New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Bull Rush and Trip Op

I want to make one blender of a bull rusher.
    Using the Spiked Chain, and the feat combo of Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Knockback, Improved Trip, Shock Trooper.

I'm not sure of all the methods of improving bull rush and trip, but I figured I'd start with some basics.
    Custom Items of Bull Rush and Trip
    Marshal-Arts of War and Motivate Strength, although is their a way to get 2 active at once?
    Soulmeld that boosts strength checks
    ???
    Profit

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Bull Rush and Trip Op

Custom items are generally not "the basics," as whether they exist is 100% DM fiat. I don't even think there are pricing guides for bonuses to combat maneuvers, which makes this completely arbitrary instead of only mostly. Fortunately, Knockback pretty much gets you 80% of the way there, and then there are soulmelds and some items in the MIC that will take you the other 20%.

Otherwise, look up dungeoncrasher builds. You can make a frustrating controller if you have Combat Reflexes, large size, and thicket of blades.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2018-06-20 at 07:59 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cartejos View Post
    I want to make one blender of a bull rusher.
    Using the Spiked Chain, and the feat combo of Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Knockback, Improved Trip, Shock Trooper.

I'm not sure of all the methods of improving bull rush and trip, but I figured I'd start with some basics.
    Custom Items of Bull Rush and Trip
    Marshal-Arts of War and Motivate Strength, although is their a way to get 2 active at once?
    Soulmeld that boosts strength checks
    ???
    Profit
    Obligatory Flaming Homer link.

You can pack in most of what you need into the first 6 levels:

Race: Human
    1) Barbarian 1. Spirit Lion Totem -> Pounce. Whirling Frenzy ACF. Feat: Power Attack. Human: EWP.
    2) Barbarian 2. Wolf Totem -> Improved Trip.
    3) Fighter 1. Feat: Knock-Down. Bonus: Improved Bull Rush.
    4) Fighter 2. Bonus: Power Lunge (Ghostwalk).
    5) Fighter 3.
    6) Fighter 4. Feat: Leap Attack. Bonus: Shock Trooper.

After that, it's mostly gravy. You can throw Marshall on there, or maybe Totemist (picking up Thunderstep Boots via Shape Soulmeld feat). As far as multiple auras, a Marshall can have his minor and major aura active at the same time. I'm not sure if there's a way to have two minor auras active at the same time (maybe with a Dvati?). If you want a third aura, you can pick up Draconic Aura as a feat (Dragon Magic pp. 16-17) or dip into Dragon Shaman, Dragonfire Adept, or Dragon Lord. If you want a second draconic aura (four total), there's also a Double Draconic Aura feat (same book).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Add Rampaging Bull Rush and Knock-Down for checks galore. And Dungeoncrasher is of course obligatory. As mentioned, Incarnum has some of the best options for improving Strength-checks in addition to Marshal, so look there lest you'd rather just pump your actual strength skyhigh with Polymorph, Consumptive Field, Fuse Arms, Bite of the WereX, etc.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Look up Tripping 101, a guide to trip builds. There are a couple items that give bonuses to opposed checks, opposed strength checks and tripping/bullrushing specifically. Being a Large race like Half-ogre or Half-minotaur or having the Jotunbrud feat helps a LOT. There are some cool maneuvers in the Tome of Battle, along with good stances that give bonuses to opposed checks.

Other than that, Barbarian is always a good pick thanks to Whirling Frenzy, free Imp Trip and Pounce ACFs.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I am a big fan of Goliath + Mountain Rage + Knock Back. Excellent battlefield control for a mundane.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

It's fairly feat intensive, and Fighter is an obvious choice due to the powerful Dungeoncrasher ACF in Dungeonscape. Be sure to include Zhentarim Soldier and Dead Levels class features. Maybe even trade Ride for Tumble as a class skill if you'll be in light armor.

Goliath (RoS) gets you the size requirement in Powerful Build for only a +1 LA. Half-Ogre (RoD) is actually large size at a +2 LA. The Half-Minotaur template (Dragon 313) is only +1 LA but it's considered overpowered and may not be allowed. In any case plan to buy off your level adjustment.

Take two flaws (more here) if possible for two extra feats starting out.

I'd go Fighter 9/ Warblade 10/ Fighter 1, with the above Fighter variants/ACFs, and your Fighter 10 bonus feat at 20th level can be Weapon Supremacy in PH2. Otherwise go Fighter 6 or 9/ War Hulk 10/ whatever else.