New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 63

I've just realized that I may have had a misconception about the Domain feats:

Emphasis mine. I've always assumed the additional daily uses of the feat with turn/rebuke undead were converted on-the-fly, as with Divine feats. However, this line implies this is instead a definitive process chosen along the feat.

For example, if a cleric picks the Travel Devotion, he can gain one additional daily use for two turn/rebuke undead daily uses -- by permanently reducing his daily uses of turn/rebuke undead, from the even amount of his choice.

Am I reading it right?
    From the errata:

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    From the errata:

Very interesting.

That makes more sense; even without seeing the errata, I seriously doubt anybody ever played with my interpretation.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2018-06-22 at 10:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 64
    Is there any way to flank on your own other than the Clarion Commander feat?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Q 64
    Is there any way to flank on your own other than the Clarion Commander feat?
    Sure. You could be a Dvati, for example.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

A 064 additional

Here's some extra reading: [3.5] Flanking with myself

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q065: I need to turn an npc warrior ethereal. The only ways I can find of doing it would be a 17th level cleric or wizard casting etherealness, or a 55000 gp cloak. Can you provide any cheaper, easier alternatives? thanks
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Q065: I need to turn an npc warrior ethereal. The only ways I can find of doing it would be a 17th level cleric or wizard casting etherealness, or a 55000 gp cloak. Can you provide any cheaper, easier alternatives? thanks
    If the warrior is of an appropriate alignment, tabard of the disembodied (MIC 140) is only 6,000 gp. If the warrior is at least 12th level, then Shape Soulmeld (Phase Cloak) plus Open Lesser Chakra (Shoulders) could do the trick.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Q66

Do wizards receive a bonus cantrip slot for specializing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

A 66

Yes.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 67
    Dvati need to either have both of the pair take the action to cast or just have one take the action and have the other take no actions or the spell is ruined. In the case of a pair of Dvati with both spellcaster levels and Fiend of Possession, should one of them possess an object and animate it, would any action taken by the possessed object interrupt the spellcasting of the other twin? So far I'm seeing two arguments.

a) Yes because the Dvati is possessing the object and therefore any action taken by the object is the Dvati's

b) No because the action is to animate the object and the actions of an animated object are separate from a Fiend of Possession

Q 68
    Can a Fiend of Possession both Animate an object and make it a Magic item simultaneously?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

A 68 Yes, you can.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

12. - Top - End - #132

Q 69

I’ve realized the rules for mithral armor...

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon Master Guide
    Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations (for example, whether a barbarian can use her fast movement ability while wearing the armor or not). Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Item Compendium
    Treated as [medium/light] armor for the purpose of movement, proficiency, and other limitations.
    ... means a mithral full plate is treated as a medium armor in some circumstances, but as a heavy armor in others. I’m looking for a bit of clarification about those.

A: A mithral full plate requires just Armor Proficiency (medium), not Armor Proficiency (heavy) to be used without further malus, right?

B: Some non-magical modifications to armor during making have a price varying depending on the armor type – notably several [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] from Dragon #358, or the Susalian Chainweave from Complete Warrior. Since this about construction and not movement limitation, my guess is that a mithral full plate would still count as heavy armor for those prices, right?

C: Some feats apply their benefits "when you’re wearing heavy armor". Would the feats Heavy Armor Optimization, Greater Heavy Armor Optimization or Deflective Armor be usable with a mithral full plate?

D: Some other feats apply their benefits "when you’re wearing light or medium armor". Would a feat such as Guerilla Warrior be usable with a mithral full plate?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2018-06-25 at 08:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Q70
    Do you keep your natural armor when you become a dragonborn?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 69

A: A mithral full plate requires just Armor Proficiency (medium), not Armor Proficiency (heavy) to be used without further malus, right?

