New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

"I shall translate then."

Oathbreaker says, keeping step with Graitoire (and mentally preparing himself to cast Color Spray on the sphinx if it attempted to swoop down upon them).

Making a series of what may sound like throaty bird calls and clipped-off roars, Oathbreaker hails the sphinx in its own tongue.

Spoiler: Sphinx
    Show

"Greetings, noble denizen of the desert! Are you aware of what happened here? We were hoping to find shelter from the day's heat!"
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

"I think I caught the meaning."

Zadkiel's nerves were already on edge, so the instant the sphinx moved to attack he was already lining up a furious volley of shots.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+7)[17]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[15]

Attack: (1d20+7)[12]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[10]

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Khep's eyes narrow as the Sphynx' screech pierces the groups ears, and immediately raises the spiral staff, a shadow smelling of gravedirt bursting upwards towards the creature, the cold touch of the otherworld leeching from its flesh

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    One Spell Point Used to Exhaust, 8 left, Fort Save DC19 to resist

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

As Oathbreaker spoke the sphinx, it reared up screeching in response! It fans it wings but Khep and Zadkiel are faster. The shadowy magic impacts its chest but it seems only mildly perturbed, more more agitated by one of Zadkiel's arrow clipping a wing and splattering blood. The sphinx takes flight, diving through the air snapping wildly with its beak. It dives upon Zadkiel, beak tearing into flesh. It attempts to snap at Oathbreaker who narrowly blocks the snapping beak.

Spoiler
    Show
    7 damage to Zadkiel
    Note the Sphinx is still airborne, 10 ft off the ground. As long as your are adjacent (or directly beneath) it, you can hit it in melee. And vice versa.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2018-11-23 at 07:48 PM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker rolls under the beast's slowed attack, coming to his feet around the side of the creature.

He snaps his fingers of his off-hand, twisting them into a rapid series of arcane patterns before extending his hand to unleash a brilliant flash of rainbow-hued light.

"Initiate Arcana - Blinding Rainbow!"

He then takes a swing at the beast's flank, while concentrating his arcane energies to bring the spell back into his mind - he may have need of it again.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Free: 5' Step if possible on the path to current location on map to the immediate east of the sphinx.
    Full-Round Action: Spell Combat!
    Melee Attack (-4 Penalty to add to concentration check)
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[11]

Spell
    Casting Defensively Color Spray
    Concentration Check: (1d20+12)[31] vs. DC 16 (+4 from taking attack penalty)
    Will Save DC 14 or Blinded (3-4 HD) for (1d4)[4] Rounds, or (5+ HD) Stunned for 1 Round

Swift Action: Spend 1 Arcana Pool Point to recall Color Spray

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire takes a quick step forward, secretly happy to take the simple approach instead of dealing with diplomacy. He winds his arm back and launches a powerful uppercut into the creatures underside.

Spoiler
    Show
    power attack (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage (1d8+7)[12]

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Zadkiel stumbled back from the creature as its beak caught him, but recovered quickly and sent two more shots its way.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+7)[20]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[12]

Attack: (1d20+7)[20]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[7]

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Switching the grip on his staff, Khep lets loose a flying bolt of icy cold

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Using Domain Ability

(1d20+6)[10] vs Touch, (1d6+2)[5] cold damage
    Last edited by Genth; 2018-11-26 at 03:55 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Oathbreaker's technicolor assault overwhelmed the sphinx's sense causing it sieze and fall to the ground, too overwhelmed to retaliate. In response, the rest of the party brutally pummel upon its prone form.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker mercilessly hacks at the back of the sphinx's neck, and then rapidly backs away from the creature, trusting in his friends to finish it off if it still lived.
    He holds his arcane powers in reserve for now, believing that they would not be necessary to end the beast.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Standard: Attack vs. Prone & Stunned Heirosphinx (+4 To-Hit, -2 AC to Sphinx from Stunned)
    To-Hit: (1d20+13)[26]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[6]
    Move: Move 10' away from the sphinx further towards the ruins - move done on map.

Heirosphinx is no longer Stunned.

11. - Top - End - #101

SwashbucklerGuy

Now that the beast was in the ground, Gratoire leapt forward to bring his jutting elbow crashing down on the Sphinx, letting his whole body add itself to the weight of the attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    power attack (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage (1d8+7)[15]

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Khep draws back, watching dispassionately as the creature is put out of it's misery.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

The sphinx screeches in pain as the continued assault lash at his frame. It pants heavily, having regained its composure but it makes no effort to right itself, bloody limbs quivering. In a rasping squawk it begs. [Mercy! Please! Your strong! I was foolish! Please!]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

"What's it saying?" Zadkiel called over his shoulder as he peered onwards. Once it was clear the creature was beaten and his companions bore down on it, he'd taken up a position to look out for more enemies their battle might have drawn.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+13)[29]

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

"It is asking for mercy. What concessions doth we wish from it?"

