New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC 2) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Anna's words seem to only cause the air to coagulate further, the presence growing in the space before them. "I care not for your studies anomaly," the presence says as the lights finally cut. Behind her, Anna can hear Autumn or maybe Lady Miho fumbling in the back that they brought. "This is my feeding grounds dead one," it says as a pair of red eyes, like headlights from hell, fall upon Anna, "and I will not have it disturbed."

The presence continues to assemble, a silhouette in the black tall and lithe, towering over Anna and the others, it's very presence the heat of an inferno, and the cold of frostbite.

Fred seems to struggle with Karl's question. He stumbles over his words as he says, "I'm not sure. I mean, I don't want to sound too paranoid, but I think I'm being followed by... by one of your kind. Nothing has happened, but I swear I'm being watched, even when I'm in my hotel room at night alone, it's like I can feel eyes on me. Just... get me out of here, as soon as you can."

"I'm looking forward to it, Aisling my dear," Alejandro says playfully, his words taking on a lilting musical quality. "But now you've piqued my interest. What exactly have you discovered?"
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

What the hell?

“Guys, are you seeing this?” Anna asked, drawing her sword in one smooth motion.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lady Miho just offers a slow nod, her lips pulling back in a grin as she stares up at the form before. Anna hears nothing from Autumn who stands behind her, though Victor offers a blubbering, "Yep".

The form before Anna continues to coalesce, rising till it becomes a massive figure with long branch like arms and spider like multi-digited fingers that bend back and forth at strange angles. It's head is contorted skull, marred by long insect like feelers and antennae, its sockets glowing with red lights like the headlights of a car. The thing's skin is tar black, and streaked with hairs and cord like appendages that hang down from its body. The thing's torso and lower limbs are a mess of wires and cords, clearly manmade, too thick to see through, and alive like a bed of worms. It glares down at Anna and the others with pure malice.

Lady Miho just stares up at the apparition, her eyes wide with delight. It almost sounds like she says something under her breath, but the words are too quiet for Anna to hear.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl says wryly, "Not to feed your paranoia, but you probably are being watched. If we are lucky, then the kindred of Europe are merely curious as to why your husband was killed by a kindred on their turf. If we are really lucky, in order to avoid a masquerade breach they might even be there to protect you in case the assassin comes back. Either way, if it is them, then they'll get their answers shortly."

"Still, best to avoid contact. We do not know for sure that it is the Invictus of the UK, nor can we be entirely sure of their of their intentions. If you need to go out, stay in crowded areas as much as you can. When settling down for the night, make sure the doors and windows are secure. Though I suspect you were thinking about that already."

"Listen, I need to talk with the lawyers as well while I can. Stay safe Fred, we'll get you home soon. Go ahead and call this number if you need to talk to me about anything sensitive, should be safe enough compared to my regular line."

If that was all from his nephew, Karl calls the lawyer firm next, quickly confirming his identity for them and asking for an update.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

What the heck was this thing...

Spoiler
    Show
    int + occult: (3d10)[8][7][6](21)
    10 again: (3d10)[10][1][10](21)

Anna’s grip tightened on the hilt of her weapon. She was fairly sure slicing through those wires wouldn’t be good for whatever this thing was.

“And what will you do when I purchase this hospital and add another wing?” Anna asked.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ogre in the Playground

"It seems my Sire was in contact - regularly - with the Fair Ones. Elathran to be specific. That is as much as I am aware of thus far. But I will continue digging. I can see why Blackstar was so interested in this. Do you think that flower is related, somehow?"

Alejandro seemed trustworthy, but Aisling would still be cautious going forward.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As it stood, Fred had nothing more to say, other than to thank his relative profusely and promise to stay safe. Following this, Karl contacted the offices of J.C. Bradshaw Solicetors. He again speaks with the office assistant, Penny, who this time puts him through to Mister Bradshaw, the chief lawyer of the office.

Bradshaw's voice is low and heavy with a Yorkshire accent. "Mr. Bauer I presume? Thank you for returning my call," he says, "let me start by assuring you that we have already composed a strong case for your grandson Fredrick."

Looking up at the creature that has collected itself and now clings to the ceiling above Anna, the Mekhet knows without a doubt this is no ghost or normal apparition. While Lady Miho would certainly know more, Anna could conjecture that this being was some form of spirit, a supernatural apparition related to the opening of ley lines rather than the ghost of some mortal.

Anna's question is met only with a low grumbling roar as the thing begins to crawl across the ceiling. It's many jointed appendages clack arrythmically as it pulls itself across the space above, slithering like an upside down snake. "Shall I destroy you before you can... abomination?" the thing asks.

