New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Sci Fi RPG Suggestions?

Hello!

I've been playing 3.5 for several years. My group wants to try out something new (not abandoning 3.5, just expanding horizons.) Sci Fi was suggested.

We're all 30-40 somethings with kids, so we don't want something extremely complicated to learn.

I've played Rifts before, but I recall it having superfluous rules, skills, etc.

I vaguely remember Star Frontiers, and I'm open to that again.

I've also heard that Stars Without Number is good.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Sci Fi RPG Suggestions?

Any particular setting?

Star Wars Saga Edition is good, and can be used for generic sci-fi as well. Hell, there's a fantasy conversion of it from the guys over at D20radio. Savage Worlds is pretty good too. I've heard Starfinder is supposed to be good, but I have zero experience with it, beyond looking at the SRD.
    GMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Savage Worlds: Sky Blazers
    Star Wars Saga Edition: Heart of Corellia, Dawn of Shadows

Playing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pathfinder: Illoria

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sparx MacGyver View Post
    I've heard Starfinder is supposed to be good...
    Not Starfinder unless you're looking for a odd modded Pathfinder/5e mashup that has level limited equipment and a weak add-on spaceship board game. Actually it does a comic book style Guardians of the Galaxy thing decently, with about as much science.

Classic Traveller is an option. I've been contemplating using a Paranoia edition to run a semi-serious (and less silly-lethal) game set on an interstellar generation ship, although I haven't decided if the players an characters will get to know that it's a ship.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

SciFi is a really wide genre. If you like transhumanism and existential horror, then Eclipse Phase would be something to recommend very highly (if you watched Altered Carbon on Netflix, it's rather similar in the way the distinction between mind and body is being handled)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The new version of Stars Without Number is great. I highly recommend it.

Alternity was and is a good bet since you can set it's "hardness" to however you like and the system is strong enough to do . . . well . . . most anything you need it to do. I've not read the new version, but the old one, if you dig up the books, is quite excellent.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    SciFi is a really wide genre. If you like transhumanism and existential horror, then Eclipse Phase would be something to recommend very highly (if you watched Altered Carbon on Netflix, it's rather similar in the way the distinction between mind and body is being handled)
    Eclipse Phase is also heavy, I recommend people use the official Fate hack (which is really good, but is Fate and so might be a dealbreaker).

Mongoose Traveller is also a great option. It's an updated version of the most classic space opera RPG with some more modern stuff. 1e is by far the more complete, having rules for ship building in the actual main rulebook (kind of important for a Space Opera game, no Mongoose I'm not shelling out £40 for the 2e ship rules, when I can use 1e and just spend like £20 on High Guard for additional options), although 2e has a few more options for character creation. Spaceships are relatively good, reactionless drives are assumed to be standard and if you want to use reaction drives you'll need a lot of hydrogen tankage on ships, STL uses acceleration in gravities and a theoretical maximum of c for all ships, and remember that just because the rules say jumps last a week doesn't mean this has to be true.

Stars Without Number... suffers from being d20 based. That is characters start fairly squishy and end up fairly tough. Also, if you want hard spaceships it's certainly not for you (but then if you want hard spaceships you'd be playing GURPS Space). It does the old 'give spaceships speed' bull**** if I remember correctly, so get's a big disrecommendation based just on that.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #7

RangerGuy

SciFi is a bigger collection of genres then Fantasy is.

I have to mention Planet Mercenary. Which is based on the Shlock Mercenary webcomic, but requires no more knowledge of the universe then what is presented in the book. I let a freind look throuh my copy and and now he wants to run it. You play the commanders of a merc company (by default) and have a fireteam under each players command. Character death is a possibility, but making a new character is easy. And the Mayham deck is just fun.

You could go the Star Wars route. Each variety has its advantages and disadvantages. Revised d20 is very similar to 3.x, so you basically already know the game. Saga is likely a better game, but I haven't played that version.
    Traveller is the old standard for scifi games, and for good reason. Although I have only got to make characters, and never got to play them. 😕
    GURPS Space is a game for rocket scientists, I understand the math, but don't want to use it. Although GURPS can be used for scifi without going that deep into the physics, and can be a lot of fun.
    There is the newest Star Trek game. Which is 2d20 based, and that is all I know of it.
    Fragged Empires is a post-apocalytic far future scifi game, where humanity is dead, as are the heirs of humanity. The next generation of species are returning to space, and having to deal with each other, as well as the legacy of what came before.

