New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1521
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A506: That’s correct! However for years many have assumed that any disadvantage doesn’t allow SA to process so be prepared for dissent.
    I believe you, however for "defensive" purposes, where is this stated by some kind of authority, because I have definitely seen DMs say "if there's disadvantage, even if negated by advantage, it's "both" and thus it's there, so no Sneak Attack even if the roll is even."

So looking for sources, even though I agree with you.

2. - Top - End - #1442

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
    I believe you, however for "defensive" purposes, where is this stated by some kind of authority, because I have definitely seen DMs say "if there's disadvantage, even if negated by advantage, it's "both" and thus it's there, so no Sneak Attack even if the roll is even."

So looking for sources, even though I agree with you.
    R506: From the PH (via D&D Beyond, emphasis mine),

Sneak Attack:
    "You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll."

Advantage/Disadvantage:
    "If circumstances cause a roll to have both advantage and disadvantage, you are considered to have neither of them, and you roll one d20. This is true even if multiple circumstances impose disadvantage and only one grants advantage or vice versa. In such a situation, you have neither advantage nor disadvantage."

S.A. processes as long as you don't have (present tense) Disadvantage on the roll, and having both is considered to have neither of them. S.A. states nothing about past tense in having had disadvantage.

So it's important to remember/point out that either you have it, or you don't. There's no tracking of the past and applying it to the present roll.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

A 506

I found this too:

https://bit.ly/3b44Fuc

Seems JC has confirmed

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, if you have multiple sources of disadvantage, but only one source of advantage (or vice-versa), they still all cancel out to a normal roll. So an attack that has both advantage and disadvantage is different from an ordinary attack in at least one regard: The attack that has both is completely unaffected by any further sources of advantage or disadvantage.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #1445

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    On the other hand, if you have multiple sources of disadvantage, but only one source of advantage (or vice-versa), they still all cancel out to a normal roll. So an attack that has both advantage and disadvantage is different from an ordinary attack in at least one regard: The attack that has both is completely unaffected by any further sources of advantage or disadvantage.
    That's basically what the people I have debated with assert: it's clearly still having a mechanical effect, since no more advantage causes such, thus it's there, thus no Sneak-Attack. I rule according to what everybody here seems to agree when I DM, but others I know personally do not (lots of DMs in Adventure League, so I encounter quite a few styles), thus that paragraph above isn't enough for them.

Either way, I think we're more involved than the RAW thread now. If we want to continue, we should take it to its own thread. I won't respond on this topic further here to keep this thread as clean as it can be.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

Q507

Can a character qualify for a feat or a multiclass choice by means of a magic item that changes their ability score? I.e. could an Int 8 Barbarian attune to a Headband of Intellect, and then be able to multiclass into Wizard? If yes, what happens if they later lose the item?
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2020-04-13 at 06:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1447

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Q507

Can a character qualify for a feat or a multiclass choice by means of a magic item that changes their ability score? I.e. could an Int 8 Barbarian attune to a Headband of Intellect, and then be able to multiclass into Wizard? If yes, what happens if they later lose the item?
    A507:
    For Feats: yes, but you can only use a feat for as long as you meet the prerequisites. E.g. the Ritual Caster feat requires an Intelligence or Wisdom score of at least 13; your barbarian would be able to use the feat only when they had the headband on.

Multiclassing, on the other hand, only cares about your stats at the time of your level-up. Your barbarian can absolutely use a Headband of Intellect to take a level of Wizard, and once that's done, they in no way need to keep their Intelligence score above 13 to use their Wizard abilities.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    A507:
    For Feats: yes, but you can only use a feat for as long as you meet the prerequisites. E.g. the Ritual Caster feat requires an Intelligence or Wisdom score of at least 13; your barbarian would be able to use the feat only when they had the headband on.

Multiclassing, on the other hand, only cares about your stats at the time of your level-up. Your barbarian can absolutely use a Headband of Intellect to take a level of Wizard, and once that's done, they in no way need to keep their Intelligence score above 13 to use their Wizard abilities.
    Q507a

Thanks, where is this stated?

Also, in the case of Ritual Caster, say my Barbarian has Wis 14, the Headband, and takes Ritual Caster (Wizard). If he loses the Headband, he still qualifies for the feat via his Wisdom, even though he isn't using Wisdom for his Wizard rituals?

9. - Top - End - #1449

Q507a

Thanks, where is this stated?

Also, in the case of Ritual Caster, say my Barbarian has Wis 14, the Headband, and takes Ritual Caster (Wizard). If he loses the Headband, he still qualifies for the feat via his Wisdom, even though he isn't using Wisdom for his Wizard rituals?

PHB Pg 165, right under the Multiclass Spellcaster table. The exact wording is:

Quote Originally Posted by PHB Pg 165
    You must meet any prerequisite specified in a feat to take that feat. If you ever lose a feat's prerequisite, you can't use that feat until you regain the prerequisite. For example, the Grappler feat requires you to have a Strength of 13 or higher. If your Strength is reduced below 13 somehow you can't benefit from the Grappler feat until your Strength is restored.
    As for Ritual Casting, it's an either/or situation. Either your Intelligence or your Wisdom must be 13 or higher to use the feat; it doesn't matter which one. So yes, your 14 WIS barbarian qualifies for the feat regardless.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground

Great, thank you very much.

Q508

The first benefit of the Great Weapon Master feat seems to apply to all melee weapons, not just heavy weapons or two-handed weapons. Is this correct?

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

A508

for the first bullet, yes any melee weapon (crit or kill -> bonus attack), for the second bullet (-5/+10) it states a HEAVY weapon.

PHB pg 167

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground

Great, that's what I thought, thank you.

Q509

Oil says "If the target takes any fire damage before the oil dries (after 1 minute), the target takes an additional 5 fire damage from the burning oil."

Does this apply only the first time, or every time, the target takes fire damage in that minute? What's the reasoning?

13. - Top - End - #1453

BarbarianGuy

Great, that's what I thought, thank you.

Q509

Oil says "If the target takes any fire damage before the oil dries (after 1 minute), the target takes an additional 5 fire damage from the burning oil."

Does this apply only the first time, or every time, the target takes fire damage in that minute? What's the reasoning?
    A509: Only the first time. RAW it's 'any fire damage' and a flat 'additional 5 fire damage' for a period of '1 minute'. It gives no processes for ongoing damage.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q510: How are simultaneous events resolved outside of initiative order?

For example: a party, polymorphed into giant apes by their summoned pixie allies, is walking down a hallway when someone trips a Fireball trap. Which is resolved first:
    A) The characters take damage in their giant ape form.
    B) The druid rolls and fails his concentration check for Conjure Woodland Beings, meaning that the pixies vanish and the characters are no longer polymorphed and take damage in their regular forms.
    C) The pixies all die, meaning that the characters are no longer polymorphed and take damage in their regular forms.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

15. - Top - End - #1455

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q510: How are simultaneous events resolved outside of initiative order?

For example: a party, polymorphed into giant apes by their summoned pixie allies, is walking down a hallway when someone trips a Fireball trap. Which is resolved first:
    A) The characters take damage in their giant ape form.
    B) The druid rolls and fails his concentration check for Conjure Woodland Beings, meaning that the pixies vanish and the characters are no longer polymorphed and take damage in their regular forms.
    C) The pixies all die, meaning that the characters are no longer polymorphed and take damage in their regular forms.
    A510
    Damage from AoEs is dealt simultaneously. That means all characters are effected at the same time. Now that we have that established it's easy to rule on the questions.

A. Yes. They are Giant Apes at the time of the damage.
    B. The Druid wouldn't lose concentration until AFTER the damage was dealt. So the damage would be dealt to all characters effected by the AoE and then the concentration check would be made.
    C. The same answer as B except it's the Pixies dying instead of the Druid lost my concentration. They can't die before they take the damage and the damage is dealt at the same time.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q511

Can a PC who is flying (Aarakocra for example) choose to "fall prone" (free action), plummet up to 500'/round straight down, then "stand up" (1/2 movement speed cost) to stop falling, then fly the remainder of their movement speed to land normally?

I'm imagining a scenario where the flyer is up high for overwatch, and wants to get down NOW, so like a falcon they dive at way more than their fly speed.

I think that would be RAW for splitting up your movement during a turn; I don't think it's OP; but I'm not sure if it's RAI?

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ogre in the Playground

A511

I agree that comports with RAW, and maybe even RAI. It's not realistic in the slightest, but a more realistic model would be much too complex for the very few cases where the situation comes up.

Powers &8^]

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 512
    If I cast dispel magic on an elemental summoned by a Conjure Elemental spell, does the elemental disappear, or does it become uncontrolled by the summoner?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

19. - Top - End - #1459

SolithKnightGuy

Q 512
    If I cast dispel magic on an elemental summoned by a Conjure Elemental spell, does the elemental disappear, or does it become uncontrolled by the summoner?
    A512
    It disappears. The summoner only loses control if they lose concentration, not if the elemental is dispatched in another manner. Dispel Magic would "end the spell" which results in the elemental disappearing.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ogre in the Playground

Q513

Who decides which specific creatures are summoned by Conjure Minor Elementals? Where does it say this?

21. - Top - End - #1461

BarbarianGuy

Q513

Who decides which specific creatures are summoned by Conjure Minor Elementals? Where does it say this?
    A513: (From the D&D Beyond description) “The GM has the creatures' statistics.”

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ogre in the Playground

That doesn't answer the question though.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Titan in the Playground

A 513:

The rules never specify, which is a topic for some debate.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

24. - Top - End - #1464

BarbarianGuy

That doesn't answer the question though.
    R513: Since the GM has the creatures statistics it’s the GM that decides what minor elemental appears. The player only chooses the number and CR level.

From the Sage Advice Compendium:

When you cast a spell like conjure woodland beings, does the spellcaster or the DM choose the creatures that are conjured?

A number of spells in the game let you summon creatures. Conjure animals, conjure celestial, conjure minor elementals, and conjure woodland beings are just a few examples.

Some spells of this sort specify that the spellcaster chooses the creature conjured. For example, find familiar gives the caster a list of animals to choose from.

Other spells of this sort let the spellcaster choose from among several broad options. For example, conjure minor elementals offers four options. Here are the first two:

• One elemental of challenge rating 2 or lower
    • Two elementals of challenge rating 1 or lower

The design intent for options like these is that the spellcaster chooses one of them, and then the DM decides what creatures appear that fit the chosen option. For example, if you pick the second option, the DM chooses the two elementals that have a challenge rating of 1 or lower.

A spellcaster can certainly express a preference for what creatures shows up, but it’s up to the DM to determine if they do. The DM will often choose creatures that are appropriate for the campaign and that will be fun to introduce in a scene.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you. The fact that the DM has the statistics doesn't mean that they choose which ones appear, but the reference to the Sage Advice Compendium is useful.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Q514

Are there any general rules for using improvised weapons for special effect, like ropes for lasso? Relatedly, where can I find the rules for using ropes and grapples as a climbing aid? I can't seem to find this in the section on using ability scores, the equipment listing, or the movement rules.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Orc in the Playground

Q514

Are there any general rules for using improvised weapons for special effect, like ropes for lasso? Relatedly, where can I find the rules for using ropes and grapples as a climbing aid? I can't seem to find this in the section on using ability scores, the equipment listing, or the movement rules.
    A514
    There aren't any rules written for either of those things.

28. - Top - End - #1468

GnomeWizardGuy

A514 (Extra)

To the second point, there's no mention of the tools you list, but a climber's kit does provide some help when climbing:

A climber's kit includes special pitons, boot tips, gloves, and a harness. You can use the climber's kit as an action to anchor yourself; when you do, you can't fall more than 25 feet from the point where you anchored yourself, and you can't climb more than 25 feet away from that point without undoing the anchor.
    Emongnome

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q515
    If a character uses a Brazier of Commanding Fire Elementals or an Elemental gem, do they still need the 10 feet of an element to summon an elemental (per the Conjure Elemental spell), or do they just appear?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Colossus in the Playground

Q515
    If a character uses a Brazier of Commanding Fire Elementals or an Elemental gem, do they still need the 10 feet of an element to summon an elemental (per the Conjure Elemental spell), or do they just appear?
    A515. The only changes to how it says the spells work is the casting time. Each gives specific conditions for casting it. It's going to be a DM call whether the items bypass the requirements of the conjure elemental spell for having a source of the element at least 10 ft. square to draw from. You probably will for Earth; the Stone of Controlling Earth Elementals has to be touched to the ground to work. It could be argued that the Brazier and the Bowl provide the element, but they don't say it springs from the conjuring item, and don't change the range of the spell, so by default RAW, you would still need the source of element to draw the elemental from. But it can be anywhere in range.