New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What to Watch Out for in Your Players

Quote Originally Posted by martixy View Post
    Can I flip the table here?
    I'm afraid not; you're not hosting, so Tabletop Simulator won't let you flip it.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

On the gender issue I think everything has already been said. But on this:

Quote Originally Posted by Rerem115 View Post
    • Wants to be actual royalty in their backstory
    I fail to see how that's a problem.
    Last edited by JoeJ; 2018-07-05 at 05:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I've tallied up all the points for this thread, and consulted with the debate judges, and the verdict is clear: JoeJ wins the thread.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    On the gender issue I think everything has already been said. But on this:

I fail to see how that's a problem.
    If I had to guess, the player(s) he's thinking about wanted to use it as an excuse to break the equivalent of WBL curves and to order NPCs and/or the PCs around.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    If I had to guess, the player(s) he's thinking about wanted to use it as an excuse to break the equivalent of WBL curves and to order NPCs and/or the PCs around.
    Bad behavior by a player is a problem, obviously, but it would be just as obnoxious if the PC had a criminal background and tried to use their ties to organized crime to do those things, or a cleric who did them because they were the favorite of their deity.
    I've tallied up all the points for this thread, and consulted with the debate judges, and the verdict is clear: JoeJ wins the thread.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    People will commit atrocities, yes. You do not have enough information to make this determination for all conceivable intelligent species. No one does. It is, therefore, entirely up to the setting author to decide if atrocities will take place, and all objections are irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Irrelevant. Any author that decides no such thing takes place is not worth talking about. There is no accurate depiction of the world without pain.
    There's a big gap between 'does not commit atrocities' and 'pain exists in the world'. Big enough to fit plenty of conceivable species into.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    There's a big gap between 'does not commit atrocities' and 'pain exists in the world'. Big enough to fit plenty of conceivable species into.
    Especially since different species would not necessarily agree on what constitutes an atrocity. Abandoning young children in the wilderness to survive or die on their own would probably not be an atrocity for a species with a high "r" reproductive strategy (that is, have a very large number of offspring, of which only a small percentage will survive).

7. - Top - End - #367
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm sorry, what?

Especially the first one.[...]The rest are equal bullcrap. There's nothing wrong with being the king. There's nothing wrong with crafting. There's some small bits wrong with dandwiki, and it's the DMs job to decide which.
    I guess it's fair that I explain why I listed what I did.

As I said, I play a lot with new and/or younger players and with strangers. I've found that limiting the amount of overtly sexual content is generally good for group dynamics, thus the "sexy" and "pregnancy" bullets. At least in my experience, enough of the people who cross play are also too overtly sexual for my table, so it makes me prick up my ears a bit more when they describe their character.

For lolrandom and Japanese/edgelordy stuff, see inexperienced players. This also ties into the royalty bit. You can play royalty if you want, just give me a good reason why you're a wandering adventurer, anddon't expect to start with a Holy Avenger and minions (plural) because of your backstory.

For crafting, it slows down play, messes with the average quality of party gear, and as such, is a frequent target of players looking to break the system. Not helping matters is the fact that for 5e, basically all crafting is homebrew. I won't disallow it, per say, but you will have to get me to okay it first.

...Which segways into dandwiki. Is there some good content there? Sure. But, there's just so much garbage that it's probably not worth your time or mine to sift through it/fix whatever you find there. I will work with you on homebrew, but dandwiki is just too untrustworthy.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

For lolrandom and Japanese/edgelordy stuff, see inexperienced players. This also ties into the royalty bit. You can play royalty if you want, just give me a good reason why you're a wandering adventurer, anddon't expect to start with a Holy Avenger and minions (plural) because of your backstory.
    Considering how many fairy tales involve king's sons out seeking their fortunes, it shouldn't be any harder to justify a royal adventurer than any other background. As for minions, the noble background in 5e has an option to start with 3 retainers. You might choose not to allow that at your table, but it's hardly a warning sign if a player sees that in the PHB and wants to have it.

Also, per the PHB, any character can have as many minions as they want for 2gp per day each.
    Last edited by JoeJ; 2018-07-05 at 07:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Considering how many fairy tales involve king's sons out seeking their fortunes, it shouldn't be any harder to justify a royal adventurer than any other background. As for minions, the noble background in 5e has an option to start with 3 retainers. You might choose not to allow that at your table, but it's hardly a warning sign if a player sees that in the PHB and wants to have it.
    I'd disallow a royal adventurer, but that's only because of the four major nations, exactly one is a conventional monarchy, and the royal clan there is small and all their kids are less than 10 years old.

There is another noble family in a different land that has plenty of viable candidates, as long as they're not too busy stabbing each other in the back with poisoned daggers. Not having a clear heir when there's something like 16 primary candidates and ~120 other children (it's complicated, involving lots of wives/concubines and a set of blood-brothers who promised to adopt each others kids when one died). They're only vying for control of one area of the nation, and the absolute monarch (well, sort of) may decide to throw them all out on their ear if they don't cut it out soon.

The other two are a guild-based semi-oligarchy with merito-democratic pretensions and a democratic kritarchy (rule by elected judges). No nobles to be found in either one

For people from those lands, I take the "noble" background to mean "child of a wealthy/established leading family". But then I do narrative custom backgrounds instead of using the book ones directly.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

10. - Top - End - #370

ElfRangerGuy

Also, per the PHB, any character can have as many minions as they want for 2gp per day each.
    You're saying exactly what I mean on the royal adventurer bit. I've legitimately had a couple players say "I'm the king/princess of a country, and leave it at that. No reason why, they were just royalty galivanting about.

With regards to minions, yes you can have retainers. No, those can't be Knights out of the MM. As for hiring minions, I tend to discourage it, since they slow the game down by quite a bit.

I guess my biggest problem with royal PCs is that their very existence tends to warp the plot around them. In games where I've had royal PCs with an actual backstory, the story eventually became a quest to save their kingdom, giving that player a lot of time in the limelight and drawing the others into orbit around them. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but that sheer power as a plot point can definitely skew the game.
    Last edited by Rerem115; 2018-07-05 at 08:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    Especially since different species would not necessarily agree on what constitutes an atrocity. Abandoning young children in the wilderness to survive or die on their own would probably not be an atrocity for a species with a high "r" reproductive strategy (that is, have a very large number of offspring, of which only a small percentage will survive).
    With such disagreement and variance comes an inability to be at peace with another, and thus war.

and thus do more atrocities occur.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

With such disagreement and variance comes an inability to be at peace with another, and thus war.

I think you're claiming that disagreement & variance always leads to war and atrocities.

I'd prefer to believe that war & atrocities can be outgrown, as humanity progresses.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    I think you're claiming that disagreement & variance always leads to war and atrocities.

I'd prefer to believe that war & atrocities can be outgrown, as humanity progresses.
    Yes. through reason. agreed.

But biology and nature are not reason or civilization.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

15. - Top - End - #375

I mean if you can demonstrate that this is a truism applying to all plausible lifeforms, you should publish your thesis and then go collect a Nobel prize for cracking the secrets of xeno-psychology.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

You must be a lot of fun at parties.
    I don't like parties, I'm the worst at parties. prefer to stay at home, read books or write stuff or play videogames. they're either stuffy formal affairs with suits, things with a lot of awkward conversation and just sitting talking for no reason other than to talk which to be fair is the vast majority of them, or wild drunken things that I'll never go to. full of strange stupid etiquette that I don't care about. I have no idea what people see in them. I mostly go for the food and so people don't nag me. rather be doing something actually fun myself. socializing is a necessity to me, not a joy.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

I don't like parties, I'm the worst at parties. prefer to stay at home, read books or write stuff or play videogames. they're either stuffy formal affairs with suits, things with a lot of awkward conversation and just sitting talking for no reason other than to talk which to be fair is the vast majority of them, or wild drunken things that I'll never go to. full of strange stupid etiquette that I don't care about. I have no idea what people see in them. I mostly go for the food and so people don't nag me. rather be doing something actually fun myself. socializing is a necessity to me, not a joy.
    And yet here you are, posting on a forum devoted to tabletop roleplaying games, with a join date of 2010. That strongly suggests that there are at least some social activities you enjoy.
    Last edited by JoeJ; 2018-07-06 at 03:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't like parties,
    Solo adventurer, then?

That should probably be added to the list of things to watch out for.

19. - Top - End - #379

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    dandwiki is a smoking garbage pit.

As a DM that's what I've decided.
    I am not sure why that site gets such universal bad rap. There is some hot garbage in there, but it's the DMs job to curate his own game, not the site's. It's no more egregious than say, allowing Serpent Kingdoms in a 3.5e game.

I guess it's fair that I explain why I listed what I did.

As I said, I play a lot with new and/or younger players and with strangers. I've found that limiting the amount of overtly sexual content is generally good for group dynamics, thus the "sexy" and "pregnancy" bullets. At least in my experience, enough of the people who cross play are also too overtly sexual for my table, so it makes me prick up my ears a bit more when they describe their character.

For crafting, it slows down play, messes with the average quality of party gear, and as such, is a frequent target of players looking to break the system. Not helping matters is the fact that for 5e, basically all crafting is homebrew. I won't disallow it, per say, but you will have to get me to okay it first.

...Which segways into dandwiki. Is there some good content there? Sure. But, there's just so much garbage that it's probably not worth your time or mine to sift through it/fix whatever you find there. I will work with you on homebrew, but dandwiki is just too untrustworthy.
    I didn't elaborate much, which I will now remedy.
    It's true that younger players tend to be immature. Confronting them, right then and there tends to a good way to deal with that. Including all these concerns voiced here and even left unsaid. Dealing with the truth is a good way to resolve things in general.

Okaying things first is, well, okay. But labelling that as an automatic red flag seems a bit too harsh. Which does segway into dandwiki. See above.

People, even kids, don't usually do things merely out of spite. There's usually a better reason, and sussing out that reason and talking it over usually has a greater benefit than handling the symptoms.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I am not sure why that site gets such universal bad rap. There is some hot garbage in there, but it's the DMs job to curate his own game, not the site's. It's no more egregious than say, allowing Serpent Kingdoms in a 3.5e game.
    Its because they do a terrible job of separating their ill-thought-out homebrew content from actual game content and rules. They present themselves as a legitimate resource, and you may be able to use them as one if youre willing to put in the work, but if youre just browsing through classes looking for something to fit a concept, most likely youre going to end up with something that looks awesome at first glance but isn't remotely in a fit state for gameplay.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #381

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Its because they do a terrible job of separating their ill-thought-out homebrew content from actual game content and rules. They present themselves as a legitimate resource, and you may be able to use them as one if youre willing to put in the work, but if youre just browsing through classes looking for something to fit a concept, most likely youre going to end up with something that looks awesome at first glance but isn't remotely in a fit state for gameplay.
    But....

they have big stonking banners on top that say "This is homebrew" or "This is SRD".

I don't get it...?

22. - Top - End - #382

ElfRangerGuy

Maybe I used the wrong term when I said "red flag". I meant it as something that immediately draws the attention, a sign that I should start listening and make sure all is well.

Most of what I listed isn't enough to do much more than ping on my radar. But, that ping exists for a reason, which is why I listed it as a flag.

23. - Top - End - #383

ElfRangerGuy

But....

they have big stonking banners on top that say "This is homebrew" or "This is SRD".

I don't get it...?
    Well, the people looking for a "unique" character concept are going to find one. And when they hear I'm okay with homebrew, they are going to ask me if it's okay to play as a slightly depowered Solar who's class lets him ride a dragon and make 15 attacks a round. So, i just say no dandwiki to simplify things.
    Last edited by Rerem115; 2018-07-06 at 11:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

And yet here you are, posting on a forum devoted to tabletop roleplaying games, with a join date of 2010. That strongly suggests that there are at least some social activities you enjoy.
    close friends who I've carefully built friendships with. I admit, I'm not the fastest at making friends, nor do I actively do so. roleplaying itself I enjoy for the art of it. talking about the videogames I like which are currently things like Fallout New Vegas, Hearthstone or Tales of Bersaria. talking about some shows I like. I just don't see the point in socializing for its own sake. my interests and preferences determine it. and those preferences include whom I like or dislike given what I've seen of a person. you may think it non-social to avoid people I do not like because of their views, but I just see it as a form of social skill in recognizing the people you'll never get along with and avoiding them instead of causing trouble because I decided to uselessly try to talk to them anyways, because I am honest like that and therefore honestly have to be observant of other people and thus extrapolate from what I've seen of them to determine such things.

I admit I could probably be a lot more socially adept if I apply myself, but I am lazy, and I don't like spouting bull.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Closed for cleaning
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.