New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Q199

If a creature who lost racial HD because of level drain gains a level, can he take a class level or does he have to get his racial hd back?

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

A 199 Yes, he can take class levels if he wants to. This is the whole appeal of doing the wight thing.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

​Q200 What are the correct racial ability modifiers and skill bonuses for the Jermlaine in MM2
    Last edited by lylsyly; 2018-08-11 at 12:08 PM.
    Currently Playing: NICELA LASERIE (Neutral Good) Female Gray Elf Fire Souled Half Nymph Elven Generalist Wizard 20 /// PF Bard 1 / Paladin of Freedom 2 /PF Bard +17

AND .......

FERGUS MADROAR (Chaotic Good) Male Dwarf Half Earth Elemental

Cloistered Cleric (Hanseath) 5 / Divine Oracle 6 / Contemplative 9 /// Paladin of Freedom 20

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lylsyly View Post
    ​q200 what are the correct racial ability modifiers and skill bonuses for the jermlaine in mm2
    a 200

-8 str, +6 dex, -2 con, -2 int, +6 wis, -6 cha

edit: for some reason all the capitalized letters in my post were uncapitalized
    Last edited by OgresAreCute; 2018-08-11 at 12:38 PM.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

5. - Top - End - #455

Q201 Will the Expanded Knowledge feat (XPH p.46) Allow me to gain a 1st level power if I can only use 1st level powers? Or does it mean it is a waste for me to take?
    Currently Playing: NICELA LASERIE (Neutral Good) Female Gray Elf Fire Souled Half Nymph Elven Generalist Wizard 20 /// PF Bard 1 / Paladin of Freedom 2 /PF Bard +17

AND .......

Cloistered Cleric (Hanseath) 5 / Divine Oracle 6 / Contemplative 9 /// Paladin of Freedom 20

6. - Top - End - #456

Q201 Will the Expanded Knowledge feat (XPH p.46) Allow me to gain a 1st level power if I can only use 1st level powers? Or does it mean it is a waste for me to take?
    A201: By RAW, the feat is wasted, as there are no 0th-level psionic powers, so would have to choose from an empty list. No exception is listed for the situation you speak of. You could probably persuade a DM to let you get an extra 1st-level power, since that's hardly an overpowered benefit from the feat, but that is not technically allowed.

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised they didn't just make it have "prerequisite: can manifest 2nd level psionic powers."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Q202. How does exactly the Wall of Smoke spell places its effect? It does say [Quoted from the Spell Compendium] "A straight wall whose area is up to one 10-ft. square/level (S)". Does this mean you get 1 block per caster level, that you can place adjacent to each other like LEGO, always forming a wall made of 10-ft. cubes? Or that you can shape 10-ft. squares that are (5-ft. wide x 10 ft. tall x 10 ft. long) per caster level?

Q203. What does the (S) in wall spell entries (like the one I quoted in Q202) mean?
    Last edited by Yael; 2018-08-11 at 09:21 PM.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yael View Post
    Q202. How does exactly the Wall of Smoke spell places its effect? It does say [Quoted from the Spell Compendium] "A straight wall whose area is up to one 10-ft. square/level (S)". Does this mean you get 1 block per caster level, that you can place adjacent to each other like LEGO, always forming a wall made of 10-ft. cubes? Or that you can shape 10-ft. squares that are (5-ft. wide x 10 ft. tall x 10 ft. long) per caster level?
    Squares, not cubes.

Q203. What does the (S) in wall spell entries (like the one I quoted in Q202) mean?
    Shapeable.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-08-11 at 09:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #459

The walls have no thickness. They are 10ft wide, 10ft high, and an unknown thickness. You place them on the lines not in the squares. So if two creatures are right next to each other, you put the wall on the LINE in between them.

(S) means you can shape it but it needs to have a minimum dimension of 10ft.

10. - Top - End - #460

Q 204: Just Checking - Does the Hidden Talent feat (XPH 67) allow me to chose from Psion Discipline powers?

AND .......

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 204: Just Checking - Does the Hidden Talent feat (XPH 67) allow me to chose from Psion Discipline powers?
    A.204

Any 1st level power fRom any manifesting list. So, yes.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 205

Can a Good Cleric cast an Evil spell from a scroll?

13. - Top - End - #463

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSnake'sCha View Post
    Q 205

Can a Good Cleric cast an Evil spell from a scroll?
    A 205 Yes.

Activating a magic scroll in the usual way requires you only to have the scribed spell on your class list. Clerics all draw spells from the same class list, provided that they are not domain spells. So you should be able, as a Good cleric, to complete an Evil spell that has been scribed upon a magic scroll, provided that it does not belong to a domain that you don't have.

However, I advise you to consult your Phylactery of Faithfulness – or your dungeon master – before you perform this deed. If your deity judges that completing an Evil spell grossly violates your religious code of conduct, you may lose all your cleric features and need Atonement to get them back.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2018-08-14 at 12:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

Q 206:

Can a cleric of 5th level with a wisdom score of 12 in any way have a 3rd level slot open to expend for an ability that would require a 3rd level slot?
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q207
    What is the spell from the Wyrms of the North article in the WotC archives that puts a spellcaster's mind into a magic item.
    IIRC it turned the item effectively into an Intelligent Magic Item using the spellcaster's mind.

16. - Top - End - #466

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Q 206:

Can a cleric of 5th level with a wisdom score of 12 in any way have a 3rd level slot open to expend for an ability that would require a 3rd level slot?
    A 206

Yes. You get the spell slot from your class level. You can use that 3rd level slot to prepare a 2nd level or lower spell but not a 3rd level spell until you have at least 13 wisdom.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q207
    What is the spell from the Wyrms of the North article in the WotC archives that puts a spellcaster's mind into a magic item.
    IIRC it turned the item effectively into an Intelligent Magic Item using the spellcaster's mind.
    A.207 5th level psion power: Steelsteal
    Last edited by daremetoidareyo; 2018-08-15 at 03:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    A.207 5th level psion power: Steelsteal
    Sadly no, that's not the one I'm remembering. The one I'm thinking of literally crams a spellcaster's conciousness into a magic item.

Could have sworn it was in a Wyrms of the North article but I guess it could be somewhere else in the archives.

19. - Top - End - #469

Q208 By RAW - Dragonborn Dragonwrought Kobold with a Dragonspawn Template - Doable? or Not?

AND .......

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

A 208 Short answer: Yes.

Explanation if Needed/Desired: Dragonspawn is an Inherited Template (one that is part of the creature from its birth) in all but name, so it would be applied before the Dragonwrought feat (which changes the Kobold's creature type to Dragon). While some of the text implies Dragonborn was intended for Humanoid creatures, any creature type may undergo the Rite of Rebirth.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

21. - Top - End - #471

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    A 208 Short answer: Yes.

Explanation if Needed/Desired: Dragonspawn is an Inherited Template (one that is part of the creature from its birth) in all but name, so it would be applied before the Dragonwrought feat (which changes the Kobold's creature type to Dragon). While some of the text implies Dragonborn was intended for Humanoid creatures, any creature type may undergo the Rite of Rebirth.
    There are 2 major problems with this answer.
    1: Dragonspawn is an acquired template.
    Created through a hideous method that transforms humanoids into draconianlike creatures by fusing the mind and soul of the victim with the shard of a draconian's,
    They are "created" but also "transformed". The bit about "fusing the mind and soul" makes it more apparent that the creature being transformed is an already built creature (ie, at least level 1) however.
    2: Dragonborn lose ALL the fancy stuff you get from Dragonspawn. The only things you keep are the racial flight and ability modifiers. Everything else is stripped away by becoming a Dragonborn. So even if you COULD chain Dragonspawn to Dragonwrought to Dragonborn, Dragonborn would neuter most of the benefits of the first step.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

22. - Top - End - #472

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    There are 2 major problems with this answer.
    1: Dragonspawn is an acquired template. They are "created" but also "transformed". The bit about "fusing the mind and soul" makes it more apparent that the creature being transformed is an already built creature (ie, at least level 1) however.
    2: Dragonborn lose ALL the fancy stuff you get from Dragonspawn. The only things you keep are the racial flight and ability modifiers. Everything else is stripped away by becoming a Dragonborn. So even if you COULD chain Dragonspawn to Dragonwrought to Dragonborn, Dragonborn would neuter most of the benefits of the first step.
    I'm fairly sure it will work if you do it in this sequence:
    1. Dragonwrought Kobold. You lose the Humanoid type, which would normally prevent you from getting Dragonspawn. However...
    2. Add Dragonborn of Bahamut. No RAW requirement says you have to be Humanoid to undergo the rite of rebirth...but two bits come together. First, under Racial Traits, it says, "Dragonborn are humanoids with the dragonblood subtype and any other subtypes they had before undergoing the Rite of Rebirth." Then, under The Mechanics of Rebirth, it says, "Type, Subtype, and Race: You retain your original type and subtypes, gaining the dragonblood subtype." Therefore, the former indicates you gain the Humanoid type and the Dragonblood subtype, while the latter indicates you retain your original type and subtypes (which, for a Dragonwrought Kobold, is Dragon + whatever elemental subtype you have).
    3. Add the Dragonspawn template, which you now qualify for because you are Humanoid again.

Edit: Though I'm not sure you get a whole lot for this. Dragonspawn doesn't seem like it would stack well with Dragonborn. You basically get every Aspect from Dragonspawn, and they don't look like they stack? The darkvision wouldn't, anyway. Further, since it says "your type becomes Monstrous Humanoid" (emphasis added), you'd lose the only lingering benefit of Dragonwrought Kobold (the Dragon type). And if you were a White Dragonspawn, you'd only end up with a net +4 Dex, +4 Con, which...not bad, but certainly not that impressive for such an investment. Red, of course, would be best...but you're still getting (in effect) -4 Str and not much else from Kobold.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2018-08-18 at 02:42 AM.

23. - Top - End - #473

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    I'm fairly sure it will work if you do it in this sequence:
    1. Dragonwrought Kobold. You lose the Humanoid type, which would normally prevent you from getting Dragonspawn. However...
    2. Add Dragonborn of Bahamut. No RAW requirement says you have to be Humanoid to undergo the rite of rebirth...but two bits come together. First, under Racial Traits, it says, "Dragonborn are humanoids with the dragonblood subtype and any other subtypes they had before undergoing the Rite of Rebirth." Then, under The Mechanics of Rebirth, it says, "Type, Subtype, and Race: You retain your original type and subtypes, gaining the dragonblood subtype." Therefore, the former indicates you gain the Humanoid type and the Dragonblood subtype, while the latter indicates you retain your original type and subtypes (which, for a Dragonwrought Kobold, is Dragon + whatever elemental subtype you have).
    3. Add the Dragonspawn template, which you now qualify for because you are Humanoid again.

Edit: Though I'm not sure you get a whole lot for this. Dragonspawn doesn't seem like it would stack well with Dragonborn. You basically get every Aspect from Dragonspawn, and they don't look like they stack? The darkvision wouldn't, anyway. Further, since it says "your type becomes Monstrous Humanoid" (emphasis added), you'd lose the only lingering benefit of Dragonwrought Kobold (the Dragon type). And if you were a White Dragonspawn, you'd only end up with a net +4 Dex, +4 Con, which...not bad, but certainly not that impressive for such an investment. Red, of course, would be best...but you're still getting (in effect) -4 Str and not much else from Kobold.
    Except the sidebar for Dragonborn also says this:
    Type, Subtype, and Race: You retain your original type and subtypes, gaining the dragonblood subtype.
    The transformation has a number of poorly written aspects.
    Last edited by zergling.exe; 2018-08-18 at 08:47 AM.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

24. - Top - End - #474

Thank you for your responses, moving to a different thread.

AND .......

25. - Top - End - #475

Q209 can you apply multiple inherited templates? like say a half-dragon/half-fiend? if so how does that work..you become LA +7 native outsider dragon with both stat boosts and abilities?

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

A 209

Yes, as long as they can be applied one after the other. The type depends on the order of application. The last one wins, the others become augmented X subtypes.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q 210 Is a Sha'ir (Dragon Compendium) considered to be a spontaneous or prepared spellcaster for PrCs?
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2018-08-19 at 10:28 PM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Q 210 Is a Sha'ir (Dragon Compendium) considered to be a spontaneous or prepared spellcaster for PrCs?
    No, it is not.

29. - Top - End - #479

Q211 When determining initiator level for ToB classes, do racial hit dice count for 1/2 (like non-initiator class levels) or not at all?
    Contest Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ayesha: Gold, Junkyard Wars I
    The Last Warder: Silver, Junkyard Wars IV
    Princess Pufflebutt: Silver, Junkyard Wars VII
    Gren Beastclaws: Silver, Junkyard Wars VIII
    Mother Halfbreed: Silver, Iron Chef Home Cooking I

Vathoa Frostspeaker Kualavoaka: Gold, Junkyard Wars IX
    Sanna Blackfish: Bronze, Villainous Competition II
    Annabelle: Gold, Villainous Competition IV
    Nulara of the Evil Eye: Gold, Villainous Competition IX

30. - Top - End - #480

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    I don't know an official answer, but I'm pretty sure it technically qualifies as neither. It *doesn't* prepare spells, properly speaking, but it's also not a spontaneous caster.

I could see a DM ruling either way, frankly, but since a spell is a specific slot, it seems closer to a Wizard (AFAICT, it actually references Wizard in the writeup: "like a wizard's prepared spell"). RAW, though, you're neither.