Fading Suns, CthulhuTech (great setting, bad game), Warhammer 40k, and Starfinder are all sci-fantasy. So may be outside what you are looking for.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

8. - Top - End - #8

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    Fading Suns, CthulhuTech (great setting, bad game), Warhammer 40k, and Starfinder are all sci-fantasy. So may be outside what you are looking for.
    Well hell, if you're going to go that far into sci-fantasy I feel I have to mention Dungeons the Dragoning 40k, 7th edition. It's basically what happens if you pour Mass Effect, Planescape, WoD and 40k into a blender and somehow pour out awesome.

Let's see SF gaming recommendations.... If you have a favored system, pretty much everyone has taken a swing at it, so if you like D20 there is Alternity and Dragonstar and Starfinder. The generic systems such as GURPs and Hero handle SF ok. Or you can look for an IP you like, such as the several Star Wars systems, Battle Tech, Star Trek, several GURPs world books from the Vorkosigan saga to Planet Krishna. There is probably a Weberverse game to go along with the Saganami Island simulator, if not you could make one out of any of the mentioned systems. There is a Babylon 5 based game.

Or stand alone games intended to explore their own niche from Eclipse Phase to Shadowrun to Albedo to Expendables....

What sort of thing are you looking for?

9. - Top - End - #9

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andor13 View Post
    Well hell, if you're going to go that far into sci-fantasy I feel I have to mention Dungeons the Dragoning 40k, 7th edition. It's basically what happens if you pour Mass Effect, Planescape, WoD and 40k into a blender and somehow pour out awesome.
    I mentioned D:tD in the last recomation thread. I like to mix stuff up, not mention any one property too often.

But another choice is Cyberpunk. Very simple mechanics. Straight out of the 80s future feel.
    The Cortex system has both Serenity and Firefly. Although buying either of them might be a challenge. As well as Battlestar Galatica.
    There are several games based around time travel, from Doctor Who to TimeWatch and Continuum.
    3:16 Carnage amoungst the Stars is the "murder the alien" rpg game.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

GURPS Space is a game for rocket scientists, I understand the math, but don't want to use it. Although GURPS can be used for scifi without going that deep into the physics, and can be a lot of fun.
    GURPS Space is probably the best book out there for building your own Space Opera universe. Discussion of how to do a realistic space campaign, and a lot of discussion on how to break realism to go to the stars and the affects of such. For example it's discussion of FTL drives gets down to how being contactable during FTL changes a setting, as well as a bit of acknowledgement that the more ships require fuel the smaller the resulting empires will be.

I will also note that GURPS Spaceships makes designing spaceships so much easier. Pick your size category, plonk in 20 systems, work out how many engineers you need to keep it running (total of all systems), assign bridge crew. The actual rules make it possible for a 10km long vessel to be crewed entirely by five PCs, if you're willing to pay the cost of full automation.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Alternity was and is a good bet since you can set it's "hardness" to however you like and the system is strong enough to do . . . well . . . most anything you need it to do. I've not read the new version, but the old one, if you dig up the books, is quite excellent.
    At the very least, if you can dig up the sourcebooks, they have dang good fleshed out settings. While I've never managed to get a game of Alternity going myself, I reference the Star*Drive manual a lot.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Mongoose Traveller is definitely classic-style, good, and fairly straightforward. I'd recommend it as a way to get some variety from D&D.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Mongoose Traveller is definitely classic-style, good, and fairly straightforward. I'd recommend it as a way to get some variety from D&D.
    It's also a bit hard to track down - which brings me to its own retroclone, Cepheus Engine, which is basically the same game and far easier to find. This represents the hard simulationist end pretty well, and if you drift towards narrativism there's a few other major options. I'd suggest looking at d6 Space, Blood in Space, Bulldogs, and Shock: Social Science Fiction.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

You're aged 30-40, so I think you might appreciate the themes and styles of SLA Industries.

It's a deliberately transparent mix of 1980's sci-fi - lots of references to Blade Runner, Aliens, Judge Dredd and the likes - and while it has a very dark sense of humour and a reasonable measure of grit, it is significantly less noire and more tongue-in-cheek than Cyberpunk 2020.
    It was also reprinted in 2016, so getting a hold of it shouldn't be too much trouble.

I would also recommend Dark Heresy and it's various spin-offs, if you like a bit of "high Fantasy" sprinkled in with your dystopian sci-fi. It sounds like a weird mix, if you're not already familiar with the Warhammer 40,000 universe, but it works surprisingly well and is definitely a simple system to pick up.
    Good luck finding a cheap copy of the book though; Dark Heresy itself has been abandoned and reprinted a couple of times, so depending on which version you find they tend to get treated like collector's items more than toys. Try somewhere DriveThru-RPG and get the .pdf to see what you think of it, before committing to a physical book!
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Saga is likely a better game [than Revised d20], but I haven't played that version.
    Yes. Yes it is.