Oathbreaker says, then replies to the sphinx in its own screeching tongue.

Show

"Mercy is granted, not given freely. In return for your life, we require information. The truth of your replies shall determine your fate. This place was once inhabited by people like us - do you know what happened to them?
    Were you responsible for this destruction!?"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

The Sphinx hesitates, eyes darting amongst you before returning to Oathbreaker. [No! Not me! This mine! My mountain! But stupid pointy ear! He zap me! Told me "Go away and live" so I go away and live! Pointy ear and his stupid friends setup those... things!] He gestured to the ruined camp. [Pointy ear and his friends go up and down my mountain! Sometimes, Pointy ear has friends, but most time not. But! Big scary scaley came! I watched from afar. Watched big Scaley go-] it unleashes a hellish, long screech. Oathbreaker at first believes it's some odd word or turn of phrase in the confusing Sphinx language but as it goes on longer its becomes clearer it's imitating something but what he has no clue. [Pointy ear go up the mountain. Hasn't came back. Big Scaley hasn't come back. My mountain!] It pauses for a half second before adding [But you can visit.] As far as Oathbreaker can tell, the Sphinx is telling the truth, as well as its limited intellect and communication skills can convey.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

17. - Top - End - #107

SwashbucklerGuy

Once the Sphinx finishes, and his words are relayed, Gratoire takes a few steps away to consider their circumstances so as to be out of earshot of the sphinx. "Sphinx's are supposed to speak in riddles, I'd almost prefer that to the jumbled up mess this one has given us to decipher."

There were at least two other factions to contend with, some type of mage and some type of scaled fire creature. Gratoire shivers inwardly at the idea that a dragon had taken up residence on the mountain, but reminds himself not to jump to conclusions as well as steeling himself that he was the emperor's hand and would do what must be done.

Listening to the sphinx was beginning to give Gratoire a headache even before Oathbreaker would translate do Gratoire went and investigated the tents.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception check to search the ruined camp (1d20+8)[12]
    Profession soldier check to determine the numbers that staid here/if it was a military formation [roll]1d20+9[/roll]
    Survival to look for tracks and see if anyone escaped (1d20+9)[13]
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2018-11-30 at 10:39 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

"At least that squawking hasn't drawn any eyes, that I can tell anyways," Zadkiel sighed. "What's the gist of it?"
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2018-12-01 at 01:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker's frown deepens as he hears the sphinx speak of a "big scaley". Despite the creature's awful impersonation of it, there was only one thing that Oathbreaker knew of that was scaled, winged, roared, and could destroy a camp this thoroughly. He had crossed paths with a few dragons on his various missions - none of them ended well. So it was with no small amount of trepidation that he turned back to the group.

"It is a little hard to understand, but I believe that our contact, Conall Reyran, was here in the camp. He was the only elf with the expedition party, I believe, and our new friend here described being driven off by a "pointy ear". There a dragon or dragon-kin of some sort showed up and attacked the camp."

Oathbreaker indicates the destruction around them.

"After the attack, Conall went up the mountain for some reason, and hasn't come back down as far as the sphinx has seen. So it would appear that we are going up the mountain - and we may have to confront a dragon."

Oathbreaker summarized, sheathing his scythe after wiping it clean of the sphinx's blood. He steps back and turns away from the sphinx.

"I see no reason to tarry here much longer. Let us be on our way further up the mountain."

Oathbreaker addresses the sphinx before walking away in the direction of the path leading further up the mountainside.

Show

"Your information has purchased you your life. If you see any other two-legged beings such as ourselves on your mountain again, I suggest that you negotiate first before resorting to violence. Others may not be as merciful as we are."

20. - Top - End - #110

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire agrees with Oathbreaker's summation and finishes up his investigation of the camp. He gives one last intimidating look at the sphinx before leaving. As they continued to the mountain, he considers how best to fight a dragon.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

The Sphinx eyes the party warily, before limping to the edge. With one last hesitant look backwards, it leapt off and took flight on shaky wings. A survey of the camp showed little of value. The smaller tents had a variety of personal affects, stashes of food and clothing and what used to be delicate geological instruments summarily ruined by the attack. You can find bits of paper that isn't completely ruined but most of it is either personal diaries (which would require time to sort, organize and read through), or complicated geological and magical writings that would also take time to organize and decipher. And anything you find in or around the massive tent in the back is utterly ruined, either burned or illegibly stained with soot and smoke.

Luckily, the further trek up the volcano's south-face was rather uneventful. You noticed the sphinx pass around once not long after you started climbing once more but it did not return nor harry you. It took the better part of the day, but as the sun started to fade behind the sand-fog of the storm, you come across a large cave mouth where the path you were on ends, heading into the cave's interior. In the dimming dusk light, you can just make out a massive door that glistens gold a little ways into the cave's mouth.

Spoiler
    Show
    new map on roll20!
    You've fully entered exploration mode at this point. If I programmed Roll20 correctly, you shouldn't be able to move past the walls accidentally, but if you do just put yourself back. As a general rule, you'll be assumed to have covered whatever distance you travel within the map so if an event triggers you'll get a slight rollback to where you were when the event happens.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Looking to the others, Khep gives a soft smile. "Shall we move in together, comrades?" he asks, taking the first few brave steps into the cave.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

"Initiate Arcana: Seeking Light."

Oathbreaker intones, summoning four small balls of light that he sends ahead of him into the cave.
    He follows Khep inside, pausing to stand beside him as he examines the strange door warily.

"A structure of some sort? Doest thou think there art wards present upon it?"

He asks, looking for any obvious arcane sigils or any insignia or decoration at all.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+2)[7]

24. - Top - End - #114

SwashbucklerGuy

While the others engaged in trapfinding, Gratoire took the moment to ensure this is where their elven quarry had traveled. He searched for tracks along the ground and to the cave entrance. Once everyone was assured of the safety of entering, Gratoire struck up a torch and took the lead.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

"There might be wards, or if someone unfriendly has been here before us, more mundane traps," Zadkiel suggested. "Never hurts to check."

Spoiler
    Show

Detect Magic on it first, then Perception to check for traps: (1d20+13)[31]

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

A quick magical scan shows little at the actual entrance, nor any signs of eldritch runes either. However, your magically enhanced sight glows alight with an Overwhelmingly strong aura from the golden door that lay ahead. So strong you must avert your gaze and cease your spell to avoid a splitting headache. Luckily, you also do not seem to notice any signs of more mundane barriers to entry, the smooth stone seems to be unworked by any tool. The ground seems to be have a light coating of sand, blown or tracked in from the outside. As the others begin to filter into the space, Zadkiel calls out a warning to stop! He points out an odd pattern in the sand, only a couple of feet from where his comrades now stood. It looked like something had recently burrowed into the sand there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Dungeoneering from anyone they like. I've marked the odd pattern on the map.
    Also, preemptively roll Init.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

"Something in the sand!" Zadkiel called out as he looked around for a rock, or anything solid to stand on, as he nocked an arrow and scanned the floor for any sign of something coming up.

Spoiler
    Show

If he can find something to stand on within 30' he will go stand on it, otherwise he will more generally back up away from the door.

Ready an attack with the Deadly Shot special action:

To-Hit: (1d20+9)[12]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[16] + (1d10)[3]

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Then let us make it uncomfortable." Khep replies, waving a hand at the sand, the particles starting to clump and entomb

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Geomancy. DC 19 Save or whatever is in there cannot move.

29. - Top - End - #119

SwashbucklerGuy

With little else to do to prepare for the sand battle, Gratoire steps ahead to guard the others while drawinh a throwing axe and readies himself to attack. He briefly imagines it the shovel in his backpack would prove a better weapon, and smiles inwardly at the idea of him chasing the monster around the room, excavating behind it. He throws good imagination to the side and focuses on the task at hand

Spoiler
    Show
    ready an action to throw the axe at the creature when it comes in range
    (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage (1d6+3)[4]

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

As Khep works his magic, there's an unearthly screeching that emanates from within the chamber as the sand churns. As Graitore approaches the shifting sand, he experiences a sudden vertigo as the sand beneath him gives way. But he's quick on his feet and manages to hold himself upright. The sand in the room becomes concave, as a quintet of flailing tentacle's erupt from the bottom of the sudden, new pit. However, thanks to Khep's magic, the sand swirls around the thing's body, keeping it pinned in place, a gnashing maw snapping into open air as it's tentacle's flail. Zadkiel's arrow flies straight but bounces harmless off the creature's hide. Graitore's axe, however, struck true.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone who steps within (or start's their turn in) the yellow square must make a DC 15 Reflex or be Entangled.

This action was an Immediate Action, so it's turn has not occurred yet. That means only Inspectre may post.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!