"Given the subject and time table we are looking at I doubt anyone is really. However one can always hope that Dalvar's chosen will at least have an idea, with a bit of prodding at least." Sister Rosalind adds, knowing that no doubt unless the right questions were asked even if she did know the answer she may not consciously know it.

"To be frank Pran, the only thing that went according to plan is the fact that Melchizar is that much closer to redemption. Come the morning, myself and the other's must return to the temple of bones and do what we can to restore the Daughter to life. It seems the Betrayer in his lust to control her and her power put more of himself into her then he expected and the Black Flame he stole from the Mother is what corrupts the Daughter. If our mission is successful the Daughter will be alive and uncorrupted once the moon rises tomorrow, Melchizar will once more serve the Mother Willingly, and the Betrayer will be that much closer to being destroyed." she explains, leaving what happens if they were to fail unspoken.

"Pran you once said you would never be able to give up material wealth, so I ask why do you feel you need it? As of late it has become harder and harder to find common ground with Mr. Gunn and I believe his ideals and the churches are slowly drifting apart. When this happens if you are willing the trust will be turned over to the temple once more, that we will need to rebuild, as well as Marglean. The two of you will be running the hospice together as partners and thus have control of the funds. I believe it is important for the financial responsibilities of the temple here to be ruled by a committee of three. One devoted to the Mother, another who is devoted to the Father, and a third individual who is devoted to the people we serve and protect this way we can never become corrupt and greedy." she explains before speaking about softer kinder topics.

Eventually however it became apparent that it was time for her to go as the priestess stood."It is time for me to go pray at the place our Mother touched Pran. The temple is simply a crater at the moment and a few buildings were destroyed meaning some people may not be happy. I will understand if you don't want to go there. I have to go there to pray however and commune with the Lover's. If you wish to join me you may." she says getting ready to depart however making it clear he didn't have to go with her if he didn't wish to.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    As you enter your private office, you are greeted by the two Outsiders within: by the deva with a sword raised in salute, and by Melchizar with a lazy wave of the hand.

The ancient assassin is silent, but the deva addresses you as you make your way to the book cabinet. "Hail, Champion. I sense no change in the one bound below this city. Was your mission unsuccessful?"

Opening the cabinet as only you can, you consider the many books and journals within. Perhaps one holds the answers you seek… but which one?

Show
    Taken by surprise, Krom staggers as your first two blows tear through his potent armour and draw blood. Reacting swiftly, teeth bared in a snarl of pain and fury, he lashes out with his axe in a blind slash that nonetheless has terrible strength behind it.

Spoiler: Attack of Opportunity (reach)
    Show
    36 to hit for 32 slashing damage + 7 anarchic damage if lawful

He manages to take the remaining strikes on the better protected segments of his armour, and stares at you with a mix of a outrage and bemusement.

"Three of you? You come against me with so few? I think I'm insulted. Well, if you are so eager to die, I will oblige you."

Showing no sign that the ray of dizziness has affected him, the half-dragon ogre unleashes a frenzy of potent blows against Perseus, axe writhing with sadistic glee.

Spoiler: Raging Mongoose Full Attack
    Show
    37 to hit for 39 slashing + 6 anarchic damage
    35 to hit for 47 slashing + 7 anarchic damage
    Miss (nat 1)
    44 to hit for 39 slashing + 9 anarchic damage
    30 to hit for 46 slashing + 5 anarchic damage

Show
    Pran shakes his head in rebuttal. "I don't mean I want to be wealthy, Sister. I just know all too well what it means to be poor. I've been lucky to escape that life. I'm not going back."

He listens carefully to your proposal, and smiles briefly. "Marglean still sees me as a child. And I don't know that I'm qualified anyway to look after the temple's money. Perhaps one day. But not today."

He is happy to travel with you to the crater that used to be the Gleaming Rose. It is a site the locals are giving a wide berth; as you draw near, you sense the residual negative energy that lingers here, the chill of death's touch causing your breath to mist despite the warm sun overhead. There is a sense of the spiritual having descended into the physical; an imminent, unavoidable reminder that mortal lives exist in the shadow of powers far greater than they, their days numbered and their destinies governed by minds beyond any understanding. It is humbling, even terrifying; a reality most would sooner ignore.

But it is here that you now find yourselves drawn, seeking answers.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ettin in the Playground

My mission was successful, in a way. I'm seeking something of import, though... He ruffled through the books in the cabinet until he came upon the most important of them. The journal of the prophet Aenar.

