New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1521
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Q372

The spell says attacks with the smaller weapon do less damage. The bolt is ammo. The weapon is the crossbow which is still small, so the dmg is reduced.

The shield thing could work but Shields aren't big enough to block most tunnels. It would have to be a pretty small tunnel. And your DM will have to decide how well it blocks the tunnel, e.g. what DC athletic check to move it.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q362 When a creature takes 'overflow' damage that breaks Wildhsape or Polymorph, how do immunities, resistances, and vulnerabilities work?

Example A: A salamander is polymorphed into crab and hit with fireball for 30 damage. Is the salamander immune to the overflow damage?

Example B: A commoner is polymorphed into a skeleton* and takes 30 bludgeoning damage. Is the overflow damage still doubled by the skeleton's vulnerability to bludgeoning damage?

*I know polymorph can't turn a creature into a skeleton, I was just reaching for some creature that had a vulnerability.

Q363 Are there any beasts that have a damage vulnerability?
    Anybody care to take another crack at this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 373

Can a Rogue perform a ranged sneak attack past a weapon's first range assuming he's not at Disadvantage?

I could swear seeing a rule against it somewhere, but can't find it, so I might be imagining it

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 373

Can a Rogue perform a ranged sneak attack past a weapon's first range assuming he's not at Disadvantage?

I could swear seeing a rule against it somewhere, but can't find it, so I might be imagining it
    A 373 That depends on exactly how you consider the rule on Sneak Attack.

Is it
    a) if you have no conditions imposing disadvantage (even if canceled out)

OR

a) if you are not rolling the check at disadvantage (either no disadvantage at all or canceled out).

Case A, no it doesn't work.
    Case B, you're fine.

I personally read it as case B. But I've heard people argue for case A.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 373

A373: Yes he can.

Sneak Attack (in part)
    “You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.”

Note that doesn't say anything about having had disadvantage on the role, so it applies to the role being made.

He can pop out from being hidden, have the sharpshooter feat, or any other method of gaining advantage on the attack role to cancel out the disadvantage from using the long range of the weapon.

Do note that the other parts must also be valid: Another enemy within five feet and that creature can't be incapacitated.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Titan in the Playground

Re 373:

Having both advantage and disadvantage is not the same thing as having neither (even though, in both cases, you roll only one die). If you have both advantage and disadvantage, and some other condition arises that would give you advantage or disadvantage, that new condition doesn't change anything. But if you have neither, then that new condition would change things. From this, we conclude that canceling advantage and disadvantage is not the same as not having either: You still have both. And so a rogue attacking a blinded foe at long range still has disadvantage, and thus still cannot sneak attack.

On the other hand, there are other ways to attack at long range without any disadvantage at all. If you have the Sharpshooter feat, then long range does not impose disadvantage.
    Last edited by Chronos; 2019-09-04 at 05:01 PM.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

7. - Top - End - #1087

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Re 373:

Having both advantage and disadvantage is not the same thing as having neither (even though, in both cases, you roll only one die). If you have both advantage and disadvantage, and some other condition arises that would give you advantage or disadvantage, that new condition doesn't change anything. But if you have neither, then that new condition would change things. From this, we conclude that canceling advantage and disadvantage is not the same as not having either: You still have both. And so a rogue attacking a blinded foe at long range still has disadvantage, and thus still cannot sneak attack.

On the other hand, there are other ways to attack at long range without any disadvantage at all. If you have the Sharpshooter feat, then long range does not impose disadvantage.
    R373: Nope. I quoted the RAW, you’re drawing conclusions.

Here’s another quote, “If circumstances cause a roll to have both advantage and disadvantage, you are considered to have neither of them, and you roll one d20.”

So RAW you do not, “still have both”.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

This leads to a contradiction, then, if you have advantage and disadvantage which cancel out, and then something else gives you advantage.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    This leads to a contradiction, then, if you have advantage and disadvantage which cancel out, and then something else gives you advantage.
    No contradiction. Any number of sources of advantage cancel any number of sources of disadvantage, and vice versa. You don't compare two sources, cancel them, and then continue to calculate other sources. You do all of them at once. A single source of advantage cancels an unlimited number of sources of disadvantage.