I've played both - and Saga is much better. If nothing else - the balance between Jedi and no-force is FAR FAR better. In pure combat Jedi are still near the top of the pack (just don't allow Skill Focus: Use the Force until level 7ish and they won't break the game early) but they're all in the same ballpark.

In Revised d20 the force users are just better than everyone else.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

The new edition of Trinity Aeon is almost out - I'm a backer, and the raw text release Onyx Path did is already seeing a lot of play at my table.

17. - Top - End - #17

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    Yes. Yes it is.

I've played both - and Saga is much better. If nothing else - the balance between Jedi and no-force is FAR FAR better. In pure combat Jedi are still near the top of the pack (just don't allow Skill Focus: Use the Force until level 7ish and they won't break the game early) but they're all in the same ballpark.

You know, I liked the use of feats and skills for Force powers in d20 SW. It gave some real customization options to the different Force users.

But I've looked over Use the Force and the saga Force powers and traditions now. The more I think about it, the more I think Saga had a good approach.

Would you be willing to take part in a discussion about this, so we don't derail this thread?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    You know, I liked the use of feats and skills for Force powers in d20 SW. It gave some real customization options to the different Force users.

But I've looked over Use the Force and the saga Force powers and traditions now. The more I think about it, the more I think Saga had a good approach.

Would you be willing to take part in a discussion about this, so we don't derail this thread?
    Derailing threads is what the internet is for!

Though really - it's been nearly a decade since I've actually played Saga Edition (though I have re-read chunks as I've written my own game, especially as I think it did a great job on the intro being quick & accessible - something I've tried to emulate), and longer since I've played Revised.

The only major balance point is that Use the Force can be OP in the early levels if someone nabs Skill Focus on it, and that I was a big fan of how they got the fluff/crunch to mesh by basically saying that sure Jedi are better... because they're all PC classes! And to a Jedi Knight (vs Padawan) is at least level 7 - which is far higher than the general populace.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Yes. Yes it is.

And the FFG version is best of all, it’s actually space opera and encourages role playing not just hack and slash power gaming. System itself is pretty simple and the concept of success/failure separation from advantage/threat opens up great story telling.
    Last edited by Dynodragon; 2018-06-08 at 01:15 PM.
    Current rpg games:
    Stars Wars (GM)
    Symbaroum Nero, changeling wizard
    Elite:Dangerous, Kaldair McGee

Current games:
    Clash of Clans
    Seaport
    DomniNations

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dynodragon View Post
    And the FFG version is best of all, it’s actually space opera and encourages role playing not just hack and slash power gaming. System itself is pretty simple and the concept of success/failure separation from advantage/threat opens up great story telling.
    I don't think that there's a direct better/worse between Saga & FFG. They have very different feels.

Saga > Revised because they both come at things from a similar d20 perspective, but Saga is far more balanced, has more character depth & smoother play.

FFG is a different beast entirely. (I'm not a huge fan of the custom dice schtick - but it seems fine.)

I haven't played it - but there are those who still swear that the old WEG d6 system is superior to all three.
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2018-06-08 at 01:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

EvilClericGuy

Derailing threads is what the internet is for!
    Nah, the Internet's for...you know what? Never mind.

Though really - it's been nearly a decade since I've actually played Saga Edition (though I have re-read chunks as I've written my own game, especially as I think it did a great job on the intro being quick & accessible - something I've tried to emulate), and longer since I've played Revised.
    No worries; I'll take decade old recollections.

The only major balance point is that Use the Force can be OP in the early levels if someone nabs Skill Focus on it, and that I was a big fan of how they got the fluff/crunch to mesh by basically saying that sure Jedi are better... because they're all PC classes! And to a Jedi Knight (vs Padawan) is at least level 7 - which is far higher than the general populace.
    Interesting.

If you're willing, I started a new topic here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post23136326

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It's also a bit hard to track down - which brings me to its own retroclone, Cepheus Engine, which is basically the same game and far easier to find. This represents the hard simulationist end pretty well, and if you drift towards narrativism there's a few other major options. I'd suggest looking at d6 Space, Blood in Space, Bulldogs, and Shock: Social Science Fiction.
    Mongoose Traveller is not hard to find at all. Both 1st and 2nd editions are available at DTRPG. (Dead tree editions can be gotten from Amazon.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I've tallied up all the points for this thread, and consulted with the debate judges, and the verdict is clear: JoeJ wins the thread.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Hello!

