New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

More arrows bounce uselessly off the chitinous hide as it manages to wriggle out of Graitore's hold once more. The Gnolls unleashed another torrent of arrows. Luckily, their apparent exhaustion had sapped some of their aim and all four went wide. The beetle seemed to quiver before it backed off slightly, unsure.

Spoiler
    Show
    The beetle broke free and then 5-ft step back. The Gnolls rolled worse than y'all.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Graitore continued to assault the beetle, looking for where to latch down more firmly onto the creature so that it could no longer escape. As long as it was focused on escaping him, it would prove no bother to his allies. Seeing as how resilient the creature was, Gratoire knew that would have to be his victory for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    shove (1d20+7)[26] 3 damage and battered
    Grapple (1d20+12)[25]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

The trio of Oathbreakers reappear as they slash at the gnoll archer from behind.
    It's only a moment after that before Oathbreaker unleashes an all-out assault.

"Initiate Arcana: Fan of Flames!"

He shouts, outstretching his hand as the summoned athame flies out of his hand to hover by his head.
    Flames roar out from his palm to cover the two gnolls and the retreating beetle (but not Graitore!).
    As the flames dissipate, Oathbreaker cleaves into one of the still-standing gnolls with his sickle again.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Full-Round Action: Spell Combat!
    1st Half: Burning Hands. Would provoke an AoO if the gnoll has a melee attack, but since he's holding a bow probably not!
    Angling 15' cone to hit both gnoll trappers and the beetle
    Reflex Save DC 15 for Half, (4d4)[12] Fire and flammable materials set on fire.

Free Action During Full Attack: 5' Step to the east

2nd Half: On-Hand Sickle attack versus Gnoll Trapper 3 if he's still up, otherwise Gnoll Trapper 2
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[10] plus (1d6)[2] Cold
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Zadkiel kept shooting frantically at the gnolls, trying to get the hang of the bow he'd just bought and figuring how how it shot.

Spoiler
    Show

Still at Trapper 2, then switching to Trapper 1 if the first shot actually kills it.

Attack: (1d20+7)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[9]

Attack: (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[10]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

An endless dance, Graitore grabs hold of the beetle only for it to slip his grasp once more. This time, the beetle did not hesitate taking flight and rushing away into the mid-day desert sun. Oathbreaker's second arcane assault, combined with Zadkiel's suddenly excellent marksmenship, finds one of the Trapper's with an arrow through his skull and the other with a large stab wound and his clothes on fire. Quickly, the Gnoll jumps to the ground rolling and screaming in pain. In moment's the fire has been put out and the last remaining Gnoll looks up with a pleading whine. Please! Mercy! She made us! Fang Pharaoh made us!
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

With a sigh of relief, Khep calms himself and, taking a few moments, extricates himself from the net. A soft, calming wave emerges from him, healing and soothing wounds.

Spoiler: OOc
    Show
    Channel Energy (2d6)[7]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

"Wouldst our positions reversed, thou wouldst condemn us to a lifetime of slavery. Consider this mercy."

Oathbreaker states coldly, before lashing out with his dagger and sickle, plunging the icy blade of force into the gnoll's ribs while drawing his sickle across the beastman's throat.

Show

If necessary, full-round attack (+4 from Prone)
    To-Hit: (1d20+11)[15]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[7] plus (1d6)[6] Cold

To-Hit: (1d20+11)[13]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[7] plus (1d6)[2] Cold

Turning away from the slain gnoll, Oathbreaker called out to his comrades.

"Are thou all in good health!?"

8. - Top - End - #68

SwashbucklerGuy

As the beetle escapes, Gratoire goes to latch on again, but stops when he realizes that it is attempting to retreat. He begins to shift back into his human form. He had done his duty, poorly, but it was completed nonetheless. Besides it was just a creature not a malevolent being, unlike these gnolls.

"Stay your hand Oathbreaker, I would like to hear more about this pretend Pharoah." Gratoire disliked the idea of looking one who had asked for mercy.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

"As thou wishes."

Oathbreaker says, stepping back away from the fallen gnoll, but keeping his hands on his weapons and his eyes on the gnoll.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

"I would too. Who's this Fang Pharoah and what does she want with us? Don't play us false, now."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

"You've had a taste of the hard way, so let's give the easy way a try?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20+14)[22]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Khep's wave of positive energy washed over the assorted humanoids, restoring their vitality. Oathbreaker's strike into the prone gnoll's back restitched itself but his companion remained still too far gone for Khep's unintentional aid to be of any use. Unfortunately, their leader stirred as her subordinate pleaded for his life. She snarled and spat Hold your tongue or I shall rip it out myself! We owe you nothing, pink-skins! She struggled to her feet but it was obvious she was barely able to manage such an effort.

The gnoll looked anxiously between his leader, Oathbreaker and Zadkiel before continuing cautiously. Fang Pharaoh! He send us out, to find new stock. He liked the last Genie we brought, so he wanted more. The gnoll gestured to Khep. Fang Pharaoh is cruel. We can't return till we have another Genie! He buried his snout into the sand as the leader seethed, releasing a torrent of gnoll curses but not making any moves. If we return with no Genie, we can't enter fort. I'm tired of sands! Hot sands hurt my feet!
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

"You jumped us and we didn't kill you for it. I say you owe us big," Zadkiel growled back at the gnoll leader, as he gestured to the others to restrain her.

Turning back to the other gnoll, Zadkiel crouched down and returned to a more friendly tone. "Calm down, and just tell me what you know. Who is Fang Pharoah, another gnoll, or something else? Where's he at, and how many followers does he have? Why does he want genies?"

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate on the leader: (1d20+10)[14]
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2018-11-05 at 03:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire shrugs and does as Zadkiel asks, forcefully restraining the gnoll leader. "Now what are we going to do with you? he asks without malice. He decides to put a little more show into it holding the gnoll leader in a painful position in order to make Zadkiel even more threatening.

Spoiler
    Show
    aid another on intimidate (1d20+9)[15]

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

The leader snapped at Graitore but made no move to resist him nor the ropes quickly binding her arms. Her subordinate remained talkative. He's a Gnoll! Big and scary and mean! He lives at Fort Fang; that's where we live too. Or, used to. I can't go back there now... He was silent for a moment, seeming to contemplate his new life before gulping and continuing, slightly more unsure. I don't know how many. I've never counted that high. More than... 5 of these? I think? He held up his fingers on both hands, you note he's missing a finger. I don't know why he wants Genies. Another party brought one in a few weeks ago and it sold well apparently. But Genies are tough. They always travel in big groups and never go near human walls.

Spoiler
    Show
    Khep now realizes that the Gnoll is using Genie as a catch-all term for actual Genies as well as genie-kin. Anyone who makes a DC 11 Knowledge Local also comes to same realization. It is not clear if the original Genie that was captured was a Genie or Genie-kin, based on his explanation and apparent confusion of terms.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

After Gratoire is finished securing the two prisoners and Zadkiel has satisfied his curiosity, Oathbreaker waves them and Khep over.

"What is thou intent with these two, given our mission and the fact that they are slavers?"

The warrior out of time asked quietly, so the gnolls would not overhear this conversation.

"Furthermore, while this Fang Pharaoh is perhaps a threat to the region, I do not see how this relates to our mission. After the message is delivered and there are no other tasks left for us, on the way back however . . ."

Oathbreaker shrugs. The mission always came first, and he didn't often dally after completing them before returning to be preserved again for the next time Pharaoh had need. But, there was some latitude in there, and since he was working as part of a team this time some consideration had to be given to their desires as well. If they wanted to wipe out this entire band of slavers, Oathbreaker would certainly not say no to that - but only *after* the mission was complete.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

"I agree. I mainly wanted to be sure they were nothing more than common bandits. They don't seem to know what's going on, but the best way to be sure they don't talk..." Zadkiel trailed off.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"As distasteful as it is to murder prisoners, these are servants of a great evil, and we cannot afford them to speak. I agree, and will speak my agreement fully - they need to be executed." Khep looks down towards the Gnolls, lips pressed tightly together. "If there are any rites to be performed on your bodies, tell me now. By my devotion to Pharasma, I shall see them carried out."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

"I shalt carry out the sentence. Their blood shall be on my hands alone."

Oathbreaker offered, and provided that there is no further objections or desire to question the two gnolls, he carries out his promise.
    He executes both gnolls swiftly, slitting their throats with the blade of his sickle, with no more passion than if he were crushing a beetle under his heel.
    This was a service he had performed many, many times before - the repetition of which had long ago ground out any hesitation or regret.
    Slavers must die.

After they breathed their last, Oathbreaker separated their heads from their bodies, and likewise made sure the other gnolls were dead and that resurrection or re-animated would be difficult if not impossible by removing their heads as well.

"Now, let us continue our journey."

Oathbreaker said, cleaning his blade off in the sands, before sheathing it and walking in the general direction they had been traveling, trusting the others would fall back into formation around him.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ugly business, that. But it had to be done," Zadkiel nodded once the proceedings were finished. "Prisoners or not, what they did is a capital crime. Back in my ranging days, when we saw bandits doing that to folk we were well within our rights to shoot 'em without warning. None of us took a prisoner just to haul him back to a trial and a chopping block."

21. - Top - End - #81

SwashbucklerGuy

Graitore grunts in agreement, hopefully their miserable lives would be better in the next one. He quickly posted down the bodies, if these gnolls were able to traverse the desert as well as they claimed they may have some useful supplies for their venture. Once satisfied that the Risen Guard were again equipped and able to progress, he returned to camp to wait for when the sun would finally relent it's heat before they continued on

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

The leader remains frustratingly silent but the chatty one explains they don't bury their dead; they are either eaten if food has been scarce or left for carrion. Gnolls had little use for sentimentality nor lengthy rituals. If any decide to relieve the now headless corpses of their supplies, they find a small array of non-lethal weaponry, some ratty (and smelly) light armor, some small vials filled with a swirling robin's-egg-blue liquid, as well as a gnarled stick with a bit of quartz crystal stuck into the knot at one end. Additionally, in the leader's pocket is a scrap of parchment with some crudely written common. Tresnu. Capture more Genie. They sell well. Avoid desert Genie. Dangerous. Mountain Genie like last one. Sokar's Boil, it said. In lieu of a signature, is what looks like the letter H with a thumbprint smeared overtop of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    LOOT!
    6 Nets
    3 MW Composite Shortbows [+2]
    6 Bolas
    4 MW Studded Leather Armor
    MW Mancatcher
    Glaive-Gurisame
    6 Cure Moderate Wounds Potions
    Cure Light Wound Wand with 13 charges remaining

Your journey continues, undaunted by the brief attempt on your freedom. You manage to avoid encounters with the various hostile wildlife, narrowly avoiding a roving wurm as it clashed with a genie tribe. This scuffle kicked up a kashmin storm but lucky for you, you were already at the base of Sokar's Boil by the time it reached you, the howling winds and scouring sand failing to climb it's heights. It was little difficulty finding the lightly worn path that wove its way around the volcano's southeast side. As you ascend the path, you notice the sweltering, dry heat of the desert does not abate if anything it seems to increase in intensity. After climbing for a few hours, you start to smell smoke on the wind and as you round the bend you spot thin tendrils of smoke not far from you, rising lazily into the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    New map on Roll20. You are not in combat at the moment but please limit your movement to 1 rounds worth of actions. Note the north face of the map is a sheer clifface that goes up, while the south face is a sheer cliff that goes down, while the yellow path is the path you've been following since you started ascending the volcano. Feel free to rearrange yourselves into your marching order. Also I've totally spaced on tokens, so if anyone has a preference I'll whip one (or upload it) when you give it to me.

Note this is a different day (2 days later, actually) so you should be at full. You had to camp near the volcano's base the previous night and it is about 11 am give or take.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

After the gnoll ambush when it had appeared as if they had lost them prior to leaving Ipeq (and hadn't), Oathbreaker's sense of paranoia was at "extreme vigilance" level.

"Halt. Allow me to quietly ascend the path to the town, and confirm that there is not more danger waiting for us at the gates. I shall return shortly."

Oathbreaker whispers quietly, and then advances up the path towards the town, moving low to the ground and making use of what little cover was available on the ascending path. Once Sokar's Boil itself is in sight, Oathbreaker scans the town for any sign that things were not normal, and that perhaps some sort of danger was awaiting them.

Show

Moving forward diagonally 15' on the map and Perceptioning and Stealthing. If he can see people moving about, let's go with a Sense Motive as well to see if they're acting weirdly or in a manner suggesting an ambush.

Stealth: (1d20+10)[20]
    Perception: (1d20+2)[22]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[6]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

As Oathbreaker creeps up the path, peering over the scant cover he spies a deserted and ruined camp. Tents made of loose fabric flutter and smolder, many having large portions completely burnt away. They ring a small path, with what remains of a bonfire in the center but based on how the soot and burn patterns it is doubtful that is the cause of the fire damage nor the still smoldering fabrics. At the far end of the small camp is a large tent, many sizes larger than the rest. Or at least what remains of it, a large boulder that is still glowing red in spots sits in the center of a pile of burnt fabric, a single wooden pole impaling it to show the remains of what was once a grand consular tent.

However, this charred scene is not what draws Oathbreakers (or any one elses) attention for long. Sitting on the cliff just above the camp is a large, four-legged creature peering down at you. It has the head and wings of a hawk, but its perched upon legs of a big cat. It's position suggests it is attempting to remain out of sight, peering over the ledge and using it as a vantage point. But its forepaws hang off the side and its head is cocked fully over, making it's presence extremely obvious. It follows Oathbreaker's movement with a keen eye but doesn't make any move from its position. Occasionally its eyes flit to the rest of the party but most of his attention is on the nameless man.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Aware that the creature had seen him despite his efforts yet was not making any hostile move (as yet - undoubtedly waiting to see if it could draw the others in first), Oathbreaker quickly backs away down the path again, keeping the Hieracosphinx in his line of sight as much as possible. Once back down the path, he gives a terse report to the group.

"Camp is destroyed, seemingly done by fiery boulders. There is a heiracosphinx above, watching us. I don't believe it was responsible for the camp's destruction, but it's possible it is working with whoever did. We should advance carefully and confront the beast for answers. I can serve as a translator should we wish to negotiate."

26. - Top - End - #86

SwashbucklerGuy

"Since it is currently unaware of our numbers, we should attempt an ambush while we talk with the creature. However a flanking maneuvers like such is beyond my skill." Graitore says as he begins to stretch his arms for the upcoming fight.
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2018-11-16 at 10:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

"Give me a general idea where it is, and I can sneak in close and make it the rest of the way under Invisibility", Zadkiel suggested.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Khep shakes his head. "I would think we have already been spotted Comrades. Best thing for it is to approach carefully, and investigate the camp."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

"Very well. Be on the lookout for any other creatures, too. If I wanted to set up an ambush here I'd want everyone's eyes to be on the sphinx."

30. - Top - End - #90

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire nods and takes the lead approaching warily towards the creature. His movements are slow and precise despite the blood rushing through his veins hastening him to charge the creature and attack.

Wary for any other threat, he scans the area while still trying to keep an eye on the Sphinx. "Say your peace, he whispers to his fellow Risen Guard, " let's see if we can get out of this alive.

Spoiler: perception
    Show
    keeping an eye out for other enemies (1d20+8)[24]