10. - Top - End - #1090

BarbarianGuy

Q374 I actually just remembered something that came up in a session awhile back: a Cambion used Fiendish Charm on the barbarian, so the wizard dispelled it. I said that it wasn't a spell, but he said that you can dispel rifts, so it doesn't have to be a spell. I ended up ruling it that the barbarian got to reroll the save with advantage (probably would've given a third chance, since it was a third level spell, but the barbarian got it on the second roll), but what was the official RAW answer?
    Last edited by rlc; 2019-09-06 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added question number to better fit thread format
    I usually post from my phone, so please excuse any horrendous typos.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    [to somebody getting upset over somebody else's house rule] Maybe you should take a break, you're getting rather worked up over magic elf games.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by rlc View Post
    Q 374I actually just remembered something that came up in a session awhile back: a Cambion used Fiendish Charm on the barbarian, so the wizard dispelled it. I said that it wasn't a spell, but he said that you can dispel rifts, so it doesn't have to be a spell. I ended up ruling it that the barbarian got to reroll the save with advantage (probably would've given a third chance, since it was a third level spell, but the barbarian got it on the second roll), but what was the official RAW answer?
    A 374
    Fiendish Charm does not use a spell slot, say it's a spell, say it's magical, or come from a magic item, so it is not susceptible to dispel magic. Dispel magic has no effect.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    A 374
    Fiendish Charm does not use a spell slot, say it's a spell, say it's magical, or come from a magic item, so it is not susceptible to dispel magic. Dispel magic has no effect.
    R374

This is the checklist you should go through to determine if the game considers something "magical" for the purpose of things like antimagic field, as explained in the Sage Advice Compendium.

But the case of dispel magic is simpler than that, as it only affects spells. And indeed, Fiendish Charm is not a spell.

he said that you can dispel rifts
    What was he referring to, exactly?
    Last edited by Millstone85; 2019-09-06 at 01:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1093

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    A 374
    So my original ruling was correct then. I was kind of going with a lot of rule of cool stuff, but I figured I'd ask, just out of curiosity. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    R374
    What was he referring to, exactly?
    I'm not sure, exactly. I'm guessing it was either from another campaign he was in, or something from Critical Role, since he said he watches that a lot. He says he's learning a lot about the game from it, but he seems to say a lot of things that aren't actually RAW. I'm mostly fine with things not being perfect, but there have been some head scratchers.
    Last edited by rlc; 2019-09-06 at 01:47 PM.
    I usually post from my phone, so please excuse any horrendous typos.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    [to somebody getting upset over somebody else's house rule] Maybe you should take a break, you're getting rather worked up over magic elf games.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not sure, exactly.
    If it turns out there is in fact a rule, somewhere, that says a rift can be closed with dispel magic, it will have to be put in the context of D&D being a game of exceptions and special cases. The general rule remains that only spells are affected.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 375
    If a wizard with a 20 intelligence takes a feat that would normally increase his intelligence, but can't because of the limit of 20, can that player apply the increase point to wisdom or charisma?

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by chevyboys View Post
    Q 375
    If a wizard with a 20 intelligence takes a feat that would normally increase his intelligence, but can't because of the limit of 20, can that player apply the increase point to wisdom or charisma?
    A375 by RAW, no. The point is lost.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Pixie in the Playground

New here, don't know for sure it hasn't been asked yet but...
    Q376
    At what level do you cast innate spells like the Yuan-Ti pureblood's version of Animal Friendship? It states that: 'You can cast animal friendship an unlimited number of times with this trait, but you can target only snakes with it.' But nowhere does it state what level you cast it at. Is there any RAW clarification of that?

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Ettin in the Playground

A376 I believe the Sage Advice Compendium has the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by SAC v2.3 p13
    What level is a spell if you cast it without a spell slot? Such a spell is cast at its lowest possible level, which is the level that appears near the top of its description.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 377

Can Glyph of Warding be used to cast any summoning spells?

The text of the spell says "The spell [stored in Glyph of Warding] must target a single creature or an area."

However, it also mentions that, "If the spell summons hostile creatures or creates harmful objects or traps, they appear as close as possible to the intruder and attack it," seemingly indicating that it can be used to summon.

No summoning spell currently in the game targets a single creature, and no summoning spell lists an area in the range/area section. Conjure Elemental instructs the career to "choose an area of air, earth, fire, or water that fills a 10-foot cube within range," but it does so only within the body of the spell. Most other summoning spells indicate that summoned creatures "appear in unoccupied spaces that you can see within range," but give no indication that these unoccupied spaces are targeted.

Q 378

Can Wall of Force be cast via a Glyph of Warding? (note that any requirement for a spell cast through GoW to be harmful has been errataed away)

I wouldn't have considered this a possibility, but given that GoW is apparently intended to be able to hold summoning spells, I think Wall of Force may also be a valid option. Like Conjure Elemental, it has no area given in the Range/Area section, but the body of the spell defines an area.
    Last edited by honeybunch; 2019-09-10 at 06:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Pixie in the Playground

Q379
    Which spell would win, Sunburst or Maddening Darkness? Sunburst says that it removes all Darkness, magical or not, in its area, while MD says that all spells of 8th level or lower fail to illuminate the area.
    Last edited by Wyverntamer; 2019-09-10 at 03:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1101

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by honeybunch View Post
    Q 377

Can Glyph of Warding be used to cast any summoning spells?

The text of the spell says "The spell [stored in Glyph of Warding] must target a single creature or an area."

However, it also mentions that, "If the spell summons hostile creatures or creates harmful objects or traps, they appear as close as possible to the intruder and attack it," seemingly indicating that it can be used to summon.

No summoning spell currently in the game targets a single creature, and no summoning spell lists an area in the range/area section. Conjure Elemental instructs the career to "choose an area of air, earth, fire, or water that fills a 10-foot cube within range," but it does so only within the body of the spell. Most other summoning spells indicate that summoned creatures "appear in unoccupied spaces that you can see within range," but give no indication that these unoccupied spaces are targeted.

Q 378

Can Wall of Force be cast via a Glyph of Warding? (note that any requirement for a spell cast through GoW to be harmful has been errataed away)

I wouldn't have considered this a possibility, but given that GoW is apparently intended to be able to hold summoning spells, I think Wall of Force may also be a valid option. Like Conjure Elemental, it has no area given in the Range/Area section, but the body of the spell defines an area.
    A377: Yes. As per the text you quoted any conjuration spell has the creature(s) brought forth as close as possible to the target and the creature(s) attack said target.

A378: From the spell description, "You can store a prepared spell of 3rd level or lower in the glyph by casting it as part of creating the glyph." and, "When the glyph is triggered, the stored spell is cast."

Therefore when the GoW is cast at a higher level to include WoF the caster 'pre-determines' the size and shape of the wall.

22. - Top - End - #1102

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wyverntamer View Post
    Q379
    Which spell would win, Sunburst or Maddening Darkness? Sunburst says that it removes all Darkness, magical or not, in its area, while MD says that all spells of 8th level or lower fail to illuminate the area.
    A379: Sunburst by virtue of the text that states it dispels any darkness created by a spell. That would mean that Maddening Darkness would be dispelled if even a millimeter of Sunburst interacted with it.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 380
    The cantrip magic stone specifies that hurling the pebbles is a spell attack Now, as far as I understand it, this is true even if a sling is being used to attack with the pebbles. Am I right?

If so, does anyone get proficiency with this spell attack, aside for my character who I assume gets it? Will my group's fighter for example add his proficiency bonus to that attack? What about someone who can cast spells? Is it any different for them? Will they get to add their proficiency bonus because they can do spell attacks already? Maybe only those who have picked the cantrip or perhaps have it on their spell list?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Corran; 2019-09-12 at 11:15 PM.
    Hacks!