B: Some non-magical modifications to armor during making have a price varying depending on the armor type – notably several [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] from Dragon #358, or the Susalian Chainweave from Complete Warrior. Since this about construction and not movement limitation, my guess is that a mithral full plate would still count as heavy armor for those prices, right?

C: Some feats apply their benefits "when you’re wearing heavy armor". Would the feats Heavy Armor Optimization, Greater Heavy Armor Optimization or Deflective Armor be usable with a mithral full plate?

D: Some other feats apply their benefits "when you’re wearing light or medium armor". Would a feat such as Guerilla Warrior be usable with a mithral full plate?
    A 69 A Yes.

A 69 B Ask your DM. Having to pay extra gold might be considered a limitation.

A 69 C They would.

A 69 D They would.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    Q70
    Do you keep your natural armor when you become a dragonborn?
    Not if it was granted by your race.

16. - Top - End - #136

Q 71

The Midnight Dodge feat from Magic of Incarnum includes the mention "Midnight Dodge can be used in place of the Dodge feat to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other special ability."

This is usually an incentive to not take Dodge. However, I’ve realized that nothing prevent you from actually having both feats. In which case...

A: Both feats can be used in the same round to designate two different targets, gaining their respective dodge bonuses for each, or upon the same target (since Dodge bonuses stack), right? (This is actually how the Dodge Bonus class feature for the Swashbuckler already works along with the Dodge feat.)

B: If you have the Combat Defense feat (Players Handbook II) and maintain your combat focus, you can reassignate the target of the Dodge feat with an immediate action. Since both Midnight Dodge and Dodge can serve as prerequisite, you can reassignate the target of either feat, right? (Not both, of course, you only have one immediate action per round.)

C: On the other hand, if you have Combat Defense and at least three combat form feats, my guess is that the +1 dodge bonus can only apply to one of the two Dodge feats, not to both (especially since they can stack on the same target). Am I right in thinking that?

D: If you also have the Defensive Throw feat (Complete Warrior) and designate two separate targets with the two dodge feats, then I guess you trip either one that miss you this round. Now, could you trip both if both miss their attacks? (Considering Defensive Throw doesn’t include any limitation of uses per round, beyond the fact it uses up your attack of opportunities – and Combat Reflexes is a prerequisite.)

E: Finally... if you have both Dodge feats, Combat Defense, and Defensive Throw, and you are facing three opponents, can you first trip the two of them attacking first, as above, use Combat Defense to reassign one Dodge on the third as an immediate action, and trip him too if he misses (assuming you have three or more attacks of opportunity)?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 71

All of that looks right to me.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Q 71

The Midnight Dodge feat from Magic of Incarnum includes the mention "Midnight Dodge can be used in place of the Dodge feat to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other special ability."

This is usually an incentive to not take Dodge. However, I’ve realized that nothing prevent you from actually having both feats. In which case...

A: Both feats can be used in the same round to designate two different targets, gaining their respective dodge bonuses for each, or upon the same target (since Dodge bonuses stack), right? (This is actually how the Dodge Bonus class feature for the Swashbuckler already works along with the Dodge feat.)

B: If you have the Combat Defense feat (Players Handbook II) and maintain your combat focus, you can reassignate the target of the Dodge feat with an immediate action. Since both Midnight Dodge and Dodge can serve as prerequisite, you can reassignate the target of either feat, right? (Not both, of course, you only have one immediate action per round.)

C: On the other hand, if you have Combat Defense and at least three combat form feats, my guess is that the +1 dodge bonus can only apply to one of the two Dodge feats, not to both (especially since they can stack on the same target). Am I right in thinking that?

D: If you also have the Defensive Throw feat (Complete Warrior) and designate two separate targets with the two dodge feats, then I guess you trip either one that miss you this round. Now, could you trip both if both miss their attacks? (Considering Defensive Throw doesn’t include any limitation of uses per round, beyond the fact it uses up your attack of opportunities – and Combat Reflexes is a prerequisite.)