Aenar said that the answers sought within were encrypted, within these very pages. His ancestor had left behind answers. When to, and how to perform the Redemption... His enemies had found a way to beat him to these answers, decrypted their secrets somehow. Theo needed to find it too.

He took the book and placed it safely in his magic haversack, and deliberately left for the Temple of Relath.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The Celestial does not question you further, and you soon leave for your promised meeting with Lothrain.

The Temple of Relath, extravagant in its imagery of the Heavens, unmistakable in its design as a military stronghold. Is this what a temple to Charis might have been like, before the Fall? If the Sentinel is to be seen as an imposter, how much of your faith's style and indeed substance is a corruption of what your true Goddess intended?

Such musings carry you to the heart of Relath's Temple, where the Arbiter is pacing impatiently. As soon as you are shown into his presence, he strides forward and claps his hands to your shoulders.

"My friend, how good it is to be living in these times! The very hour of Redemption draws near, when the Sword and Shield of the Righteous stand united once more before the hordes of darkness.

"Tell me all, Theo. What passed beneath the ruins? That you triumphed over Krom is clear, and a weight lifted from my soul. What more do you have to share?"

24. - Top - End - #1434

Yara see's Perseus's wounds, she'd have to replace him with a construct. But how to by the time.

"Interesting, Krom. It seems to some extent you're still dominated," Yara says nonchalantly, to throw him off. Immediately, she follows up by tearing open time itself.
    Spoiler: Time Hop
    Show

Targeting Krom, his weapon and his armour separately if I can. Augmented to affect 3 Creatures/Objects. Augmented for weight if necessary.
    DC 18 Will Save or be gone for lets say 5 turns. Wisdom 15 each turn to get back early.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ettin in the Playground

We are indeed nearing the day, Arbiter. Theo admitted. And what transpired since we parted will amaze you in part. I spoke to him, my ancester, the Prophet Aenar. He revealed to me that everything he had discovered is obscured in his journal, of which I am in possession. And on the other side of that hall stood Krom, dominated by Dargun's enchanted gift, and a number of Dargun's other allies. Dargun lay slain, and his demon friends sent to the Abyss. Krom was the only one of our enemy to walk away, as bad of news as that is. But I have Gunn hot on his tail, and we will keep eyes on him until he is vulnerable and unsuspecting.

Theo continued his report on the conflict, but left out the part where he let Krom leave unrestrained, instead stating it as the villain's withdrawal from combat.

We will return there together to redeem my Lady. That is the last that I had here to tell you, a secret of Aenar's. The Daughter isnt what we think it is my Goddess, My Lady, Charis, cast down from Her Holy Seat and corrupted by our evil enemies. The one who reigns above is Her stand-in, a copy, who must be set aside upon the Redemption. And so I come here to ask of you, what news do you have for me on the Chalice of Relath?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind listens carefully to Pran's words before commenting. "Marglean see's you as a child because you are still growing and learning as we all are. She has been with me a long time helping the people of the poor district and without her help I can honestly say the hospice would not have been able to do as well as it did. She was an excellent student when it came to the mundane practices of medicine, as well as a good teacher to those who came after her when I wasn't able to do so myself. She has the knowledge of what needs to be done, and how best to do it with the information she has available. However you Pran are the one with the ability to make her idea's a reality, together the two of you could do many things, and that is why I think it would be wise to have the two of you work closer together. Your abilities with the Lover's gifts have grown at a rate few in Pacem have ever seen and because of that sudden leap in ability without the knowledge that goes with it you are more easily persuaded to do things that someone less skilled with magic but more with the mundane ways of doing things would be." Sister Rosalind says, referring to when Stanza used his infatuation with her as an example of doing the right thing for the wrong reason. "I cannot hold the money for long, and when the trust is turned back over to me I must find a person I can trust to serve the wishes of the Lover's as well as the hospice. I believe the temple can accomplish this if we have a balance system. Just as life and death must be in perfect balance. You and Marglean would have to learn to do the same. Is it something you are at least willing to consider?" she asks, not wanting to force him to do something he knew he wasn't ready for.

Once at the crater that once used to be the Gleaming Rose Sister Rosalind can feel the pull from the other side, that same chill she had felt when she was in the afterlife. "Hello Mother." she says as the air begins to mist in front of her. " I hope you do not mind, however we come seeking your wisdom. You know the question to which we seek, for it is our duty to be the gifts you deserve. Please show us what has remained shrouded in Shadow, let our Father illuminate it with his light so that we may do your bidding." Sister Rosalind prays aloud as she makes her way to the center of the crater, her aura glowing brighter and brighter as she makes her way to the center where she sits, eyes closed in prayer.