Victor takes a step away from Anna, his face a mask of shock and terror. Neither Lady Miho nor Autumn seem phased, though Autumn has now pulled out from her bag a small device that looks like an old handheld video recorder attached to a turkey baster via a hose, and begins fiddling with a series of buttons on the device.

When Alejandro replies, Aisling can hear mirthful glee, "That would certainly make a lot of sense. I doubt she would could have produced such a flower using normal sources of blood magic."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Mr Bradshaw, I thank you for taking this on and acting so quickly." Karl starts asking a series of questions.

"I did not wish to press Fred for too many details given the shock he's endured, his alibi, is there concrete evidence confirming it?"
    "What kind of condition was the body in? Are we talking gunshot wounds, a knife?"
    "Do the police seem to be focused on him or have they found another trail to follow? I understand they won't have told you much if anything, just your gut impression will do."
    "Is there any indication of who might have done this? Or for that matter why?"
    "How likely is it that the authorities would prevent Fred from returning home for now? If it helps I would vouch for him not being a flight risk, I'm a respected private detective on our side of the pond. I... don't know how much weight that will carry with your courts, but I promised him I'd do everything I could."

Karl will go ahead and arrange for a funds transfer whenever prompted by the lawyer. He'd just found this spark, this last flickering candlelight of a real connection to the woman he'd loved, and he'd rather face the final death than let it be blown out, money was certainly not worth being concerned about.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-04-05 at 06:56 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“No, I don’t think I would like that very much,” Anna replied, moving out from directly under the spirit thing and holding her weapon defensively.

If her heart needed to beat, it would be pounding with fear and adrenaline right now. She hoped Miho and Autumn knew what they were doing, that they had some kind of plan. She wasn’t going to attack this thing first, in case Miho was gathering some kind of data, and hoped it had some kind of rule or something that prevented it from doing the same.
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Why yes Mr. Bauer, it just so happens that we were able to obtain the security footage from the hotel where your grandson was staying with his... friend. It shows a still unidentified man entering the room by force, and leaving discretely. The timing of the footage more appropriately lines up with the time of death estimated by the coroner. I suspect the department of justice will be dropping any charges against your grandson very soon," Bradshaw says very confidently. To Karl's offer, he simply says, "I assure you that will not be needed. My offices have everything well under control, though of course your willingness is appreciated. We will be pushing for your grandson to be taken off of the suspect list soon, and allowed to leave the country soon. I have asked him to go to the United States Embassy today to notify them of his situation, and have already sent message their way. I will work with their offices to expedite Fredrick's ability to leave the country as soon as possible. I assume this is satisfactory?"

As Anna moves out of the way, Lady Miho steps forward to place herself directly under the thing. "And what shall we call you spirit?" she asks, extending both hands up to the creature.

The spiky row of antenna that project from its cranium twitch and ripple with Lady Miho's question, but it does not reply.

Undaunted Lady Miho says, "I believe I have your measure spirit, and could banish you back to the twilight, if that is what you force me to do... though that is not my desire" Lady Miho's eyes glow with a fierce hunger as she stares up at the creature, and as far as Anna can tell there is no fear, only a familiar bestial thirst.

There is a booming thunderclap and the lights go completely out, leaving only the glowing beams of red of the thing's eyes as it begins to prowl across the ceiling as its digits clack arrhythmically. "I would see your bones twisted and your corpse in the sun abomination!" the thing's voice booms, though Lady Miho remains unmoved.

Instead, Lady Miho turns her attention to Anna, the same hungry confidence on her face and asks, "What would you have me do with this stubborn spirit?"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“I wanted to work together with it,” Anna replied, keeping her eyes on the thing, “or at least talk to it, learn more... but it seems bent on opposing or destroying us. We need to remove the threat it poses to our work.”
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

”That is what I was thinking, yes.” Aisling said. ”I do not know much of the Fair Ones yet, but I will continue to do my research. In the meantime, I shall see you later?”

When the call was complete, Aisling tucked her phone away and then secured the book in her bag.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Yes, that will do."

"Tell me, how difficult would it be to get at least a summary of the evidence collected, perhaps even a copy of that security footage? I have had a few death threats against me recently. That's unfortunately not all that uncommon, it's a hazard of the profession, but if this attack was something targeted rather than just random violence, it might have been an attempt to get to me through Frederick. I hope to get to the bottom of this as swiftly as possible, especially since Frederick may still be at risk."

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lady Miho grins at the reply and says, "I think it is some sort of dark spirit. Maybe one of suffering or death. It's damn territorial, that is for sure. Pass me the bouquet. " She reaches a hand back towards Autumn without looking, and the Ghoul passes her a small garland made of what appears to be withered dried husks of garlic tied to trio of similarly desiccated sun flowers. The item smells strongly of garlic and cloves and rot.

Lady Miho raises the totem up towards the monstrosity on the ceiling, causing it to recoil with a loud low moan. Lady Miho's grin widens to become a predatory sneer of satisfaction, and triumphantly she says "Perhaps we can engage in diplomacy still!"

"Yes, let's meet tomorrow before seeing the Prince," Alejandro says, before adding condescendingly, "and please make sure to come well fed. We wouldn't want any... slips, if you know what I mean." With that he hangs up.

(OOC: Fast forward to the next night?)

Mr. Bradshaw's response is flat. "It would likely take some time," he says in his heavy accent, "the footage is currently considered evidence. I suspect my office may receive a copy in a number of days if we request it, and if the courts allow it, I can have my office send you a digital file."

That's unfortunately not all that uncommon, it's a hazard of the profession, but if this attack was something targeted rather than just random violence, it might have been an attempt to get to me through Frederick. I hope to get to the bottom of this as swiftly as possible, especially since Frederick may still be at risk."
    "Oh, it was most certainly a targeted attack Mr. Bauer," Bradshaw says. When he again speaks up it is clear that he is carefully choosing his words, or at least wants Karl to believe he is trying to, "It is clear from the footage that the room was targeted. But, I question your notion that it has much to do with you. Pardon my impertinence, but you are aware of your grandson's... lifestyle, shall we call it?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl frowns, "I I am aware that the victim was my grandson's husband yes. But I was under the impression that your country was further along in regards to accepting that sort of thing than ours. After all, unless I'm mistaken, your country moved to legalize such marriages before we did. Are you telling me that murders with such a motive are relatively common there?"

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Anna took that as a cue to start negotiating again.

She moved forward a step to address the spirit.
    “For the last time, is there aid which we can offer each other, and is there a way we can have assurance we will not be betrayed?” she asked.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The heat in Karl's voice seems to give the man on the end of the line pause, and the plastic receiver in his hand creaks loudly with the stress of Karl's unintentionally tightening grip. After a moment's hesitation Bradshaw says, "No offense was intended, of course," though it is hard to appreciate any sincerity in his voice. He adds, "Fortunately, the murder rate here is quiet low in general, what with the regulation of firearms and all, but that does not mean the unfortunate hate crime does not occur here." There is a certain pompousness in Bradshaw's voice, perhaps partly related to his stuffy British accent. "Anyways, right now that is the only motive that we can find, though of course my office has little information on who this new suspect might be, as our primary concern is simply helping your grandson."

The thing on the ceiling hisses, it's double clawed mandible opening up and rattling to emit the terrible noise, before its spindly appendages shudder to life. The spirit quickly scutters away back down the hall, moving far faster than its massive size should allow.

As the lights flicker back on, Anna can see that the ceiling is smeared with a dark oily substance.

Excitedly, Lady Miho turns to her Ghoul and asks, "Did you get all of that? The reading must be exceptional." She clasps her hands together as Autumn nods her head in agreement and affirmation, before handing over the camera device. Lady Miho begins watching through whatever footage is recorded, her eyes locked on the camera's little screen in intense study.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna approaches nearby to try and get a look at what Miho is viewing without disturbing her.
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The video footage is of the thing on the ceiling, though rather than appearing as the black mass of antenna and IV tubes, the thing appears to be collection of swirling fluid colors. Lady Miho studies it for a moment longer, before pointing to a collection of purples and reds, and says to Anna as if reading a book to a child, "You see that there? Very interesting. That collection of lights there... it is some form of spirit of suffering, or maybe of death."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl frowned again, this time at his own behavior. Why was he angry? It's not as if he disagreed with the man, that sort of behavior was against the natural order of things and... oh.

Taking a moment to collect himself, Karl states, "Thank you for the excellent work, please keep me apprised of any new developments."

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    The video footage is of the thing on the ceiling, though rather than appearing as the black mass of antenna and IV tubes, the thing appears to be collection of swirling fluid colors. Lady Miho studies it for a moment longer, before pointing to a collection of purples and reds, and says to Anna as if reading a book to a child, "You see that there? Very interesting. That collection of lights there... it is some form of spirit of suffering, or maybe of death."
    “Hmm,” Anna said, studying the colors, “not sure why it hates us so much then, we bring plenty of both. Is there a way to bring it around? Otherwise can we maybe contain it to be studied, or in the worst case destroy it?”
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Happily Mr. Bauer," the man says in his cocksure British tone, "I hope by the time we speak tomorrow we will have your grandson ready to return home. You may even want to prepare plane tickets for later this week."