E: Finally... if you have both Dodge feats, Combat Defense, and Defensive Throw, and you are facing three opponents, can you first trip the two of them attacking first, as above, use Combat Defense to reassign one Dodge on the third as an immediate action, and trip him too if he misses (assuming you have three or more attacks of opportunity)?
    A. Yes.
    B–E. No. As written, Midnight Dodge (or Desert Wind Dodge, or Expeditious Dodge) only counts as Dodge for the purpose of qualifying for these effects, not for using them.

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    A. Yes.
    B–E. No. As written, Midnight Dodge (or Desert Wind Dodge, or Expeditious Dodge) only counts as Dodge for the purpose of qualifying for these effects, not for using them.
    Okay, I guess that's the correct RAW reading... which mean it falls straight into dysfunctional rule, since you can qualify for Combat Defense or Defensive Throw with one of those alternates to Dodge... but then you can't use these feats because you don't have Dodge.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-01-20 at 06:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Q 072

Template/class combo question: Say a Lupin has the Monster of Legend Template, which can grant casting as a 5th level Cleric. Lupins advance by class level, so it takes Cleric 1 as it's class.

Would it have an effective Cleric casting level of 6 (5 from the template, 1 from class levels)?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

A 72 6. Same as a monster like a fensir or solar who takes more levels in the racial casting they have.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 72 6. Same as a monster like a fensir or solar who takes more levels in the racial casting they have.
    That's what I thought, thanks. Seemed a little odd that a CR 3 creature could have cleric 6 casting, but I guess that's just a peculiarity of the CR system, especially with 3.0 material involved.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Q 73:
    Are weapons which deal only 1 point of damage, such as Tiny Gauntlets, still considered 'damage rolls' when they inflict damage, and thus capable of adding applicable bonuses, such as STR's '[modifier to] damage rolls when using melee weapons', despite the lack of any actual 'rolling' for the damage?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

A 73 Yes, they are.

Iron Chef Medals!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q74 Does the bullrush from Knockback trigger Domino Rush from Shocktrooper?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

A 74 Yes, it does.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #147

Q 75

The "Great Throw" feat (from Oriental Adventures), specifies that, on a successful trip attack, "you deal your normal unarmed strike damage to the opponent."*

However, since the damage is inflicted by the impact with the ground and not an actual unarmed strike, I get the feeling it cannot be classified as "weapon damage". In this case...

A: Can Great Throw causes a critical hit if the touch attack for the trip was a 20?

B: Can sneak attack damage (or other precision damage) be added to the effect of a Great Throw?

C: Would any Damage Reduction apply against this impact?

D: Would the Anti-Impact armor property (from Complete Warrior) apply to this damage?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 76

As a Druid3/Wizard3/Mystic Theurge 8, if I cast Tenser's Transformation directly on my animal companion (AFAIK, Share Spells makes it possible), does the animal use my character level (14) or its' own HD (3, because it's a hawk) to determine the spell's effects on the animal companion?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-06-28 at 09:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q 76

As a Druid3/Wizard3/Mystic Theurge 8, if I cast Tenser's Transformation directly on my animal companion (AFAIK, Share Spells makes it possible), does the animal use my character level (14) or its' own HD (3, because it's a hawk) to determine the spell's effects on the animal companion?

A 76

Your character level.
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Familiar Basics: Use the basic statistics for a creature of the familiar’s kind, but make the following changes:

Hit Dice: For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher.

Hit Points: The familiar has one-half the master’s total hit points (not including temporary hit points), rounded down, regardless of its actual Hit Dice.
    Q 77
    What's the name of the feat that allows for one to use a spell slot to fuel a wand (essentially turning wands into cheaper knowstones)?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

A 75

A. Yes.

B. Most likely, but it seems like an "ask your DM" area.

C. Yes.

D. Again, ask your DM. There's an argument that it should count, but it also may not.

A 76

Your character level.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.