Show

Sister Rosalind wouldn't openly say hey how do we free the daughter and cleanse her of the black flame, however she would think it in her prayer.Basically her mind is trying to piece together how the black flame trapped inside the daughter (who I don't believe she knows is Charis) and Melchizar are supposed to fit together so that she may return them both to their rightful place. She would stay in this meditative state all night

27. - Top - End - #1437

Yara is relieved to see Krom vanish, though only for a short time. Knowing she must prepare, she begins construction on multiple constructs. Variants on the construct that had helped kill the demon, these were visible abominations of tentacle and claw.
    Show

2 Constructs with: Constrict, Rend, Muscle, Extra Attack
    1: (19d10+40)[148] | 2: (19d10+40)[151]

Yara then prepares for his reappearance in time.
    Show

The Constructs wait around where Krom will reappear
    Telekinetic Thrust (Will DC 18) on Krom and on his weapon. Aiming Krom 170ft straight up (Does Krom have wings? He is part dragon. If he does, ignore this part) and his weapon a safely away on the ground.
    The constructs tear into him on landing with their clawed tentacles.
    Con 1:
    1: (1d20+30)[48] for (2d6+18)[25]
    -Grapple: (1d20+38)[56]
    --Constrict: (2d6+18)[27]
    2: (1d20+30)[49] for (2d6+18)[24]
    -Grapple: (1d20+38)[54]
    --Constrict: (2d6+18)[25]
    3: (1d20+30)[40] for (2d6+18)[26]
    -Grapple: (1d20+38)[52]
    --Constrict: (2d6+18)[29]
    if 2 attacks hit, rends for (2d6+27)[35]

Con 2:
    1: (1d20+30)[44] for (2d6+18)[22]
    -Grapple: (1d20+38)[44]
    --Constrict: (2d6+18)[24]
    2: (1d20+30)[41] for (2d6+18)[27]
    -Grapple: (1d20+38)[47]
    --Constrict: (2d6+18)[22]
    3: (1d20+30)[44] for (2d6+18)[25]
    -Grapple: (1d20+38)[46]
    --Constrict: (2d6+18)[24]
    if 2 attacks hit, rends for (2d6+27)[34]

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Lothrain takes a moment to process all you have said before answering.

"Relath's wrath,"
    he murmurs, for once robbed of his ebullience. "That's… staggering.

"So much of our planning has been to restore to Charis the grace She cast aside. But if you are right, if the Sentinel is not truly Charis… is it right to do that? Would we be murdering the Sentinel?

"And yet Charis must rise again. And She must reclaim the power and the authority the Sentinel now wields.

"There will be blood shed before this is done, Theo. The cause is righteous, but I fear the cost."

Letting out an uneasy breath, he falls silent briefly, head bowed in an attitude of prayer. Finally he looks up to address your question.

"We have a theory. The Chalice became corrupted when a righteous man spilt the lifeblood of an innocent. We believe that it could be sanctified by an act of heroic sacrifice on the part of a soul stained by true evil.

"And we have a volunteer. Yara.

"Come the dawn, we are arranging to summon a mighty celestial to speak with her. We hope for a quest, for some guidance from on high to…"

He trails off, apparently having heard himself speaking and recognising the desperation of his plan. With a wry chuckle, he shakes his head. "Honestly? We're looking for a miracle."

Spoiler: Rosalind - earlier
    Show
    Pran looks uncertain, but nods his assent. "All right. I guess I could be on board with being the Lovers' voice in that. I guess you'd need to pick the third person carefully, though."

Spoiler: Rosalind - now
    Show
    As you kneel in meditation, you sense the presence of your deities - a spiritual pressure akin to being in the fathomless depths of the ocean, accompanied by a sense of energy as though lightning were surging through your whole body. It is uncomfortable, but not beyond your endurance; at the limit of human comprehension, but not overwhelming.

It is a communion beyond words or description, filled with the unvoiced assurance of your gods' love and guidance; yet it is not a state that lends itself to specific answers. So it is that the sense of divine imminence recedes, refocusing elsewhere.

At your side, Pran gives a startled exclamation, his whole body going rigid. He turns towards you, and you catch sight of his eyes, which have turned completely black with no iris or sclera visible.

When he speaks, it is with a sonorous voice not his own. "Greetings, faithful and beloved. I am sent to give counsel. The path you walk is shrouded in darkness; but darkness is no barrier to those we serve.

