New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    A326
    The bonus actions granted by the class are strictly attacks. You could replace one of your attacks from extra attack and still use the bonus action for Martial Arts/Flurry though. (Not both because the bonus actions require you to make an attack with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon
    R326 The bonus actions from martial arts and flurry of blows can only be used to make unarmed attacks, this is true. However, using the attack action to only make strength(athletics) checks does not disallow you from using flurry of blows, only martial arts.
    Last edited by viaFAMILIAR; 2019-06-30 at 05:02 PM.
    "That 'fluff', is RAW"

2. - Top - End - #962
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Q329 Do familiars count as "another enemy of the target" for the purposes of granting a rogue's sneak attack? Would it also be true if the familiar was mounted on the rogue?
    Last edited by viaFAMILIAR; 2019-07-01 at 12:36 PM.
    "That 'fluff', is RAW"

3. - Top - End - #963
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by viaRAILGUN View Post
    Q329 Do familiars count as "another enemy of the target" for the purposes of granting a rogue's sneak attack? Would it also be true if the familiar was mounted on the rogue?
    A329: I think both parts of your question are going to be up to the DM at your table.

A familiar is an extension of their master, and therefore are not to be considered a default "enemy" of whomever the Rogue is currently attacking. Generally speaking they probably are and SA will work, but RAW doesn't say one way or another so "ask your dm"...

Pro Tip: Before asking your DM if having the Rogue be a mount for the familiar so there's always "another enemy within 5 feet" so SA will always process be sure and wear plate mail.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Troll in the Playground

A 329: RAW is yes. It's an allied creature and thus an opponent of your foe. It doesn't have to be attacking. The fact it can assist an ally (whether it does or not) should remove any ambiguity. Your DM always had final say as has been pointed out but that is the RAW and I've yet to see a DM rule differently.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2019-07-01 at 01:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #965

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    A 329: RAW is yes. It's an allied creature and thus an opponent of your foe. It doesn't have to be attacking. The fact it can assist an ally (whether it does or not) should remove any ambiguity. Your DM always had final say as has been pointed out but that is the RAW and I've yet to see a DM rule differently.
    R329: The question was worded “familiars” not “my familiar”. Hence my answer was carefully worded to answer the question as written.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-07-01 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Change from singular to plural to exactly match the question.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    R329: The question was worded “familiars” not “my familiar”. Hence my answer was carefully worded to answer the question as written.
    It seemed obvious they meant theirs or an allied familiar. But if not then the RAW answer isn't "ask your DM". It's "only if the familiar belongs to a foe of the target".
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

7. - Top - End - #967
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q330a The spell Holy Weapon from Xanathar's Guide specifies as its target "a weapon you can touch". Is this weapon required to be one that you wield, or can it be any weapon wielded by any combatant you have access to?

Q330b As a followup, the second paragraph of Holy Weapon states that "As a bonus action on your turn, you can dismiss this spell and cause the weapon to emit a burst of radiance. Each creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you must make a Constitution saving throw..." Does this 30-foot range surrounding you apply regardless of whether you bear the holy weapon, or does it appear from the weapon's location if it's held by another combatant?
    Last edited by RedzoneX; 2019-07-01 at 05:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedzoneX View Post
    Q330a The spell Holy Weapon from Xanathar's Guide specifies as its target "a weapon you can touch". Is this weapon required to be one that you wield, or can it be any weapon wielded by any combatant you have access to?

Q330b As a followup, the second paragraph of Holy Weapon states that "As a bonus action on your turn, you can dismiss this spell and cause the weapon to emit a burst of radiance. Each creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you must make a Constitution saving throw..." Does this 30-foot range surrounding you apply regardless of whether you bear the holy weapon, or does it appear from the weapon's location if it's held by another combatant?
    A330a: Yes, the spell can be cast on a weapon you are not wielding.

A330b: For now, RAW, yes.. There is a typo that states that YOU are the source of the burst, but the burst is always supposed to originate from the weapon. While RAW, YOU are the source of the burst, it is expected to be fixed in a future errata to explicitly state that the burst comes from the weapon: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/...21831517650944
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-07-02 at 10:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

9. - Top - End - #969
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q331

For spell area of effects, a point of origin is frequently referenced. I have read some say that the PoO to be an intersection only (when using a grid). I couldn’t find this in the PHB, XGtE, or the Sage Advice.

What is the rule here? Center of a grid square, corner, any of the above?
    Emongnome

10. - Top - End - #970

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emongnome777 View Post
    Q331

For spell area of effects, a point of origin is frequently referenced. I have read some say that the PoO to be an intersection only (when using a grid). I couldn’t find this in the PHB, XGtE, or the Sage Advice.

What is the rule here? Center of a grid square, corner, any of the above?
    A331 There's a short blurb on this in XGtE P.86
    Choose an intersection of squares as the point of origin of an area of effect, then follow the rules for that kind of area as normal (see the "Areas of Effect" section in chapter 10 of the Player's Handbook). If an area of effect is circular and covers at least half a square, it affects that square.
    So that may be what they're referencing. That page mentions that similar rules are in the DMG, but I don't know that book as well.

Beware: sometimes the origin is the TARGET, such as Ice Knife, which if in the "Center" of a square may not actually affect as many squares as you may expect, due to how circles and squares areas interact. Hint: it hits the square the target is in, and NOTHING else because of how circles and squares interact, and the 5ft range. But it WILL hit with the template method, and (maybe) the token method, all mentioned in XGtE.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Pixie in the Playground

Q332 - Does the feat flames of phlegethos allow you to reroll the ones you roll on the d4 retaliation it gives you?

Flames of Phlegethos - When you roll fire damage for a spell you cast, you can reroll any roll of 1 on the fire damage dice, but you must use the new roll, even if it is another 1. Whenever you cast a spell that deals fire damage, you can cause flames to wreathe you until the end of your next turn...While the flames are present, any creature within 5 feet of you that hits you with a melee attack takes 1d4 fire damage.
    Q333 Follow up question. For the spell Dragon's Breath, you only get the flame wreathing you when you first cast it using the bonus action, not on each subsequent damage proc correct?

Dragon's Breath - Casting time 1 bonus action...Until the spell ends, the target can use an action to exhale energy of the chosen type in a 15' cone.
    If it's not on the internet, it doesn't exist. However, just because it is on the internet, doesn't mean that it DOES exists.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, where did you start yours?
    Characters started in the middle of a prison break (their own, of course). The paladin of the group was merely riding his horse nearby as a number of dirty vagrants asked him for help.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iliumin View Post
    Q332 - Does the feat flames of phlegethos allow you to reroll the ones you roll on the d4 retaliation it gives you?

Q333 Follow up question. For the spell Dragon's Breath, you only get the flame wreathing you when you first cast it using the bonus action, not on each subsequent damage proc correct?
    A332 No, because the flames wreathing you aren't a spell.

A333 The third bullet point stars "Whenever you cast a spell", so yes they would only happen when the spell is cast.

13. - Top - End - #973

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Emongnome777 View Post
    Q331 [...] I have read some say that the PoO to be an intersection only (when using a grid). I couldn’t find this in the PHB, XGtE, or the Sage Advice. What is the rule here? Center of a grid square, corner, any of the above?
    A331 The rules, that you can find in the DMG starting from page 249 under the headers "Adjudicating Areas of Effect" for generic non-grid adjudication aid and under "Using miniatures" for grid-play, call, for grids specifically, that targeting of the PoO is to be made at the intersection between squares or hexes. Essentially, the corner.

This however is just one of the possible ways to adjudicate and other material expands on this. Xanathar references the DMG rule and provides different ways to adjudicate the situations (starting from page 86). Specific spells might call for different rules althogether (like, for example, spells that emit from a creature.)

Edit: just for reference, next question is Q334
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2019-07-03 at 04:27 AM.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Q334.

Check me on this hypothetical situation. I have the Mobile feat. I am mounted and controlling the mount. My mount moves up to an enemy. I attack. My mount takes the Dodge action, and uses remaining movement to move away. This provokes an Attack of Opportunity. By PHB 198, the AoO should be able to target me or the mount. (Since the mount Dodged, presumably the enemy might want to target me instead of the mount.

My reading of Mobile says that an enemy can still target me; just that I don't provoke AoO's.

Q334A: Does the movement of a mount count for provoking an AoO in this situation, where the rider would not?
    Q334B: Can the Mobile rider be targeted by that AoO?

I'm thinking that both answers are yes.
    Last edited by FrancisBean; 2019-07-04 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Formatting nitpicks

15. - Top - End - #975
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q335: Do artificers prepare spells each day choosing from the entire artificer spell list (of the appropriate level), or do they have a "spellbook" or some other sublist of known spells to choose from? In other words, do they prepare spells like a cleric, or like a wizard?

16. - Top - End - #976
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisBean View Post
    Q334.

Check me on this hypothetical situation. I have the Mobile feat. I am mounted and controlling the mount. My mount moves up to an enemy. I attack. My mount takes the Dodge action, and uses remaining movement to move away. This provokes an Attack of Opportunity. By PHB 198, the AoO should be able to target me or the mount. (Since the mount Dodged, presumably the enemy might want to target me instead of the mount.

My reading of Mobile says that an enemy can still target me; just that I don't provoke AoO's.

Q334A: Does the movement of a mount count for provoking an AoO in this situation, where the rider would not?
    Q334B: Can the Mobile rider be targeted by that AoO?

I'm thinking that both answers are yes.
    A334 Your interpretation is correct. The third bullet point of Mobile doesn't apply because the mount is provoking opportunity attack, not you, and per the rules on mounted combat the attacker can choose to target you or your mount.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Spamalot in the Playground

Q336: If you are forced to cast a spell that requires concentration to maintain (e.g. a Wild Magic Sorcerer that lands on confusion on the Surge table), are you forced to concentrate on that spell, or can you choose not to concentrate and thus end it right away? If so, do you suffer the initial round's worth of effects? Do your allies if you end concentration during your turn, but before theirs?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Q336: If you are forced to cast a spell that requires concentration to maintain (e.g. a Wild Magic Sorcerer that lands on confusion on the Surge table), are you forced to concentrate on that spell, or can you choose not to concentrate and thus end it right away? If so, do you suffer the initial round's worth of effects? Do your allies if you end concentration during your turn, but before theirs?
    A337: To the best of my knowledge, dropping concentration is a non-action and can be done at any time (your turn or not).

