New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Elemental savant; getting around immunities?

I've dug theough the forum but didn't see much about this rather underwheliming prestige class. I know some blasting wizards and sorcerers like it while others don't for its lack of versatility and spell progression loss. But i like the flavor of the class and think bbn i might have found a way around that lack of versatility for things with elemental immunities. But i wanted others opinions on how it would work.

To get into the Elemental Savant prestige class, you need the energy substitution feat which you can use to cause a spell that deal fire,cold,lightning or acid damage into he damage you selected for the feat. So if you have Energy Substitution(electric) you can turn a fireball into a loo lightning ball.

When you prestige, however, all your spells that deal energy damage are automatically converted to your chosen speciality,which must match your energy substitution feat,by you class feature.

Now that you know how it work, here's my question. In the example above if you prestige and take energy substitution again for a different energy,say acid, can you use it to cast non-electric spells by converting them to acid. For example,

Fireball forcibly becomes lightning ball via class feature and then an acid ball via your feat?

Or

Would fireball become acidball due to you feat before becoming forcibly changed to lightning ball?

Im pretty sure the rules says feats stack in the way most beneficial to the character but I'm not sure of that applies to class feature and feats stacking. Thoughts/rulings?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Elemental savant; getting around immunities?

yeah you can convert it to acid in your example if you want to.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yea, you could probably do the first example, though your DM might rule that metamagic/class abilities only apply to the "final" form it's in.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    yeah you can convert it to acid in your example if you want to.
    I don't believe it would:

Elemental Specialty (Ex): The first step toward transcending mortal form requires an elemental savant to choose her elemental specialty. Upon entering the class, she must select an element and its associated energy type (air = electricity, earth = acid, fire = fire, or water = cold). This choice must match the Energy Substitution feat that the savant selected to gain entry to the prestige class. When the savant casts a spell that normally deals energy damage, its energy descriptor changes to the savant’s chosen energy type, and it deals damage of that energy type instead of its normal energy type
    It would seem elemental specialty would override energy substitution.

However, if you wish to overcome immunities, for fire and cold there is searing spell and piercing cold respectively.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

There are feats, however, like (I think it's called) Searing Heat, which causes your [fire] spells to damage [fire] creatures by just being so hot even their immunity doesn't apply.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As Crake says, the way the 3.5 Elemental Savant is worded makes the class dangerously weak bacuse they have to use their chosen element, that said, it is a very reasonable house rule to allow the character to choose whether or not (or which) element to substitue into a spell.
    The 3.0 version of the class was reasomable without be overpowered (no more so than any other mage) but the 3.5 version was nerfed into unplayability for me - consider asking your DM about porting some of the 3.0 class back into play.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Ok, thanks for all your advice!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I don't believe it would:

It would seem elemental specialty would override energy substitution.

However, if you wish to overcome immunities, for fire and cold there is searing spell and piercing cold respectively.
    I thought Piercing Cold helped with resistance but not with immunity?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

A lot of these less popular PrCs got left by the wayside because they lose spellcasting. You could always ask your GM to let you use Prestigious Spellcaster from Pathfinder to fill in the missing progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I thought Piercing Cold helped with resistance but not with immunity?
    I believe both do affect immunes (they take half damage.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I believe both do affect immunes (they take half damage.)
    Ah, right, Piercing Cold deals half damage to you if you're immune to cold for a reason other than having the [Cold] subtype. What I was remembering is that Piercing Cold doesn't get past the [Cold] subtype, while Searing Spell does get around the [Fire] subtype. That was why I had remembered that Searing Spell is superior to Piercing Cold.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Elemental savant; getting around immunities?

Your a mage. You really like electricity. You become an air elemental savant. So a 3rd level fireball is lightning. 3rd level slot 1 of 4 used

You memorize a fireball add the level adjusted feat now your fireball is a 4th level slot fireball (acid) 1 of 3 slots used.

How I would write it out so I and DM both could check rules if questions arise. Wizards are paperwork intense.

3rd level spell
    Fireball [electric damage] free conversion
    Tiny hut
    Daylight [continual light] I am old will give same spell with both names.

4th level

Fireball [acid damage] one level conversion needed
    Black tentacles
    Summon monster 4
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Ah, right, Piercing Cold deals half damage to you if you're immune to cold for a reason other than having the [Cold] subtype. What I was remembering is that Piercing Cold doesn't get past the [Cold] subtype, while Searing Spell does get around the [Fire] subtype. That was why I had remembered that Searing Spell is superior to Piercing Cold.
    It's a bit better if you go with Frost Mage prestige class, where upon immunities no longer protect you at all. I think cold subtype still protects you, not entirely sure.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    It's a bit better if you go with Frost Mage prestige class, where upon immunities no longer protect you at all. I think cold subtype still protects you, not entirely sure.
    Not quite. It just grants you the piercing cold feat and allows you to bypass all resistances and immunities imparted by spells and "spell-like effects," but not the cold subtype itself, so that will still block piercing cold (unless your target acquired the cold subtype via mantle of the icy soul. since this isn't a dispel effect, it can still evade the spell, even though it's instantaneous)
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition