New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Worst REAL house rules you've used

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    Enemies are now represented with chocolate, whosoever kills the enemy gets the chocolate.
    What makes this one of the worst? Is it because certain characters get more chocolate than others this way?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

In general, in a game such as D&D, I believe granting bonuses to whoever finihses an enemy is extremely wrong, since the point is contributing to the victory, not kill-stealing for EXP or whatever. But with chocolate it's just a funny harmless quirk of the game, I would say. Unless the players take chocolate very seriously, I guess.

(Now I'm picturing players being like, "Sorry guys, I need to play a bard or a cleric this time, I'm on a diet").
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2018-11-19 at 01:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    What makes this one of the worst? Is it because certain characters get more chocolate than others this way?
    My guess would be it is a bonus reward (delicious chocolate specifically), which does on some level encourage focusing on being the person to kill a monster, rather than working together to defeat your foes. Or they got melty.

Edit: On top of that, there's really no reason to do this extra incentive. If you're party isn't accomplishing things because they enjoy the adventure, then you have a different problem. At best this just warps the objective of a cooperative RPG.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2018-11-19 at 02:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Edit: On top of that, there's really no reason to do this extra incentive. If you're party isn't accomplishing things because they enjoy the adventure, then you have a different problem. At best this just warps the objective of a cooperative RPG.
    Notably I've noticed that using something edible for metagame currency encourages players to actually spend them. Otherwise I tend to see players ending the game with them all saved up 'just in case'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Notably I've noticed that using something edible for metagame currency encourages players to actually spend them. Otherwise I tend to see players ending the game with them all saved up 'just in case'.
    Sure, but it isn't really a currency. It's not like 5e's inspiration, you aren't getting anything in-game. It's purely an out of game reward that's encouraging a behavior more likely to cause problems (in most RPGs) than facilitate good/desirable behavior.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Sure, but it isn't really a currency. It's not like 5e's inspiration, you aren't getting anything in-game. It's purely an out of game reward that's encouraging a behavior more likely to cause problems (in most RPGs) than facilitate good/desirable behavior.
    Sure, my point was that sometimes you really do want that temptation to eat the thing. I really do agree it's bad to represent enemies with them, but with metagame currencies and other 'per PC' things there's no competition to worry about.

Although I do always have the temptation to run a campaign about a bear invasion just to use gummi bears as minis...
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Sure, my point was that sometimes you really do want that temptation to eat the thing. I really do agree it's bad to represent enemies with them, but with metagame currencies and other 'per PC' things there's no competition to worry about.

Although I do always have the temptation to run a campaign about a bear invasion just to use gummi bears as minis...
    Yeah, I can see the value in that.

Candyland: Bearpocalypse... Dang it, now I want to see this game.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2018-11-19 at 03:44 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

Another potential problem is players eating the miniatures when they're not supposed to (which doesn't usually happen with metal miniatures).

"Where did this army of orcs go?"

"Mmm... delicious!"

9. - Top - End - #249

RogueGuy

yeah, there were several issues with the chocolate one, but for us the nail in the coffin was when the girl who really liked chocolate got upset because her character never killed anyone.
    she was given a bag of Hershey kiss's as an apology later, and we never used that rule again.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    true sight can see your mundane hiding rogue even though he is behind the rock that is bigger than him and the castor has no line of sight.
    What about the Pollux?
    But seriously...did the DM not think magic made mundane methods of doing things obsolete enough?
    Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 2018-11-19 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Didn't notice that there was a whole page of discussion...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm doing rolled stats and most of the players are ok with it but one player is insisting on this rule. Players that roll 17 or 18 on a stat have it lowered to 15 instead.
    Despite the fact its rolled stats where your stats are added up and the total must be over 70. And its made things balanced the players with a 18 usually have a stat that is 5 or something.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

A trick I once used in Paranoia is using M&Ms as miniatures. Because their colors match the security clearances in the game.

Of course, gameplay in Paranoia is much, ahem, happier than in D&D...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

13. - Top - End - #253

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMoon6 View Post
    Another potential problem is players eating the miniatures when they're not supposed to (which doesn't usually happen with metal miniatures).

"Where did this army of orcs go?"

"Mmm... delicious!"
    I feel there's a story here...

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rerem115 View Post
    Re-rolling initiative every turn. You think combat takes forever? Add re-drawing the initiative table every turn for a 6 person party, 8 mooks, and a boss to that.
    You are not playing Shadowrun then. Yes we re-roll Initiative every round but we also need one (action packed) hour for one combat turn, so it's not actually all that often that we roll Initiative.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdolch View Post
    You are not playing Shadowrun then. Yes we re-roll Initiative every round but we also need one (action packed) hour for one combat turn, so it's not actually all that often that we roll Initiative.
    Ah, Shadowrun. A game with many good ideas (especially settingwise), but flawed execution on so many things. I look forward to a chance to run a game in the Shadowrun universe with a less-quirky ruleset.
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

16. - Top - End - #256
    Pixie in the Playground

Back when we first started playing D&D 3.0 at 11 or so years our DM mostly gave XP for lasthitting. Better yet, player killing got you all the experience the killed player had accumulated. Fun times xD

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Ah, Shadowrun. A game with many good ideas (especially settingwise), but flawed execution on so many things. I look forward to a chance to run a game in the Shadowrun universe with a less-quirky ruleset.
    There's always Shadowrun: Anarchy. It's a much lighter system built for the same setting, in a totally different style.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    You might wanna have a look at Shadowrun: Anarchy. It's in many ways Shadowrun light - and then there's some narrative rules, but ignoring them doesn't break anything if you're not keen on those. Though I have heard the German book I play after is more well-edited than the English one...

Worst houserule I keep using: Ignoring half the rules whenever I feel they get in the way.

Because honestly, that just points to us playing the wrong game system and is never quite fair in execution, no matter how much I try.

Edit: Ninjaed, but hey, double suggestion lends more credence, right?^^
    Last edited by Floret; 2018-11-22 at 05:28 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    There's always Shadowrun: Anarchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Floret View Post
    You might wanna have a look at Shadowrun: Anarchy.

Edit: Ninjaed, but hey, double suggestion lends more credence, right?^^
    Sounds like something to look into, yeah. Thanks!
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

you could use a wish to make any spell subject to permanency, the wizard used 3 wishes in one day
    "i wish to roll a 20 on my next spell pen"
    I wish the next creature i cast a spell on fails its saving throw
    I wish this magic jar i just cast on the tarrasque was permanent.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

In my early days as a DM a new player convinced me to use critical fumble rules. I dropped it after the first combat because experienced warriors kept dropping their swords and stabbing themselves while none of the casters were affected at all.

I've had the grave misfortune to have been in a game or two since that have used crit fumbles (only for a single session each, and I wouldn't have joined if I had known) and that mixed in with the horror stories I've read here have only reinforced my opinion that critical fumbles are dumb and just the worst.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Torpin View Post
    you could use a wish to make any spell subject to permanency, the wizard used 3 wishes in one day
    "i wish to roll a 20 on my next spell pen"
    I wish the next creature i cast a spell on fails its saving throw
    I wish this magic jar i just cast on the tarrasque was permanent.
    But... Magic Jar is permanent.

Or, at least, it was in 2e.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SodaQueen View Post
    In my early days as a DM a new player convinced me to use critical fumble rules. I dropped it after the first combat because experienced warriors kept dropping their swords and stabbing themselves while none of the casters were affected at all.

I've had the grave misfortune to have been in a game or two since that have used crit fumbles (only for a single session each, and I wouldn't have joined if I had known) and that mixed in with the horror stories I've read here have only reinforced my opinion that critical fumbles are dumb and just the worst.
    they are the worst because weapons users dont scale as well as casters and this scales negatively with the fighters

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a shame that there isn't some kind of universal "spell roll" that we could apply critical fumbles too. Magical mishaps tend to be a lot more interesting than dropping a sword...
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

25. - Top - End - #265

I guess there's 5e's Wild Magic table?
    Not always. Not every spell uses an attack roll.

However, a solution could be that if the target crits on their saving throw, they know exactly who cast it and what they were trying to cast. Might be grounds enough to give them advantage to attack the mage in question.

I don't mind critical fumbles too much, as long as they aren't life-threatening. 5% of the time, a god gets unlucky and can get hit by anyone, even a peasant child; saying that a warrior drops his weapon 5% of the time in active combat doesn't seem too unrealistic.

And that's exactly what I do in 5e. You crit fail, you just drop your weapon. I do have it set so that if your weapon requires two hands, you provoke an attack of opportunity to pull it out or to pick it up, which incentivizes players to utilize sidearms.

I still haven't found a solution I like when it comes to casting spells, though. Rolling a d100 every time you cast a spell just seems obnoxious.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Not always. Not every spell uses an attack roll.

However, a solution could be that if the target crits on their saving throw, they know exactly who cast it and what they were trying to cast. Might be grounds enough to give them advantage to attack the mage in question.

I don't mind critical fumbles too much, as long as they aren't life-threatening. 5% of the time, a god gets unlucky and can get hit by anyone, even a peasant child; saying that a warrior drops his weapon 5% of the time in active combat doesn't seem too unrealistic.

And that's exactly what I do in 5e. You crit fail, you just drop your weapon. I do have it set so that if your weapon requires two hands, you provoke an attack of opportunity to pull it out or to pick it up, which incentivizes players to utilize sidearms.

I still haven't found a solution I like when it comes to casting spells, though. Rolling a d100 every time you cast a spell just seems obnoxious.
    A 1st level Fighter has a 5% chance per round of dropping their weapon.

A 20th level Fighter has an 18.55% chance.

Why do they get worse at holding their weapon as they level?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    A 1st level Fighter has a 5% chance per round of dropping their weapon.

A 20th level Fighter has an 18.55% chance.

Why do they get worse at holding their weapon as they level?
    They don't get worse; they get faster. They're also fighting superhuman monsters, usually stuff that can murder you before you can blink.

I guess it's also worth noting that I also make it so that weapons wielded in two hands are harder to drop (make an attack roll, DC 15 to hang on to your weapon), with the intent to give more reason to use the Versatile feature on a one-handed weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

They don't get worse; they get faster. They're also fighting superhuman monsters, usually stuff that can murder you before you can blink.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...he-Gym-Fallacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

29. - Top - End - #269

You know, I'm actually a bit on board with this, at least in that I've never liked how there's no real cost or chance of mishap with using magic in D&D. Which is kind of silly because you're basically rewriting the fabric of reality; you think that would be really easy to mess up. I've been told that I would probably like Mage: The Ascension because it apparently does this much better.

I guess there's 5e's Wild Magic table?
    Outside of Mage: The Ascension, very few Wizards are rewriting reality. D&D Mages are, as a rule, following the rules of reality. WoD Mages are rather unusual for actually rewriting the rules of reality - which rules!

OK, it's not quite "level".

I guess it's also worth noting that I also make it so that weapons wielded in two hands are harder to drop (make an attack roll, DC 15 to hang on to your weapon), with the intent to give more reason to use the Versatile feature on a one-handed weapon.
    I've been sparring with you since you could barely lift a sword. I can tell you're getting better, because you drop your sword much more often now. In fact, you almost drop it as often as the Master.

... Is an observation that should have the opportunity to be made by no-one.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I don’t personally mind crit fumbles, but our DM has us roll again on a natural 1 to confirm, so that lowers the fumble chance below 5%, and then rolls d% for the effect, so the negative effect isn’t always dropping the weapon. It sounds like some DMs make every natural 1 an instant weapon drop, which I would mind a lot more.