You/allies suffer the initial effects if and only if it has an effect that occurs when the spell happens (rather than "at the start of a target's turn"). In the case of confusion, you would have to make the save, but since no turns began while the spell was in effect, nothing happens.

However, you would lose concentration on any of your own spells, including the one you were trying to cast if it requires concentration, thus ending them.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Troll in the Playground

Q336: Spells cast by a wild magic surge don't require concentration and usually the sorcerer has no control over it unless the description says otherwise. Imagine if he could just immediately drop concentration on the Polymorph spell turning him into a sheep. Would make the surge rather pointless.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

20. - Top - End - #980

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q336: Spells cast by a wild magic surge don't require concentration and usually the sorcerer has no control over it unless the description says otherwise. Imagine if he could just immediately drop concentration on the Polymorph spell turning him into a sheep. Would make the surge rather pointless.
    Could you point to the page reference for this? Not trying to be difficult, but the default rule is that you can cease concentration on any spell you cast at any time. And if it truly is the Surge "concentrating" on the spell and not you, how long does it last?
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #981

WolfInSheepsClothing

Could you point to the page reference for this? Not trying to be difficult, but the default rule is that you can cease concentration on any spell you cast at any time. And if it truly is the Surge "concentrating" on the spell and not you, how long does it last?
    Q336 cont. It's in the description of the "Wild Magic - Wild Magic Surge" feature. If you happen to have an older printing, you can find the updated wording in the errata.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Troll in the Playground

A336 cont.
    ... how long does it last?
    It's not that the wild surge is doing the concentrating. Concentration just doesn't apply. It lasts however long the spell would normally last. For instance, Confusion lasts a minute but ends on a specific target when it makes it's save. It gets one at the end of each turn.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2019-07-08 at 09:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #983

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolarBear View Post
    Q336 cont. It's in the description of the "Wild Magic - Wild Magic Surge" feature. If you happen to have an older printing, you can find the updated wording in the errata.
    The errata is the piece of the puzzle I was missing - thanks!
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #984
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q337: If the Wish spell is used to duplicate the effects of a spell lower than 8th level (say, Fireball), can the spell be upcast to its 8th level effect, or is it limited to its base spell level's effect?

Q338: I am a Sorcerer who casts Wish to duplicate the effects of a spell that targets one and only one creature (say, Finger of Death). Can I then spend a sufficient number of sorcery points to Twin the resulting spell?

25. - Top - End - #985
    Orc in the Playground

Q337: If the Wish spell is used to duplicate the effects of a spell lower than 8th level (say, Fireball), can the spell be upcast to its 8th level effect, or is it limited to its base spell level's effect?
    A337According to Jeremy Crawford, yes.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q338: I am a Sorcerer who casts Wish to duplicate the effects of a spell that targets one and only one creature (say, Finger of Death). Can I then spend a sufficient number of sorcery points to Twin the resulting spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    A337According to Jeremy Crawford, yes.
    It's a little more complicated than just that, though. Crawford's rulings aren't binding, however the Sage Advice Compendium may be. And in in the Sage Advice Compendium:

"What level is a spell if you cast it without a spell slot?

Such a spell is cast at its lowest possible level, which is the level that appears near the top of its description. Unless you have a special ability that says otherwise, the only way to increase the level of a spell is to expend a higher-level spell slot when you cast it. (p 13)"

It all depends on what you consider "RAW".
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    It's a little more complicated than just that, though. Crawford's rulings aren't binding, however the Sage Advice Compendium may be. And in in the Sage Advice Compendium:

"What level is a spell if you cast it without a spell slot?

Such a spell is cast at its lowest possible level, which is the level that appears near the top of its description. Unless you have a special ability that says otherwise, the only way to increase the level of a spell is to expend a higher-level spell slot when you cast it. (p 13)"

It all depends on what you consider "RAW".
    R337 But "the spell" in this case is wish, which is a 9th level spell. In essence, you're casting wish, and it generates the effect of another spell. It is not actually casting that spell. As a result, the above does not apply IMO. It's reasonable that the duplicated effect is always scaled as if cast from a 9th level slot. It's not mandated by RAW, but it's a very reasonable interpretation that does not contradict anything.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

R 337:

Whether it gives you the effect of a 9th-level slot is debatable, but it can certainly give you the effect of an 8th-level slot. A Fireball cast from an 8th-level slot is an 8th-level spell, and its effect is a ball of fire that does 13d6 damage. Wish can duplicate the effects of an 8th-level spell. Therefore, it can give you the effects of an 8th-level Fireball, namely, a ball of fire that does 13d6 damage.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

Q339: Would Detect Magic be able to detect the use of an Anti-Magic Field?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Q340 does the target of hex know they've been cursed?
    "That 'fluff', is RAW"