I've been playing 3.5 for several years. My group wants to try out something new (not abandoning 3.5, just expanding horizons.) Sci Fi was suggested.
    I give a strong recommendation to Star Wars Saga edition. It plays out very similar to 3.5 (even has most of the same rules) and will feel very familiar.

The one thing to watch for being Jedi (they have some very distinct flavors). Jedi can be taken out of the game if you're looking for more vanilla sci fi, or they can be refluffed as generic psionic characters (a bit like mass effect).
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

24. - Top - End - #24

GnomePirate

WEG D6 Star wars is awesome and every book is available for free and FF is reprinting the book at some point. Very easy to learn, completely customizable, classless, 100s of races(or make your own), 100s of ships, vehicles and planets. You can run your campaign however you want, be Rebels, be Imperials, work for both sides or neither. I think its maybe the best most fluid RPG in existence. And its classless :)

25. - Top - End - #25

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Hello!

Well, if your group's familiar with 3.5, Starfinder will not be hard to learn. Whether it will sufficiently expand your horizons is another question. If you do try it, note the changes in certain action types. (5' step is now a move action, full-round actions now eat your swift as well.) Also, be sure to be up on FAQ fixes to the broken Starship combat DCs.

I've seen complaints about the item level system. Remember that, like the enemy CR system, it's meant as a suggestion for GMs, and helps simplify answering "how much of my WBL can be spent on one item?" that always comes up in 3.5 derivatives.

Paizo has a short adventure coming out Saturday as part of Free RPG Day. You may want to see if any of your local stores are offering it to give Starfinder a try.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Let me throw an off the wall suggestion for Myriad Song. It balances "PCs and major villians are exceptional" and "everyone uses the same creation system" remarkably well, with a fast combat resoulution that gives heros and major villians an explicit 1/session plot armor to get out of a bad hit.

Setting wise, it evokes a psych rock aestetic- you might say they're trying too hard to be like Guardians of the Galaxy, except it was published back in 2013. Space magic uses the music skill, there's FTL but no written rules for starship combat, and all the conflicting factions have a mix of all the alien races working for them, so working for one organization or another doesnt restrict character options.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...housand-Worlds

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

So...just a few mentions off the top of my head (trying to avoid anything already mentioned):

• Star Frontiers - TSR's first real foray into the Sci-Fi genera, unless you count:
    • Gamma World
    • Alternity - TSR's second foray into Sci- Fi...or possibly the third, because around that time they also did:
    • Buck Rogers in the 25th century
    • Warhammer 40K
    • Pick a version of the Star Trek RPG
    • The Ring World RPG - based off of Niven's books, obviously.
    • The Dune RPG - based of of...duh!
    • The Aliens RPG - Be a Space Marine and try not to get your face hugged.
    • Pick a version of the Dr. Who RPG (FASA did it first)
    • Teenagers from Outter Space - if you want something more light hearted and silly
    • Albedo - Anthro's in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
    • Chuthonian Stars - CoC in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2018-06-22 at 09:27 PM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

d20 Re: Sci Fi RPG Suggestions?

From the stuff mentioned in the thread so far, I've had good experiences with:

- 3:16 Carnage Among the Stars - Simple & quick, surprisingly robust resolution mechanism, surprisingly deep metaplot.

- Shadowrun - Can be absolute hell to DM thanks to astral + cyberspace + meatspace combat going on in parallel, and due to the wonky dysfunction of the huge number of subsystems, but really fun when you homebrew a solid working set of mechanics. Some editions might need less homebrew to function; some might need a lot more.

- Eclipse Phase - Promised a lot, then delivered on it. Character creation is a lot more complicated than play, unless you swap morphs several times per session (which I think would be very unusual -- we never swapped morphs even once in most sessions).

- Paranoia - The computer is your friend. This game is fun if you've got players that don't take PvP personally, or if they do but for some reason you want to toss a nuclear hand grenade into your group dynamics. Fun is mandatory. Seriously you need a group who can embrace the insanity. Have you taken your medication today?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

The Cortex system has both Serenity and Firefly. Although buying either of them might be a challenge. As well as Battlestar Galatica.
    I can't help you with Serenity or Battlestar Galactica, but Firefly is easy to find. It's also at the very top of my list of games I've never played but want to.
    Last edited by JoeJ; 2018-06-25 at 11:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I've tallied up all the points for this thread, and consulted with the debate judges, and the verdict is clear: JoeJ wins the thread.

30. - Top - End - #30

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    I can't help you with Serenity of Battlestar Galactica, but Firefly is easy to find. It's also at the very top of my list of games I've never played but want to.
    You know, I'd pay cash money for a system that statted out 70s Buck Rogers with 70s Battlestar Galactica. So much shiny...