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Q 380
    The cantrip magic stone specifies that hurling the pebbles is a spell attack Now, as far as I understand it, this is true even if a sling is being used to attack with the pebbles. Am I right?

If so, does anyone get proficiency with this spell attack, aside for my character who I assume gets it? Will my group's fighter for example add his proficiency bonus to that attack? What about someone who can cast spells? Is it any different for them? Will they get to add their proficiency bonus because they can do spell attacks already? Maybe only those who have picked the cantrip or perhaps have it on their spell list?

Thanks in advance.
    Tentative A 380.

I think I read about this before, that it is indeed a spell attack now, even if shot with a sling. And that everyone who is capable of throwing or shooting the pebbles is intended to add their proficiency bonus and your spellcasting modifier to the roll to hit.

Tentative, because I'm not entirely sure where I read it. But FWIW, that's how I've interpreted it so far, and we've had zero complications or conflicts.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2019-09-13 at 12:50 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

25. - Top - End - #1105

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Q 380

Thanks in advance.
    A 380: Proficiency Bonus. You add your proficiency bonus to your attack roll when you attack using a weapon with which you have proficiency, as well as when you attack with a spell.

That’s the RAW and there’s no text that states that you must be a spell caster to use your proficiency bonus when you attack with a spell.

So it’s: Caster’s Spellcasting Ability Modifier + Attacker’s Proficiency Bonus = Modifier To Hit.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Pixie in the Playground

Q381
    Couldn't find anything about it online so... What are the rules a mount that is unmounted during combat abides by? Does the owner control it or the DM? Does it go on its own initiative or during the rider's initiative? Is it still limited in actions as a mounted one is or does it have all it's own actions?

27. - Top - End - #1107

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wyverntamer View Post
    Q381
    Couldn't find anything about it online so... What are the rules a mount that is unmounted during combat abides by? Does the owner control it or the DM? Does it go on its own initiative or during the rider's initiative? Is it still limited in actions as a mounted one is or does it have all it's own actions?
    A381: The creature would revert to a normal, i.e. unmounted, creature. What happens next is up to the DM.

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Q382

These are both on specific wording in Totem Barbarian L14, Totemic Attunements for Wolf and Elk.

(A)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Totem
    While you're raging, you can use a bonus action on your turn to knock a Large or smaller creature prone when you hit it with melee weapon attack.
    This doesn't say you use a bonus action to attempt to knock a creature prone; it says you do it. Am I missing something, or is this, RAW, an automatic success whenever you meet the conditions (successfully hit it and expend a bonus action)? I'm having trouble believing that I'm reading this right, since almost all other "knock prone" options give the target a save or something.

(B)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Totem
    While raging, you can use a bonus action during your move to pass through the space of a Large or smaller creature. That creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your Strength bonus + your proficiency bonus) or be knocked prone and take bludgeoning damage equal to 1d12 + your Strength modifier.
    I'm assuming that there's nothing here which avoids the problems in moving through another creature's square: it counts as difficult terrain, and it permits an opportunity attack if you leave the threatened zone. Is that right?

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisBean View Post
    Q382

These are both on specific wording in Totem Barbarian L14, Totemic Attunements for Wolf and Elk.

(A)
    This doesn't say you use a bonus action to attempt to knock a creature prone; it says you do it. Am I missing something, or is this, RAW, an automatic success whenever you meet the conditions (successfully hit it and expend a bonus action)? I'm having trouble believing that I'm reading this right, since almost all other "knock prone" options give the target a save or something.

(B)
    I'm assuming that there's nothing here which avoids the problems in moving through another creature's square: it counts as difficult terrain, and it permits an opportunity attack if you leave the threatened zone. Is that right?
    A328
    (A) It says you knock them prone, you knock them prone. It just happens.

(B) Nothing in the description says those rules don't apply, so they still do.
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2019-09-20 at 08:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 383
    About the ring option of the wall of fire spell. Assuming I select the outside side of the ring to be the one that deals damage, then do we take damage if we are inside the ring?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Corran; 2019-09-17 at 03:33 PM.
    Hacks!