"Our Lady knows your heart, devoted one. You have learned of the Betrayer's error - that He overplayed His hand by seeking to ensnare the Shield of the Righteous. Yet it is no error if none can take advantage of it. That troubles you.

"And you fear also for the lesser traitor, Melchizar. You would set all who have wandered astray back on the narrow path. But not all who fall desire to rise again.

"As for the Betrayer, the ground was laid for this moment long ago - with the last saint to bear the name Rosalind. Look to her for the means to separate our Lady's flame from the broken Shield - though not to her alone. The Champion Charis named in Her last free act knows the rest."

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Rosalind earlier with Pran
    Show
    "Sadly that will not be an easy task, at the moment the only two I know I can trust if I were to die to look after the poor the way I have are you and Marglean. A third will be hard to find to keep the balance however it is something I intend to do when I am able. The obvious choice sadly has other ideas of what they wish to do, and I will not force on them a duty that goes against their very reason for being. Add in your strong ties to the powers of the Mother, asking someone from the temple of Berun to stand in would not be wise either as they may look at your powers in the wrong light. After all the temple of the Lover's has not been in New Ganther long, and their only representative up until recently was me. So most people's views on the Lover's come from them seeing me healing people and taking care of them. They do not understand yet the Love of the Mother and how her powers differ from those of traditional necromancers." she explains waiting to see if Pran understood what she meant.

As the priestess who was so recently returned from the dead grasped at the connection to the other world she felt her consciousness drift away as the presences of the Lovers became more and more enveloping. When the presence moves towards Pran she watches as his eyes go black and listens intently to what the being had to say, not necessarily a celestial, however nor was it fiendish in nature.

Spoiler: Knowldge Checks
    Show

Religion on being possessing Pran (as thats what I'm assuming is happening) (1d20+20)[34]
    The planes (1d20+2)[21]

"Thank you honored one for coming to grant me guidance. I understand your time here is limited and will not waste time. You say I wish to bring those back to their path and this is partially true. Melchizar did what he felt he had to do to serve the Mother's original purpose for him. His seat of protecting the ways while important left him feeling empty and thus made him forget why he did what he was made to do. It is like a baker who can no longer bake and instead tries to fill it with similar jobs. It will never fill in the hole that is left fully. I wish to see him free and I believe he has spent long enough in isolation for his crime, however I am unsure if he would not simply do it again if the situation is not changed. I know killing is wrong, however so is cheating death which he has devoted his life to stopping in the service of the Mother. And I cannot say since he has been imprisoned the world has become safer, only all to recently a lich was destroyed, an immortal denying our Mother what is hers. How many more like him could have been stopped had Melchizar been free to do what he was meant to do?" Sister Rosalind asks, not really expecting an answer to such a question, however making it known that she did question the choice.

"I thought it was the Daughter he trapped not Charis herself?" Sister Rosalind replies startled by this revelation, it would have such a huge impact and no doubt divide the church of Charis if they knew the truth. "What worries me is that someone who should have been out of the reach of the Betrayer's tricks was within his reach and because of that he has almost gained control over the ways. If the union that is stands the balance will shift and evil will reign causing countless bloodshed and eventually their will be far to few living people left. The souls that stand at the gate shall never gain entry to the Mother's halls and the Betrayer will get what he has wanted. All things need balance, and even now the scales are slowly tipping. Forces beyond mortal understanding are playing chess and those who do not wish for the best of humanity are at the moment taking control of the board. I wish to fix this."

"I will meditate on what you have said, thank you." Sister Rosalind says before she tries to recall all the information she knows about the woman who started her faith, her name sake, Saint Rosalind.

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show

Religion (1d20+20)[34]

Sadly no other knowledge skills

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ettin in the Playground

Yara, she volunteered? Bah - she has done so much, I've long considered her redeemed in my eyes. Her soul was scarred by the entity she housed, to be sure, but there is still work to be done? Is there no end to the judgment laid upon her soul? Theo pontificated, frustrated for no real reason, yet taken aback all the same. If that is how it is to be, then so be it. Thankfully we do not need to look for an other option. With the Blessings from the Righteous God, may we yet find success.

I will need to study this book, but upon sunrise you shall prepare the forces you have to relieve my Templars from the perimeter defense. By then, I hope to have found the path Aenar left for me to follow. Charis shall once again rise with her Shield of Righteousness, and will lift Her Lamp to guide out way. Unfortunately, I must be off, I have another patron to my Goddess to attend to.

Theo bade the temple guards a good evening and stepped outside. Ardaionn would be waiting to take him back to Abigel.
    Spoiler
    Show