He adds, "Have a good evening Mr. Bauer, it must be pretty late there."

(OOC: Ready to move on to the next night?)

Lady Miho shakes her head. She says, "I'm not confident we will be able to work with it. Spirits are fickle things... and this one seems particularly strong and independent. But we will help you take care of it. Here, take this." Lady Miho hands the strange odorous bouquet to Anna, before collecting a second from Autumn. She adds, "I think this shall be more useful than your sword... though I suppose we will see. Are you ready?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Take care." Karl hung up, still not sure how to take his conflicted feelings over Fred's... lover.

(OOC: yep)

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl rises the following night, hunger growing like a small fire just behind his breast bone, and creating a dull ache in his eyes, and his throat, and in his tongue. Distantly, he can hear the Beast growling at him to feed.

(OOC: Karl spends BP to rise the following morning. I have updated your character sheet, he is down to 6/10)

Tonight Karl will meet with the new Prince. D'Agostino has summoned Karl for a private council at The Night Owl at 9PM, only a few hours before the Invictus meeting which will be held to elect a new Primogen to represent the Ivory Tower after The Prince's ascension.

Karl has a few hours to get ready; plan his wardrobe, feed, and take care of any loose ends, before meeting with The Prince.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna accepted the bouquet and sheathed her blade. There didn’t seem to be anything special about the bouquet but she didn’t want to question Miho.

“If we can’t be confident it won’t make things difficult I’d rather get rid of it, to be honest,” Anna said, “I am ready.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-04-11 at 09:13 PM.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Aisling had little time to feed before their 8PM meeting with Prince Gorman, but when she was ready, she and Alejandro met under the dim yellow light of a street lamp, blanketed in thick white fog. Alejandro held in his hands a large lacquered box, painted black and decorated with blood red snakes that raced around the box to bite their tails. The Crone was dressed in a tight, overly modern dark grey blazer over a billowing white linen dress shirt with two many buttons undone, tucked into tight dark blue slacks. But Alejandro was sporting his almost ever present puckish grin.

Leaning in close to Aisling he asks, "Should we review our plan before heading over to The Night Owl my dear?"

Lady Miho nods her head, still grinning hungrily. "Let's go," she says, before starting off down the hall following the trail of sludge that had collected on the ceiling. The smear leads the group to the end of the hallway, where a pair of ancient looking elevators dutifully await.

But he trail turns right down a more narrow hall that quickly terminates at a large metal doorway with a sign that reads, "Emergency and Acute Ward". But the light on the security panel by the door flashes back and forth between red and green, as if shorted. Behind the door Anna can hear the screaming and moaning of many individuals; a small and cacophonous riot that sounds to be building behind the door.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Titan in the Playground

Anna attempts to open the door. Assuming that doesn’t work, she’ll attempt to kick it open.
    Spoiler
    Show

Not expecting much from this:
    Str2 + brawl3: (5d10)[10][9][3][2][3](27)
    10 again (5d10)[8][9][8][7][1](33)
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The door opens up right away without any resistance. It opens up into a small square space, about four by four feet. The far wall and door are made of clear plexiglass, allowing a view into a large common space filled with drab unkempt sofas and lounge chairs. The lights are off in this space, except for the electric green glow of a digital clock that sits atop an outdated television on one side of the room. Fortunately, the darkness is not a significant burden for the Kindred.

On the far side of the room appears to be another plexiglass viewing theater; its lights on, though it is apparently empty.

Scattered throughout the room are a handful of individuals in forest green patient uniforms. Some sit on the furniture, a few stand and one are two are even seated or laying down on the wooden floor. However, all the patients in the room are screaming, eyes wide and faces twisted into masks of wretched terror. Their panic is so overwhelming that none of the patients notice the arrival of Anna and her fellow Kindred.

If Anna tries the door into the common space, she finds it also gives way without resistance.

(OOC: Please give me a Perception Wits + Composure roll on top of describing Anna's next move)
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Spoiler
    Show
    wits + composure: (6d10)[4][9][3][3][5][3](27)

Anna stalked into the room, doing her best to ignore the screaming of the terrified patients. If the spirit thing was responsible for this, she couldn't let it stay here. It could do it again at any time, and be a real nuisance. She'd have to get rid of it. Carefully, she looked around for where the thing might have gone.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-04-14 at 09:02 AM.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl sets out one of his better suits, but heads out to quickly feed before putting it on. No point in getting blood stains on the collar of his nice clothing.

He doesn't have much time to spare, so he heads towards the nearest bar, intent upon snagging someone heading home on their own.