New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default New Turn Undead Trick

Hi All

New trick! (I think. If one of you has a link to wear this is discussed, I am very sad)

Basically, you want a binder/heirophant/cleric. Good luck with flavor.

You bind Tenebrous, and then use the heirophants ability to transfer a turn undead attempt every five minutes. Then, you either give them to yourself(debatable) and DMM, or to our friendly cleric buddy. Also, you could give them to another heirophant, and get the turn undeads back. Now, we have almost two persistent spells an hour. This might not sound like much, until one remembers that you can not sleep with this combo, be just sit around for a month accumulating turn attempts. What do you think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New Turn Undead Trick

Quote Originally Posted by Helloqwerty View Post
    Hi All

New trick! (I think. If one of you has a link to wear this is discussed, I am very sad)

Basically, you want a binder/heirophant/cleric. Good luck with flavor.

You bind Tenebrous, and then use the heirophants ability to transfer a turn undead attempt every five minutes. Then, you either give them to yourself(debatable) and DMM, or to our friendly cleric buddy. Also, you could give them to another heirophant, and get the turn undeads back. Now, we have almost two persistent spells an hour. This might not sound like much, until one remembers that you can not sleep with this combo, be just sit around for a month accumulating turn attempts. What do you think?
    Seems legit. Great job! After 10 years being out of print, it isn't every day we see a new trick.

You can use tenebrous's turn/rebuke every 5 rounds, so I'm not sure why you're waiting 5 minutes. You're a willing creature, so you can target yourself if you want to. More reliable than nightsticks.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post

You can use tenebrous's turn/rebuke every 5 rounds, so I'm not sure why you're waiting 5 minutes.
    Thanks! Misread that ability. That makes it A LOT better. Now we have 120 turn undead an hour.
    Last edited by Yan Korlat; 2018-05-30 at 02:11 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helloqwerty View Post
    Thanks! Misread that ability. That makes it A LOT better. Now we have 120 turn undead an hour.
    yeah, that's the stuff. persist all your spells.
    Last edited by Venger; 2018-05-30 at 02:20 AM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Away from books at the moment; can you give me a rundown of which Hierophant ability you're using, and how you're using it?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Away from books at the moment; can you give me a rundown of which Hierophant ability you're using, and how you're using it?
    Gift of the Divine (Su) allows a hierophant to transfer one or more uses of his turn undead ability to a willing creature. Also important, while the transfer is in effect, the number of turning attempts per day allowed to the hierophant is reduced by the number transferred.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

With what sample build/ECL can this be accomplished?
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Hierophant requires 15 ranks in Knowledge (religion) and 7th level divine spells. Tenebrous is a 4th level vestige. You're looking at Binder 7/Cleric 13/Heirophant 1 to pull this off. I'm sure there are shenanigans that will trigger it sooner, but I'm no expert at that.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Binder 3 / Cleric 2 / Tenebrous Apostate 5 / +3 Divine CL / Hierophant 1

EDIT: Whoops that doesn't work. Yeah, just go Ur-Priest instead

As long as you make your first feat Improved Binding to boost your EBL up to 8 7 (4th level Vestiges) and take a single Metamagic feat (Extend, Persistant are obvious choices for DMM cheese). Unfortunately with this build you don't get access to 9th level spells, so it might be better to go with Ur-Priest instead of Cleric.

It is BASICALLY still the same as the Tenebrous Apostate build mentioned in the Binder Handbook, with the only real exception being that you take a single level of Hierophant.

But yeah, 20 persisted spells per hour is pretty sick.
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2018-05-30 at 07:41 PM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin